Subject: Re: Sherman Act vaguery [was: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?]
From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 21 Aug 2000 15:28:04 -0600

Larry Brasfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I believe that any attempt at criminal conviction under the Sherman
> anti-trust act, applied to the so-called "Microsoft monopoly", would
> have to fail on constitutional grounds.  Getting "monopoly" to refer
> to winner-takes-most situations is quite an achievement in
> stretching a vague concept, but it is still too vague to constitute
> fair notice of the sort that deflects constitutional challenges to
> vague laws used to deprive people of property or liberty.

I'll believe that Microsoft doesn't have a monopoly when I can walk
into any department store and buy software for a variety of operating
systems (or, otherwise be able to use them under my OS of choice).
I'll believe that Microsoft doesn't have a monopoly when I can order a
laptop and un-select Mircosoft Windows and Office 2000.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Open source: an idea whose time has come
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 21:30:34 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Craig Kelley
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on 21 Aug 2000 10:06:10 -0600
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> On Thu, 17 Aug 2000 23:05:38 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (phil
>> hunt) wrote:
>>
>> >Some recent events:
>>
>> You realize for each one of these events are are probably 1,000 closed
>> source programs being released?
>
>... and another 1000 that die, never to be seen from again; the source
>code lost to the world.

Some programs are better off left for dead.  Microsoft 'BOB' comes
to mind. :-)

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why my company will NOT use Linux
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:32:26 -0400

Said Roberto Alsina in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>Nathaniel Jay Lee escribió:
   [...]
>Code forking does happen. Who cares?

Everyone who uses the code, doesn't want to take on the full
responsibility of supporting their fork themselves, and sees benefit in
maintaining a single cohesive PC OS market.  And has enough brains to
see how they might be adversely affected by code forking.

>> I'm thinking this is a dead-end conversation.  I don't want to see Linux
>> forked,
>
>Why?

Because it will decrease the value of Linux to him, possibly quite
drastically, possibly mostly theoretically, but definitely decreased.
Its called "the network effect"; what software other people are using is
important to you, and whether you are using the same software.

>> I don't want to see it become a Windows clone.  You say it won't
>> be, or if it is I can just fork it.  What if neither of those options
>> sounds good to me (either use the clone, or fork the code)?
>
>Let's put it this way: if linux somehow did become a windows clone
>(as unlikely as that is), and you didn't find it "good" to fork,
>why should you be provided a free OS by those who spend money and/or
>effort creating one?

Because he's willing to pay for it?  But he doesn't want the price to
get too high because the more lucrative market is in making newbies
believe that you make a system more efficient the more unreliable you
make it, decreasing the availability of sources for more sane
engineering design?

>Quid pro quo, sir. You HAVE been provided a OS for free. Now you
>use it or you don't. You improve it or you don't. You influence its
>development or you don't. And that's all there is.

Yes, and he's trying to influence its development.  He isn't supposed to
have to fight the engineers in advocating good design; why are you
taking up the market-droid's fight for them, Roberto?

>Complaining that others use it or influence it or improve it in ways
>you don't approve is lame.
>
>You have all you need to keep linux from becoming a windows clone,
>should such a thing ever happen. If you choose not to, it's your fault.
>
>> That's my problem.  And it's not paranoia, it's a legitimate question.
>> ANd you sticking your head in the sand and saying, "I've never heard that."
>> doesn't change the fact that it is being said.
>
>Ok, let's assume it is. Why should anyone care?

Because its a stupid idea.  We thought you were technically competent
enough to know that.

  -- Such is my recollection of my reconstruction
   of events at the time, as I recall.  Consider it.
       Research assistance gladly accepted.  --

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:36:14 -0400

Said Nathaniel Jay Lee in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>John Sanders wrote:
>>         It will also have its own unique name which everyone will know.  And
>> whatever that name might be, I would like to give it its nick name now:
>> DORX.
>
>Would that then mean that there is a 'geek' version of Linux and a
>'dork' version of Linux?:-)
>
>I kind of like that idea.

We'd have to come up with a good contrived acronym for "DORX", though.

How about "Doesn't Obsolete Removable 'X'"?

