Linux-Advocacy Digest #570, Volume #29           Tue, 10 Oct 00 09:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Off-topic Idiots (Was Bush v. Gore on taxes) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Off-topic Idiots (Was Bush v. Gore on taxes) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Off-topic Idiots (Was Bush v. Gore on taxes) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Why is MS copying Sun??? (westprog 2000)
  Re: Why is MS copying Sun??? (Joe Halpin)
  Re: Why is MS copying Sun??? (Jonathan Thornburg)
  Re: Why is MS copying Sun??? (John Lockwood)
  Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum (Nick Condon)
  Re: The Power of the Future! (Dan Howard)
  Re: Why is MS copying Sun??? ("Frédéric G. MARAND")
  Re: Free ISP for Linux? (Tony Atoms)
  Re: The Power of the Future! (Dan Howard)
  Re: Hotmail been down most of the day ("MH")
  Re: Winvocates and Linvocates: What do you use your desktop OS for? ("MH")
  Re: Linux Sucks (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: The Power of the Future! (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: Winvocates and Linvocates: What do you use your desktop OS for? ("MH")
  Re: Why is MS copying Sun??? (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Winvocates and Linvocates: What do you use your desktop OS for? (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Winvocates and Linvocates: What do you use your desktop OS for? (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Winvocates and Linvocates: What do you use your desktop OS for? (Bob Hauck)
  Re: Newbie: How do you setup 2 PC's using Rhat Linux 6.2? (Chris Sherlock)
  Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum ("Chad Myers")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Off-topic Idiots (Was Bush v. Gore on taxes)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:37:20 +0000

On Mon, 09 Oct 2000 20:27:25 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] in
comp.sys.mac.advocacy wrote:

>>> Practice what you preach, Marty.
>
>> I wasn't the one preaching about off-topic posting while writing such
>> postings.
>
>You were the one preaching about "stop being a hypocrite and grow up",
>Marty.

Stop being a hypocrite, Dave.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:37:20 +0000

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 02:56:27 GMT, "Joe Malloy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
in comp.sys.mac.advocacy wrote:

>Tholen tholes:
>
>> > I wasn't the one preaching about off-topic posting while writing such
>> > postings.
>>
>> You were the one preaching about "stop being a hypocrite and grow up",
>> Marty.
>
>And, obviously enough, you weren't, making you an infantile hypocrite,
>Tholen.

Actually, you are wrong.
Dave was an infantile hypocrite before making that post.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:37:21 +0000

On Mon, 09 Oct 2000 16:43:18 -0400, "David T. Johnson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in comp.sys.mac.advocacy wrote:

>Marty wrote:

>> > Well, I have certainly lost in the name-calling category.
>>
>> Not even close.  I lost too many points in that category for supporting my
>> claims with examples and facts.
>
>Typical nonsensical, illogical gibberish.  'Not even close' has no
>meaning in the context used.  No indication of what 'losing points'
>refers to and why 'losing points' is relevant to the discussion.  No
>indication of why your alleged supporting of claims with examples and
>facts is relevant to the name-calling you have repeatedly indulged in.
>

>> > Congratulations.
>>
>> To you.
>
>Illogical as the congratulations were for you for winning the
>name-calling competition.  You have called me a "hypocrite," "liar,"
>"mime," "troll," "club president," and "Net Cop" while also also
>accusing me of "mudslinging" and claiming that I had a "hard-on" for
>Wenham.  In contrast, I have only called you a 'liar' and a
>'hypocrite.'  Clearly, you win and are deserving of the
>congratulations.

>> Note: no response, and the hypocrisy continues.
>
>Interesting that you expect to see a response to your imperative.
>Apparently, even you realize the absurdity of the comment that your
>statement makes.  No surprise there.

David, fetch me a beer, please.

------------------------------

From: westprog 2000 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,alt.conspiracy.area51
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:39:33 GMT

In article <LjyE5.125555$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Mike Byrns <"mike.byrns"@technologist,.com> wrote:
> "T. Max Devlin" wrote:
>
> > Said Mike Byrns <"mike.byrns"@technologist,.com> in
> >    [...]
> > >I'd have to conclude that it's the WINE programmer's fault in not
> > >understanding the
> > >CreateWindow() interface and how to properly create a default
> > >window class of "EDIT".

