Linux-Advocacy Digest #555, Volume #28           Tue, 22 Aug 00 10:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Open source: an idea whose time has come (phil hunt)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.           (Roberto
Alsina)
  Re: When it's time to not be nice... (was Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and  (Roberto
Alsina)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.            (Roberto
Alsina)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.            (Roberto
Alsina)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.           (Roberto
Alsina)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.           (Roberto
Alsina)
  Re: refrigerator using Linux? ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.           (Roberto
Alsina)
  Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.           (Roberto
Alsina)
  Re: FAQ for c.o.m.n.a Now Available! (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
  Re: Fragmentation of Linux Community? Yeah, right! (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re:    Anonymous
Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates) (Nathaniel Jay Lee)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (phil hunt)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Open source: an idea whose time has come
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 03:45:07 +0100

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 21:30:34 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Craig Kelley
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote
>on 21 Aug 2000 10:06:10 -0600
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>>> You realize for each one of these events are are probably 1,000 closed
>>> source programs being released?
>>
>>... and another 1000 that die, never to be seen from again; the source
>>code lost to the world.
>
>Some programs are better off left for dead.  Microsoft 'BOB' comes
>to mind. :-)

"Bob" probably only got as far as it did because Bill was shagging the
person in charge of it (he later married her).

--
*****[ Phil Hunt ]*****
** The RIAA want to ban Napster -- so boycott the music industry!   **

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates - Re: R.E.
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:57:15 -0300

[EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:

> Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:
> > >
> > > T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> of
> Usenet
> > >
> > > It is more so a problem when the person showing a lack of basic respect
> for
> > > the long time users of Linux is a member of a official development team
> of a
> > > well know project like Roberto is for the KDE development team.
> >
> > This is wrong in so many ways I must speak.
> > I show a lack of respect for long time users of Linux?
> > I lack respect for SOME of them, indeed.
> > I am a member of a "official development team" in the same way anyone
> > willing to spend his time coding is, so it's not too "official", really.
> >
> > > He seems to
> > > discount the concerns of the very user base that have assisted building
> OS
> > > into a platform that makes his project possible.
> >
> > Nonsense. If you feel a need to throw an ad hominem at me,
> > I'm game, but be specific, or go fuck yourself.
>
> Thank you, you have proven my point for me in this issue.

Whatever. It's a situation where anything I said would be
used against me, right? Fuck yourself is adequate, then.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: When it's time to not be nice... (was Re: Anonymous Wintrolls and
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:02:27 -0300

[EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:
> Besides in that original discussion Roberto was just another member of the
> Linux community participating in that debate until he got he brought the
> distinction of being a developer or just a user into the fray.

Oh, I see where this is coming from. I indeed believe people who
actually
write the code are to be considered with deference by those who only use
the software. If you don't like it, fine by me.

>  I was
> familiar with his relation ship with KDE, but KDE was not a subject of the
> discussion nor was its design philisophy.  I had been communications with
> him before and he seemed pleasent enough.  So when he started to make some
> invalid assumptions is that discussion of the relative merits of himself and
> the rest of those in the discussion, I thought to give him some private
> heads up.  My note to him was polite and just pointed out that more or less
> what I covered above about unacknowledged support.  His reply was two words
> and not polite.

I can't even recall the reply, however, I get 500 emails a day, more or
less.
If you have an issue with something I say in a newsgroup, speak it out
in the newsgroup. Or even post the email. I don't care. I don't even
think
that, had I told you to go fuck yourself on email (which I probably did
not)
that would show a general contempt for the linux users, only for you.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:07:23 -0300

[EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:

> Stephen S. Edwards II <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8nk4aq$qbk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > It is more so a problem when the person showing a lack of basic
> > > respect for the long time users of Linux is a member of a official
> > > development team of a well know project like Roberto is for the KDE
> > > development team.
> >
> > How has Roberto shown a lack of basic respect for
> > the Linux community?  He's helping them by helping
> > to build a codebase for an interface that they might
> > find useful.
> >
> > > He seems to
> > > discount the concerns of the very user base that have assisted
> > > building OS into a platform that makes his project possible.
> >
> > Huh?  Just because he thinks that GNOME isn't
> > the bees knees, and that anyone who does, doesn't
> > know what their missing with KDE?
> >
> > Of course he's going to be biased... he's a part
> > of the KDE project.  It's unfair to expect him
> > to be anything otherwise.
> >
> > And why should he care what the masses of Linux
> > users think of KDE, as long as he enjoys what
> > he is doing?  He's doing them a favor, not the
> > other way around.
>
> This is not in relations to the the Gnome verses KDE debate is an entirly
> sepperate discussion in which Roberto has been rather abusive of long time
> members of the Linux community.  In a discussion that had nothing  directly
> to do with KDE, it was about the future path of Linux and keeping the kernel
> clean, reliable, and stable.  His position seems to have been that those who
> have worked with Linux for many years and have made it the OS that it is
> have less right or even no right to state their concerns over the future of
> the OS, as opposed to the desires of those who have never used Linux.

