Linux-Advocacy Digest #641, Volume #34           Sun, 20 May 01 07:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Dell Meets Estimates ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Dell Meets Estimates ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Dell Meets Estimates ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) (Mig)
  Re: Dell Meets Estimates ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Mandrake 8 sets the standard - for Desktop users anyway. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! (Rick)
  Re: Mandrake 8 sets the standard - for Desktop users anyway. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! (Rick)
  Re: Advice needed. ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Mandrake 8 sets the standard - for Desktop users anyway. (Roy Culley)
  Re: Mandrake 8 sets the standard - for Desktop users anyway. (Roy Culley)
  Re: Mandrake 8 sets the standard - for Desktop users anyway. (Roy Culley)
  Re: Mandrake 8 sets the standard - for Desktop users anyway. ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: EXTRA EXTRA MS ADMITS!!!! ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Mandrake 8 sets the standard - for Desktop users anyway. ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Mandrake 8 sets the standard - for Desktop users anyway. ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: How would you port this? (from RTOS to Linux) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux Mandrake Sucks!!!! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Rather humorous posting on news.com commentry forum: ("Matthew Gardiner")
  Re: Rather humorous posting on news.com commentry forum: ("Matthew Gardiner")

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 22:13:44 +1200

> > wow - impressive - NOT
>
> For a swede you aren't too bright!  Were you a victim of an avalance?!
No the constant political correctness rubbish that gets churned around their
parliament is screwing their nation and its people.

Mattthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: Dell Meets Estimates
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 22:17:36 +1200

> SAP is excellent:
>
> a..
>   1.. In SAP Sales & Distribution and Retail Benchmark performance tests:
>   2.. A 32-way Unisys ES7000 running the SAP Sales and Distribution
> benchmark achieved 18,500 SD users. This compares to the best Sun result
of
> 23,000 SD users on a 64-way E10000. The Sun E10000 is at the end of its
> product life, while Unisys expects to further enhance the ES7000 with 900
> MHz processors in the very near future.
>   a.. In the SAP Retail Benchmark, the best Windows 2000 and SQL Server
> solution scored 3,165,000 transactions per hour while the best Sun
solution
> scored only 2,412,000 transactions per hour.
>   b.. Over half of new SAP sales are on Windows-based systems. Over
> one-third of existing SAP sites run on Windows platforms. SAP has over
> 10,000 customers running on Windows platforms. (Source: SAP)
>
> Of course, W2K owns SAP too...

1. You have also failed to include the new Ultra Sparc III.
2. W2K doesn't own SAP
3. People choose quality over quantity, hence the reason why SUN NZ grew 40%
last year.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 22:20:19 +1200

"cjt & trefoil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Jon Johansan wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> >   2.. A 32-way Unisys ES7000 running the SAP Sales and Distribution
> > benchmark achieved 18,500 SD users. This compares to the best Sun result
of
> > 23,000 SD users on a 64-way E10000. The Sun E10000 is at the end of its
> > product life, while Unisys expects to further enhance the ES7000 with
900
> > MHz processors in the very near future.
> <snip>
>
> Bingo.  The successor to the E10000 will be along soon, and I expect it to
> outperform the machine it replaces.  So what was your point?

Unlike the Wintel world, SUN does extensive testing of their big irons, to
ensure they are built like a brick shit house.  The successor to the E10000,
aka, Sunfire, will have the Ultra Sparc III CPU.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 22:23:39 +1200

"Boris Dynin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:YNIN6.173042$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Bingo.  The successor to the E10000 will be along soon, and I expect it
> > outperform the machine it replaces.  So what was your point?
> We'll have to wait to see. As Sun increases speed of its CPUs, E10000
> interconnect switches could become a bottleneck. I must add that I read
> posts on comp.sys.dec that E10000 design was derived from Cray designs
which
> had been sold to Sun by SGI by mistake. The point is: it's not obvious
that
> there will be a potent successor to E10000 by Sun.
>
> Boris

Depends on whether SUN moves from SMP to NUMA, as SGI has already, such as
the Origin server range /w IRIX.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: Mig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 12:24:26 +0200

GreyCloud wrote:

> I think the SETI program is a farce! No offense to you, but I often
> wonder what good does it do them?  Radio waves travel a little slower
> than the speed of light.  And if the radio waves are coming from many
> million light years away I'd say it was very old news we would be
> receiving.  But I doubt they will get anything from it as they advertise
> they are looking for.  All I know is that the end user gets a block of
> data to crunch... do we really know what this data is?  Could it be
> entirely something else?

