From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Allen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Uptime -- where is NT?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:59:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
T. Max Devlin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Said . in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 29 Nov 2000 16:39:45 +1300;
>>
>>We already know MS don't like to fix bugs unless a major player is
>>screaming about it... why do they even have a testing procedure?  Just to
>>make sure their product stands up long enough to look pretty and get
>>purchased?
>
>Well, that's what you get from a monopoly; it is the "most efficient" at
>extracting money from victims.  Too bad its not a free market, which is
>less efficient at fraud and more efficient at production and innovation.

I have not seen this mentioned in a while and it is *so* educational:

    FOCUS:
          But there are bugs an any version which people would really like to have
fixed.

    Gates:
          No! There are no significant bugs in our released software that any
significant number of users want fixed.

http://www.tricknology.org/fun/pages/FOCUS%20Magazine%20Interview%20with%20Bill%20Gates%20Microsoft%20Code%20Has%20No%20Bugs.htm

So there you have it straight from "The Holy One" himself, if you
want a bug fixed in any released software you are a member of this
insignificant minority.

(For the Wintrolls: That means that customers who complain should be ignored or
chewed out immediately and yelled at, as Bill did in this fine example.)

I swear, the Mans' marketing GENIUS chokes me up !
--
"Whether you think their witnesses are credible or non-credible;
 they've admitted monopoly power, they've admitted raising prices to hurt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Allen)
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:59:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>OF course if you knew your head from your
>ass concerning PC software you wouldn't
>be posting this idiotic crap on a newgroup
>with dozens of actual computer programmers
>and systems administrators around to
>blow your fucking ass out of the water
>with this kind of jerk wad comment.

    Thank you, for your civilty and restraint.

    I laughed till tears came.

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:48:29 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  No-Spam wrote:

> No Pete , this COLA, perhaps your thinking this is a linux TECH HELP
ng ?

The advocacy in this group appears to consist of the following:

1. Someone posts a topic criticising Linux. They may or may not use
   "inflamatory" language.

2. Immediate response is to deride the poster. It doesn't matter if they
   are legitimate problems or not.

> >Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2
> I thought you were still waiting for Linux to get there ?

I still am. It's nearly there.

--
---
Pete

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mitch)
Subject: Re: Anyone have to use (*GAG*) Windows on the job?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:00:57 GMT

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:24:52 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark) wrote:

>The poor souls who have to run MSOffice in anger suffer a couple
>of reboots a day typically.  Its a standard office joke.

It's nothing more than a dumb stereotype - like the Irish being
stupid, or Lada cars being unreliable,etc...

I know plenty of Irish people, but no extraordinary amount of them are
stupid.

People hear about windows being really, really unstable, and so make
jokes about it just to 'fit in'.  Sure, windows crashes,
*occasionaly*, but twice a day?  No.  It doesn`t.

Your office should hire some people who know something about setting
up PC's or something, because round here it`s OS2 that`s the bane of
our lives.

--
Smileys are nothing but conceptual wheelchair ramps for the humor impaired.
 - Geoff Miller

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:02:56 GMT

In article <904c40$g1u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Please describe how to get Windows to run on any of the following
> machines:
> 1 - A Sun Sparc workstation.
> 2 - A Macintosh PPC-based machine.
> 3 - An IBM AS/400.

Of the three machines you mention, how many might I, a home user, buy?

A Sparc workstation? Unlikely.
An IBM AS/400. You're joking!

A Macintosh. Maybe.

I was referring to Intel machines. I thought that was obvious.

--
---
Pete

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:01:02 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  bobh{at}haucks{dot}org wrote:

> >OpenVMS - a decade.
> >UNIX - two or three years.
>
> Not relevant.  Having 20 years of experience with IBM mainframes, for
> example, doesn't tell you diddly about PC-centric issues like IRQ and
> DMA problems.

You omitted RISC-OS.

