From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 17:06:21 -0400

Loren Petrich wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, STATIC66
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 09 Oct 2000 05:04:05 GMT, Loren Petrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:

> > >   Cry me a river. I presume that you reimbursed the government for the
> > >cost of military training also.
> > Yes I did, with hard work, sacrifice and months and months away from
> > my family, whilst you enjoyed the freedoms I was protecting.
>
>    Enjoy feeling sorry for yourself. Did you pay in MONEY???

Loren, you owe every serviceman a LOT more than what you have paid
them.  If it was not for us, you would be the impoverished subject
of some totalitarian regime.

Pay UP, asshole.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unix rules in Redmond
Date: 10 Oct 2000 16:12:06 -0500

"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8rua0f$1du$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> > "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8rt870$t84$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> > <snip> >> And how much ingress do you think a news server that carries a
> > full feed

> > and
> >>
> >> Wrong.  Its around 60.  That would be drivespace.
> >>
> > <snip>
> >> Actually no.  60 gigs is alot of DRIVE space.  As any news admin will
tell
> > you,
> >> the biggest problem in day to day news server operation is the fine
> > tweaking
> >> of expire; you need to use the most space possible without ever running
> > out.
>
> > how is it you figure 60 gigs is a lot of "DRIVE" space (why your
emphasis I
> > don't know). Given that 40 gig HD's are under $200, and four of them
would
> > give you a nice 80 gigs of stripped/mirrored storage - what is your hang
up
> > with that? Now, move this 60 gigs in under 12 hours - how much bandwidth
is
> > that going to cost (metered for most ISPs). Try telling me again what's
> > cheaper, HD space or bandwidth ...
>
> Uhmm...thats 60 gigs per DAY.  Depending on your retention, that could end
> up being quite a large hunk of space.

7-14 days is normal...

> >> Again, this is a drivespace issue.  The problem isnt that its expensive
> >> build larger and larger news arrays, the problem is that its a huge
pain
> >> in the ass.  The idea is to get a bigger one than youre going to need
for
> >> at least a couple of years and use it to its capacity the entire time.
> > Again,
> >> a drivespace issue.
>
> > Why on earth would that be the case? Doesn't the SO you use allow you to
> > dynamically add more drive space to existing volumes? Hell, with W2K I
can
> > just add more partitions to a volume and grow it without so much as a
few
> > clicks. Add in storage from other servers using mount points without
> > breaking a sweat. You seem to act as if 60 gigs was a significant amount
of
> > space? It isn't today and wasn't 2 years ago - is your gear that dated?
>
> Again, thats 60 gigs per day.

Again, 60 gigs is pitifully small....

> >> Bandwidth is negligable.  A full-feed spooler is going to pull about
> > 2megs/sec
> >> average whether kulkis has a long sig or not.
>
> > We were talking about costs, cost to store on hard drives vs. cost to
move
> > across the net. Not only in the raw cost of the bandwidth but also in
what
> > it takes from the share your clients want to use. I know as a simple ISP
> > tech you don't get into the administration end of things, billing and
stuff,
> > but when you do you'll learn that hardware is cheap, it's intangebles
like
> > bandwidth (and talent) that isn't.
>
> Two megs/sec is NOT alot.  Its very, very little.  Your average ISP leases
> hundreds of T-1s and at least half a dozen DS3s.  THAT is alot of
bandwidth.

> News doesnt even cover the bandwidth of a busy webserver.

The average (key word) ISP does NOT have 100s of T1 and 6 DS3s. That's a
good ISP, a bigger regional one. Your AVERAGE local community ISP happily
splits up his DS3 or two, bandwidth for the newsfeed is a steady drain.

<yawn>

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 Oct 2000 16:15:10 -0500

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 13:10:54 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> >"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:8ru4kt$1du$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> You're right chad.  As right as dresden.  Theres no way a 4096
processor
> >> mainframe could ever beat a compaq machine.
> >>
> >> No, really.
> >
> >Spare me the sarcasm. Please answer the question. Why hasn't IBM
> >enterered their top-o'-the-line into the TPC race and annihilated the
> >competition? What reason would they have not to?
>
> Perhaps their marketing department is a bit more sophisticated
> than that.

I don't consider that more sophisticated, I think it's stupid. If it WERE
such a thing that was "below" IBM - they wouldn't have entered at all
(instead of several 100 times) and certainly wouldn't have spent $millions
to achieve 1st place (now second).