Bullshit. I didn't say that. Go read the damn thread.
Whenever Nathaniel Lee said I was saying that, I said "no
I am not saying that, I am saying this other thing".

If I did say something that could be understood to mean that, I suppose
the 10 times I said I didn't meant that should clarify :-P

Here's what I want to say: You don't like the direction linux is going?
Work and fix it. It doesn't make any difference if you have contributed
in the past or not, really, you still need to work and fix it.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:12:25 -0300

[EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:

> Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 14:05:43 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > >This is not in relations to the the Gnome verses KDE debate is an entirly
> > >sepperate discussion in which Roberto has been rather abusive of long
> time
> > >members of the Linux community.
> >
> > You describe "long term members of the Linux community" as though they
> > were venerable war veterans or something. Clue: they are not. Most of the
> > people I've seen Roberto get mad at are those who contribute nothing to
> > the Linux community, and yet find it their place to pass judgement on
> > developers who contribute their time, energy, and passion to the free
> > software movement.
> >
> > >have less right or even no right to state their concerns over the future
> of
> > >the OS, as opposed to the desires of those who have never used Linux.
> >
> > Where does he say this ? Can you give us a quote or a deja URL ? I believe
> > you are misrepresenting him.
>
> Read back this thread and the "Why my company will NOT use Linux" thread.
>
> Here are a few choice fibers from the threads:
>
> Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Nathaniel Jay Lee escribió:
> >
> > > I don't want to see it become a Windows clone.  You say it won't
> > > be, or if it is I can just fork it.  What if neither of those options
> > > sounds good to me (either use the clone, or fork the code)?
> >
> > Let's put it this way: if linux somehow did become a windows clone
> > (as unlikely as that is), and you didn't find it "good" to fork,
> > why should you be provided a free OS by those who spend money and/or
> > effort creating one?
> >
> > Quid pro quo, sir. You HAVE been provided a OS for free. Now you
> > use it or you don't. You improve it or you don't. You influence its
> > development or you don't. And that's all there is.
>
> After that post of Roberto's I emailed him suggesting that he should use
> caution with the assumption of the lack of contribution by members of the
> Linux community to the community.

Mind you, I would apply just as esily those paragraphs to me as to
anyone
else: I HAVE been provided a OS for free, now I use it or I don't. I
improve it or I don't. I influence its development or I don't. And
that's
all there is.

I really see nothing insulting about it.

[snip]

> Latter in the thread Nathaniel did say that he has developed for Linux.
> Roberto ignored Nathaniel's statement and latter said, "You should say more
> constructive things, or even better, do things."  I responded to Roberto's
> comment and got this reply.
>
> Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:
> > >
> > > Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Do you know for a fact, that Nathaniel has not done things to improve
> Linux?
> >
> > No, I don't. Of course it's easy, just say "oh, I did this", and I will
> > shut
> > up about it.
> >
> > > On the obverse of that, I don't know for a fact that you have done
> things to
> > > improve Linux.
> >
> > Well, I, on the other hand, know :-)
> >
> > --
> > Roberto Alsina
>
> The key statement here was:
>
> > No, I don't. Of course it's easy, just say "oh, I did this", and I will
> > shut
> > up about it.
>
> So I reminded Roberto that Nathanial had all ready addressed that issue.
>
> Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:
> > >
> > > Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> improve
> > > Linux?

> will
> > >
> > > Didn't he already say that?
> >
> > I must have missed it. No big deal anyway, since the argument died
> > already.
> >
> > --
> > Roberto Alsina
>
> Nice, first Roberto state that if Nathainal claims that he has contributed
> he will back off on that point; but, when it is pointed out to him that
> claim had already been stated, he says to the effect that is makes no
> difference.

In the middle, I had reached an agreement with him to let the thread
die.
If the goal was to make me shut up about it, it was already done, thus
it made no difference. No big deal.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:13:49 -0300

[EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:

> Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > I'm game, but be specific, or go fuck yourself.
>
> Now what did I say the earn a reply with that tone from him?

Y9ou said something like that I disrespected the linux user base, or
some such. Can't tell, because you sniped it.

