Linux-Advocacy Digest #683, Volume #29           Mon, 16 Oct 00 02:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Why is MS copying Sun??? (Darin Johnson)
  Re: David T. Johnson lies again (Jeff Glatt)
  Re: Why is MS copying Sun??? (neJ)
  Re: David T. Johnson lies again (Marty)
  Re: 75E48FC8 Visio for Linux (Terry Porter)
  Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux? (Terry Porter)
  Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux? (Jerry L Kreps)
  Re: Why the Linonuts fear me ("ostracus")
  Re: Linux Sucks (sfcybear)
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (Loren Petrich)
  Re: Linux Sucks (.)
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) (Loren
Petrich)
  Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux? (Brian Moore)
  Re: Why is MS copying Sun??? (Mike Byrns)
  Re: Why is MS copying Sun??? (T. Max Devlin)
  Re: Astroturfing (Perry Pip)
  Re: Linux Sucks (Terry Porter)

Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
From: Darin Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 04:09:27 GMT

Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In fact, Gallup has shown that most Americans are against the DoJ
> position by an overwhelming majority.  Reference:

Well, if US law was based on majority rule, you might have a point.
But it's not, and the constitution and laws of the US work to protect
the minority from the tyranny of the majority.

> They made that
> choice at home.  Forcing folks to use a Mac or Linux at work would hurt
> productivity and be less cost effective because of the learning curve and in
> most cases the lack of mature applications support.

Forcing a UNIX developer to use Windows would hurt productivity, yet
I've seen it happen (ie, they use X Server on top of Windows to get to
the dwindling supply of UNIX workstations).  I've seen computer
support services refuse to connect non Windows machines to a network,
even though one or more groups may be doing their work on other types
of machines.  And I've seen a someone dictate to a technical
documentation team that they must use Word for the 300+ page manuals,
but the writers revolted and eventually got their way (and went on
using more mature applications than Word).

People shouldn't necessarily be "forced" to use anything.  Few people
are ever forced to use UNIX or Macs; but many are forced to use
Windows.  Not always explicitly forced, but pressure may become
stronger and stronger over time to use something else - mail servers
get switched from open standards to MS Outlook, firewalls get changed
to require a Windows program to get through them, computer support
people that know something other than Windows start vanishing (to be
replaced by people that amazingly don't even know much about Windows).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Glatt)
Subject: Re: David T. Johnson lies again
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 04:23:17 GMT

>>> Brad Wardell is an OS/2 developer.  Marty Amodeo is an OS/2 developer.

>> Assuming for argument sake that they are active OS/2 developers,

>No need to assume in one case.

>>I have not harassed and denigrated them.

[Examples of David Johnson's harassment and denigration of active OS/2
developers deleted].

Marty, let me know wehn you get tired of Johnson's off-topic,
deliberately harassing empty threats. I've been preparing a complaint
to be filed with his ISP, should the need arise to do so, and you're
welcome to contribute directly to it. Johnson already attempted to
harass me by email. I saved evidence of his unsolicited, unwelcome
email to me, and told him that any repeat performance of that would
result in his ISP being contacted and such email delivered as evidence
of his email stalking. Not surprisingly, he hasn't had the nerve to
try emailing me back. (He likes to deliver empty threats in the
newsgroup, and thought that he could get away with blustering his
threats in an email as well. Not to clever, that one). I've already
detailed his off-topic posts, his harassment and denigration of
others, his ignorance of the newsgroup charter and violation of such
in his inept attempt at being the net-cop for COOA, his email
stalking, his threats against others, etc. But anyone who would like
to directly contribute more such evidence to the complaint is welcome
to contact me

------------------------------

From: neJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: 15 Oct 2000 23:35:14 -0500

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000 19:50:07 -0500, "Weevil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>If you really are one of the handful of people Microsoft pays to anonymously
>advocate for them,

I'd rather be one of those than one of Larry's "Sanitation Engineers".

