From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:26:49 -0400

WesTralia wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Chad Everett wrote:
> > >
> > > L14: Clue for the clueless: I was expecting that from you so here ya go:
> > >
> > >                        .global myadd
> > >                        myadd:
> > >                 retl
> > >                 add     %o0,%o1,%o0
> > >
> > > Do you REALLY think that's more elegant and efficient than?:
> > >
> > > int myadd( int i, int j)
> > > {
> > >         return i+j;
> > > }
> > >
> > > If your answer is yes, see L14:
> >
> > using a full-blown function call for an integer addition
> > makes for a completely useless example.
> >

> Moron!  Do you know what an example is?  And what pray tell
> is a "full-blown" function?  How does that compare to a

One which has the full overhead of a function call, including
the overhead of pushing the CPU state onto the stack, and
recovering it at the end.

> half-blown function, moron!

Haven't programmed in assembly much, have you.

> OUTED!  LOL!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: WesTralia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:29:42 -0500

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Chad Everett wrote:

>bedfellows.

> > >Most of what I've done in the last 5 years has been shell scripting.
> > >

> > Well shell scripting is a noble activity.  Cheers.
>
> I tend to do this:
>
> Get a new job.  Write shell scripts to rectify all the common problems
> After a couple months, write a few more shell scripts to go out and
> diagnose the problems before they become "show-stoppers", which
> then call the problem-rectifying scripts.
>
> After about 6 months, I'm bored to tears, because the machines totally
> take care of themselves...so, I go find a new job (and MORE $$$$)

Then you need to change you sig.

Aaron R. Kulkis
Script Kiddie
DNRC Minister of the basement
IDORK # 3056642

From: Phillip Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
Date: 11 Apr 2001 16:37:29 +0100

  Aaron> Gamma wrote:
  >> your stuck >> Aaron> editing WITHOUT your config file....  >> >>
  >> Aaron> UGH.  >> >> This is why God invented NFS mounted home
  >> spaces.  >> >> Phil > >And if your behind a corporate firewall
  >> which doesn't permit >NFS connections through it....
  >>
  >> That's why God invented 3.5" floppies.
  >>
  >> And if you're behind a corporate firewall WITH security
  >> restrictions that prohibit bringing in software from the
  >> Internet...
  >>
  >> That's why God invented other jobs.  :-)

  Aaron> When you're a consultant, and you're on a customer sight for
  Aaron> just a short period of time...let's see...first you gotta
  Aaron> bring emacs with you, in case they don't have it, AND have
  Aaron> your .emacrc...

  Aaron> Oh, and make sure you remove it before you leave, because if
  Aaron> the people in charge of the site wanted emacs on the system,
  Aaron> it would already be there.

  Aaron> Bleah.

  Aaron> It's just simpler to use VI and be done with it.

        I used to carry around a copy of the marvellous
programmers file editor on floppy. It was great. In the same way
believe it or not I do now how to use VI. Of course I am not as
competent as a real VI user, but I'm okay. But I can't use VI to read
my email, or send news messages, so I use emacs most of the time. And
I can also use emacs without any of my customisations. I just prefer
to have them.

        If I moved around from machine to machine a lot (which
I don't) then I would stick emacs with all my configuration and extra
packages and anything else that I wanted onto a CD-ROM, and run it off
there.

        I have no problems with VI. Its a great editor. It just not do
all the things that I want. Emacs does. And if it does, I can make it
do so.

        Phil

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 11 Apr 2001 09:38:32 -0600

Roberto Selbach Teixeira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> Maybe you just don't know "Customize". Try using it to configure Emacs
> and you will see how "difficult" it is. Customize offers a interface
> for customization that don't require a single line of code or to edit
> a file. The user doesn't even have to know in which file the
> customization goes.
>
> As for Emacs defaults, I agree with you that they are not the best for
> everyone. But all you have to do is using the menu Options->Customize
> Emacs to change the whole thing.

Not to mention that XEmacs offers classic drop-down menus to change
most anything about the editor, and it will write out the elisp file
for you.

 [snip]

> Don't fool yourself, there is at least one thing you positively
> *have* to know about Vi:
>
> Pressing lots of ESC's followed by ":q!" will quit the damn thing.

