From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 00:01:33 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >>No. Whether the UK had guns in the home or not, by 1941 they would all
> >>have been long gone. There was not enough metal to go roung for making
> >>weapons.
> >>

> > Bull, there was plenty for hand weapons, ships and tanks take a lot, a
> > bolt action rifle takes about 8 lbs.
>
> Why did they go round taking any spare metal (gates, fences, spere pans)
> for weapons if there was plenty of metal?

Because that metal was MUCH more useful as fragmentation in
250kg bombs than as fence posts.

Plus, the metal has already been purified, so it can be sent directly
to the foundary, without having to be smelted first like ores.

Think of such things as a "bank account" of pre-smelted metal, useful
in other capacities in peace-time, which was drawn out for weaponry
during war.

> >>Me having a gun would make no difference to a single decision the
> >>government has made in recent times. The only way it would have made a
> >>difference would be through armed uprising which is too extreme for
> >>anything that they've done recently.
> >>

> > Tell that to the Indians, or the children at Waco... Then tell me it
> > will never get worse, because the same organization which fed retarded
> > children radioactive isotopes to study radiation sickness, and prevented
> > black men from being treated for syphillis in order to study the
> > progression of the disease, promises never to oppress us...
>
> So you lot had guns, yet they were oppressed by the government anyway.

Actually, the national spectacle was such that since Waco, federal
law enforcement has refrained from using any more "cowboy" tactics.

The 'Freemen' in Montana; a church in Indianapolis; and someone whom
with the Internal Revenue Service has a dispute somewhere in
Massachusetts.

Yes, they died...but they brought so much attention to themselves
that the BATF has been seen for the wanna-Gestapo that they are.

> How did guns help them there, then?

They held the BATF at bay for over 60 days, didn't they.

> >  As for getting a shotgun, you can get one, *if* you live in the
> >  country, and
>
> you can get one for sport.
>
> > certainly not for the purpose of protection, that is expressly
> > forbidden.
>
> Forbidden, yes. But if somene breaks in to your house and you happen to
> have the key to your gun safe handy...

Prove that you didn't have it out already for the criminal activity
of protecting yourself.

> >>Well I think your wrong. Why don't you admit that I'm entitled to my own
> >>opinion?
> >
> > opinion != fact. You are entitled to your opinion, that doesn't make
> > your opinion correct.
>
> It doesn't make yours correct either. Your point?

> >>I don't trust either to treat me with courtesy. But I don't think guns
> >>are the solution.
> >
> > not *the* solution, *a* solution.
>
> And not a good one.

Yes, it is far better to just shut-up and die.
That *IS* after all, the proper English thing to do.

> >>And the government forces have avaliable guns of far higher precision
> >>and power than I would be able to afford. I may as well just use a bow
> >>and arrows for all the help a hand gun would be against trained army
> >>forces with fantastically expensive weaponary. Again, me owning a gun
> >>would do very little against a dictator coming in to power.
> >
> > You assume that a) all the military would side with tyranny, and b) that
>
> If the military didn't side with tyrrany, there would be no tyrrany

And sometimes, the military is split in either direction.

> > guerilla forces cannot win against a conventional force, both
> > assumptions are wrong.
>
> I'm not assuming that. If there is a war, people will sell the guerillas
> guns because there is money to be made. In that case I would buy a gun
> and fight.  Until then, I'd rather that guns weren't commonplace.
>
> -Ed
>

> --
>                                                      | u98ejr
>                                                      | @
>              Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox
>                                                      | .ac.uk

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Mircosoft Tax
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 05:11:58 GMT

Said Donovan Rebbechi in alt.destroy.microsoft on 26 Feb 2001 03:14:30
>On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 20:31:03 -0500, mlw wrote:
>>Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>
>>> Why should the operating system go down in price ? Has it
>>> become cheaper to design and write operating systems ?
>>
>>As a matter of fact yes. Any good "for profit" business should have recouped
>>expenses for initial development by now.
>
>Businesses are supposed to make profit. I mean, they're not supposed
>to say "OK, we've broke even, so let's try to avoid getting any more
>revenue"

That doesn't seem to have any bearing on what Mark said.  It is
business's competitors which are supposed to do this job, BTW.

>>That may be true, but the operating systems available 5 years ago are
>>fundamentally the same as those available today.
>
>So does this criticism apply only to Microsoft or is it true that no
>other operating system has improved ? I'd argue the opposite -- Linux
>and NT for example have both improved substantially.

There is a "ripple effect" embodied by monopolistic suppression or
innovation and market opportunities.  The fact is, once MS gained
monopoly power, back in the early 80s, the lack of a free market makes
all development, production, and pricing entirely suspect.

>>Incremental improvements are far cheaper than initial developments. So "next
>>versions" should be cheaper than new versions.
>
>If this was true, you would see a lot less rewrites. It's not unusual for
>complete rewrites of software to take place (Mozilla, Enlightenment, several
>other OpenSource projects), or for old software to be replaced by new
>software (for example what MS are doing to 9x vs NT).

