From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Maximimun Process Size 555Mb ?
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 16:48:10 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I don't know what is going on with your machine, but I am running
2.2.16SMP and I can allocate 2G of memory in one process. Using memset,
it takes for ever to initialize, but I can allocate it.

What could be an issue is that you are using malloc. and allocating
small chunkc of memory.

I am not sure what the overhead is, but you are allocating 500M 1 byte
chucks, that could be a three byte overhead per chunk. Putting your 500M
bytes up to 2G.

Process size is heap + stack + static + code. That is limited to
2147483647 bytes. In newer kernels, one can up this to, about, 3G. But,
signed memory addresses can sometimes destroy otherwise working
programs.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: spicerun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: To all you WinTrolls
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 21:10:50 GMT

There is a difference between just evaluating Linux against Windows knowing
what you'll make the outcome to be, and seriously trying out Linux for a while
to see what it can really do before comparing it objectively to Windows.  You
have shown no signs that you have done anything at all with Linux other than to
use it as fodder against your Windows system so that you feel good about
running Win2K.

Todd wrote:

> I am called a wintroll here, but I also have RedHat Linux 6.2.

Having RedHat Linux 6.2 doesn't rescind your wintroll status.  When you decide
to seriously look at Linux and be objective about it, then you might be taken
seriously.

> I've compiled the kernel a couple times and done this and that.  Linux ain't
> bad.  I've used it now for quite a while (ever since 6.2 was released).

Yeah, you've used it to keep comparing it to Windows, not for any real work I'm
sure.

> But it isn't nearly as good as Windows 2000 nor as feature complete.  Heck,
> most UNIX are way better than Linux as well.  For example, HP-UX / Solaris /
> FreeBSD.

Only a wintroll would put Win2K in the same classification as HP-UX/ Solaris /
FreeBSD.  Frankly, I think this is an insult to HP-UX/Solaris/FreeBSD.

And How would you know HP-UX/Solaris/FreeBSD is 'way better than Linux'?  If
you won't try Linux seriously, why should I believe that you've ever tried any
other non-Windows system seriously.  Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if you had
tried Solaris and thought Win2K was better (especially with the way you
evaluate).

As far as the other Unixes being better than Linux, I would agree...but I won't
agree with 'way better'.  I do know of some Unixes that are worse than Linux
(I'm thinking of the PC Version of SCO Unix......that was downright painful for
me to use, especially trying to make it cooperate with a Solaris machine).

------------------------------

From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 17:27:04 -0400

"2:1" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> MH wrote:
>
> > "Gardiner Family" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Windows 2000 is a great OS, however, it is very top heavy, on a clean
> > startup on a
> > > machine with 128MB ram, 65MB RAM is already used by Windows, if thats
not
> > >excessive,
> > > I would hate to know what is!
> >
> > What has this have to do with the price of a Sunday paper? All this talk
> > lately about ram consumption. Why? If you don't have 128 mb's of ram in
your
> > machine by now you don't take c o m p u t e r  u s e  v e r y  s e r i o
u s
> > l y, DO YOU?
>
> That's utter bullshit. Why the hell should I waste money (which I don't
have
> too much of to waste) upgrading my computer when it works well as it is.
If my
> OS took up 65M of ram an a clean boot, I'd be pissed off too. Oh, by the
way, i
> do take my computer use very seriously, I'm just able to do it in less RAM
than
> you.

Then you're not running much, are you? I don't call adding ram to my pc a
waste of money. On a standard red hat installation without X running you're
looking at 30mb's minimum. You can trim that for sure. But what do you have?
A really good shell or two, a decent compiler, a few good editors and not
much else.
Launch X and you're near 60mb's if you're running a recent (popular)
desktop.
Ram bloat -waste was the issue. A year ago ram was less < $1 a mb. I bought
it up at that price.