> Perhaps they know that this consumer grade sort of
> stinginess is less prevalent amongst customers willing to spend
> 6 or 7 figures on computing solutions.

I think that is very unlikely. If someone can spend a low 8 figures and
smoke the pants off someone in the higher 8 figures - there is a difference.

> Perhaps they don't find any reason to worry about being "outdone"
> by massively clustered solutions.

Perhaps they should be worried if bottom lines mean anything to anyone at
IBM sales..

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 Oct 2000 16:16:13 -0500

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 16:27:00 +0200, =?Windows-1252?Q?Paul_'Z'_Ewande=A9?=
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message news:
> >8ru4kt$1du$[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> ><SNIP> Some stuff </SNIP>
> >Take that strawman ! And that ! And that !
> >
> >Now that the strawman has been thoroughly thrashed, will you agree that
your
> >"Nope, microsoft/compaq can still not even come close to touching IBM in
any
> >way, shape or form." was a little overenthusiastic ?
>
> Show us the single Compaq that can manage 160K TPM.
>
> [deletia]

Your point? I didn't even look to see if there were but... so? Would you
prefer putting all your eggs in one basket or, as most do, enjoy the safety
of clusters?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 10 Oct 2000 21:16:19 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "." wrote:

>> > I'm near the end of my 2nd 6-year enlistment, and I'll re-enlist again.
>> > Whatever financial benefits there are to military service, the personal
>> > development (at least in the Army) is priceless.
>>
>> Thats very interesting.  And sweet.

>> > You sound like a typical liberal whiner.
>>
>> Except that im actually not a liberal,

> You exhibit liberal-leftist beliefs. Why is that

Which ones are those, exactly?

>> and im not whining.

> Quit whining

Im not, actually.

>>  You sound like the typical brainless army-clone.

> I spend 95% of my time in the civilian world.

Thats even worse.

>>  Your mind is erased in basic,

> Wrong.

Actually, quite correct.  Having many military men and women in my family (mostly
marines, some army, two navy and one airforce) I can say with absolute certianty
that the entire idea behind basic training is to homogenize thought and action.

War doesnt work if theres dissention.

>> reprogrammed
>> in the next couple of years with exactly what your superiors want you to be
>> thinking----and you still completely believe that you are in control of your
>> own life.

> I've studied brainwashing....and yes, the military engages in brainwashing.
> On the other hand, so do universities.

Maybe so, but universities arent nearly as good at it.

> You're upset because I have brainwashing from a source of which you don't approve.

Hah...I'm upset?  I hardly think so.

> Big fucking deal.

Its not actually, but it does make you kind of stupid and unable to notice
a linear aristolian argument even if it was sucking your dick.

>> hah.
>>
>> > Why are you whining, whiner.
>>
>> You're an idiot.

> You're still whining, whiner

Actually, telling you that youre an idiot isnt whining.  Its a statement of fact,
engineered to make you go away.  It didnt work.

>>  I hope youre infantry.  Itd suit you.

> I'm in communications.

Almost as good.  You probably know everything there is to know about one or two
entirely proprietary systems that youll never see anywhere else.

>> > The taught us that anti-Constitutional assholes like yourself are
>> > a threat to the security of our nation and way of life.
>>
>> Anti-constitutional assholes?  Youre going to have to qualify that.

> I allready did.

Actually, you didnt.  Here you're lying.

Its alright, I understand that they teach you how to do that in
basic training as well.

> You are an asshoole.

And you're a horrible speller.

> I qualified that with the adjective "anti-constitutional"

>>  When have I ever typed anything that was anti-constitutional?

> Your promotion of unconstitutional property seizure (money) for
> the purpose of redistribution to those who are lazy and/or live
> self-destructive lifestyles.

Promotion?  You actually have no idea how I feel about it, even
though ive actually told you EXACTLY how I feel about it.  Which is
somewhat how you feel about it, though not nearly as blind, idiotic,
lame, retarded, thoughtless and moot.

>> You really are a huge idiot, mr. kulkis.  You see enemies everywhere;
>> everything is a fight with you.  Just like they taught you to think.

> Those who do not see the enemies soon fall prey to them.

You're a retarded military zombie.  They have made you into a worthless
shell of a human.  There is no point to you at all.  Your actions
have no worth, your thoughts have no value.  Please drive through.

=====.

