  Re: filename extensions are NOT a kludge

From: Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Public v. Private Schools
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 19:30:42 -0600

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Jason Bowen wrote:

> > > No.  I'm merely pointing out that you are clinging to eco-propaganda
> > > because you are a were a loser in high school, and becoming a
> > > control-freak is your chosen route for revenge against all of those
> > > who teased you unmercifully in high school.
> > >
> > > How long was it before someone unlocked the locker they stuffed you in?
> >
> > Aaron you are the ultimate bitter pussy.
>
> That must be why I'm a highly decorated war veteran.

You'd think you could find pride in that to not have to be so bitter
here then.

> >                                       You've been beaten down, your
> > college degree resulted in system administration, and frankly usenet
>
> I'm clearing $100,000/year.  How about you?

How does pay certify standing?  There is a dearth of it jobs out there,
I'm making more than many americans and I'm still in school.  So what
was your degree Aaron?  Where you a cs major that couldn't cut it?  Mike
Tyson makes Millions each year, he must be more intelligent than you.

> > is probably were you get your only sense of empowerment.  Tough talking
> > usenet poster, what a man.  Here's a dollar, go buy some balls.
>
> When was the last time you dodged machinegun fire..wimp.

Dodges machine gun fire AND spends his days on usenet not backing up his
claims.  So why do you need empowerment on usenet if you have already
satisfied your idea of manliness?

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Global warming. (was Public v. Private Schools)
Date: 19 Sep 2000 01:59:12 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Notice Aarons persists that I am from the left and doesn't provide proof
: for his claims.  A stinking pile of shit has more sense than him.

Judging by his response to my most recent posting on this thread, I
think he thinks I'm left-wing as well.  Which, if so, proves that he
didn't read a damn thing I said (here or anyplace else).

The reality is that I'm a libertarian, just as he claims to be, and I
do not advocate any position, on this or any other issue, that would
support or condone the notion of initiation of force or fraud.

Also, I've made it clear that I do *not* think that there is any proof
yet that human activity has contributed significantly to global
warming.  At least one of the points that Aaron, Bob Germer, and
others have made is extremely valid, namely, that forces beyond our
control contribute FAR more to CO2 levels, and to nearly every other
factor that influences climate, than we do, or possibly could.  I
don't believe that point is even in dispute.  But since the
relationship between CO2 levels and global temperatures is not known,
we aren't able to conclude yet that even small changes in human
activity will not produce a large change in climate.  I don't think
they will, but we don't know, and until we know, CAUTION - not despair
- will continue to be warranted.

Joe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A transfinite number of monkeys)
Subject: Re: Unix more secure, huh?
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 02:02:43 GMT

On Mon, 18 Sep 2000 23:59:33 GMT, Otto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: : : to be really bad news for Windows (correct spelling). Let's forget the
: : : rpc.statd problem and focus on Windows exploits. Linux computers will
: still
: : : continue to fall pray to old exploits, but that's ok, as long as you can
: : : show that Windows OSs are more vulnerable. What a great argument....
: :
: : My machines most certainly are NOT vulnerable.  Kind of a bit of a hole
: : in your argument...
:
: If it is connected to Internet, then it is vulnerable. Your system might be
: more protected than others, nonetheless, it isn't fool-proof.

No, it's connected to the 'net, 24x7 even.  I never claimed it was 100%
invulnerable to any sort of attack.  You seem so very fond of the recent
rpc.statd and wu-ftpd attacks.  Well, I'm not running NFS, so rpc.statd
is a non-factor (though I installed the patches anyway), and I'm not
running an FTP server either, though I do have an FTP daemon installed,
and it's not wu-ftpd.  By virtue of either using a different package, or
not running the affected software, my machines are in fact, not vulnerable
to the attacks you've been harping on.

: : Obviously you don't know anything about modern network intrusion detection
: : systems.  The better ones not only have attack recognition built in, but
: : also can "respond".  In other words, not only can the IDS *detect* an
: : attack, but it can also *respond*, abating the attack condition.  For
: : example, you can configure an IDS to nuke a syn flood by sending the
: : appropriate packets to the machine that's under attack.  OR, you can even
: : set up an IDS to take a retaliatory stance, such as ping flooding someone
: : who starts port-scanning you, probably not advisable, but possible.
:
: The very same ping/syn flood can take out your own network also for the
: duration of the retaliation. Check-mate comes to mind, not to mention the
: fact that hackers can gang up on you and then you are really in trouble. You
: won't have a chance to defend a ping/syn flood with the same.

ping flood, yes, but that's not a security compromise.  That's just a DoS
attack.  syn floods are another DoS, but can be avoided using an IDS.  I
may be wrong here (not likely), but I've never heard of a root compromise
that was the result of a ping or syn flood.  Besides, you're getting hit
with big nasty ping floods?  Call your ISP, they'll be glad (if they're
worth more than a nickel) to block the ICMP requests bound for your
netblock(s) at their border routers.