> That alone speaks volumes about the future of Linux, if he is a true example
> of the current developers of the big Linux projects.

Nah, I'm just an example of me.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:16:34 -0300

"T. Max Devlin" escribió:

> Said Roberto Alsina in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:
> >>
> >> T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> It is more so a problem when the person showing a lack of basic respect for
> >> the long time users of Linux is a member of a official development team of a
> >> well know project like Roberto is for the KDE development team.
> >
> >This is wrong in so many ways I must speak.
> >I show a lack of respect for long time users of Linux?
> >I lack respect for SOME of them, indeed.
> >I am a member of a "official development team" in the same way anyone
> >willing to spend his time coding is, so it's not too "official", really.
> >
> >> He seems to
> >> discount the concerns of the very user base that have assisted building OS
> >> into a platform that makes his project possible.
> >
> >Nonsense. If you feel a need to throw an ad hominem at me,
> >I'm game, but be specific, or go fuck yourself.
>
> Good for you, Roberto.  You have every right to say "fuck you" to anyone
> who second-guesses you.
>
> But if you don't mind, could you accept an honest and humble plea to
> re-examine, possibly, even double-check, whether your being as honorable
> in your support of a project which seeks to extract profit on
> potentially dubious value?

Hmmm... KDE doesn't seek to extract profit. So no.

>  Do you really think so little of your
> ability to write software?  Shouldn't your honest work be sufficient for
> providing an honest and equitable level of profit without preventing
> access to the ideas which underlay your efforts?

I have no clue of what you are talking about.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: refrigerator using Linux?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:06:02 -0400

Karri Kalpio wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Craig Kelley wrote:

> > > http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/faq/part1/
> > > Read the part about signatures before you complain about other's
> > > posts...
> > my .sig doesn't interfere with readability.
>
> It does interfere with the netiquette, however.

"netiquette" was written in the days of 10MB hard drives and 300 bit/sec
modems.

Get over it.

> --karri
>
> --
>          /"\                              : Karri Kalpio
>          \ /     ASCII Ribbon Campaign    : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>           X      Against HTML Mail        : [+358] (40) 5926895 (mobile)
>          / \                              : [+358] (9) 75111771 (work)

I: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire

J: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:20:39 -0300

"T. Max Devlin" escribió:

> Said <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> >> It seems to be the central issue, I think.  If it is simply a matter of
> >> one Usenet poster showing or failing to show respect for another Usenet
> >> poster, I'd suggest it has nothing to do with the Linux community.
> >> Though I must admit that Usenet is a much stronger part of the Linux
> >> community than most other communities.
> >
> >It is more so a problem when the person showing a lack of basic respect for
> >the long time users of Linux is a member of a official development team of a
> >well know project like Roberto is for the KDE development team.  He seems to
> >discount the concerns of the very user base that have assisted building OS
> >into a platform that makes his project possible.
>
> Screw KDE.  Its a commercial development project.  They're trying to
> leverage free software for their own private gain; GNOME rules.  Any
> ideas KDE can come up with, GNOME can replicate.  That's not FUD, that's
> the god's honest truth.

I don't get it. Do you know the address of KDE corp. by chance? ;-)

> The only thing they have is the talent of their programmers.  I refuse
> to impugn Roberto's programming capability due to his opinion.  He isn't
> working for a big commercial software developer, maybe, but that just
> means he's an amateur whore.

Hey, nice. I'd just say I'm too friendly towards casual coding
aquaintances.

> Now, I have to point out that I don't have anything against whores.  I
> think anybody should be free to do what they think is ethical, and I
> refuse to impugn Roberto's ethics because of his opinions on these
> matters.  He's not wrong; he's just mistaken.  It seems to me that if
> the investors who pay Roberto were confident in their product, they'd
> admit that the only reason they'd need to keep any of their code
> 'commercial' is because they want to profiteer, and can't be satisfied
> with simple honest profits on their production.

The investors that pay me don't pay me to code, they pay me to be the
director of the technical department of a local office of a linux
distribution (http://www.conectiva.com.ar/staff.php3).

And in fact, I have not coded much since they started paying me.

Most of the code I have released was coded on my own time.

> And if Roberto were
> confident enough of his coding abilities, he'd resent their insistence
> that they need to restrict access to it in order to make a profit on it.
> He should have more of an interest in building his intellectual capital
> by maintaining ownership of is work.

All my released code is free. Just go to ftp.kde.org and start
downloading.