I originally started as an Electronics Engineer, then switched to
Software. I have some idea of how machines are designed. I do understand
(from OpenVMS) how IRQ and DMA are implemented and how they work.

Windows NT is based on work by someone who originally worked on OpenVMS.
There are things inside NT I recognise.

> And here is a big difference.  When you have a problem with Windows
you
> know what to do.  If you have a problem with Linux, you are likely to
> try what might work on Windows.  Which often won't work on Linux.
That
> was my point.  If the experience levels were reversed, you might find
> that you'd have more trouble making Windows work than Linux.

Actually, anyone with problem solving experience shouldn't have too much
difficulty.

I remember what happened with SB16 and AHA152x on my other system.
Everyone here swore blind I was a WinTroll and that noobody else in this
group had the same problems (like that means it doesn't exist, yeah
right).

Some reading and tinkering later I got both the SB16 and the AHA152x
working, despite the lack of help in the README's and HOWTO's and
whatever else there was.

With my Voodoo 5500 and XFree86 4.0.1 I had to guess how to make it
work. The documentation was just plain wrong.

With KDE2.0 the documentation is way out - again I figured it out
myself, no documentation explain any of this.

> To be pedantic, that's not necessarily true.  Linux will run on many
> systems that Windows won't.  If we're talking about the Win9x family
on
> x86 you may be right.  OTOH, while W2K and NT4 may have more driver
> support than Linux, it isn't by a huge margin.

Windows 98/ME certainly has more driver support.

--
---
Pete

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is...
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:11:12 -0500

the_blur wrote:

> > Exactly.  He was saying the the whole system is crap based
> > on the splash screen.
>
> I most certainly was not! I loved Mandrake! That's why I hated the fact that
> the design was crappy! Everything else is good! I never said the system

Then replace the damned file and be done with it.

Geeze.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:11:49 GMT

Its the real McCoy, v2 is definately out, the time between the
pre-release and final was pretty short, I think because the distros
wanted the most up-todate pre-release, that is why the "official"
pre-release was announced, like most companies, they (distro companies)
did not want to wait until the full and complete version was ready
because of the delay.

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is inevitable!
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:13:32 -0500

Mike Raeder wrote:

> sfcybear wrote:
> > Linux is moving faster than expected! But hey, we knew it would!
> >
> > http://www.ottawacitizen.com/hightech/001129/4958837.html
>
> Funny, rarely does anyone wax poetic about this wonderful
> licensing part of Linux.  Soon all of our servers will be
> Linux (and FreeBSD).  Then I will have the pleasure of
> telling the beancounters to bugger off when I am asked for a
> licence audit.  Thus making more time to spank my cow-orkers
> at Quake. :)

And Orking a cow is an activity that one should NEVER pass up.

> --
> Since-beer-leekz,
> Mikey
> Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax
> materiam possit materiari?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux jobs and skills. Why the sudden surge and increase?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:15:49 -0500

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On 29 Nov 2000 13:23:51 -0800, chris@looking_for_advice wrote:
> >

> >I think I am making the correct thing, please tell me if I am
> >wrong, and why you think so. Any people actually working on
> >linux for living? can you tell what do you think the future for
> >linux jobs will be?
>
> I've recently been offered a programming position in an academic
> environment, writing free Linux software, and that's probably what
> I'll do next year.
>
> Linux skills are pretty valuable because they have broader application
> than just Linux -- linux is built on standards, so your skills should
> be applicable to UNIX in general.

That...and the code you write today will still work 30 years from now.

Not true with LoseDOS.