Wow... thats new to me. Here en Europe all electromagnetic waves travel at
the same speed in the same medium..Didnt knew there was a difference on the
other side of the Atlantic
Who cares  if the news are mio. of years old. The purpose is to detect life
elsewhere.

Cheers

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 22:26:02 +1200

> Sy you're saying that a brand new produch being hammered by a nearly
> decomissioned product is a *good* thing? Man you have wierd logic.
>
> -Ed
>
> PS And how good do you think the sucessor to the E10000 will be?

Just tried the Sun Blade 1000 w/ the same processors as the sucessor to
E10000 will have, that is, the Ultra Sparc III.  It is responsive, fast,
great graphics, very, very, very, very, very stable. In terms of server
performance, it will take the wintel empire to the cleaners.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 12:35:39 +0100

>> Newtonian physics applies to mid-size objects, and even then it fail
>> (Mars, anyone?) sometimes. For the very large, you need relativety, for
>> the very small, you need quantom mechanics. To understand why light
>> move slower than C on a medium, you need to understand the very small.

Can't find the OP, so I'll reply here.

You don't need quantum mechanics to show that light goes slower in a
non-vacuum, all you need are Maxwell's Equations which were developed
long before quantum mechanics.

I'm not sure exactly how at the moment, but I'll know within 3 weeks
since I have an exam on the subject.

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s{15
}d f/t{240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage}d pop t

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Mandrake 8 sets the standard - for Desktop users anyway.
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 11:40:09 +0100

Brad Sims wrote:

> Around three month ago, Win98 decided to eat it's TCP/IP stack.
> Ok I said I will just release the IP address and it will pull a
> new one and a way it would go.... WRONG. It wouldn't let me do
> that because it couldn't read the stack. In other words I can't
> fix it because it is broken, WTF.
>
> I deleted the bindings on the network card,(reboot) reenstalled
> the bindings (reboot) ...still nothing.
>
> I renstalled the drivers (reboot) ...guess what still nothing.
>
> I deleted the card from Device Mangler. (reboot), (it made me
> physically remove the card, reboot, put the card BACK IN,
> reboot, before PnP would set up the card) ..reenstalled the
> drivers... (reboot). It still had my settings as they were
> buried someware in the Registry. So it finally worked again
> after 50 minutes and 7 reboots
>
> Meanwhile I could boot Linux and get online just fine. Just goes
> to show how "stable" win98 is.
> --
> I sense much distrust in you. Distrust leads to cynicism,
> cynicism leads to bitterness, bitterness leads to the
> Awareness of True Reality which is refered to by
> those-who-lack-enlightenment as "paranoia" I approve.

Similar experience recently, except it was a quicker fix:
1:delete the bindings and remove the tcp/ip protocol
2:reboot
3:reinstall the protocol
4:reboot
5:sort out the bindings
6:reboot

Then the same thing happens to a friend's WinME box.  Fine, I think,
I'll do the same thing.  After the final reboot I test it by pinging a
host I knew would be up (it runs Solaris, and I don't recall it ever
having unscheduled downtime).  Ping works fine.  OK, so lets get some
mail down and .....NOTHING.  WTF?  Ended up having to stick 98 on the
damn thing.
--
http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 06:40:59 -0400

JSPL wrote:

> T. Max Devlin wrote:
>
> > Said "JS PL" <hi everybody!> in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 19 May
> >>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >>[...deletia...]
> >>
> >>Just so you know, I stopped reading at "because".
> >
> > Why?  Don't you know what the word means?
> >

> tee hee

giggling like a child again?
--
Rick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 11:44:07 +0100

Brad Sims wrote:

> In ashen ink, the dread hand of Pete Goodwin wrote:
>
> > >Ah yes, I love the documentation in SuSE 7.1, the stuff
> written
> > in German in an English book...
>
> /me pulls out the 63 page Quick Install Manual... nope, English
> /me pulls out the 106 page Applications book... English
> /me looks at the 261 page Configuration book... English
>
> Well that covers the Personal edition, lets look at the 581 page
> Handbook (easily the equal to Running Linux, by O'Reilly) SuSE
> adds to the Professional edition.... still English.
>
> Pete, do you ever get tired of being wrong?