I think the fact that there are re-writes is not enough to cast doubt on
the issue.  If your premise were true, in fact, there would be a lot
more rewrites.  There have been rewrites, which means it isn't
impossible.  That doesn't make it cost-effictive.

>This is despite the enormous compatibility obstacles and time investment
>required to do rewrites. Maintaining software is difficult, and gracefully
>refactoring software to adapt it to radically changing requirements is
>very difficult.

I would contradict my former statement, however, to agree with you that
sometimes, possibly often, it is far more efficient to start over
completely than to try to salvage previous works, simply because they
managed to provide some putative value.

OTOH, I've seen a number of quality products completely trashed by their
producers, because they didn't understand what the actual value
proposition of their software was.

>Moreover, software should be priced with a long term viewpoint -- eg for
>example, the software vendor might plan to get relatively little revenue
>on their first release because it will be a long term cash cow.

The fact is almost indisputable: software wants to be free.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 05:12:17 GMT

Said Chris Ahlstrom in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 26 Feb 2001
03:33:05 GMT;
>mlw wrote:
>> >
>> > Besides doubts about the assumptions of the argument, the logic
>> > is equally absurd -- why *should* software become cheaper ?
>> > Are they saying that it should get cheaper because hardware
>> > is cheaper ? If that's the case, why not complain that milk isn't
>> > getting cheaper ?
>>
>> Incremental improvements are far cheaper than initial developments. So "next
>> versions" should be cheaper than new versions.
>
>You all are missing my point.  Microsoft was almost giving away the
>office products a few years ago.  Now they're gouging you for it.
>Monopoly power.
>
>Chris

Well said.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 00:13:42 -0500

Matthias Warkus wrote:

> It was the Sat, 24 Feb 2001 04:53:17 -0500...
> ...and Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > There is a specific, long-term agenda here...to turn as many people
> > into 'convicted criminals' as possible.
>
> Yeah. It's a conspiracy at work, as usual. Be sure to wear an
> aluminium-foil inlay inside your hat the day the black helicopters
> come and start covering your home town with mind control rays.

You really are naive, and obviously have no understanding of what
drives a police-state, do you.  Study the methods used by the
Communists, the Nazis, and especially the post-WW2 Stasi.

The key to turning so many people into informants was to have
something to hang over their heads.

Do you think that every politician in the world has only the
best interests of "the little people" in mind?  If so, then
why do so many governments spend so much effort to kill any
citizens who voice any discontent.

> mawa
> --
> UNIX *doesn't* have a GUI. The Xwindows system is not part of UNIX. It
> extends Unix to give graphical interface using a message interface.
> Not local OS calls.
>                                                         -- Ian St John

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Brent Pathakis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: why open source software is better
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 05:14:47 GMT

John Hasler wrote:

> George writes:
> > So, what open source software have you written?
>
> Pppconfig, gpppon, a small part of gnucash, patches for a few other
> things.  You?
>
> > Personally, I am in favor of open source BMWs.
>
> So write one.
>
> > Too bad, BMW is not.
>
> Microsoft is not in favor of open source operating systems.  We have
> several, though.

---snip
 Something that is free always seems better than something you
have to pay for.  What do you do when the provider goes broke or
decides he is tired of working for nothing and leaves the industry?
---
I don't know who this proivider your talk about is....With the Linux
kernel, it's produced by a large team of people, as is most oss software.
It alreay has a good leadership, so if linus stepped down or couldn't
continue the product, someone else on the team would.

As for the "value in something free" ... I've used Linux for over six
years...here's the value...It does everything I need and want it to do.
That value enough.

------------------------------

From: Amphetamine Bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 21:15:05 -0800

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Erik Funkenbusch in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sun, 25 Feb 2001
> > >
> >Because, in general, when talking about monopoly we're talking post Windows
> >3.1.
>
> No, we're not.  We're talking DOS 3.0; MS might have merely had market
> power before that, though we must remember that even attempted
> monopolization

ISTR that IBM and MS had a per-processor agreement with PC
manufacturers as early as 1982-83.

And a friend of mine who worked in the OEM industry in Taiwan in 86-87
told me what MS was up to back in those days.  Seems that there was
this thing called DR-DOS that was better and cheaper than the MS
version.  Seems a lot of buyers, esp. European businesses, were real
interested.  Seems my friend sold quite a few of these DOS's
preinstalled until the MS Mafia found out and the order came down.
Everyone who wanted the good price in DOS had to sell MS-DOS and that
only, preloaded, on all PC's.  Seems anyone selling even one copy of a
competing OS preloaded would be blackballed.  My friend's company
wanted very badly to sell DR-DOS but if you did you would go out of
business just like that.  Overnight, you could not get a preinstalled
copy of DR-DOS anywhere in Taiwan.

Seems this monopolizing crap has been going on for some time now.
Just the stupid government never did much about it.  Recall that
Reagan was strongly against antitrust enforcement.