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.

From: Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 20:05:25 -0600

"Joseph T. Adams" wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : Notice Aarons persists that I am from the left and doesn't provide proof
> : for his claims.  A stinking pile of shit has more sense than him.
>
> Judging by his response to my most recent posting on this thread, I
> think he thinks I'm left-wing as well.  Which, if so, proves that he
> didn't read a damn thing I said (here or anyplace else).
>
> The reality is that I'm a libertarian, just as he claims to be, and I
> do not advocate any position, on this or any other issue, that would
> support or condone the notion of initiation of force or fraud.
>
> Also, I've made it clear that I do *not* think that there is any proof
> yet that human activity has contributed significantly to global
> warming.  At least one of the points that Aaron, Bob Germer, and
> others have made is extremely valid, namely, that forces beyond our
> control contribute FAR more to CO2 levels, and to nearly every other
> factor that influences climate, than we do, or possibly could.  I
> don't believe that point is even in dispute.  But since the
> relationship between CO2 levels and global temperatures is not known,
> we aren't able to conclude yet that even small changes in human
> activity will not produce a large change in climate.  I don't think
> they will, but we don't know, and until we know, CAUTION - not despair
> - will continue to be warranted.
>
> Joe

I haven't claimed the we have caused global warming.  I said there is
unrefuteable proof that we are modifying the atmosphere.  With this
knowledge we need to monitor ourselves.  The people that argue against
this are probably the same people crying about gas prices.  You rely on
an inelastic good and cry when you get screwed by it.  You deny what is
taking place and only acknowledge it might be real if you are affected
by it.  It is the same thinking, wait till it happens and then cry then.

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: 19 Sep 2000 02:14:14 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: "Joseph T. Adams" wrote:
:>
:> To ensure this, we must avoid both extremes.  We must not destroy
:> people's livelihoods in a vain attempt to meet arbitrary or
:> unrealistic goals that might not be necessary or even worthwhile.  At
:> the same time, we must not ignore the mounting evidence that warming
:> *is* occurring, that human activities *may* be contributing to it, and
:> that the costs for dealing with it *will* be staggering.
:>
:> : Humanity is not even a blink of an eye in the Earth's history and
:> : it's not about to be destroyed by us.
:>
:> Unlike some of my more left-leaning peers, I'm not concerned about the
:> destruction of Earth, so much as I am about the destruction of human
:> (and other) life on it.
:>
:> Joe

: Paging Chicken Little
: Paging Chicken Little

: The Sky is Falling!

Aaron, if you ever bothered reading what I wrote, you would see that
I'm mostly agreeing with you.  So why all the hostility?

You used to be a relatively reasonable, sane, and valuable contributor
to this forum.  Lately though (past 1-2 years) you've been doing
nothing but attacking anything that moves, even folks who mostly agree
with you.

It seems to me that you have a problem with anger, and if that is the
case, there are better ways to deal with it than venting it here in
full view of thousands of folks on Usenet.  This kind of behavior
detracts seriously from your credibility and effectiveness, and I
believe you are capable of much, much better.

Joe

------------------------------

From: ken klavonic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So did they ever find out what makes windows98 freeze up all the
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 22:13:26 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <8q61qj$9r2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Dan Jacobson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > So did they ever find out what makes windows98 freeze up all the time?
>
> That never happens unless you've violated one of the following rules:
>
> 1. Never ever install any system-level software not from Microsoft.
> This includes all vendor-written device drivers.  Use only Microsoft
> developed drivers that were included in the original Windows 98 CD.
> 2. Don't install any after-market hardware, memory, or peripherals.
> Adding hardware to an empty motherboard is risky business.  Besides,
> these may require you to install "questionable" drivers (see above).
> 3. Never remove or rearrange any hardware for the same reason.  Windows
> is like a mother hawk to its IRQs; if you pluck an IRQ from its nest and
> then try to put it back, Windows will detect your scent on the IRQ.  It
> could likely abandon the nest, and all the IRQs will starve and die.
> 4. It is important to remember that only the original configuration of
> your system is the one that is "certified for Microsoft Windows 98".
> Once you start fiddling about with all those switches and cables and
> such, you've introduced significant instability in Windows.  Merely
> toggling the "0" and "1" switchy thingamajig to the "1" position can
> wreak pure havoc.  Leave it where the manufacturer had it set; they know
> better than you do what works and what doesn't.
> 5. Avoid running any "applications".  Even software from Microsoft has
> been known to occasionally cause lockup problems, so it is best if you
> simply avoid running any applications whatsoever.  If the system
> manufacturer had wanted their box to run applications, then they would
> have pasted stickers all over it that said "certified for Microsoft
> Flight Simulator 2000" and so on and so forth.  The "official" Microsoft
> certification sticker is your friend; heed its advice.
>
> I do hope this helps somewhat.

