  Re: The Power of the Future! (Chris Wenham)

From: "D'Arcy Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:46:10 GMT

"Paul 'Z' Ewande©" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8s44kg$ahk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Let me get that straight to see if I understood you correctly.

I have absolutly no idea if MS did any of that or not... but your logic
is faulty:

> - MS uses undocumented functions to trump competitors.
> - Smart competitors don't use those undocumented functions.
> - Not So Smart ones do.

- MS changes their code to not use the undocumented functions
or to cope with the changes to undocumented functions.

> - MS gets rid of said undocumented functions.
> - Not So Smart developers apps break.
> - MS apps magically _still_ work.

No... MS apps still work because they knew in advance to stop using the
function, or that the behaviour had changed, or whatever.

Now of course that would mean that older MS software couldn't run
on newer versions of the OS (assuming it used those changed/removed
undocumented functions).  I have no idea id that is true.

..darcy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: End-User Alternative to Windows
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:46:44 GMT

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 04:27:23 -0600, David Fulton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>conducted with an entirely different philosophy than Windows. Also, Windows
>95/98 and, yes, Me are still running on top of a real mode MS-DOS, no matter
>how much MS may try to say that they are OSes, they are not, the DOS
>underneath is the OS with a protected mode 32bit GUI on top of it. I will

Not quite.  DOS has never been an operating system;  it is just a program loader
and file system.

Calling DOS an OS because it loads first is like calling lilo an operating
system.

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Space Shuttle uses Windows software almost exclusively
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 09:48:03 -0400

"Timberwoof" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "JS/PL"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "Walter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > How many people would associate "sun" with computers? Yet, Sun
> > > Microsystems is one of the most successful computer companies in
> > > the world with hightst (I think still has) share of the Unix
> > > market.
> >
> > I asked my 112 year old grandpa what he thought of Sun and he
> > responded "Oh you must mean Sun, one of the most  successfull
> > computer companies on earth. I then said "What about Apple?" He said
> > "whaa".
>
> That sounds preposterous. Do you have a reference to back up that claim?
>
> }: )

I've posted the links many times.

------------------------------

From: Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What I would like to see in an OS:
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 08:51:00 -0500

Gardiner Family wrote:

> I am no win advocate or Linux advocate, however, if I were to design an
> OS these are some of the features:
>
> 1. Linux Kernel
> 2. Standardised GUI, either, MacOS or Windows like interface
> 3. Simplified Library structure similar to what Amiga had (ie,
> icons.library, fonts.library, printers.library)
> 4. ReiserFS as the file system
> 5. A windows interpreter, when a program makes a call it goes through a
> filter (like wine) and matchs the windows dll call with the UNIX
> equivilant.

gee, sounds like most linux distributions will be by jan 2001.

--
Tim Kelley

From: Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Off-topic Idiots (Was Bush v. Gore on taxes)
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:59:34 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> It shows that you brought up "off-topic posting", Marty,
>
> > Irrelevant, as doing so was an act of staying on topic.
>
> Exactly how does that statement represent an act of staying on topic,

See the subject line.

> when the topic was about you practicing what you were preaching with
> regard to "Stop being a hypocrite and grow up", Marty?

Incorrect.  See the subject line.

> >> despite the fact that I was suggesting that you practice what you
> >> preach.
>
> > You made no such suggestion, Dave.
>
> Incorrect:
>
> DT] Practice what you preach, Marty.

That's not a suggestion, Dave.

> Still suffering from reading comprehension problems, Marty?

Not at all.

> >> Context, Marty.
>
> > Like the thread topic, for example?
>
> Are you able to comprehend that?

Obviously.

> You certainly didn't comprehend that I wrote:
>
> DT] Practice what you preach, Marty.

Incorrect.  You simply failed to realize that it was not a suggestion.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux Sucks
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:10:40 GMT

I never said any of it was a MS invention. Winamp certainly isn't. I
am saying that Linux movement is cloning interface,applications etc
all in an effort to compete with Windows. Sure there are WM's and cli
applications that don't look anything like Windows (Wmaker or some of
the cli players) but it is obvious where Linux is going and who they
want to take market share from.

claire

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:12:56 GMT

I don't think I played that one. I had Missle Command though.

claire

------------------------------

From: Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: David T. Johnson lies again
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:09:39 GMT

"David T. Johnson" wrote:

> You claim that my statement that I have not harassed and denigrated OS/2
> developers is a lie.

And I explained why.

> You maintain that you are an OS/2 developer.

Because I am.  Having trouble accepting an established fact?  Not surprising,
I suppose.

> I have never harassed and denigrated 'OS/2 developers' or anyone else
> and your claim is disgusting.

On what basis do you make this claim?  I already explained my reasoning, which
you have failed to debunk.

> Apologize or face the consequences.

Do you utilize the same (to quote Joe Malloy) "mythical and ineffective
lawyer" as Tholen?  It's interesting how you can launch 2 threads targetted at
attacking individuals (Kulkis and Wenham), and yet feel completely justified
in playing the victim.  That hearkens back to what I was saying about your
hypocrisy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: You Linux folks Just Don't Get It....
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:13:44 GMT

So try arguing the point instead of the person.

claire

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 14:21:53 GMT

Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Psst... I am an OS/2 developer.