> I'd suggest that you set yourself up a nice home network and get a solid
> understanding of "sys admin 101", and back it up with some solid
> programming skills. See the books "Beginning Linux Programming" and
> "Professional Linux programming"
>
> I think the future for people with solid Linux skills will be pretty good.
> Linux seems to be the place where a lot of interesting development (eg
> KDE, GNOME) is taking place. As a general rule, I think people who develop
> broad skills on standards based technologies ( C, C++, UNIX ) have a
> better future than those who rely on proprietary technologies ( VB )
>
> --
> Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
> elflord at panix dot com

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Whistler review.
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:17:00 -0500

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Bennetts family" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:VxYU5.35$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "Ilja Booij" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Why not?
> > > One of the nice things of Linux (or other UNIX-es) is that you can
> > > run without GUI. Many people like this and use it. Now, if MS
> > > implements this in it's systems, is that bad? i wouldn't think so.
> >
> > I like it too, and it would be good if MS did (re)implement it. But they
> are
> > never going to do it. Just watch them. It isn't in their interests, they
> > killed the command line (or at least swept it under a particularly big
> rug)
> > and bringing it back would be an admission of defeat. Never.
>
> Admission of defeat? Why?
> Beside, why does a server need GUI?

Ask microsoft.  they seem to think it's an essential.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:18:15 -0500

kiwiunixman wrote:

> I have heard of Open VMS (a UNIX like operating system) used on the
> alpha processor, but not VMS. Please elaberate :)  the quote:

Open VMS is a Posix-compliant version of VMS

Vax Monitor System?

> "From the delay (of 9 hours) I see no reply? could it be that the fabulours conrade
>can't code for peanut's? and can't bare the thought of raring his ugly head in this
>newsgroup?"
> was directed towards Conrad who can heap the shit out, but can't handle
> it when it returns in his direction (kinda like a boomerang).
>
> kiwiunixman
>
> mark wrote:
>
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, kiwiunixman wrote:
> >
> >> From the delay (of 9 hours) I see no reply? could it be that the
> >> fabulours conrade can't code for peanut's? and can't bare the thought of
> >> raring his ugly head in this newsgroup?
> >

> > Okay - quick, let's get the OS history book out..., now,
> > okay I'm ready:
> >
> > pl/9, flex (with gimix debugger), (what does VMS stand for
> > again?)
> >
> > Mark
> >
> >> kiwiunixman

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows SUX
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:07:23 GMT

In article <c1h109.7sm.ln@gd2zzx>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Now the one true risc processor was the PDP-8. 12 bit
> luxury and core memory. :-)

You never came across a DECmate then? Based on the PDP-8 but didn't have
core memory.

I remember the PDP8. I had fun with the instruction set. RISC! Hah! It
was a minimal instruction set, not quite the same thing. It had this
amazing concept of "pages". All your data had to be reachable in one
"page". So at one end of a page you had code, at the other, data. And
you wrote jumps to get to the next page... sheesh! A page was 4k of
12bit words.

--
---
Pete

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:21:33 -0500

Matthew Soltysiak wrote:

> > Tell us, Conrad....how many operating systems have you ever written
> > programs for?
> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > ICQ # 3056642
> >

> And how many have you done, "Unix systems Engineer"?  0?  Oh, make that, "Unix
> System Admin"

Apple ][ , ][+ , and //e
VM/CMS (on IBM 370)
Commodre 64
RSTS
CDC 6600 / 6700
v7 Unix
BSD Unix amd derivatives
SysV Unix and derivatives

plus 2 that have no name

That makes 10.

> Oh man, this thread is gonna go for a while.  I love this, ppl are responding
> because of a one-liner.   You ppl need
> some caffine or some stress relief.

You need to get yourself a fucking education.

> --
> Matthew Soltysiak
> Comp Sci/Soft Eng
> ICQ: 3063118

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:22:15 -0500

Matthew Soltysiak wrote:

> > Whatever school you're studying at....I'd transfer out of, if I were you.
> >

> Oh it's the smart pretender again.. If i were you, I'd take more time and stop being
> pretender.  Ok?

Do pretenders make $75/hour (including travel time) + travel expenses?

> --
> Matthew Soltysiak
> Comp Sci/Soft Eng
> ICQ: 3063118