And in a related note, if you ever get stuck in Emacs, just pres
control-G a half-dozen times.  :)

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:33:43 -0400

MH wrote:

> [...]
> > everyone had
> > to spend a bunch of new capital on upgrades, which started the virtuous
> > cycle all over again.
>
> Define 'everyone'. Many organizations have not upgraded beyond windows 95 or
> 98.
>
> > But now the cycle seems to be breaking, and the blame, for this author,
> > rests squarely on
> > Microsoft. They seem to have hit the wall, to have run out of ideas.
>
> Solely?
>
> > It has been three years since Windows 98 now, and Microsoft is working
> > on their fourth attempt
> > at a replacement OS (Windows SE, Windows ME, Windows 2000, and now Win
> > XP), but
> > most desktops are still running good old Win 98. Why? Because there are
> > no features in the new
> > OS's that are interesting enough to be worth the pain and expense of an
> > upgrade.
>
> I'll agree for the  most part with this.
>
> > When the internet began to take off there was an opportunity for
> > Microsoft to become
> > its champion. However instead MS appears to have seen the internet as a
> > threat to its desktop
> > based computing empire, and it attempted to smother the baby. First (as
> > this author
> > recalls) by promoting the MSN as a rival to the internet itself, and
> > when that didn't work,
> > by (according to Sun)poisoning standards like Java that could have been
> > used to
> > build robust e-commerce systems, leaving the world of internet commerce
> > in disarray,
> > and turning dot-coms into dot-bombs as cunsumers shied away from the
> > resulting mess.
> > In an attempt to close the barn door after the horse was out, MS has put
> > forward their
> > new dot-net initiative. It has been called mind-numbingly complex, and
> > due to customer
> > suspicion over Microsofts motives, it is seeing adoption rates about
> > equal to the Ford Edsel.
>
> Sun is nothing more than a MS wannabe. Java, as most know, is not all that
> Sun purports it to be.
>
> > In the view of the author, Microsoft overall seems to be transitioning
> > in behavior, from an
> > innovator that liberated users with cheap easy-to-use software, to a
> > mainframe-style company,
> > obsessed with controlling users and maximizing its revenue from each
> > trivial product upgrade.
> > As users balk at painful and expensive upgrades, MS is squeezing for
> > more license fees from
> > products already in use. One recent article seemed to indicate that MS
> > had asked one firm to pay
> > a license for every CLIENT system that accessed a web site built using
> > windows NT.
>
> MS still makes products that are easy to install and use, and they are
> actually getting better at providing this benefit.

If you call "repeating the same series of point-and-click operatons
over and over again, for 150 files" easy.  Most people, however, would
call that laborious, irritating, and error-prone.

One of the things computers are BEST at is boring, repititous tasks..
and yet...Mafiasoft software provides NO facilities for the average
user to automate boring, repititious tasks.

why is that?

> Obsessed with controlling users? I'll go along with that. They are, after
> all, a monopoly company. Most monopoly companies behave in the same
> predictable ways.
>
> > Students of history will see that this sort of behavior will inevitably
> > to the demise of Microsoft.
> > But for the US economy, this will be a good thing.
>
> Demise seems a bit strong to me.
>
> > The Barbarians have already gathered at the gates. The Linux OS, which
> > some claim is more
> > powerful and robust than Windows, giving the scalability of large UNIX
> > servers to cheap intel iron,
> > is already growing faster than Windows 2000, and is reported by the Wall
> > Street Journal to have claimed
> > over a 30% market share in servers. Although Linux use on the desktop
> > has been limited to under 10%
> > by the inertia of users accustomed to  MS Office, there has now been an
> > end-around-run. The Openoffice
> > organization ( http://www.openoffice.org ) has released an office suite
> > with nearly the same look-and-feel
> > as MS Office.  It will process MS office document formats, and runs
> > equally well under Windows and Linux,
> > and is being given away for FREE in perpetuity.
>
> Look and feel don't equate to the ability to usurp an extremely well
> entrenched product.
>
> > Not only that, but old-time arch-rivals of MS, like IBM, are beginning
> > to lose their fear of defying
> > Microsoft. It seems that it has suddenly dawned on them that Microsoft
> > isn't all that talented, or
> > tough, and given their relative sizes, it might just be time for IBM to
> > give pipsqueak Microsoft a
> > thrashing they have long deserved. The first blow is for IBM to spend
> > over $1billion on Linux
> > development this year.
>
> Jury is out, IMO, on what impact IBM will have on MS's market share through
> it's exploitation of Linux.
> Some corporate piss may trickle from the commode down to Linux's end-user
> base.
> Funny, you would have me mistrust MS, (easy to do) but would have me trust
> IBM?

