  Re: Why is MS copying Sun??? (Ketil Z Malde)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: The Power of the Future!
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 03:02:12 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Drestin Black wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> application
> is
> > > out.

> deal
> > > with
> hours
> doesn't
> > > take

> > > saying
> you/I
> > > say

> Solaris
> mail -
> > > NOT

> > > application
> hotmail

> > > You are the fool and idiot. You cannot prove anything whatsoever.
> >
> > Personal observation in the workplace is sufficient.
>
> I'll remember that the next time you ask me to prove something.

Only if you promise to make your observations without the aid
of MS-Rose-colored-glasses.

> > > Prove their attempt to migrate at any time.
> >
> > They certainly ballyhood the "upcoming" event in their announcements.
>
> oh?
>

> > > Prove their attempt to migrate and failure at any time.
> >
> > They had to abandon the product becuase it was a fiasco.
>
> Prove it. Prove it. Prove it in any way shape or form. Document ANYTHING
> about this pathetic years old claim. Document it for the present, or the
> past - prove ANYTHING whatsoever about that crap being even remotely
> distantly true. You can spue this crap forever and no one will ever buy
> it... silly.

YOU are the one making the claim, therefore, it is incumbent upon YOU to
prove wheter Hotmail was migrated to MS-LoseDows

> > > W2K obviously can handle the load because the same
> > > number of servers that ran hotmail under BSD are now running a larger
> load
> > > under W2K (same hardware, better results). And, look for Slowaris to be
> > > replaced at hotmail before years end...
> >

> > W2K can handle the load, but Microsoft is NOT migrating the servers
> > at Hotmail (an MS property) and it didn't fail because they never
> > attempted to migrate Hotmail.
>
> I don't know where this came from but a) MS has already migrated the web
> servers at hotmail.com to W2K - that is already done. The hotmail
> application is next. And, yes, they never attempted to migrate hotmail
> before this (app or httpds)

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Migration --> NT costing please :-)
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 03:06:46 -0400

Drestin Black wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Drestin Black wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Poor baby.
> >
> > Any man who believes in his opinions should have no problem posting
> > under his real name.
> >
> > The fact that you don't reveals that you know that you're posting
> > bullshit, and are scared shitless that any company in Detroit would
> > ever find out your real name....isn't it.
>
> Want some cheeze with that whine?

COWARD

> > http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632
>
> ps, I went there but stripped off your referrer

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marada C. Shradrakaii)
Subject: Re: What I would like to see in an OS:
Date: 13 Oct 2000 07:16:15 GMT

>Windows, easy to use and administrate.

Windows is terrible to administer.  It's very odd about hardware changes.  I
swapped out the monitor on a 98SE box recently, and it wouldn't identify it as
anything different (which it should-- going from a 1024x768@60Hz 14" to an 85Hz
19") until the VGA card was changed.
--
Marada Coeurfuege Shra'drakaii
Colony name not needed in address.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Legal issues - Re: Linux DVD player!
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 03:29:04 -0400

"R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" wrote:

> In article <8rupti$rmi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > "R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8rtr5m$1bn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > >
> > > Unfortunately, the MPAA is doing everything they can to prevent this
> > > thing from coming to market.
> > > Furthermore, they are allowing Microsoft
> > > to do exactly what they are trying to prevent LinDVD and DeCSS from
> > > doing.
> > >
> > Rex
> >
> > You've posted this many times before,
> > and have yet to provide any evidence
> > to your claim.  I would be interested
> > to see your answers to these
> > questions:
>
> Keep in mind that the standard Microsoft alliance contracts
> allow Microsoft to control when, and if, it's name can be
> used in relationship to the venture.  This includes giving
> Microsoft the ability have the partner to remove all references
> if Microsoft so chooses.
>
> As recently as 2 weeks after the initial filing of the complaints
> against those associated with DeCSS and LiVID, Microsoft was listed
> as the primary software partner in the DVD-CSS consortium.  The other
> was a "second banana" whose name was neither memorable nor impressive.
> (probably controlled by Microsoft anyway).
>
> Furthermore, a list of "approved" software was included which included
> software exclusively for Windows 9x and NT (Win2K hadn't been released
> yet).
>
> Unfortunately, I didn't bother to print hard copy (I read over 500
> web pages/day and author about 20 pages per day, and have done so
> for 10 years, by now I'd fill a small public library if I saved
> everything to hardcopy).  And web pages are designed to be difficult
> to save (to prevent massive piracy).
>
> Some more interesting notes
>
> http://wirednews.com/news/politics/0,1283,33922,00.html
> Lawyers representing the DVD industry got caught in an embarrassing
> gaffe when they filed a lawsuit and accidentally publicized the
> computer code they wanted to keep secret.
>
> The DVD Copy Control Association included its "trade secret" source
> code in court documents, but forgot to ask the judge to seal them
> from public scrutiny.
>
> Which means that it is now in public domain.