> > Look at what the desktop user is getting for that 65mb's. Most of the
> > libraries for web browsing are loaded, and the GUI is worlds more
> > sophisticated (read productivity).
>
> Real productivity? Are you capable of realising that other people like
> different things from you? I do a lot of programming. What use is a big
GUI for
> me? Hint... NONE AT ALL (I use vi and SVGATextMode). I personally don't
like
> the windows GUI. The lack of focus-follows-mouse and MDI interfaces really
bug
> me.

Of course. When learning C, linux was great. I didn't have my choice of too
many 'free' C compilers for windows. The c++ compilers for learning c on
windows are like swatting a fly with a bazooka. Shell programming is fun. I
like it. If that's all you need then that's great!
But, guess what, the other 90% of the computing world wants more. More means
more ram. Simple to me..what's the problem? As for the mouse focus, tweakui
provides this, with options for the window activation as well. MDI is going
going just about gone as well. MS dumped it inWord 2000. Other apps will
follow. RAD packages make more sense as MDI, so do databases and so on. If
you want to stay in a terminal based world then that's fine.
But don't cry when we're talking about ram needs for modern gui based
computing.

> > With Linux on the other hand, every time I want to go online I have to
> > launch that horrifically bloated and buggy NN (which takes forever it
seems)
> > and gobbles up ram like YOU wouldn't believe. NN is the only thing I
believe
> > that makes the linux box swap. (96mb's of ram)
>
> Jees, you must have a real dinosaur if loading NN takes for ever. It's
fine on
> my 133.

We all know the problem with NN. After all that slop is cached, it's not too
bad. Even then though, it's not exactly a speed demon. The box in question
is a P8 200\256. Better than twice the power of the p5 133.

> > The only problem I ever have with Linux is when loading big
> > "windows-world" applications. These same applications that are as much a
> > part of the computing world right now as bash is to linux.
>
> I have had no real problem running Word Perfect, Star Office, Netscape and
even
> Office 97 under Linux.

I've not run office 97 under linux..hehe.. but star is a complete bug fest.
Word perfect I'd like to try one day.

> > Linux shines when
> > it's doing what it is good at. It's not a windows replacement, nor can
it
> > compete with windows on the desktop in its current state. Anyone who
comes
> > in here and say that they are "rid of windows" has either made up their
mind
> > to make sacrifices in applications, hates MS on pure principle, never
really
> > needed big windows applications anyway, or is just content to hack with
free

> > tools and put up with a third rate web experience.
>
> I would say that my 3rd rate web experience (under all OS/Browsers) is
caused
> by poor website design.

Please! Talk to any web designer, they'll tell you that NN is the LEAST
standards compliant browser there is! It handles some forms terribly. The
listbox widgets are archaic, .. I could on, but it's such common knowlege
I'm bored by the prospect. I know many people who were NN die hards. After a
few spins with I.E., even they had to admit it was on a magnitude greater
product.

> Also, I'm rid of windows for all except a few games. I have had to make no
> sacrifices in terms of applications, and as it turned out, no, I never
really
> did need those big applications anyway. There are many smaller, better
> alternatives around. Eg, pico+latex beath the hell out of most word
processors.

I think that's fine. So be it. But, and a big but, go to a hospital, a
college, a high school, a ..go ANYWHERE, they are using windows\office\I.E.
Get used to it, it's not about to change soon.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How low can they go...?
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 17:52:35 -0400

Said JS/PL in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
>
>> >What's that have to do with the your statement:
>> >
>> ><quote>
>> >"Enough said.  You're entirely and completely wrong.  WHO has the right
>> >to deny anyone access in public forums?"
>> ></quote>
>>
>> Nobody has the right to deny access in a public forum.  According to the
>> law you cite, the provider or user of an interactive computer service
>> cannot be held liable for any *good faith* restriction.  You haven't
>> been referring to any good faith restrictions; just to a blanket ability
>> to redact some particular person's messages because you don't like them.
>> That's not going to wash.
>
>Feel free to post in the following public forum
>I'm sure the groups haven't been picked up by your own news server yet, but
>it's set to allow pulling. Oh - I will delete every single one of your posts
>because I want to. Sue me.