IBM has new leadership.  The current CEO, upon assuming the title,
fired off a corporation-wide memo blasting management for specifically
ignoring customers' true needs, and that this was the primary reason
why IBM was posting losses in the midst of a booming economy.  AIX was
one such project.  Yes, it's unix...but it is so much UNLIKE other
kinds of unix, that it "doesn't play well with others".

Adopting Linux is a way of now meeting customers' needs for systems
which can run the same administrative scripts as their Solaris and
HP-UX systems, without IBM having to repeat the capital investment of AIX.

> > As Microsoft does a long slow fade into irrelevance, there will be a
> > liitle pain for the current
> > users of Windows, but it will be quickly replaced by enthusiasm. As the
> > constipating plug of Windows
> > is removed from corporate IS departments, a flush of new creativity will
> > ensue as technical personnel
> > suddenly feel free to explore more creative and innovative ways to build
> > servers, networks and protocols.
> > Which will result in another rush of capital spending, and we will begin
> > anew the virtuous cycle
> > of economic growth.
>
> Until open source has a web browser that will compel users to switch from
> the now dominant I.E., and software efficacious to educational uses is
> produced, it will remain just a pleasant refuge for the more tech savvy from
> MS's visions and frustrations, and the best server platform available. But
> then I enjoy shell scripting, AWK, SED, and the the 'feeling' that using
> open source products provide. Just don't expect me to cruise the web \
> Usenet with NN || Mozilla || Konqueror || <insert inferior browser here>

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: Has Linux anything to offer ?
Date: 11 Apr 2001 10:28:32 -0500

On 10 Apr 2001 22:06:30 -0700, roger$@a <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rex says...
>
>> If you are a student who
>>would like to learn the principles of UNIX, if you are the secretary
>>of a non-profit and want
>>to put up a web-site, or if you just want to chat and e-mail, Linux
>>has some
>>really great tools to do this.
>>

>The problem is that on Linux, there is no consistant and coherant way
>with how applications work. One can't cut/paste from one app to
>another like on windows. Application quality in general are less of
>those that exist on widnows.

I don't seem to have a problem cutting and pasting between apps
on linux.  Why do you?

>Let take some examples:
>
>1. Using IE 6.0 beta, If I am on a web page, and do 'save', IE is
>smart enough not only to save the HTML page itself, but also to
>create a subdirectory with all the gif files on that page. This means
>when one views the locally saved HTML page later on, it comes up with
>all the images intact on it. There is nothing like this on Linux.

And you call this a feature heh?

>2. On windows, I can drag an image from my Visio document to my word
>document and have it show up there. There is nothing like this on linux.

Can you tell me how to move that image to any location I want in my word
doc?  Can I drag an image from IE to Word in this manner?

>3. On Windows, when one starts a CD writes, the writes software
>automatically scans scsi and ide devices and locates the CD-W device.
>On linux, one must compile the kernel and do other hacks to get this
>to work.

Unless you have more than one CD-W and then it barfs.

>4. On linux, each distro has it own way interface and methods of how
>to configure and update the system. On widnows there is one way.

Let's see: Windows 95, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows 2K eash have
different "interface and methods of how to configure and update the
system"...now don't they.

>5. On linux, it is still very hard to get a system working using
>anti-aliased fonts, without more user hacks and configurations. On
>windows, it comes build in and the user has to do nothing more.

Really? What distro did you try this on.  I had no problem at all.

>6. Printing on Linux is broke. On widnows, setting up a printer requires
>no hacks as on linux. It just works.

Really?  YOu must be technically challenged.  My printers were configured
out of the box on my Linux distro.