6. To completely guarantee that Win98 won't crash even after going
through precautions 1 through 5, simply leave the machine switched off.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How low can they go...?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 22:27:14 -0400

Said Mike Byrns in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>>
>> Said Mike Byrns in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>> >"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>>    [...]
>> >Max, care to post the proof that AOL is still contractually obligated to use IE
>> >even though Gecko won't work with AOL client yet?  Wake up.  What little
>> >credibility you have left is on the line.
>>
>> I don't work like that.  If you try real hard, you might be able to
>> learn how to think well enough that you aren't entirely convinced that
>> the real world is defined by press releases.
>
>You don't work like that?  What, you won't provide proof of your
>assertions?  I wasn't asking for a press release, Max.

I don't play games with trolls.  If you can refute my assertions, feel
free.  If you can only hem and haw and argue from ignorance, you're
wasting your time.  State your case or shut your trap.

>I just don't
>believe that AOL would allow themselves to be roped into a long range
>binding contract with Microsoft when they had plans to buy Netscape to
>replace that technology.

Then you're a moron.  The entire industry has gotten trapped by a
monopoly.  You can try to blame everyone but the criminals by calling it
'being roped into' whatever, but that's just spin-miestering.  Despite
Case's apparent claims to the contrary at the time of the acquisition,
it was known prior that AOL was locked in to using IE for several years.
The question was whether they would also support Netscape, which Case
was spinning as "our option".  If these are trivially incorrect facts,
then you can scurry around and dig up the 'straight scoop', but to be
perfectly honest, the entire discussion is academic.  You don't stop a
monopoly by second-guessing everything that happens in the market and
figuring out how it must be something other than the blatantly
anti-competitive actions of the monopolist which must be causing the
problems.  That's not reasonable.

>I don't think that AOL is contractually
>obligated to use Windows Internet technologies any more than the next
>developer who does.

It wouldn't surprise me if they weren't.  Only a moron would assume that
there aren't lock-in contracts whenever Microsoft is involved.  They're
not interested in competing on their merits, remember; they don't see
anything wrong with breaking the law.

>I cannot find any evidence to prove that they are
>at least.  I think they are just using the only component internet
>technology worth using until they can get their own running.

Same thing.

   [...]
>> LOL.  I was just using Neoplanet again on my friend's PC.  Yes, its IE
>> under the covers; they're relying entirely on whatever 'IE/Win' DLLs
>> they need to provide functionality on top of a fancy skin, and that's
>> about all.  Iexplorer.exe has nothing to do with it.
>
>Exactly, Max.  You're coming along.

Don't get condescending with me, you little puke.

>In fact you've proven your previous
>assertion that Neoplanet was just a skin for Internet Explorer to be
>wrong.  [...]

So long as you figure that, like Microsoft, you are free to flip-flop
back and forth between what one thing is called and what another is,
you're in an entirely unfalsifiable (ie, incorrect) position.  Its a
troll game; thanks for playing.  I'm bored now.  It didn't work with the
federal judge, when Microsoft tried it, either.

http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/f3800/msjudgex.htm

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: 19 Sep 2000 02:30:33 GMT

[...]

I basically agree.

:  With this knowledge we need to monitor ourselves.

I agree, to the extent that fundamental human rights are not damaged
in the process.  (This is where I part company with the radical left.
Solutions to environmental problems do not and should not require
destroying individuals, businesses, or communities.)

:  The people that argue against
: this are probably the same people crying about gas prices.  You rely on
: an inelastic good and cry when you get screwed by it.

There is good reason to be concerned about fuel prices.  It was unwise
for people to develop entire societies based upon the assumption of
constant and relatively low fuel prices, but nonetheless it happened,
and going back and changing the past is no longer an option.

: You deny what is
: taking place and only acknowledge it might be real if you are affected
: by it.  It is the same thinking, wait till it happens and then cry then.

