  Re: Off-topic Idiots (Was Bush v. Gore on taxes) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Newbie: How do you setup 2 PC's using Rhat Linux 6.2?
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 22:16:53 -0000

On Mon, 09 Oct 2000 21:49:00 GMT, The Ghost In The Machine
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote
>on Mon, 09 Oct 2000 17:56:11 GMT
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>RTFunnyM or the How-To's.
>>
>>There are thousands of them so you should be busy for a while.
>
>I would have expected something from you more along the lines of:
>
>[1] Buy two copies of Win2k.
>[2] Use the RH6.2 as a coaster for a coffee mug, as you wait
>    for the install, which should take 5 minutes at most anyway.
>[3] Install the two copies of Win2k.
>[4] Reboot.
>
>:-)
>
>(Disclaimer: I happen to like RH 6.0 and 6.2, so don't take
>this too seriously.  But I'm surprised you didn't take this
>opportunity to push what you obviously think is a
>far better operating system. [*] :-) )
>
>(Disclaimer #2: There are a number of HOWTOs, but he'd not have
>to read all of them; the ones that appear relevant are the
>Networking howto, the DNS howto, the Printing howto,
>the Apache installation instructions, and possibly the howto
>on how to rebuild the kernel whose name I forget offhand, since
>he's going to have to add the 'ne.o' module for the NIC; he
>won't get far otherwise. :-) )

        He's certainly better of recompiling in this instance.
        The ne2000 module is one of those odd ones that only
        does autodetection when it's not a module.

        Although, you really don't need a howto for the kernel.
        Just read the README carefully. Infact, if he installs
        everything in Redhat, he should just be able to use the
        gui configurator (cd /usr/linux/src;make xconfig), set
        the ne2000 checkbox to Y/es (rather than M/odule) and
        rcompile.

[deletia]

        Except for the problem of skanky network hardware, the rest
        should actually be relatively simple. There are shiny happy
        gui tools for every bit except dealing with the NE2000's.

        The tricky bit for him will be getting up to speed on IP
        networking concepts (the ethernet howto is good for this).

--

  Big M, Little M, many mumbling mice
  Are making midnight music in the moonlight,

  Fain would I climb, yet fear I to fall.
                -- Sir Walter Raleigh

  FORTUNE PROVIDES QUESTIONS FOR THE GREAT ANSWERS: #4
  A:    Go west, young man, go west!
  Q:    What do wabbits do when they get tiwed of wunning awound?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: You Linux folks Just Don't Get It....
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 22:18:06 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Mon, 09 Oct 2000 17:41:15 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>I agree, but it will be a long and slow evolution and MS isn't sitting
>still either.

Correct, IMO.

While I do like Linux, I believe that Microsoft's DNA and .NET strategies
will in fact overwhelm the marketplace.  Microsoft is uniquely positioned,
as a monopoly, to leverage its dominance, and it knows how to do it well.

One hopes it does so legally, but it is far from clear that other
vendors (Sun?  IBM?  Compaq?  GNU?) will be able to develop software
for the .NET platform in as timely a manner.  (To be fair, it's also
far from clear that they can't, once the specifications are in
fact nailed down.  Of course, who controls the specs?)

However, there's also a backlash (backslash? :-) ) against Microsoft.
I don't see newsgroups such as alt.destroy.linux, for example --
although someone might create it just to spite me :-) -- and
it's clear that Microsoft might fall under their own weight if
they're not careful, since their software is so complex; part
of that complexity is also unnecessary, and part of it is because of
binary-enforced backward compatibility.  Linux, for all of its faults,
at least tries to keep the kernel, GUI, and applications separable,
which in theory makes a system a little easier to debug.  Also,
source code is a little easier to change, for those with the
technical know-how -- although it would be tedious to locate
every occurrence of lseek() and change it to llseek(), for example,
to retrofit a program for 64-bit compatibility.  (Fortunately, most
programs encapsulate low-level stuff.)

In practice, however, it may make little difference; most apps will
be (re-)written in either Java (which carries its own GUI), or C# (which
will probably carry its own GUI on non-Microsoft platforms).  Webapps
will also come to the fore; the GUI of a Webapp is a browser, which
is basically an interpreter for HTML attached to a socket connector
(port 80 or 443, depending); even the web server connects to other
servers -- actually, Tomcat servlets (http://jakarta.apache.com
for this interesting concept!) -- in order to get the work done.
The application/system therefore can get distributed over a very wide area,
especially with secure communications (JCSE, JSSE, and others).

The browser is also extensible, as well -- Flash or Shockwave,
Java (for applets), various ActiveX components, and Netscape
plugins.  This may yield additional port connections.

This is going to be a long and messy war.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,alt.conspiracy.area51,comp.os.netware.misc,comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: 9 Oct 2000 21:51:07 GMT

In article <nk%D5.27549$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> <SNIP: diatribe about how poorly implemented VT100 is/was>

You fail to understand, grasshopper. My message was about how, even with an
incredibly simple application interface that quickly became the standard
even for DEC's competitors, programmers will write programs that depend on
undocumented behaviour.