------------------------------

From: Static66 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 21:18:51 GMT

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 05:14:17 GMT, Loren Petrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, STATIC66
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 09 Oct 2000 05:04:05 GMT, Loren Petrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:

>> >   Cry me a river. I presume that you reimbursed the government for the
>> >cost of military training also.
>> Yes I did, with hard work, sacrifice and months and months away from
>> my family, whilst you enjoyed the freedoms I was protecting.
>
>   Enjoy feeling sorry for yourself. Did you pay in MONEY???

Do you reimburse your employer for OJT?? I doubt it. Did you reimburse
Mcdonalds for teaching you how to make fries???

Training I received in the military "free of monetary charge" was to
enable me to perform my job with a higher degree of proficiency. It
was not to advance my monetary position in this world like a
university course.

The skills that help me most in the civilian world you wouldn't begin
to understand, being a pinko anti-military kook.

Everywhere I have gone I have excelled and often surpassed my peers
because of these skills.

What are they??

1. Discipline
2. Attention to detail
3. Duty ( I don't miss work, I am never late)
4. Self reliance
5. Respect for authority

I could go on and on about the basic skills taught in military
service, but you just wouldn't understand.

You make excuses I make it happen it is that simple.

Go ahead and cry to me about how hard your college life was (been
there done that it doesn't compare)

>> >   In other words, kids deserve handouts from their parents.
>> So you would argue that handouts should be government regulated, but
>> when parents HELP their kids it is bad??
>
>   No, I was pointing out what parents typically do with kids -- give
>them handouts.
>
>>  Guess in your mind it is
>> better if you do not have to think, "the government will do it for
>> me". Nice way to dodge responsibility too....typical liberal..
>
>   Such as run the military so you won't have to organize your own
>militia?

this is an idiotic statement at best.

My military service had nothing to do with "what the government can do
for me" it was quite the opposite actually.

Your feeble liberal mind may struggle with this concept but..

It was "What can I do for my country" ...

>> >   It must be said that the proper no-handout child raising would be to
>> >dump one's kids in the woods when they are born, so they will have to
>> >be as self-reliant as members of most other species have to be.
>>
>> Actually smart one I think you would find that most mammals NUTURE and
>> CARE for their young until they reach an age where they can provide
>> for themselves. I think you were thinking of the cold blooded
>> reptiles..
>
>   That "NURTURING" and "CARING" are giving handouts.
>
>   And egg-layers give big handouts in the form of the eggs' content.
>
>   One has to look to microbes to find any real virtue :-(

Life is a series of handouts!! HA!!

 You just summarized the liberal mindset for us..thank you!!

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 Oct 2000 16:20:13 -0500

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message news:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >> On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 16:27:00 +0200,
=?Windows-1252?Q?Paul_'Z'_Ewande=A9?=

> >processor

> >your
> >any
> >>
> >> Show us the single Compaq that can manage 160K TPM.
> >
> >Take that strawman ! And that ! And that !
> >
> >Now that the strawman has been thoroughly thrashed, once again, will you
> >agree that this "Nope, microsoft/compaq can still not even come close to
> >touching IBM in any way, shape or form." was a little overenthusiastic ?
> >

> No it hasn't.
>
> Partitioning the data, signficantly alters the problem.

The benchmark rules are VERY specific and clear. Partitioning solves the
problem.

> [deletia]
>
> My comment is on topic: the top 10 tcp-c scores.
>
> All of the non-windos scores are for single systems that are
> less constrained in the sorts of tasks you could assign to them.
> ALL of the NT systems in the top 10 are only there because of
> loosely coupled clustering.

Single systems? No, they are not. Read...

> They might as well be using Beowulf.

Again, coulda but didn't. Convention of scarecrows around here... Speaking
of Beowulf - I STILL seen exactly 0 Linux scores in ANY significant
benchmark (other than weird german magazines months old).

> You just choose to ignore views of the data that undermine
> your little agenda. These are issues that REAL admins cannot
> simply sweep under the carpet.

No - you choose to ignore FACTS, solid documented facts backed up by
multimillion dollar real world ventures with your mythical postuturing...

> So, again: where is Compaq's machine that can do 160TPM?

So, again: who cares? Do we say: "Ah, Google with Linux is so pathetic, they
have to use clusters! ahahhaha." then add: "Show me the single linux box
that can run Google"?

Silly ...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 10 Oct 2000 21:21:38 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Loren Petrich wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, STATIC66
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > Yes I did, with hard work, sacrifice and months and months away from
>> > my family, whilst you enjoyed the freedoms I was protecting.
>>
>>    Enjoy feeling sorry for yourself. Did you pay in MONEY???

