From: lyttlec <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need expert for info on troubleshooting Linux
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 23:14:59 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I thought it came optimized perfectly right out of the box and ready
> to boot after which you should not have to reboot it for at least 28
> months or so baring act's of God and such?
>
> Could I be wrong here?
>
> claire
>
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2000 14:39:46 -0700, "Seth S."
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm in desperate need of an expert or two to help me develop an article on
> >troubleshooting (or optimizing) RedHat Linux 7. If anyone thinks they can
> >help, or knows of someone who can, please email me at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> >Thanks,
Just to save someone a bit of trouble. By tradition any Linux release
ending with an even number is "experimental". That is they have lots of
new features that might not all work well out of the box. Odd numbers
are traditionally more stable. Also you will hear about the "most stable
release" usually two or three back with some patches.

One big difference is that you can get whichever you want. You have
enough history to make an informed decision. Unlike MS where everything
is hidden.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 23:23:16 GMT

Linux in and of itself is an experiment in progress fostered on the
public. It is a semi-ready for prime time pile of junk masquerading as
an alternative to Windows and nothing could be farther from the truth.

If you're a geek running a server farm go and try it. If you are
looking for a desktop alternative to Windows, look elsewhere (Mac
would be a good choice).

claire

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: David T. Johnson lies again
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 23:28:30 GMT

Marty writes:

>> David T. Johnson writes [to Marty]:

>>> You continue to repeat the same arguments which futilely attempt to
>>> characterize my replys to your personal attacks and name-calling as
>>> 'harassment and denigration' of OS/2 developers.  You have falsely
>>> accused me of harassment and denigration of OS/2 developers.  For that,
>>> you will have to answer.

>> Marty has also falsely accused me of a "smear crusade" against an
>> OS/2 ISV.  What do you suppose causes such strange behavior?
>> Meanwhile, he's not said anything about Glatt's libelous claim
>> that my own OS/2 software lost its certification.  Makes you wonder
>> if Marty recognizes a real "smear crusade" when he sees one.

> I certainly have recognized Tim Martin's smear crusades (note plural).

The issue is your libelous claim that I engaged in a "smear crusade"
against an OS/2 ISV, Marty.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 23:30:29 GMT

Marty writes:

>>> Who is your lawyer and what has he done for you?

>> You and Malloy made the claim, Marty, therefore the burden of proof
>> falls on your shoulders.

> I asked a question.

You made a claim about a "mythical and ineffective lawyer", Marty.
Substantiate it.

> I made no claim, Dave.

Incorrect, Marty.

> You, however, made a claim that he is neither mythical nor ineffective,

A direct reference to your unsubstantiated and erroneous claim, Marty,
despite the fact that you deny making a claim.

> and I was asking for some form of evidence on that matter.

I was asking for some form of evidence that my lawyer is "mythical
and ineffective", Marty.

------------------------------

From: Shane Phelps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 22:08:19 +1000

Mike Byrns wrote:

> "Frédéric G. MARAND" wrote:
>
> > Can you seriously write that ?
> >
> > Or add something like "..part of the time" .
> >
> > John Lockwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message :
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > On Sun, 08 Oct 2000 22:25:25 -0400, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > [...]
> > > 1) Windows works.
> > [...]
>
> Windows works for business almost all of the time.  Start talking 9s on
> the desktop and you'll find that it's the best desktop OS out there.
> That's why it's the most popular OS for the desktop.  On the server
> Windows 2000 has made innovative inroads into the UNIX space at a

Mind telling me how W2K costs less than $0?

ROTFLOL

> fraction of the cost.  It will only get better from here.  Linux is

It'd need to get better! Well, at least you don't need to reboot
your 24x7 server if you change the IP address on one of the secondary
network interfaces now :-)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Off-topic Idiots (Was Bush v. Gore on taxes)
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 23:34:26 GMT

Marty writes:

>>> On what basis do you make this claim?

>> MA] Stop being a hypocrite and grow up.
>>   ]
>> DT] Practice what you preach, Marty.

> How does that deal with "Re: Off-topic Idiots (Was Bush v. Gore on taxes)"?

It deals with what you posted, Marty.  If you wish to claim that what
you posted was on-topic, then my response must also be on-topic.

>>> Note the nature of the hypocrisy to which I was referring and how it deals
>>> with the subject line.

>> Note how you don't practice what you preach, Marty.

> I didn't "preach" about off-topic postings, Dave.

You preached about hypocrisy, Marty.

>>> Consult your grammar school English teacher to verify that your statement was
>>> an imperative.

>> Practice what you preach, Marty.

> Unnecessary, as I already knew that the statement in question was an
> imperative.

