From: "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.4!
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 13:32:32 +0800

"Bartek Kostrzewa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Well, I just moved to 2.4 test 9... I must say, I'm impressed! All my
> USB devices working... great... great... great *jaw lying on the ground
> after compilation* ... WOW! I love it!

yawn... Windows 2000 has had USB support since its inception.  Also, Windows
2000 has *drivers* for the USB devices so that you can actually *use* them.

What good is USB support with the drivers for the devices?

> Hmm.. with this kernel, and some more work by the GNOME foundation and
> Helixcode Linux can finally kick some real butt on the Desktop (together
> with NVidia hardware, we just need a damn open-source GL driver *g*).

Linux is going to need a hell of a lot more work before it is suited for the
desktop.  But then again, don't take it from me, just look at the market
today.

> I'm so proud.

Only a Linux user would be proud of a hacked OS that just got a feature that
has been around on other OSes for quite some time.

BTW, according to recent tests on www.tomshardware.com, NVidia hardware runs
OpenGL faster on Windows 2000 than under Linux.

Why even use Linux??

-Todd

hehe... I can just see the flames comin' now.  It's just so easy to counter
linux with Windows 2000.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hotmail still runs BSD.
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 00:49:42 -0500

It appears that the ad and gfx servers are running FreeBSD.  But I think
these are actually part of the bCentral site that MS bought (used to be
LinkExchange).  The Hotmail specific LE servers have hotmail domain names.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: What kind of WinTroll Idiot are you anyway?
Date: 5 Oct 2000 05:38:05 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Mike Byrns <"mike.byrns"@technologist,.com> wrote:
> "." wrote:

>> > OK.  You need a new video driver.
>>
>> Actually I did one better, I traded W2K for windowsME.  That driver works.

> Even a Windows advocate will concede that Windows ME is reprehensibly bad compared
>to Windows
> 2000.  I think you should try a clean install of Windows 2000 and immediately
>install the driver
> from http://www.3dchipset.com/beta/nvidia/631/win2k.html

I dont know about that.  I did a nice, clean install of W2K professional, everything
worked
just fine; right up until that very specific potentially driver problem.  Also, I
noticed that
my W2K install was noticably slower in the graphics department than the windowsME
install.  Yes,
I turned off all unnessesary services, etc. :)

>> > Why didn't you give the description of the problem in more than moderate detail?
>>
>> Because honestly, at the time I didnt feel like typing three pages worth of
>diagnostics,
>> and I knew that other people had experienced the problem and was hoping that someone
>> could be a bit enlightening as far as the exact cause.

> Fair enough.  I'm sorry.  You know you can tell Windows 2000 to save that bugcheck
>in a file
> using the system control panel?

Yep.

>> > Were you
>> > afraid the blame would fall on nVidia rather than Microsoft?
>>
>> I'm more than willing to blame NVIDIA for shitty driver, as has been shown in
>> my previous posts. What I was trying to do here was narrow down the problem and
>> hopefully, again, get some detail as to its specific cause.

> Again -- consider the forum.  Folks are always coming in here and looking for ways
>to make
> Windows look bad.  Defensive is the norm :-)

Oh I dont think windows needs my help to look bad, but honestly there are very few
operating
systems that (imho) are good at all.

>just
>less
>>
>> > Even though it's less mature code that's been through about a tenth the iterative
>> > development and compatibility testing as the Windows 9x driver?
>>
>> Yes.  I didnt say that I found it pathetic, I said that I found it interesting.

> I'm not having trouble with 6.31.  Of course I wasn't having trouble with the
>released Det3's
> either...

Heres something interesting; I did hear from one other person that has the same exact
video
card and driver...he told me that he had a similar problem until he *overclocked* the
processor
on the card to 195mhz.  Weird.

=====.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why should anyone prefer Linux to Win2k on the DeskTop
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 00:56:33 -0500

"Perry Pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:59:19 -0500,
> Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >"Perry Pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> I bought Solaris 7 both x86 and sparc versions about a year or so ago
> >> for $10 plus shipping. Looks like now they are only selling Solaris 8
> >> for $75. But you can install it on as many machines as you
> >> like. That's certainly cheaper than W2K.
> >
> >Not a commercial license.
> >

> From the main page: http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/binaries/
>
> "For only the cost of media ($75 US) plus shipping, you can use the
software
> on an unlimited number of computers with a capacity of 8 or fewer CPUs."
>
> From FAQ at http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/binaries/faq.html
>
> "You can use the Solaris 8 runtime environment at home or at work, for
> business or personal computing."