Heyaaaaaaaah!

And there are so many DVD players out now, they don't dare change
the algorithm

Heh heheh heheh

> Here's the reference to the case.
> http://www.protectmicrosoft.com/bib.html
>
> This one reference was culled (for those of you - like me- who AREN'T
> using Internet Explorer, or have disabled the trojan horses.
>
> http://slashdot.org/articles/99/12/27/194216.shtml
>
> > Cheers
> >
> > Stu
>
> --
> Rex Ballard - I/T Architect, MIS Director
> Linux Advocate, Internet Pioneer
> http://www.open4success.com
> Linux - 50 million satisfied users worldwide
> and growing at over 5%/month! (recalibrated 8/2/00)
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Winvocates and Linvocates: What do you use your desktop OS for?
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 03:36:42 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Drestin Black wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron Ginn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Actually, I use my Windows 2000 desktop for... everything. unlike other
> > > OSes, there has never EVER been not even one single time that I've ever
> > > thought: "Gee, I wish I had an app like 'xyz' on 'os uvw'".
> >
> > That's because you never get involved with high-end computing.
> >
> > When companies start putting 200Gig databases on Lose2k, you get back to
> us.
> >
> > Until then, stop pretending that M$ has even bothered to develop a real
> OS.
> >

> <snip>
>
> Hmmm. I must be imagining the 800K user (active users) mailsystem with >1TB
> of mailstores running on NT 4.0 just around the corner.

*1* server app. ... Mail... big fucking deal.

Any respectable Unix server can run Mail, DNS, Web services, etc., etc.,
....NO PROBLEM.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: What kind of WinTroll Idiot are you anyway?
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 03:38:37 -0400

Nathaniel Jay Lee wrote:

> Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:
> >
> >"Nathaniel Jay Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> I'll break my self-enforced silence this once.
> >>
> >> Dresden, you are exactly the type of person I was talking
> >> about.  You are the biggest RAH RAH Microsoft cheerleader
> >> I have ever heard.  You absolutely will never admit to
> >> there being any fault with any MS product ever.  You
> >> accuse anyone that says anything positive about any
> >> competing operating system as being full of shit, and you
> >> basically demonstrate nothing but stupidity and an
> >> absolute lack of perspective in any post you put out.
> >
> >And I can see that you only read what you want to and don't understand any
> >point of view other than your own agenda. I am not MS's biggest fan and I
>
> Well, as I'm sure everyone in COLA knows (and how do you
> end up posting so much shit in the forum for Linux
> advocacy?  So much for your bullshit, 'don't post in
> Windows NT advocacy forums'), I'm definitely the worst
> Linux zealot of all time.
>
> Now, if you would actually look through some old posts you
> will see I was extremely (read really fucking pissed off)
> with the stupid Tux kernel space web server (almost as
> pissed as I am about NFS servers in kernel space).
>
> I complaign about Linux things when I see fit.  And it's
> very rare that I cheerlead for Linux.  But I do respond
> when someone bullshits his way through life, cheerleading
> the market leader and telling everyone else what a fuckwit
> they are for disagreeing with you.  Goddamned stupid
> mother-fucker.  I've had enough of your ego-maniacal crap.
> Microsoft is not the be-all end-all.  They are just
> another option.  And eventually even you must realize that
> anyone that disagrees with your stupid
> self-congradulatory, MS-cheerleading, RAH! RAH!, all hail
> the king  bullshit is not a Linux zealot.  Fuck off twit.
>
> You're one of the biggest reasons that USENET isn't
> enjoyable anymore.  You accuse people of being zealots any
> time they disagree, yet you refuse to see anything beyond
> your (obviously limitted) experience.  People like you and
> Kulkis ought to find a camp in Montanna.  Preferrably
> without internet accesss.