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:38:31 -0400

Said Colin R. Day in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>Matthias Warkus wrote:
>

>> --
>> Miller's Paradox:  As a network evolves, the number of Nazi
>> comparisons not forestalled by citation to Godwin's Law converges to
>> zero.
>
>Shouldn't this be the proportion? The only way that the number of
>such comparisons to converge to zero is if it becomes zero and
>stays there.

Yea, I think that's what he meant.  ;-)

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:45:22 -0400

Said Nathaniel Jay Lee in comp.os.linux.advocacy;

   [...damn fine rant...]
>And another thing.  Why the hell do people think they should be able to
>use a computer with absolutely zero computer knowledge?[...]

Because Apple successfully sold Macintoshes with the idea, and when
Microsoft saw how successful it was they picked it up as well.  Its a
marketing fib, of course.  Where else would such a ludicrous idea come
from?

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split Save It?
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:39:54 -0400

JS/PL wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Mike Byrns wrote:
> > > Let me guess.  You are a Linux fanatic.  You hide it so well.  I'm just
> > > waiting for one of you psycho Line folks like Kulkis to mount a grassy
> knoll
> > > outside the Redmond campus and REALLY stand up for your cause.  Then the
> >
> > Don't tempt me.  Gates has destroyed so many lives that he has
> > sacrificed any right to his own.
>
> Are you saying you are tempted to kill someone, namely Bill Gates? Please
> expound on the threat. Who do you want to kill?

You really have a difficulty differentiating between the hypothetical
case and reality, don't you...

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Threats are a good way to get your ass into prison... (was Re: Would
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:40:11 -0400

"Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JS/PL) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>

> >"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >knoll
> >>
> >> Don't tempt me.  Gates has destroyed so many lives that he has
> >> sacrificed any right to his own.
> >
> >Are you saying you are tempted to kill someone, namely Bill Gates?
> >Please expound on the threat. Who do you want to kill?
>
> Yes, Aaron, please elaborate.
>
> Threatening anyone, by any means, be they the
> working class, celebrity, or leadership, is
> (read carefully, Aaron)
>
> A   V E R Y   S T U P I D   T H I N G   T O   D O.

You really have a difficulty differentiating between the hypothetical
case and reality, don't you...

> People file lawsuits for anything these days.  And
> the authorities do not take kindly to people who
> make such statements about highly profiled people.
>
> Keep it up Aaron, and you'll find Microsoft's lawyers,
> and the authorities on your ass like flies on a shit.
> --
> .-----.
> |[_]  |  Stephen S. Edwards II | http://www.primenet.com/~rakmount/
> | =  :|  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> |    -| "Even though you can't see the details, you can sense them.
> |     |  And that is what makes great computer graphics."
> |_..._|                      -- Robert Abel of Abel Image Research

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:40:38 -0400

"Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JS/PL) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> 8<SNIP>8
>
> >I have notified your ISP nbn.net and newsfeeds.com. Monday I will
> >contact the Pennsylvania Attorney General. I do not take death threats
> >very lightly.
>
> Let me know if you need anyone to back you up on this.
> I don't like people who toss around casual threats
> either, and seeing the two of them get their asses
> in a sling would bring me a bit of satisfaction.

You really have a difficulty differentiating between the hypothetical
case and reality, don't you...

> --
> .-----.
> |[_]  |  Stephen S. Edwards II | http://www.primenet.com/~rakmount/
> | =  :|  -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> |    -| "You are a waste of space; a disgrace to your profession;
> |     |  both the one you claim and the kindergarten student you
> |_..._|  act like..." -- Robert Moir to Aaron R. Kulkis in COMNA

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:43:36 -0400

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Mike Byrns in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >knoll
> >>
> >> Don't tempt me.  Gates has destroyed so many lives that he has
> >> sacrificed any right to his own.
> >
> >Whoa, there's a balanced opinion.  Who elected you judge, jury and
> >executioner?  Who in their right mind would? :-) I think strong
> >parmaceuticals are a better alternative if you're feeling tempted, Aaron.
>
> I was going to recommend a subscription to Guns and Ammo or Soldier of
> Fortune, myself.  All in good fun, of course.  :-)

No need.  I'm a combat veteran :-)