I see you conveniently forgot that we're talking about Solaris 7 and below.

And since when did the cost of media = $75?

------------------------------

From: Mike Byrns <"mike.byrns"@technologist,.com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 05:50:02 GMT

"." wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8rbsj5$29bm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>
> >> No, but DMA is often optional.  You can turn it on, you can turn it off.
>
> > Why can't you turn it off?
>
> I just said you can turn it off, lightbulb.

He did, Chad.  I've already made the mistake of being overly defensive with DOT.
He's either not a Penguinista or is choosing not to appear as one.  I, for one,
think his recent posts are both well reasoned and tolerant of my "rabid windosis".

------------------------------

From: Mike Byrns <"mike.byrns"@technologist,.com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 06:32:42 GMT

But so much quieter and less interesting I'll bet :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Darren Winsper)
Subject: Re: Linux and Free Internet?
Date: 5 Oct 2000 06:45:03 GMT

On Wed, 04 Oct 2000 15:37:33 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Also, I'd like to think of a Linux Free ISP as creating
> its own ad-bar software for the "AOL-Effect": by making
> connections even easier than KPPP or EZPPP, coupled with
> free internet software, users are more likely to get
> Internet accounts and expand the testing user base.
> (which leads to faster bugfixes and less downtime for
> everyone, so its a win-win situation)

Well, those of us in the UK have http://www.uklinux.net, and they don't use
an ad-bar thankfully.

--
Darren Winsper (El Capitano)
ICQ #8899775 - AIM: Ikibawa - MSNIM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Gardiner Family <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 19:36:36 +1300

what type of user are you?  from the sound of you grammatical sentence
formation, you sound like a very sorry teenager with an extremely big chip on
your sholder.     UNIX/Linux is moving from the server to the desktop compared
to Windows move from the desktop to server.  Unfortunately, Bill and his friends
have proven too many times that they never deliver on their promises.   Back in
1993-1994 (when many users were eager for a copy of Windows 95 that was released
the following year) Microsoft laid the frame work for Microsoft Networks,  a
Windows NT server and Windows 95 for each client.  However, many business found
Windows 95 extremely unstable, as a result Microsoft released a cut down version
of Windows NT, Windows NT Workstation.  Also, Microsoft proclaimed Windows NT
Server as the UNIX smashing server OS, however, bugger all people adopted it as
their main server plaform, and if they did, the majority either moved back to
their original plaform or to UNIX or Netware.

Matt

------------------------------

From: Gardiner Family <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Migration --> NT costing please :-)
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 19:51:34 +1300

adam, gid-day from a fellow kiwi.  Here are some sites that use linux/UNIX for
their website:

WINZ (Work and Income New Zealand)
New Zealand Government Website
Telecom
ihug
zfree
majority of proxy servers in New Zealand
RNBNZ (IBM AIX)

the list goes on and on, Windows NT is a product that never lived up to its
supposed "UNIX Smashing" reputation that was originally declared by bill gates
back in 1993-1994.

Matt

------------------------------

From: Gardiner Family <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 20:10:44 +1300

Chad, not be rude, have you ever used UNIX in your life?  I consider, in my humble
opinion, 30 years of development to be a great legacy to builder apon.  For
example, look at the development process of Windows Datacentre.  A complete
re-write for each version.  UNIX can scale from a Workstation (such as an SGI or
Sun Ultra Sparc 5) up to a mainframe class system.  The fact that Windows NT has
gained it popularity is not because of technical superiority but because any old
twit who can use a mouse can setup a Windows NT server.  I currently have SuSE
Linux installed on my machine with ReiserFS and I experience no problems,
completely stable, fast, when I kill a process, it actually dies, does hang around
like in Windows, rip out a PCI card whilst computer is running, Linux doesn't give
a toss, Windows 2000 crashes to a black screen of death.  Before you post, run a
server with UNIX on it.  Then after several years experience then comeback and
stand on your soap box.

matt

------------------------------

From: Gardiner Family <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows+Linux+MacOS = BeOS
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 20:15:42 +1300

I have used BeOS in the past and the app server is not very stable, the net server (in
charge of network cfg) is extremely unstable.  I have switchd completely to Linux with
no regrets.

matt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jesper Krogh)
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 09:58:38 +0200

> Why even use Linux??

If you re happy with using microsoft products, then fine with that.
Some other havenīt sold their soul to microsoft.

But, I guess you have never felt the power of a unix workstation in your hands,
thats why you can clain this. When you have, you wouldnīt even think about
turning back.

--
./Jesper Krogh.
The Goal is world domination, no more, no less.