> > Whatever.  That's simply more detailed evidence of how crappy Win32
> > is,
> > if the WINE programmers can't even get these rudimentary things to
> > work correctly.

> How did you "conclude" this?

I would be interested to see the mental process involved.

> If the WINE programmers can't get these (very
> NON-rudimentary) things to work correctly then I think they have not
> done their homework.
> Feel free to have them mail me.  I can explain the splendid logic of
> the WndClass.

It is precisely because it is so easy for a Windows programmer to write
a Notepad equivalent that it is hard to provide the same functionality
with an emulator. If all that Win-32 provided was the ability to draw
dots and lines on the screen, emulating it with X would be trivial. It
is because Win32 provides so much functionality that it is hard to
emulate.

>The Windows APIs were designed to be
> approachable and that quality has proven it's boon.  If Microsoft
would have wanted no
> other ISV to program to that set of APIs don't you think they could
have done a better job
> of obfuscation than the MSDN library freely available on the
Internet?  Apart from your
> opinion that Microsoft forces developers to program to their APIs can
you show me any
> examples outside of "Undocumented Widows".  What would you use
PrestoChangoSelector()
> (win16) or BozoLivesHere() (also win16)  for in programming a market
leading application,
> Max?

I'd be interested to see what the undocumented Win32 api calls actually
are.

> > make it all but impossible to support the Win32 API,

> You seem to ignore the fact that most software companies do support
> this "impossible" API
> :-)

I do find Win32 unnecessarily complex and messy. I find the use of
parameters such as WPARAM and LPARAM lazy and unhelpful. I can't see
why the file operations should be lumped in together with the GDI
operations. However, I don't find Posix any improvement, except in so
far as it provides less functionality and therefore less scope for
confusion.

J/ (Looking Backward)

SOTW: "Tangled Up In Blue" - Bob Dylan

From: Joe Halpin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,comp.os.netware.misc,comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: 10 Oct 2000 06:45:24 -0500

Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> John Lockwood wrote:

> Wine does have a long way to go, but I remember, not that long ago,
> when the only thing that I could get to work was Solitaire.  Now
> some very useful apps such as Notes work quite well.

A friend of mine just got a product I hadn't heard of before, but it
appears to work very well. It's called win4lin.

He was running Office97 under Window 98 in a Linux window. I watched
him bring up Powerpoint, and Word, and he says he runs Quicken at home
with it.

http://www.trelos.com/

Joe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonathan Thornburg)
Date: 10 Oct 2000 14:04:38 +0200

In article <8ruv5l$rje$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
westprog 2000  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>It is precisely because it is so easy for a Windows programmer to write
>a Notepad equivalent that it is hard to provide the same functionality
>with an emulator. If all that Win-32 provided was the ability to draw
>dots and lines on the screen, emulating it with X would be trivial. It
>is because Win32 provides so much functionality that it is hard to
>emulate.
[[...]]
>However, I don't find Posix any improvement, except in so
>far as it provides less functionality and therefore less scope for
>confusion.

The appropriate comparison probably ought to be with the combination
of X and a comparable GUI toolkit.  For example, the Motif text widget
provide comparable functionality to the Win32 critter we've been
discussing.  (I am _not_ holding up Motif as an example of clean API
design -- that's a different flamefest^Wdiscussion.)

Of course, the key difference is that X more clearly separates the GUI
toolkit from the low-level graphics, so it's very easy to substitute an
alternative widget if the Motif text widget is unsuitable.  This separation
is both a great strength of X (it allows for experimentation, lets new
ideas be tried, and avoids the 1-size-fits-all problem) and a serious
weakness (market and mindshare fragmentation).

--
-- Jonathan Thornburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
   http://www.thp.univie.ac.at/~jthorn/home.html

------------------------------

From: John Lockwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,comp.os.netware.misc,comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 05:09:07 -0700

On 10 Oct 2000 06:45:24 -0500, Joe Halpin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> John Lockwood wrote:
>
>> Wine does have a long way to go, but I remember, not that long ago,
>> when the only thing that I could get to work was Solitaire.  Now
>> some very useful apps such as Notes work quite well.
>
>A friend of mine just got a product I hadn't heard of before, but it
>appears to work very well. It's called win4lin.
>
>He was running Office97 under Window 98 in a Linux window. I watched
>him bring up Powerpoint, and Word, and he says he runs Quicken at home
>with it.
>
>http://www.trelos.com/
>
>Joe

Please try to be careful. It's no big deal in this case, but actually
I didn't write what you quoted above.