You obviously don't know that it is a suggestion, Marty.

>>> Suggestions are given in a passive tone.

>> Not necessarily, Marty.

> Evidence, please.

See my aforementioned suggestion, Marty.

>>> Because I am correctly identifying it as an imperative.

>> You're failing to recognize it as a suggestion, Marty.

> Because I am correctly identifying it as an imperative.

You're failing to recognize it as a suggestion, Marty.

>>> Because the topic is "Re: Off-topic Idiots (Was Bush v. Gore on taxes)".

>> Yet you were talking about someone being a hypocrite, Marty.

> Very good Dave.  Note the nature of the hypocrisy to which I was referring.

Note the nature of my response, Marty.

>>> Where is the irony?

>> DT] coming from the person who doesn't recognize it as a suggestion.

> Repeating your statement does not provide demonstration of irony, Dave.

It does answer your question regarding the whereabouts of the irony,
Marty.

From: Linux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Convince me to run Linux?
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 23:50:39 GMT

I really do want to run Linux but I can't find any viable reason to
switch from Windows ME to Linux?

My Dell comes with Windows ME installed as well as internet access and
all of the programs, including Quicken, encyclopedias and children's
scholastic program's all pre installed.

Why should I switch to Linux?

I asked Dell about Linux when I placed my order, about 2 weeks ago,
and they laughed saying that 99 percent of the Linux pre-loads they
shipped come back with the customers asking for the Windows pre-load
instead.

According to them, it is just a matter of them exchanging the hard
disk?

I have not committed to my order yet, but I am having second thoughts?

What viable reasons are there for going with Linux?

Izzy

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 19:58:12 -0400
From: Larry Ebbitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: End-User Alternative to Windows

2:1 wrote:

> The early OSs were a lot less than DOS was. Dos is an old OS. 20 years
> ago, that wasw about all the OS you could fit o to one of those
> computers, but it was still an OS. Just because it was used long past
> it's use-by data, doesn't make it any less of an OS.

The industry standards and real OS's were around long before DOS for
OC's. IBM had a couple and UNIX was around.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How low can they go...?
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 01:14:09 +0200

In article <NIsE5.50444$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Weevil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bill Gates belongs in jail.  So does Steve Ballmer.  So do a dozen other MS
> executives past and present.  Microsoft was built on theft, lies, and
> plagiarism, and it hasn't changed a damn bit.  It never will.  You're one of
> the apparently endless number of fools who can't or refuse to see this.
>
> Software in general, but especially OS software, is at LEAST 10 years behind
> where it would have been if not for Bill Gates, Steve Ballmer, et al, and
> their utterly evil willingness to stifle any and all competition illegally
> while investing next to nothing in improving their own products.
>
> This is not conjecture.  It is not bitter spewing from a Microsoft hater.
> It is fact.  It has been proven.  It is reality.

This is what I cannot understand. It is clear from the trial that
microsoft personnel committed purjury but I hear nothing about
them being charged with anything. Is there any justice in the
USA?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 00:07:16 GMT

It, unfortunately, depends on how much money you have :(

Ever hear of a cat named O.J. Simpson?

claire

------------------------------

From: Mark McIntyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,alt.conspiracy.area51,comp.os.netware.misc,comp.protocols.tcp-ip,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 01:08:34 +0100

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000 02:01:41 -0400, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

<babbly>

GET THIS OUT OF COMP.LANG.C its utterly nontopical....

--
Mark McIntyre
C- FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

------------------------------

From: "Hung" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Convince me to run Linux?
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 08:18:58 +0800

If Win ME satisfies your needs, stick with it. Only you yourself can
convince yourself whether you nee Linux. We are not Linux salesman here. Heh
heh.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "David T. Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 17:22:38 -0400

You continue to repeat the same arguments which futilely attempt to
characterize my replies to your personal attacks and name-calling as

------------------------------

From: Daniel Tryba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 14 Oct 2000 00:19:51 GMT

Linux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I really do want to run Linux but I can't find any viable reason to
> switch from Windows ME to Linux?
[snip Dells preload stuff]
> Why should I switch to Linux?

Why do you really want to run Linux if you don't have any reason to
switch?

[Should I order a Dell preloaded with Linux?]
> What viable reasons are there for going with Linux?

-You like the Linux like OpenSource stuff.
-You like to tinker with your machine.
-You disklike an(y) other OS.
-The programs you can't live without only run on Linux.
-Stability
-Remote Administration
-hundreths of other reasons.

Just use the OS that fullfills your needs and makes you happy, for many
that a version of MS Windows, for others it is a unixlike OS. Why not
try both by making your system a dualboot one?

--

Daniel Tryba

From: "David T. Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 17:23:00 -0400