I seem to recall that the SuSE 6.whatever-the-hell-I-installed had an
English book that contained the odd words of German (such as 'und' and
'ist')

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 06:44:20 -0400

JSPL wrote:

> T. Max Devlin wrote:
>
> > Said Daniel Johnson in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 19 May 2001
> >>"Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> That's what businesses do (surprise!!) They make sure everyone in their
> market uses their product. The one that succeed in this most basic of
> business goals is, believe it or not, called a SUCCESS!

micro$oft used predatory and anti-competitive actions to gain its
monopoly, and its uses those same means to keep it. They did not when
the market on merit. If they had.. THAT woould have been a business
success.

> >>You sure it isn't to deny consumers any alternative
> >>choices?
> >
> > Whatever pretend grammar mistake you had to make to pretend the point
> > wasn't made obviously requires some explanation if you expect anyone
> > else to repeat it, Daniel.
> >
> > In point of fact, people do not buy "what everybody else has", they buy
> > what is best for them.  Sometimes that is the same choice as others,
> > sometimes it is not.  Unless there is illegal monopolization going on
> > (and, yes, the fact that this happens alone is sufficient evidence for a
> > conviction), then everybody makes the same choice.
>
> Everyone making the same choice doesn't have anything to do with your
> supposed "monopoly" evidence. It is evidence of nothing. In point of fact -
> everyone DOES'NT choose MS. So your lame argument is already voided by the
> fact that there are choices and not everyone chooses Microsoft.

Count number of people using m$ window$ (w). Count people using
something else (e). You do the math.

> Get it?

It is obvious you either dont get it, or wont admit it.

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Advice needed.
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 22:45:07 +1200

> I need advise.
>
> I am using Microsoft Frontpage 2000, Access 2000 and Visual Basic 6 to
> manage databases and develop/manage multiple database driven websites.
I'm
> locked into the Microsoft world at work, but want to escape Microsoft for
> the sites I manage on my own from home.  These sites are for non-profit
> groups and frankly I can't afford to keep up with Microsoft's prices for
the
> web dev products.
>
> 1.  I want to try Linux but am bewildered by the different Linux
offerings.
> What Linux O.S. should I try?

Either SuSE 7.1 or Mandrake 8.0

> 2.  What web tool could replace my Frontpage, or is there anything like
> this?

IBM Websphere

> 3.  What database could replace my Microsoft Access 2000?

Corel Paradox for Linux

> 4.  What programming language would you recommend to replace Visual Basic?

Depends on what you want to do. There is kylix, qtbuilder and several
non-commercial, freebie versions out there as well.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 11:10:22 +0200

In article <NBzN6.7933$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Michael Vester wrote:
>
>> Linux advocates have known this for a long time.
>
> Must be a very well kept secret then, if it only works for Linux advocates.
>

>>> When I installed my SuSE 7.1 box ; it automatically set up X, my
>>> network card, my soundcard, and my printer.
>>>
>> Exactly the same experience I had with Suse.  And you don't have to endure
>> the reboot everytime losedos detects yet another componenet. Try swapping
>> motherboards with losedos. I went through 22 reboots and 3 BSODs with NT.
>> Just the motherboard was changed. Same video card, network card, hard disk
>> controller and sound card.
>
> I changed my motherboard recently, and swapped sound card. Windows had to
> reboot about four or six times (your '22' seems laughable). Linux had no
> propblems - except it left the old setup for the old sound card and I had
> to manually intervene to fix it. The installation/detection stuff still has
> a way to go.

So you reinstalled windows from scratch hence the smaller number of reboot.

--
Over 100 security bugs in Microsoft SW last year. An infamous
record. The worst offending piece of SW, by far, IIS. 2001 isn't

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 11:31:56 +0200

In article <PwDN6.11338$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Brad Sims <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> In ashen ink, the dread hand of Pete Goodwin wrote:
>
>> >Ah yes, I love the documentation in SuSE 7.1, the stuff
> written
>> in German in an English book...
>
> /me pulls out the 63 page Quick Install Manual... nope, English
> /me pulls out the 106 page Applications book... English
> /me looks at the 261 page Configuration book... English
>
> Well that covers the Personal edition, lets look at the 581 page
> Handbook (easily the equal to Running Linux, by O'Reilly) SuSE
> adds to the Professional edition.... still English.
>
> Pete, do you ever get tired of being wrong?

He's talking about the few words in the English manuals that are
still in German. They are few and far between. Just more of Pete's
trolling.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Culley)
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 11:30:20 +0200

In article <AzzN6.7913$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Brad Sims wrote:
>
>> Of course it all worked out of the box it's linux ( ie: not
>> written by the retarded spidermonkeys on crack, that Micky$oft
>> hires).
>
> It didn't work for me.