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:44:35 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Mike Byrns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:399c5f83$1$yrgbherq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >business
> >>
> >> You are a complete idiot!  The case is not finished.
> >>
> >> Do you come here because no one anywhere else will talk to you.  Your
> >brain
> >> damaged image of reality, makes normal people wonder.   -- I do think all
> >you
> >> trolls should start your own newsgroup and play with other.  The rest of
> >us
> >> can raise funds for a trophy that you morons can award to the dumbest
> >jackass
> >> between you.  Maybe we could somehow work it in with the Darwin Award, and
> >get
> >> rid of some other morons here.
>
> >Let me guess.  You are a Linux fanatic.  You hide it so well.  I'm just
> >waiting for one of you psycho Line folks like Kulkis to mount a grassy knoll
> >outside the Redmond campus and REALLY stand up for your cause.  Then the
> >world would see just how deluded and hateful of success some of you folks
> >are.  I'm not categorically damning all linux folks -- I think everyone knows
> >who this is aimed at, including the parties in the crosshairs, so to speak
> >:-)
>
> Guess again and check my message header if in doubt. -- Also, I'm not a
> fanatic at all. I'm just pointing out the truth that virtually all of the M$
> trolls here are either M$ paid jackasses, or folks who are several logs shy or
> a cord.  There is no other rational explanation of the behavior we see here.
>
> As to your whine about some killing in redmond -- its as nuts as what the
> wacko M$ trolls come up with. -- At the same time, I frankly don't care who
> thinks or does what because Gates made his own bed -- he is not a hero, his
> ethics are deplorable, his honor is non-existent, and if it happened we would
> probably get better software to boot. <s>.

Which is why his un-natural demise would be...fortunate.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re:
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:47:07 -0400

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Aaron R. Kulkis in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >Stuart Fox wrote:
> >>
> >> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> As a Unix Systems Engineer (whatever that is), you should know about
> >> something called a <dr evil>"killfile"</dr evil>.  Perhaps that's the best
> >> way to "keep their behaviour under control", and avoid pissing off most of
> >> the readers of this ng.
> >
> >Clue for the fucking clueless:
> >
> >       Putting someone in a killfile doesn't prevent them from
> >       spreading lies about me.
>
> If I ever start an obnoxious 'anti-troll' sig like you, Aaron, I will
> definitely include this.  You've made the archive at least.
>
> Now will you please abandon the "confirmation bias" which prevents you
> from realizing that your sig is not only obnoxious but useless and
> meaninglessly annoying?

It is far from useless.  It has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the number of
hit-and-run attacks by the individuals named within...which is
EXACTLY what I designed it to do.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:51:51 -0400

Ed Cogburn wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Stuart Fox wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > As a Unix Systems Engineer (whatever that is), you should know about
> > > something called a <dr evil>"killfile"</dr evil>.  Perhaps that's the best
> > > way to "keep their behaviour under control", and avoid pissing off most of
> > > the readers of this ng.
> >
> > Clue for the fucking clueless:
> >
> >         Putting someone in a killfile doesn't prevent them from
> >         spreading lies about me.
>
>         Clue for the really fucking clueless:
>
>         We don't care.  Your sig is a aggravation for a lot of people who are
> *not* in your sig.  Your making more enemies using it than you would
> have to worry about without it.  Do the right thing:  Kill the .sig.

Wrong.  The individuals named (other than Petrich) all engage in
hit-and-run campaigns consisting of meaningless red-herrings and
out and out lies against me.  I decided that rather than answer the
charges from these assholes individually, a blanket pre-dismissal of
their lies would be a better strategy.

My .sig has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the volume of such activity against
me,
which is exactly what I designed it to do.

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why Lycos Selected Microsoft and Intel
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 17:53:29 -0400

Simon Cooke wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Personally, I think there was a time when there was some very heavy
> > UFO visiting to our planet.  The ancient religious texts are just full
> > of descriptions which, if you take the authors at their word, correlate
> > very well with alien visitations.
> >
> > Could the "Book of the Dead" and the Old Testament both by ancient
> > versions of the Post-WW2 "Cargo Cults" in the Pacific?
>
> What about Stargate SG-1? Seems plausible to me.

Don't know...i'm unfamiliar with it.

> Simon

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.