------------------------------

From: Nick Condon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 13:16:19 +0100

Chad Myers wrote:

> You're comparing a relatively new (although based on archaic technology)

This one always irritates me, the Windows people say it about Linux, and the Linux
people say it about Windows.

But unless you're talking about the wheel or fire, all technology is based on older
technology.

Now stop it.
---
Nick

------------------------------

From: Dan Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Power of the Future!
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:15:34 -0400

Hi Drestin,

If she's refereing to the fact that a hacker can easilly use any share
on windows if you have netbui installed, check this link:

www.grc.com

------------------------------

From: "Frédéric G. MARAND" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,alt.conspiracy.area51,comp.os.netware.misc,comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:19:25 +0200

Quite simple. Install PTC ProductView. Use a VGA driver, an MS mouse. Then
start the Engineering Data Server service. BSOD. And it's not a driver, just
a very "applicative" application.

zmzE5.160764$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Tony Atoms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: chi.internet
Subject: Re: Free ISP for Linux?
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 07:26:33 -0500

In article <4_oE5.9500$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Cymen
Vig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > I used freewwweb.com for a while. The connection method was not
> > > platform
> > > specific. Of course, it may have been a bug. ;D
> >
> > That is to say, they may have "fixed" that by now.
>
> They went bankrupt.
>
> http://www.freewwweb.com/

Well that's one way to fix it! I suspected all along that it was too
good to be true. It was too good to last anyway.

------------------------------

From: Dan Howard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:26:35 -0400

MS used Apache on a winnt machine. Apache is still beta on that platform
Chad.

------------------------------

From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hotmail been down most of the day
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:34:34 -0400

could be that the moon exploded and ...

You want an example of an unreliable service? Do you use www.linuxmail.org ?
That damn site is off line constantly.

What I find most telling about the entire hotmail bally-hoo is how when
hotmail is running great it's "haha, MS has to use *nix to run hotmail". But
when it's hotmail is having trouble it's "haha MS switched to w2k and now
hotmail is having trouble." But then in between this stinkin BS, we have the
ubiquitous "nah, MS claims to have switched over to w2k, but they're really
running hotmail on > 85% of the hardware" Which is it zealots? Can you make
up your minds as to what the facts really are? Does G. Bush write your
speeches or what??

This is really, really, pathetic, you do realize that, don't you?

---get a clue-get a life--It's just a damn computer.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Winvocates and Linvocates: What do you use your desktop OS for?
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:36:24 -0400

Cool!! Could I get some of what you're taking? I figure if it can produce
this lofty fantasy, it could do wonders for life related stresses!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: Linux Sucks
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:12:48 +0200

It was the Tue, 10 Oct 2000 02:15:47 GMT...
...and [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> And if it doesn't get it's ass in gear it will remain a niche' system.

And nobody gives a damn about whether it will or won't except for a
certain sad git without a real name.

mawa
--
bumper sticker seen on stealth bomber:  "IF YOU CAN READ THIS, THEN WE
WASTED 50 BILLION BUCKS."                            -- Donald Daybell

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 14:13:56 +0200

It was the Tue, 10 Oct 2000 02:44:16 GMT...
...and Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Nope.  The future is BeOS!
> >
> > Tell me one thing that BeOS can do that Linux is conceptually
> > incapable of.
>
> Provide a stable, reliable GUI?

I don't know which reality you live in, but in mine, Linux has a
stable, reliable GUI which I use every day.

Mind you, it's stable and reliable even though I run the CVS version
of most of the components. For people who simply run Helix GNOME or
such, I imagine the stability is yet better.

mawa

From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 08:39:21 -0400

I'm glad. Now if we could figure out how linux can satisfy your spell
checking needs....
I think mozilla has that feature...