You seem to have problems no matter what Linux distribution you try.
As others don't have these problems you either have a strange PC
configuration or you keep making mistakes. You don't try and get
help but only complain con c.o.l.a.

>> When I installed my SuSE 7.1 box ; it automatically set up X, my
>> network card, my soundcard, and my printer.
>
> SuSE 7.1 had a go at setting up my two network cards and DHCP but badly
> failed.

Again you seem to be the exception. When I recently got a cable modem I
thought I would need to learn a bit about dhcp. I installed a second
nic in my PC and did 'apt-get install pump'. It asked me what interface
I wanted to be configured for dhcp (it actually gave me a list of one
interface as the other was already in use). I accepted the default, eth1,
and voila the interface was brought. My resolv.conf was configured for
my ISP's name servers. As I now had a dual homed host I had to set up
routing to my company network over the isdn router connected to eth0.
If you have a multi-homed system then you will always need to setup
routing as there is no way the OS can know which addresses to route
where except for the subnets your nic's are connected. Again with
Debian this is trivial using the /etc/network/interfaces file and a
little reading of its man page. You obviously don't want to learn and
hence suffer so many, apparently self induced, problems.

>> I love the extensive written documentation, and the _VAST_
>> amount of helpfiles available.
>
> Ah yes, I love the documentation in SuSE 7.1, the stuff written in German
> in an English book...

I used SuSE since 5.0 through 6.2. Yes there were always a few parts
where German words hadn't been translated but considering the size of
the manual they are very few and far between. I doubt that any other
Linux distro and certainly no Microsoft one comes with such an
excellent and comprehensive hard copy user manual.

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 22:52:35 +1200

> Similar experience recently, except it was a quicker fix:
> 1:delete the bindings and remove the tcp/ip protocol
> 2:reboot
> 3:reinstall the protocol
> 4:reboot
> 5:sort out the bindings
> 6:reboot
>
> Then the same thing happens to a friend's WinME box.  Fine, I think,
> I'll do the same thing.  After the final reboot I test it by pinging a
> host I knew would be up (it runs Solaris, and I don't recall it ever
> having unscheduled downtime).  Ping works fine.  OK, so lets get some
> mail down and .....NOTHING.  WTF?  Ended up having to stick 98 on the
> damn thing.
> --
Windows 95a used to BSOD everytime I connected to the net. Deleted the
TCP/IP, rebooted, reconfigure, BSOD again, repeat, delete dll files, reboot,
re-install.  I then gave up and installed Linux.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: EXTRA EXTRA MS ADMITS!!!!
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 05:56:30 -0500

"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> You might also notice that both EF and MG are not disputing
> that HP-9000 is currently using an Intel chip.

HP-9000 is running under an HP chip, the PA-RISC, not an Intel chip.

> If Intel makes a risc chip then why are they badmouthing
> RISC all over the Itanium link?  They really trashed it
> bad.

They've made several RISC chips.

> When you start talking about 64 bit processors from Intel
> you get people refering to 3 seperate family lines from
> Intel.  All of these lines came from the IA-64 idea.

And thus the I in IA.

> I just simply don't seem to understand why it is
> EF and MG keep hollering it's a RISC chip from
> the WEB site at HP and yet Intel claims they've
> never made a RISC chip and that RISC CHIPS are
> garbage?

I don't know if PA-RISC is still a risc chip or not (despite it's name), I'm
simply saying that the HP-9000 uses PA-RISC, not IA64.

Further, Intel has made RISC chips, they made both the i860 and i960 RISC
chips.

> These two ideas here don't JIVE.  Then there's
> this issue of instructions set compatibility
> as the instruction sets are the same....

Instruction set compatibility is not the same thing.  PA-RISC, probably
emulates IA64 instructions in microcode, but an instruction set doth not an
EPIC processor make.  There's a big difference between it's instruction set
and it's architecture.

> To my knowledge, Motorola and IBM were the only
> ones to do the RISC business.   They were the
> ones who started it, not Intel.

Your knowledge is completely off.  The first RISC chip was indeed the IBM
801, followed later by the RISC I.  However, many companies, including SGI,
Sun, Motorolla, DEC, etc.. produced RISC chips.  Including Intel.  Then
there were RISC chips like the ARM and StrongARM (which are now owned by
Intel, but weren't before)

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 22:57:05 +1200

> In the past, I have managed a few VMS systems. I no longer do so because
> I no longer work for Digital and buying a machine for home use is (i)
> ridiculous and (ii) too expensive.