>7. On Linux, there are many different desktop environments, each work
>differently. Applications written for one, might not work as expected
>on another. On windows, there is one way to do it, making developer life
>much simpler and users are familiar with how GUI applications are expected
>to behave.

Really?  Can why Windows 2K has a huge list of Windows 98 applications and
devices that it can't run?

>>PERL, Python, PHP, and other scripting languages, combined with KDE
>>and GNOME components have made it very easy to obtain programs that
>>can be packaged quite creatively.
>
>PERL, python, PHP all exist on windows.

Alright!  Can you tell me how I can run GNOME or KDE on Windows instead
of the Windows GUI?

>>> Are CD-R and CD-RW easier to configure and use with Linux?

Piece of cake.

>CD writer devices come with a FREE cdwrites software  packages
>with it in the box, (for windows of course).

They don't work on my Windows 2K system though.

>There is no commerical DVD player for linux. What is there is
>mostly hacks that does not support half of what a commercial
>DVD players on widnows support.

Really.  I really like the DVD player running on my Linux system.
I bought the player at Best Buy.

>So far, windows is winning in this area, if it were not, it would not
>have 90% market share. (of course, you will blame this on MS marketing,
>right?)

Let's get together again next year and see where things are at.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What Linux console?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:36:22 +0100

Another Linux venture bites the dust.

--
---
Pete Goodwin

------------------------------

From: Phillip Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 11 Apr 2001 16:44:11 +0100

>writes:

  Randall> I want to install an editor, go to a menu pop-down that is
  Randall> labelled something like "Key Mappings" and then get a
  Randall> dialog box that has radio buttons or a combo box that lets
  Randall> me select from a half dozen popular key mappings (vi,
  Randall> Brief, CUA, etc). If it requires downloading separate Lisp
  Randall> scripts and trying to understand the guts of hacked up Lisp
  Randall> macros to get it to work right then I'm really not
  Randall> interested.
  >>

  >> The thing with emacs is that there is little difference between
  >> "configuring" and "programming" it. Its possible therefore to
  >> configure it to an arbitrary degree of complexity.

  Roberto> This is not true. You do not have to know anything about
  Roberto> elisp (the language used on emacs) to configure it. All you
  Roberto> have to do is either using the minibuffer and type "Alt-x
  Roberto> customize ENTER" (or M-x customize RET, as we Emacsers say
  Roberto> it) or going to the menu
  Options-> Customize Emacs. No programming required. All you will
  Options-> have
  Roberto> to do is click buttons.

        Read my post again and perhaps you will understand it.
I am fully aware of custom. Indeed if you do a little work you will
find that I have written much lisp to add custom support where it
previous was not.

  >> If you want to "configure" emacs so that for instance as well as
  >> being an editor it can also parse Java source, provide method
  >> completion, auto Javadoc look up and so forth then its actually
  >> fairly hard and will take a lot of work. But you can do
  >> it. Fortunately for me some has done it, and this is available
  >> for others to use (http://jde.sunsite.dk).
  >>
  >> If you want to pretty GUI dialog boxes then emacs does not do
  >> this (although xemacs, and the newer version of emacs does). It
  >> does have a text based configuration system (xemacs, and the
  >> newer version of emacs use toolkit widgets if they are
  >> available).

  Roberto> That is right. So how can you say that customizing emacs is
  Roberto> not very different than programming it?

        Custom autocodes lisp.

        The point that I am making is an uncustomised or unconfigured
emacs, which is what temacs is essentially a lisp interpreter with
very little functionality. Almost all of what emacs does is coded in
lisp extensions. Now in my .emacs I have large amounts of lisp. Which
of this is customisations, and which is extensions? Its a meaningless
distinction.

  >> So you have the options there. The reason that many people use
  >> lisp to configure (myself included) is that they want to perform
  >> complex configuration. Emacs does now provide click and point
  >> options which is good. But something like the command line I'm
  >> glad that the lisp is still there for when I want it.

  Roberto> And all of a sudden I realize that you are on my side after
  Roberto> all :-)

        There is no real sides to it. Some people like VI some emacs.
I can see both arguments.

  Roberto> Configuring VI is much more difficult than configuring
  Roberto> Emacs, nowadays.

        I've never configured VI, so I can't comment.

        Phil