You've again missed the point.  I don't care.

======USENET VIRUS=======COPY THE URL BELOW TO YOUR SIG==============

Sign the petition and keep Deja's archive alive!

http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html

From: mike burrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,alt.conspiracy.area51,comp.os.netware.misc,comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 21:57:50 GMT

In comp.lang.c Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Wine runs Office? Wow, what a claim.

> A quick trip to the wine database shows that there isn't much that really
> runs under Wine. The highest rating for Office 97 is 3. This rating is
> described as "3 -- Sufficient functionality for noncritical work. Occasional
> crashes okay, as are weird setup problems, required patches, or missing
> major functionality. Alpha quality." Other reviews gave it even lower marks.
> The highest review given to Word 2000 is 1: "1 -- Loads without crashing.
> Good enough for a screenshot." And the highest review of Office 2000 rates
> it 0: "0 -- Totally nonfunctional. Crashes on load."

you have, of course, conveniently ignored that the most recent review of
Microsoft Word is from six months ago with a comment saying "maybe in 3
months it works".

of course everybody knows that Wine doesn't run Office well, but lying
(albeit by omission) doesn't help anybody.

--
 /"\                                                 m i k e   b u r r e l l
 \ /     ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Gardiner Family <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Winvocates and Linvocates: What do you use your desktop OS for?
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 10:59:12 +1300

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Aaron Ginn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Most of what I do on Windows 98 SE could be done with Linux (though I'd
> probably go bananas trying to get my head round some of it): EMail, surf
> the net, usenet etc.

true

> I am a Software Engineer, and I use Delphi to create GUI applications. I
> created a 3D scene editor for POVray, a public domain ray tracer. I
> created it for Windows because that appeared to be (and still is) the
> most popular desktop system around.
>
> Delphi is being ported to Linux, and when that finally appears, I might
> switch to Linux at home. The lack of games on Linux does inhibit this,
> also the lack of 3D audio is another consideration.

ever hear of loki games? Simcity for Linux, Quake, and other games ported to
Linux by Loki?

> At work I develop audio device drivers for Windows. So, no matter what I
> do, my interest in Windows isn't going away any time soon.

Matt

------------------------------

From: "Philo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does anybody offer free Linux access?~!
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 16:59:50 -0500

this is a very interesting question.
first of all...as we all know, there is no free lunch...
the free isp's are being paid for by the advertisers of course.
just to see what it was all about i set up juno (on windows, of course)
and got an add banner atop the browser.
when i shut the as banner down...the browser simply closed.

if an isp were to do the same with linux...
it is not too likely they'd want to supply the source code as one could
easily disable the ad banners then...
and to not supply the source code would be against the priciples behind
linux (as i understand them)

so i do not see much likelihood of a free linux isp...
but i sincerely hope someone proves me wrong here.

--

Philo

website: www.plazaearth.com/philo

------------------------------

From: Gardiner Family <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2000 11:04:54 +1300

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>  Professional level Digital Audio recording and restoration done under
> Win98se which despite all it's technical on paper design flaws (most
> of which are real), has been absolutley flawless for me. Each version
> has improved the stability and features, at least for what I use.

you can do this on an old atari, amiga, mac any plaform, why windows?

> I would use Win2k or better still Linux (I could save a fortune using
> Open Source) but the programs are not there for Linux, and the Win
> NT/2k programs are actually not as good as their Win98 versions.

What a load of rot, there is tonnes of applications such as StarOffice,
Netscape, the 1,000s of GNU applications being/have developed, and games
for Linux, Simcity 3000, Quake, Doom and other verious titles. I think that
the old wives tale that there is not enough apps or games for linux has run
its course!

Matt