Agree.  Esp. paying the nice  17% VAT on everything left, right and
occasionally, centre.

> I've no idea why you would think I managed VMS very poorly.

I think he means that your claims that you admin'ed VMS servers are very
poor, he wasn't actually attacking your skills.

> As for any talented IT pro installing Linux with ease, I work with a few
> Doctors and guys more intelligent than I am, you should the cursing they
> indulge in when using Linux!

I knew a person, who is now at medical school, who know's diddly squat about
music, art, computers, economics (fields I am capable in).  However, what
must be said is that everyone has a skill, and not all people are suited to
occupation [x].

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 22:58:10 +1200

> > Pete, do you ever get tired of being wrong?
>
> No, I'm not knowingly wrong, but I do make mistakes. I'll see if I can
> dig up the page where I saw the German text in the english manual.
>
> How long did you take to read all those pages?

Just checked, yes, there is the occasional screen shot in German, but apart
from that, everything is in English.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How would you port this? (from RTOS to Linux)
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 12:03:59 +0100

Bill wrote:

>     I am new to the GNU/Linux world.  I have a general system design
> question.  I am porting some existing software written for a Real Time
> OS to GNU/Linux.  I will give a brief description of my current system,
> hopefully you can give me some design ideas for a GNU/Linux port.
>     I have a master program that reads several configuration files.
> These files detail what tasks must started, both sequenced and event
> driven.  These tasks handle such things as network I/O, event handling &
>
> logging, system monitoring, subsystem I/O, a text based user interface
> console, and many other algorithms/tasks that interpret input from
> external subsystems and make corresponding requests to these
> subsystems.  The master program creates all of these tasks and provides
> an API for all of these other executable modules to run in.  The master
> program also provides a round robin scheduler for sequenced tasks.  This
>
> architecture has one interface to the user; from the console I am able
> to determine the status of every task that is running, and
> enable/disable run time debugging.  The modular design of my system
> allows components to be added and removed from the system by changing a
> configuration file only, there is no need to change source code and
> rebuild.
>     The RTOS I am using provides a great API, semaphores, mailboxes,
> shared memory, processes, and threads.
>     I would prefer to emulate the same architecture in GNU/Linux, as
> compared to running all of these tasks independently.
>     What kind of experiences have you had with this type of
> architecture?  Do you recommend any other type of design?
>
> Thanks for any comments and experience you can provide,
> ----Bill Rooney

I can't answer your question, nor tell you where best to post this.
What I can say is this really isn't the place for sensible discussion

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux Mandrake Sucks!!!!
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 12:05:26 +0100

wendy wrote:

> I tried to install Mandrake 8.0 on my Athlon based system and it
> virtually destroyed all of my data.
>
> It overwrote my Bootmagic bootloader with some "grubby" thing and
> rendered my win 2000 partition useless.
>
> I lugged the entire system to CompUSA where I bought it and they got
> it back for me thank goodness without any data loss.
>
> They also told me that they get many customers in there who try to
> install Linux and it trashes their systems....
>
> What a piece of crap this Linux garbage is...
>
> And before you tell me everything I have done wrong I told Linux to
> install on the Linux drive, not the mbr. It still put that grubby
> thing in there.
>
> Good name for a linux program..
>
> wendy

May I reccommend in future, before you start RTFM!

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rather humorous posting on news.com commentry forum:
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 23:02:27 +1200

--
I am the blue screen of death,
no body can hear your screams
"Pete Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <9e5gcf$7i4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
> > Need I show you the damage the trade unions did to New Zealand's
economy,
> > and there links, prior to the cold war, with the Comintern, aka,
Communist
> > International, lead by the Soviet Union, (1918 is was the Russian
> > Federation).
>
> I repeat Trade Union != Communism. That communists may be in Trade Unions
> is a different matter.

True.  However, it also depends from country to country. btw, any comments
for the previous, previous post?

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 23:05:04 +1200

> > Not many, but probably more then you think.  They have a lot of
sub-$1000
> > machines now that are pretty impressive.  Unfortunately, most consumers
can't
> > see beyond raw MHz and have no clue that a 600MHz UltraSPARC (or even a
750MHz
> > P4 in a MAC) is going to be faster then a 1GHz x86 chip.
>
> How much does one of these Sun boxes cost? £500? Screen as well?

£500 = $NZ1500, which is impossible for a computer to cost that amount, even
without GST!  Most NZ'ders are more than happy to pay $NZ2,500 to $NZ3,500
for a good quality computer.

Matthew Gardiner