> Software is a unique form of intellectual property.  Perhaps we've been
> attacking this from the wrong end.  Rather than talk about how the
> product is ultimately licensed, why don't we talk about whether
> Roberto's combination of both engineering design requirements and
> original creative development should ever be denigrated by being
> considered work-for-hire.  Not even the people who "own" his work
> understand it, he might well believe.  Doesn't that mean he should have
> some say in how its used?

I own my work, I better understand it!

> Kill the proprietary library licensing and KDE will work just fine.
> Keep it, and I'll give it no truck to it.

Cool, give no truck to us :-)

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:23:07 -0300

"T. Max Devlin" escribió:

> Said Donovan Rebbechi in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 23:05:04 -0400, T. Max Devlin wrote:
> >>Said <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >
> >>Screw KDE.  Its a commercial development project.
> >
> >That is an outright lie. KDE is free software. Even RMS agrees that
> >QT satisfies the definition of free software, despite his misgivings
> >about that license.
>
> Maybe you should clarify.  AFAIK, KDE requires the 'consumer' to agree
> not to copy certain libraries.  This is not free software.  Please
> correct me if I'm mistaken in either regard.

You are mistaken.

> I reserve the right, of course, to differ with RMS's opinion on the
> matter, should the mood strike me.

Cool.

> >> They're trying to
> >>leverage free software for their own private gain;
> >
> >How so ? Whose "private gain" ? Are you trying to argue that Roberto has
> >a secret agenda to release his software under a proprietary license when
> >no-ones looking ?
>
> I was under the impression that KDE was a directly commercial venture
> which seeks to make money on distributing their developments.  I don't
> consider that an inherently unethical act, but I do question why it is
> considered competitive with GNOMES purely open approach.

What gave you such a weird impression?

> >> GNOME rules.  Any
> >>ideas KDE can come up with, GNOME can replicate.
> >
> >WHy reinvent the wheel ? If they can't do anything but clone KDE, they're
> >wasting their time IMO.
>
> Au contraire.  If they can clone KDE, and release it from anything more
> than GPL license restrictions, they've accomplished a great deal.

A lot of KDE code is "more free than GPL". Check out the KOffice
licensing.

Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
Subject: Re: FAQ for c.o.m.n.a Now Available!
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:22:58 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:
>Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:
>>
>> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:

>> >You're unfamiliar with Tweety and Sylvester, aren't you....
>>
>> I'm extremely familiar with them.  I love looney tunes.
>> But I fail to see the humor in acting childish (and I'm
>> sorry, but the above seems extremely childish to me).
>
>So is a *plonk* comment....which I chose to illustrate via Tweetybird.

Actually, I don't find the *plonk* comment that childish.
Especially for someone as deserving as you. :-|

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Fragmentation of Linux Community? Yeah, right!
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:32:36 -0300

Craig Kelley escribió:

> Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Craig Kelley escribió:
>
>  [snip about linking KDE with Qt in a GPL manner]
>
> > > The people who *wrote* the GPL say that.
> >
> > Actually, no, if you mean RMS, that is not what he has been
> > saying lately.
> >
> > Lately there has been lots of arguments in newsgroups and
> > mailing lists about GPL's power to avoid dynamic
> > linking with non-GPL code. The consensus lately seems to
> > be that the FSF's position is not obviously right, or
> > even the opposite.
>
> First of all, I agree that it is stupid.  I like KDE.  (I also like
> GNOME.)  But the FSF have been adamant about this issue, and if RMS
> has changed positions, I'd like to see what he says now -- so you have
> a link about this?

Sure.

http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-legal-0006/msg00062.html

Mind you, this is not what he actually SAYS in person, or at least
he didn't bother saying it two weeks ago when I saw him, which made
him lose some image points for me.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
Subject: Re: Is the GDI-in-kernel-mode thing really so bad?... (was Re:    Anonymous
Wintrolls and Authentic Linvocates)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:29:42 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>> If I ever start an obnoxious 'anti-troll' sig like you, Aaron, I will
>> definitely include this.  You've made the archive at least.
>>
>> Now will you please abandon the "confirmation bias" which prevents you
>> from realizing that your sig is not only obnoxious but useless and
>> meaninglessly annoying?
>
>It is far from useless.  It has SIGNIFICANTLY reduced the number of
>hit-and-run attacks by the individuals named within...which is
>EXACTLY what I designed it to do.

I have a question for you.  How SIGNIFICANTLY has it
increased the number of 'I hate Aaron's sig' postings?  I
would think eventually you would realize that you are
annoying the piss out of everyone for what a few 'might' do.

Seriously, why piss off people that might otherwise take
you seriously?  Unless of course, you are just one of
those that considers that sort of thing fun.

Nathaniel Jay Lee