You don't even need secret communication channels for that to happen. All
it takes is programmers in a hurry trying things out and having them work.
They probably don't even realise they're depending on undefined behaviour.

So, the point is that even with a system as simple as a video terminal
it's not easy to do a complete emulation.

I won't go into the issue of what is a "well architected" system and what
isn't, it's irrelevant, the complexity of the Win32 API is obvious. It's
far far more complex than the vt100 with decimal orders of magnitude more
opportunity for weird undefined behaviour that has to be emulated, no matter
how good Microsoft might be at avoiding it.

To me, it's amazing that Wine manages to run ANY significant Windows program
at all.

--
 `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
  'U`    "Milloin halasit viimeksi suttasi?"

         Disclaimer: WWFD?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 9 Oct 2000 21:59:26 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
John Lockwood  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 3) Notepad is a trivial windows application.  (Defined as an
> application a good Windows programmer could complete in a week or
> two).

Are you saying that you would expect a good Windows programmer to take a
week or two to implement Notepad? Is that a reasonable estimate of the
time it would take for a program like that?

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Winvocates and Linvocates: What do you use your desktop OS for?
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:47:32 +1000

> Drestin Black wrote:
> >
> > "Aaron Ginn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > Now it's your turn.  What do you use your desktop for, and why does
> > > you OS do the job better than the alternatives?
> > >

> > Actually, I use my Windows 2000 desktop for... everything. unlike other
> > OSes, there has never EVER been not even one single time that I've ever
> > thought: "Gee, I wish I had an app like 'xyz' on 'os uvw'".
>
> That's because you never get involved with high-end computing.
>
> When companies start putting 200Gig databases on Lose2k, you get back to
us.

> Until then, stop pretending that M$ has even bothered to develop a real
OS.

<snip>

Hmmm. I must be imagining the 800K user (active users) mailsystem with >1TB
of mailstores running on NT 4.0 just around the corner.

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What're Linus's computer/laptop specs?
Date: 9 Oct 2000 22:43:49 GMT

Gardiner Family <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: apparently (from the compaq digital site) he has been given an Alpha
: Workstation by compaq, along with many other prominant linux developers.

Linus has been given many other prominent linux developers?  Where
does he keep them?  Stacked up in the closet?

------------------------------

From: Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Off-topic Idiots (Was Bush v. Gore on taxes)
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 22:49:05 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> Practice what you preach, Marty.
>
> > I wasn't the one preaching about off-topic posting while writing such
> > postings.
>
> You were the one preaching about "stop being a hypocrite and grow up",
> Marty.

Very good, Dave.

------------------------------

From: Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 22:51:03 GMT

"David T. Johnson" wrote:

> Marty wrote:
> >
> > "David T. Johnson" wrote:
> > >
> > > Marty wrote:
> > > >
> > > [repetitive comments snipped]
> >
> > Sorry David, you lose.
>
> Well, I have certainly lost in the name-calling category.

Not even close.  I lost too many points in that category for supporting my
claims with examples and facts.

> Congratulations.

To you.

> > Stop being a hypocrite and grow up.
> >
> > "[repetitive comments snipped]"

Note: no response, and the hypocrisy continues.

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?)
Date: 9 Oct 2000 22:53:42 GMT

Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Steve Mading wrote:

:> Also, there's the problem of precedence.  To make
:> homemade operators work, there would either have to
:> be a way to let the programmer define the operator's
:> precedence, or the language would have to ignore all
:> precedence and do everything left-to-right.  The second
:> solution (which is what I gather Smalltalk does from
:> what Richard said) is distasteful to me because it
:> diverges from the way we've been educated to view math
:> expressions (It seems "icky" to have a language that
:> does 2+3*x in the wrong algebraic order.

: As you said, this is only because that's the way you've been
: educated. And trust me, it takes very little time to get used
: to it.

:> It means I'm
:> going to have to insert a heck of a lot of parentheses
:> in any nontrivial expression.)

: In practice, you don't do that. Rather, you reorder
: your expressions so that the left to right and canonical
: evaluation orders coincide.

That's often impossible.  Consider, for example, several
terms added together, as in a polynomial: 4x^2 - 2x + 1
There's no way to write that in one expression without
some sort of precedence that isn't left-to-right.  There's
a reason mathematics uses order of operations - any
alternative would be painfully verbose for nontrivial
expressions.

: And Smalltalk has id1 id2 id3 as valid expressions
: (so long as id2 ends with a colon). So
: 'aParser parse: aString' is valid Smalltalk. In fact,
: all methods in Smalltalk are infix so even though
: #inject:with: is a single method, you write it
: aCollection inject: aBlockOCode with: anInteger

: Smalltalk isn't completely left to right; it has three
: precedence levels (unary, binary, keyword) so that
: you don't have to put brackets around arguments to
: methods.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 23:08:19 GMT

Marty writes:

>>> I wasn't the one preaching about off-topic posting while writing such
>>> postings.

>> You were the one preaching about "stop being a hypocrite and grow up",
>> Marty.

> Very good, Dave.

So why did you bring up "off-topic posting", Marty?