And I do like how one minute you're a windows basher and the next you're
coming across as bipartisan on the entire advocacy issue. Nice touch.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:04:31 GMT

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 07:51:05 GMT, Mike Byrns <@technologist,.com> wrote:

>> Much of Win32 is not nearly as well understood as the text control.

>So if it's so well understood then why did the WINE folks fail?

Maybe they're stupid.  That seems to be the explanation you folks
always trot out for why competitors can't compete against MS.

Or, just maybe there's more there than meets the eye and MSDN?

>Most Windows software engineers just take Win32 from the docs and do
>quite well.

Which is NOT even close to the same thing as cloning Win32.  But most
Windows software engineers seem to either rely on the Wizards and MFC,
or else they spend time testing when they have to use a new API they
haven't used before.  They don't really "just take it from the docs".

To clone an API, you have to not only clone the documented behavior,
but also some subset of the bugs and failure conditions.  What happens
if you pass a struct blarg when you were supposed to use a bloop?  You
can bet that some program somewhere relies on whatever the behavior is.
Win32 apps are full of that kind of thing, where assumptions are made
without even thinking about it since "we don't care about no steenking
portability".  It is an almost inevitable consequence of a single
vendor mentality.

I wonder how much that attitude had to do with the difficulty MS had in
getting support for non-Intel NT?  The same garbage will bite you there
too, since even MS can't make Win32/Alpha behave exactly the same as
Win32/Intel.

>Hard to clone -- make due to lack of understanding from not reading
>the docs.

Yes, the WINE developers, and everyone else who has tried to clone
Windows, are just stupid and can't read.  The alternative explanations
are obvious, but just simply _can't_ be true, I guess.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:04:34 GMT

On 8 Oct 2000 20:20:12 -0500, Drestin Black
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Can you get every application for Windows on Linux? No you can't.

I can't think of any I really want though, so I don't care.

>(This might matter to you if you were into using your computer)

I seem to be using my computer right now.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:04:35 GMT

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 02:59:27 GMT, Chad Myers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> Yes, running X over ssh will encrypt sessions nicely.

>I bet that's *REAL* speedy too... laf.

It is fine actually, not noticeably different from a regular network
connection given reasonable cpu power (encryption is never free
cpu-wise).  And easier for newbies to use too.

>If it's anything like SSL performance on the web server side, it'd be
>almost unusable.

Web browsers set up and tear down connections for each page fetch
(modulo keepalives), which means they have to re-do the key exchange
too.  X doesn't do this, it sets up a connection and leaves it for the
whole session.  That's the big difference right there.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:04:32 GMT

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:31:52 GMT, Mike Byrns <@technologist,.com> wrote:

>Really?  How much RAM do you have?  I've run it comfortably on 64MB.
>MacOS and Mandrake Linux with Gnome both claim to use more RAM than
>Windows 2000 in my tests.

KDE uses less RAM than Gnome.  Blackbox uses less than KDE's taskbar
by itself <g>.  I do have a point though, and that is that you can
easily customize your setup to run in less RAM if need be.  Note also
that Linux does not like the leave lots of RAM "free".  This is
different behavior than NT, haven't compared to W2K.  But buffers and
cache count as available RAM to Linux since they are easily discarded.

>Just the little innovation that pages in the disk cache and VM are
>mapped to each other helps quite a bit.

That is only new in MS operating systems.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 23:45:37 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Re: Newbie: How do you setup 2 PC's using Rhat Linux 6.2?

You're saying that comp.os.linux.advocacy is *nice*?

Nice - if you're a troll.

Chris

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 12:47:08 GMT

"Chris Sherlock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> This is good coming from a pro-Windows site! *HOW* long did it take MS
> to finally release Windows 2000 (formerly NT 5?) How long did it take
> them to release Windows 95? None of these products were on time.

That's the whole point of his post...

> I say - let the Linux kernel developers get it right, and if you really
> need it so much then install the pre-release kernels for 2.4

Again, the same point... it's *OK* when Linux is way late because they're
"getting it right", but it's laughable when Microsoft is late when they're
"getting it right". Why the double standard?

> Mozilla, well that's a different story...

<laf>

It's funny, even without worries about money, time constraints,
being profitable, etc, Netscape still can't release a decent product.

Is it still Microsoft's fault, as you guys like to say?

-Chad