Drestin Lies refuses to post under his own name because the
fuck-head knows that his whole IT career (assuming he has one)
would be ruined within hours if his name is ever revealed.

> --
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Nathaniel Jay Lee

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 03:43:48 -0400

Said Jeff Sturm in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>Bob Hauck wrote:
>> >So if it's so well understood then why did the WINE folks fail?
>>
>> Maybe they're stupid.  That seems to be the explanation you folks
>> always trot out for why competitors can't compete against MS.
>>
>> Or, just maybe there's more there than meets the eye and MSDN?
>
>Win32 seems like a reasonably well documented API.
>
>But Wine is trying to accomplish more than that: binary compatibility.  I don't
>know if Microsoft's ABI is fully documented anywhere.  At least I haven't seen
>it.

I don't believe there is any such thing as an 'ABI'.  Did you just make
that up?

>Full binary compatibility is much more difficult than source compatibility.

And the more difficult it is, the more Win32 proves to be anything but a
'reasonably well documented API'.

> You
>must take into account calling conventions, dynamic linking/loading, exception
>handling, etc. none of which are covered by the API.

You must take into account that vendors don't "own" their API.  So long
as there is no market demand for some other company to provide software
to support that API, they are quite free to do whatever they want.  But
if there is a free market, without criminal monopolization, then the
value of the API to the market, and thus their own software, in addition
to competitors, is determined by how well constructed and how well
documented that API is.  That is what makes their software competitive;
the precision to which the software matches the documented behavior, and
the amount the document behavior matches the software.  Win32 is crap,
because it is monopoly crapware.  It is in Microsoft's best interest to
make each version a bit *less* useful to the consumer than the previous
one (which it accomplishes partially by making it more 'featureful' to
lock-in reliance on their software among the developers, particularly
the most braindead, greedy, or simply shallow ones.  Because Microsoft
does not make money writing good software; they make money writing *new*
software.  And the problems in their current version are nothing but
blackmail to demand that you get the newest version, and free upgrades
are not an option (outside hasty patches) at all, regardless of how
severely the previous version failed to meet the requirements
established based on Microsoft's vapor-ware hype maneuvering.

We don't have to take into account anything about exception handling,
unless the API is crap, right?  It *is* supposed to be an OS API, isn't
it?  Aren't OSes *supposed* to deal with exception handling?

======USENET VIRUS=======COPY THE URL BELOW TO YOUR SIG==============

Sign the petition and keep Deja's archive alive!

http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 03:42:57 -0400

Mike Byrns wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Drestin Black wrote:
> > >
> > > "Mike Byrns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > cause he can't get that right either... ask his CO
> >
> > I have a BETTER idea....coward.
> >
> > How about YOU ask my CO.
> >
> > Bet you won't....COWARD.
> >
> > heh heh heh
>
> Why don't you just threaten to shoot him, Rambo?

You first, shit-for-brains.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Ketil Z Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 07:45:26 GMT

T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> But Wine is trying to accomplish more than that: binary
>> compatibility.  I don't know if Microsoft's ABI is fully documented
>> anywhere.  At least I haven't seen it.

> I don't believe there is any such thing as an 'ABI'.  Did you just
> make that up?

Application Binary Interface, no, he didn't make it up.

> You must take into account that vendors don't "own" their API.

Perhaps in an ideal world.  In practice, anything Microsoft does to
Win32 becomes the standard.  And legally, they can probably protect it
with copyright laws as well as trade-secret laws - not to mention
patents  (if they can patent a file format, I don't see why not an
API)

-kzm