It looks to me like you're doing the harassing....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donal K. Fellows)
Subject: Re: filename extensions are NOT a kludge
Date: 12 Oct 2000 14:26:21 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Richard  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Donal K. Fellows" wrote:
>> No, it was the lack of real objects.  For all that the problem was
>> very functional in nature, it was also very OO in nature too, and it
>> turned out to be easier to state it all in Java.  In terms of
>> minimised opacity of code. at least.
>
> Java is horrible as an OO language and even worse as a functional
> language. It would probably have been far better to use Smalltalk,
> which has simple support for delayed evaluation, than Java's
> monstrous notion of 'blocks'. Unless there's something I'm missing.

You're missing loads of things, like the fact that I know Java, don't
know Smalltalk and haven't had the time to learn something like it for
a good number of years now[*], that the software is going to have to
integrate with an existing server implemented in Java[**], and that
the problem was that I was not in need of evaluation delaying, but
rather precise control over what equality meant.  Don't assume that
the world is structured in the way that you came to perceive it.

I'd have more success persuading my co-workers to use Common Lisp than
Smalltalk...

Donal.
[* I'm not some poxy postgrad student with more time than sense. ]
[** Implementation languages are a political decision.  Smalltalk is
    just not sexy enough, and its harder round here to get a good
    supply of willing slaves^H^H^H^H^H^H^H masters students to work on
    your code for you. ]
--
Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- OK, there is the MFC, but it only makes the chaos object orientated.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donal K. Fellows)
Subject: Re: programming languages and design
Date: 12 Oct 2000 14:37:30 GMT

In article <8rj467$mvq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Steve Mading  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Multi-lingual solutions are inherently more complex because the
> interface between languages will not be smooth.  You must either
> communicate between seperate processes or deal with cross-lingual
> linking into one program, which isn't much fun.

There are some very good tools in this area.  SWIG, for example.

> C++ certainly isn't the most high-level language out there, and it
> isn't the most low-level language out there.

True.

> But it is the most "wide-ranging" language I've encountered, with
> the greatest coverage of both high and low level tasks.  This is why
> I've found it handy.  The fact that it achieved this by maintaining
> old C features isn't relevant to me.  That was just the easiest way
> to get that wide range of depth.

The problem is that there are other (typically high-level) features
which it is nice to have which C++ can't really provide due to its
existing breadth of features.  For example, mixing loading of code
from arbitrary (untrusted) sources and unbounded address arithmetic -
both of which are useful features - is a really bad idea (i.e. a
stinking big security hole!)  Security and reliability are features I
*really* go for, and they are both emergent features (i.e. they depend
on the system as a whole.)

Donal.

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,alt.conspiracy.area51,comp.os.netware.misc,comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 12:12:51 -0300

El jue, 12 oct 2000, John Lockwood escribió:
>On Wed, 11 Oct 2000 13:55:53 -0300, Roberto Alsina
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>El mié, 11 oct 2000, Simon Cooke escribió:
>>>"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>>news:vSPE5.133$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>>[snip about how two weeks is way overkill]
>>

>Snip indeed.  "From a week or two" to "two weeks", and complain that
>the second is way overkill.

You know, replying to comment on what was NOT included in the message instead
of what actually was is kinda lame.

>  Of course most of the people who've
>written here to say they could do it faster assumed they wouldn't have
>to write the help system, or they assumed Delphi, or they assumed a
>canopener.

Why should anyone write the help system, if it's already available?

>What is amusing in a sort of "why the fuck am I still here" sort of
>way is watching the lot of you making my point for me that it's
>trivial while at the same time making me feel bad about it.

I totally agree that it's trivial, and I have no intention to make you feel bad
about anything. In fat, I don't give a damn about how you feel, really.

>Socializing here is right up there with sticking needles in one's
>eyes.  I suppose you could do a better job at that, too.  Bully for
>you.

Oh, whatever. You pick on me, and you don't even care about what I wrote. Shame
on you.

--
Robreto Alsina

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: The Power of the Future!
From: Chris Wenham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 15:08:15 GMT

    > "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

    >> > Tell me one thing that BeOS can do that Linux is conceptually
    >> > incapable of.

    >> Don't forget about the 3D cube rotating with the movies
    >> playing on it! <grin>

    > Bah. Apple has this beat. Haven't you seen the OS X demo where Jobs is
    > editing a PDF file that's being mapped onto a rotating OpenGL model in
    > real time? ;-P

 And ALL Mac OS X applications are going to be JUST LIKE THIS!

 "Wow, every three seconds my document rotates far enough for me to
 see it!"

 "MacAMP is so much better because the spectrum analyzer is mapped on
 an OpenGL cube spinning inside a teapot that's pouring liquid bees!"

 "I have all the navigation controls of my browser mapped onto a
 dodecahedron that also doubles as the 'loading...' animation!"

 "I've mapped a Java applet of a rotating cube onto an OpenGL cube
 that's running on a monitor that I'm spinning around on a Lazy
 Susan!"

Regards,

Chris Wenham

                                - And there will be constant moving