I'm encouraging people to think and educate themselves about this
issue now.  Human ingenuity has solved virtually every problem our
species has faced, except for its most serious problem, which is human
nature itself.  Ignoring a problem won't make it go away.  Despair and
handwringing won't make it go away.  But *if* a problem such as global
warming is in any way within our ability to control - and the
evidence, while falling short of absolute proof, does suggest that it
is - then putting our minds to work on the problem now, rather than
later, seems to be the most reasonable way to proceed.

Joe

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 20:35:24 -0500

ken klavonic wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >   "Dan Jacobson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > So did they ever find out what makes windows98 freeze up all the time?
> >
> > That never happens unless you've violated one of the following rules:
>
> 6. To completely guarantee that Win98 won't crash even after going
> through precautions 1 through 5, simply leave the machine switched off.

7. Store it in a tank of anti-freeze.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 02:37:59 GMT

"Jason Bowen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> This is the best Purdue has to offer?  Wow, I am stunned by the level of
> student they put out there.

<completely off topic of the off-topic topic>
Do you know why some of the new 2001 automobiles have the brights switch on
the floor again instead of of steering column? Because too many Purdue
students died with their foot caught in the steering wheel...

God I love that one. It's a little kid joke, but it's still funny.
I grew up born and raised an I.U. fan so I have a million purdue jokes.

Somewhat odd that my wife is a Purdue graduate. She's also a Catholic and
I'm a Lutheran. It makes for wonderful holidays and game days =)

-Chad

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 02:32:11 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> As for who is being the asshole; you presume to pass
> judgement over *me*?? Just what the fuck have /you/
> done you little shite?

Whoa there, cowboy. You need to chill out. Have a Coke or something.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: filename extensions are NOT a kludge
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 02:55:43 -0000

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 00:30:31 GMT, Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Brian Langenberger wrote:
>
>> The users can already dictate the sort of file they're
>> creating simply by the contents of that file.  If I save
>
>No, they can't. Users do not create PNG files,
>applications do.
>
>There is a world of difference between files created
>by /programmers/ (with software being a delegate
>of the programmer's will, *not* the user's!) which are
>almost always typed (either by using binary formats
>or by using filename extensions) and files which are
>created by /users/, which tend to be untyped because
>programmers don't give a shit that it would benefit
>users.
>

>> a nice PNG to disk, why should I need to tell the system
>> that it's a PNG again by naming it in a certain way?
>> And putting a .gif at the end of it certainly won't
>> transform the file into a GIF.  At best, the extensions
>> system puts the burden of file classification on the user
>> where it doesn't belong.
>>
>> Even for text formats, the use of special naming techniques
>> is difficult to justify.  If "my songlist" is a file
>> that contains a list of newline-delimited audio files,
>> I should simply be able to open it with a player rather
>> than having to name it "my songlist.list" or some such
>> thing.
>
><rolleyes> The question isn't whether the application
>should restrict the user to only files of a certain type,
>the question is whether the shell should be able to track
>associations that users /choose/ to specify. I want to be
>able to double click on "list of songs.playlist" and have
>it play, but I can't because its CLASS is "text" and your
>magic-dependent system doesn't understand /types/.

        Says you. There's no reason that such an arbitrary
        restriction would be in place. Such a thing only
        serves to bolster your non-arguments.

        Typing a file by content only exposes more information
        to the shell. No restrictions are placed on policy.

>A type doesn't refer to what kind of object it is, but to
>what kind of use an object is meant to be put to. And
>the correspondence between classes and types breaks
>down catastrophically when you're talking about objects
>meant for *users*, and not processes, to manipulate.
>Have you never wondered why rc files are called rc
>instead of being in binary format and having magic?

        Text files are more USER friendly. That set of users
        may be restricted. However, it is you that is arguing
        for needlessly burdening the end user.

>What about C source and header files? It's because
>those files are meant for actual human beings to use,
>not applications. They're typed because they are meant

        That's funny, I thought DevStudio is an application.

        Typically, it's the end user that is going to be less
        flexible when it comes to data formats. Computers are
        great at translating symbols and executing mathematical
        operations. Whereas mere humans have limited capabilities
        in this regard.

>for programmers, not users, and they're using filename
>extensions for typing because they are meant for human
>beings and not machines.

        Extensions aren't the only facility possible for that
        sort of thing. It's probably just the method that most
        people are accustomed to.

[insane drivel including the assertion that one cannot be modular in C deleted]

--

  Think honk if you're a telepath.