 (as in MS's early ROM BASIC shenanigans) is illegal.

What is this crap?  Never heard of it.
--
Bob - shooting the bozo bit at 550 MHZ :).  Wheeeeee!  ;)
Microsoft "Tech Support".

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 05:17:50 GMT

Said Donovan Rebbechi in alt.destroy.microsoft on 26 Feb 2001 03:30:43
>On Mon, 26 Feb 2001 02:05:22 GMT, Johan Kullstam wrote:
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi) writes:
>
>>no, but all the cost is in the initial design and writing.  once you
>>are past the non-recurring cost, the cost to stamp out yet another
>>cd-rom is virtually nil.
>
>Maintenance is not cheap. What percentage of costs involve maintenance?
>I recall that the percentage was substantial.

And entirely optional.  The product has already been sold.

   [...]
>>it should be cheaper because you've got more units shipped over which
>>to to amortize the initial costs.
>
>You're assuming that there are no other costs.

There are no other costs.

>Tell MS's operating system
>group that they don't have to go to work anymore, because the "initial
>development" has already been done.

They're working on the next version.  That's an investment.  If MS can
use their previous profits to fund it, so be it.  Pretending that's why
old versions are still expensive (or not available at all!) is just
missing the point.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,demon.local
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 00:17:50 -0500

Peter Hayes wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 01:04:50 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > "Gregory L. Hansen" wrote:

> > > It's against the law to cross the Minnesota border with a duck on your
> > > head.
> >
> > I wonder what turn of events caused THAT idiotic law to be passed.
>
> I was going to ask that, but you got in first :-)
>
> These idiotic laws are pretty harmless compared to RIP.
>
> There's lots of "spin" on the RIP website trying to address the human
> rights issues raised by RIP. Clearly, it'll take a court case to test it.

Thank GOD I don't live in England.

> Peter

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ]
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 05:19:04 GMT

Said Chris Ahlstrom in alt.destroy.microsoft on Mon, 26 Feb 2001
03:40:59 GMT;
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>>
>> CHAD-MYERS-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN
>>
>>     IMPORTS
>>         microsoft                  FROM ONE-MICROSOFT-WAY-MIB.my
>>         OBJECT-TYPE                FROM RFC-1212
>>
>>     myers               OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { microsoft W2K }
>>     chad                OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { myers 1 }
>>
>> ChadTrollStatus OBJECT-TYPE
>>     SYNTAX        INTEGER {
>>                     PASSIVE-AGGRESSIVE ASSHOLE(1),
>>                     LYING PRICK (2),
>>                     IGNORANT JERK (3),
>>                     FAT-HEADED TROLL (4),
>>                     MANIC DEPRESSIVE W/OCD (5),
>>                     NET KOOK (6),
>>                     UNINTELLIGENT SOCK-PUPPET(7)
>>             }
>>     ACCESS        write-only
>>     STATUS        unfortunate
>>     DESCRIPTION
>>             "Troll status of the net.kook Model 5; Chad Myers."
>>     ::= { chad 1 }
>
>Where's the VERSION_INFO, haw haw haw!

Its an old mib.

>I'm laying on the floor
>here, flopping like a carp, laughing my ass off.

:-D

From: Amphetamine Bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 21:19:52 -0800

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> >On Sun, 25 Feb 2001 17:10:20 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> >All this of course completely ignores the fact that there's no reason
> >why a drop in hardware prices (if it existed) would mean that there should
> >be a corresponding drop in software prices.

Yet there has been a corresponding crash in SW pricing all through
this whole decade, with the striking exception of Windoze.  Now why is
that??????

> Erik has the advantage on this one, to be sure.  Hardware prices always
> come down because production is a substantial cost.  Software is almost
> infinitely replicable; anything above $5 is monopoly pricing, or
> packaged support services.

Interesting.

From: Joshua Beard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is there anything like Net-Meeting on linux?
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 23:22:02 -0600

If you just want to share desktops remotely, try VNC.
www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 05:20:25 GMT

Said Chad Myers in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 26 Feb 2001 03:16:09
>"Ed Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> T. Max Devlin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >Said Chad Myers in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 24 Feb 2001 19:13:49

>> >Because there are theoretical vulnerabilities which do not exist in the
>> >maker's new (commercial) version.  Duh!
>> >
>>     Because by using such inflammatory and alarming language they hope to
>>     divert frightened people away from the free alternative.
>>
>>     I am amazed that Chad has not managed to misspell "fundamentally
>>     flawed" yet.  Anything dealing with "mental" is not his firmest
>>     ground. (Territory might be beyond his comprehension level)
>
>Spelling Schmelling. I'm too lazy to hit F7. I'll be the first to tell
>you spelling isn't my strong point.
>
>It's unfortunate that this is the only thing you have to argue. That
>personal attacks are your first target rather than the gist or
>merit of what I have to say.

Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!  Way to avoid a clue at all costs, Chad!