> Loren, you owe every serviceman a LOT more than what you have paid
> them.  If it was not for us, you would be the impoverished subject
> of some totalitarian regime.

Hah.  If it wasnt for you sitting in a comfortable chair in front of
some kind of 'communications' console?  You arent FIGHTING, friend, you're
(if youre in the reserves, especially) wimping out.  You are a coward
and an idiot.

=====.

------------------------------

From: "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 Oct 2000 16:23:08 -0500

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message news:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> ><SNIP> Some stuff </SNIP>

> >> No it hasn't.
> >
> >Look, the Compaq cluster, which is a way, shape or form of computing as
far
> >as I am concerned, thoroughly spanks the IBM uni-server solution 505302
> >163775.
> >
> >> Partitioning the data, signficantly alters the problem.
> >
> >Does that magically diminish the TPC-C scores of the 2K systems ?
>
> Depending on what you do, yes.
>
> [deletia]
>
> Where is the single NT based server that can do 160K TPM?

AND AGAIN - who cares? What's the point? That's like saying: "I've got a
soccer player who can KICK ANYONE'S ASS, including EVERYONE on your team
individually" - then we play and my team of "inferiour" players kicks your
single players ass. Are you still going to be whining? Where is that single
player that can beat my single player? No, we'll all be laughing that you
only fielded one player while we put on the proper team.

uni-server solutions are old-school ... time to graduate

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 10 Oct 2000 21:24:08 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8rua0f$1du$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>
>> > "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:8rt870$t84$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > wrote:
>> > <snip> >> And how much ingress do you think a news server that carries a
>> > full feed

> gigs
>> > and

>> > <snip>
> tell
>> > you,
>> > tweaking
>> > out.
>>
>> > how is it you figure 60 gigs is a lot of "DRIVE" space (why your
> emphasis I
>> > don't know). Given that 40 gig HD's are under $200, and four of them
> would
>> > give you a nice 80 gigs of stripped/mirrored storage - what is your hang
> up
>> > with that? Now, move this 60 gigs in under 12 hours - how much bandwidth
> is
>> > that going to cost (metered for most ISPs). Try telling me again what's
>> > cheaper, HD space or bandwidth ...
>>
>> Uhmm...thats 60 gigs per DAY.  Depending on your retention, that could end
>> up being quite a large hunk of space.

> 7-14 days is normal...

For a shitty news server.  For text spools, a month is normal.  Binaries
usually go anywhere from 4 days to a week.

> pain
> for
>> > Again,
>>
>> > Why on earth would that be the case? Doesn't the SO you use allow you to
>> > dynamically add more drive space to existing volumes? Hell, with W2K I
> can
>> > just add more partitions to a volume and grow it without so much as a
> few
>> > clicks. Add in storage from other servers using mount points without
>> > breaking a sweat. You seem to act as if 60 gigs was a significant amount
> of
>> > space? It isn't today and wasn't 2 years ago - is your gear that dated?
>>
>> Again, thats 60 gigs per day.

> Again, 60 gigs is pitifully small....

I'm not sure how youve managed to shut down enough of your brain to entirely
miss this point THREE times, but im finished discussing it. :)

>> > 2megs/sec
>>
>> > We were talking about costs, cost to store on hard drives vs. cost to
> move
>> > across the net. Not only in the raw cost of the bandwidth but also in
> what
>> > it takes from the share your clients want to use. I know as a simple ISP
>> > tech you don't get into the administration end of things, billing and
> stuff,
>> > but when you do you'll learn that hardware is cheap, it's intangebles
> like
>> > bandwidth (and talent) that isn't.
>>
>> Two megs/sec is NOT alot.  Its very, very little.  Your average ISP leases
>> hundreds of T-1s and at least half a dozen DS3s.  THAT is alot of
> bandwidth.
>>
>> News doesnt even cover the bandwidth of a busy webserver.

> The average (key word) ISP does NOT have 100s of T1 and 6 DS3s. That's a
> good ISP, a bigger regional one. Your AVERAGE local community ISP

I didnt say "local community isp" dresden, because thats not what I meant.
I meant average ISP.

And that IS average.  You dont know what youre talking about, once again.

> happily
> splits up his DS3 or two, bandwidth for the newsfeed is a steady drain.

There are a handful of mom-and-pop operations left, and their number is
very quickly dwindling.  Again, if you knew what you were talking about
at all, you would have known this.

=====.