From: roger@invaid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: C++ is very alive!
Date: 26 Nov 2000 22:37:27 -0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, mlw says...

>I fully understand your point and completely agree, but important
>concepts are not something you can "look up" they are things you must
>understand. This is the difference.

But most of your quiz questions were not asking about concepts. It was
asking about details.

Even concepts could be pushed to the back storage on one's mind after
years of not using it, but could be brought back to the front after
some reading.

>I have to look in a book to remember how shell sort works,
>but that does not mean I do not understand it.

the above do not make sense. If you understand it, then you must
know how it works.

The only concept one needs to know, is what 'sort' is. The rest is
just details. I do not care if one knows anything about shell or binary
or quick sort. As long as they know enough about algorithms and how to
read and have the brains, they can look it up when needed.

>Take for instance, qsort, my favorite example, one must understand how
>it works to evaluate it correctly for an application.

But you just said above "I have to look in a book to remeber how shell
sort works". Now you are saying that one must understand how qsort works.

make up your mind.

If someone has not used qsort, then they will not remember how it works,
but they can look it up. why does not need to remember how things work if
they can look them up when needed?

Use your brain for something more important that just a storage device.

>Should someone not understand the differences between hash tables and
>AVL trees? Both can be used for the same thing, but why would you use
>one over the other?

When I have a problem that needs me to know the difference, I lookup it
up.

>How would you find the most important colors in a bitmap to create an 8
>bit palette?

I'll look it up.

Roger

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 02:41:23 -0500
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler review.

[trimmed comp.sys.mac.advocacy]

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> I've finally gotten whistler (pro, 2296, beta 1), and I'm *liking* it.
> For those of you who doesn't know what this is, whistler is an the new OS
> (the one that will inherit both win2k & win ME) from Microsoft, destined to
> finally eliminated the 9x line.

OK, fair enough.  It sounds pretty nice, esp. the behavior you've
described when ctrl+alt+delete is pressed.  IMO, UI only matters to end
users, but I guess that's what Microsoft's aim is:  ease of use, etc.
You forgot to mention how well it runs your existing Win 95/NT 4.0/Win
2000 apps.  Also, how well does it run Win 3.1 apps?  Can you format a
floppy and do anything else while the floppy is formatting?  Just
kidding.

It would be nice if you'd include, as I said, how well it ran your
existing pre-whistler Windows apps, and the percentage success rate.
Did your Win 95/8 apps crash a lot?  Were they more/less stable than
when running natively on Win 95/8?

There's something else I'd like to find out.  I've got FreeBSD on my
primary HD.  I've got a second HD on the slave of the primary IDE
controller.  When I try to install Win 95, it tries to make a partition
on the end of the first HD (on the master).  This is frustrating, as it
doesn't allow me to choose the second HD as a place to install Win 95.
How well does Whistler handle a situation like this?  Of course, it is a
rather old version of Win 95, but I'm still curious.

- Donn

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 02:58:30 -0500

Matthew Soltysiak wrote:

> > I DON'T CARE!!!
> >
> > I will still continue to run my Linux System which has performed for me better
> > than anything MS has ever done.
> >

> Ok, so go away... why did you respond to this?  Stupid linvocates.. whistler will
> continue windows domination over the world.
>
> --
> Matthew Soltysiak
> Comp Sci/Soft Eng

Whatever school you're studying at....I'd transfer out of, if I were you.

> ICQ: 3063118

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 02:58:59 -0500

Matthew Soltysiak wrote:

> I have a p3 500...128 meg ram...runs fine... at least it's GUI doesn't segfault as
> much as KDE or GNOME!  haha.. :)  oh brother.

No...yours just locks up the whole damn machine...

> kiwiunixman wrote:
>
> > Spicerun, calm down, I think Ayende is a little excited because Windows
> > may actually reach the realiability of UNIX/Linux (which is very
> > unlikely due to its very poor design/achitecture), however, I don't
> > think it will happen.  From the description, it seem like Whistler will
> > be mega-mega-mega-mega-mega-mega-mega-mega-mega bloatware that will
> > require a 1Ghz processor and 512MB RAM just so that it can run a decent
> > level of responsiveness due to all the hairy-fairy addons a gizmo's
> > Microsoft has added to the OS (which most people don't really need).
> >
> > kiwiunixman
> >
> > spicerun wrote:

> > > I DON'T CARE!!!
> > >
> > > I will still continue to run my Linux System which has performed for me better
> > > than anything MS has ever done.
> > >
> > > <EOM>
>
> --
> Matthew Soltysiak
> Comp Sci/Soft Eng
> ICQ: 3063118

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 02:59:44 -0500

Matthew Soltysiak wrote:

> Aaron, get a life.  The guy likes Whislter, so be it.  Leave him alone.  In fact, i
>like
> it too.  My eng. buddies and I love it.  Beats the hell outta Linux for usability.
>Take a

You're obviously going to a 3rd-rate college.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.