------------------------------

From: Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 04:35:41 GMT

Jeff Glatt wrote:

> >> Assuming for argument sake that they are active OS/2 developers,
>
> >No need to assume in one case.
>
> >>I have not harassed and denigrated them.
>
> [Examples of David Johnson's harassment and denigration of active OS/2
> developers deleted].
>
> Marty, let me know wehn you get tired of Johnson's off-topic,
> deliberately harassing empty threats. I've been preparing a complaint
> to be filed with his ISP, should the need arise to do so, and you're
> welcome to contribute directly to it. Johnson already attempted to
> harass me by email. I saved evidence of his unsolicited, unwelcome
> email to me, and told him that any repeat performance of that would
> result in his ISP being contacted and such email delivered as evidence
> of his email stalking. Not surprisingly, he hasn't had the nerve to
> try emailing me back. (He likes to deliver empty threats in the
> newsgroup, and thought that he could get away with blustering his
> threats in an email as well. Not to clever, that one). I've already
> detailed his off-topic posts, his harassment and denigration of
> others, his ignorance of the newsgroup charter and violation of such
> in his inept attempt at being the net-cop for COOA, his email
> stalking, his threats against others, etc. But anyone who would like
> to directly contribute more such evidence to the complaint is welcome
> to contact me

I appreciate the gesture, but don't feel the need to take any proactive action
against Mr. Johnson at this time.  He hasn't convinced me that his case has
any merit, and until he does, I feel no need to defend myself.  Furthermore, I
feel that taking such an action against Mr. Johnson myself would go against
the points I have been making about him, namely his attempts to silence those
whose opinions he doesn't like.  I'm more than content to simply ignore his
meritless threats.

Sorry to hear that you've received unwanted e-mail from him and I'm glad he
hasn't tried the same with me.  I made my stance on that matter clear to him
when he accidentally (or so he claims) e-mailed me a copy of one of our posted
correspondences in this forum.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: 75E48FC8 Visio for Linux
Date: 16 Oct 2000 04:35:30 GMT

On Sun,15 Oct 2000 21:52:18+2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Announcing complete new universal drafting program for Linux, FreeBSD, and Sun
>Solaris.
>
>        LinuxCAD release for FreeBSD, a native FreeBSD build , not an emulation
>  This message posted in single instance and it is not a spam.
The previous 1000 messages spammed all over usenet dont count then ?

>Software Forge Inc.
>( developers of the most advanced application software for Linux OS ).
>   847 891 5971

Oh puleese! be so kind as to *uck off spammers!

This is a shameless spammer, with a dubious product!

Please see "Why I don't like linuxcad" page :

   http://www.zip.com.au/~erikd/lcad.html

Kind Regards
Terry
--
****                                                ****
   My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux, and has been

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux?
Date: 16 Oct 2000 04:50:48 GMT

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000 23:08:08 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Tell that to your boss when you hand in your report and it looks like
>crap, all because you used Linux and he, along with the rest of the
>world, is using Word.
>
>Maybe Linus will give you a job at Transmeta.
>
>claire

Oh your the patron saint of Wintrollism "Steve", good retort but no prize.

His boss is too busy trying to reboot his own Windows pc, try and hide the fact
its been corrupted by a virrus his wife gave him on her to do list, to worry
about the report.

The techs are all away on another expensive Ms course, trying to learn about
the latest "updates" to help him, hes sick to death of that Windows crap, and
the pavement 20 floors down looks cool and inviting ......

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: Jerry L Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 23:55:34 -0500

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Pretty good don't cut it.
>
>It sucks and is even more bloated than MSOffice.
>
>claire

In your opinion, of course.  Others, like myself, have a contrary view.
I find SO equal to or exceeding the power of MS Word.  With Bill's greed
reachig new bounds of impropriaty, more and more people may come to
apprecieate SO.  And, when the OpenOffice.org project gets rolling I expect we
will see nifty "unbloated" wp, spreadsheets, etc. from that group.

>On Sun, 15 Oct 2000 18:08:05 -0400, Larry Ebbitt
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>jazz wrote:
>>
>>> What is available for Linux? How about for Powerpoint and Excel?
>>
>>StarOffice is a pretty good Office clone.
I recently designed and created a table, data entry form, query, and and a
couple of reports.  Easy.  Nothing like that ability in MS unless you want to
add Access to the mix., but that is more bloat, extra bucks and a HUGE increase
in instability.

------------------------------

From: "ostracus" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why the Linonuts fear me
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 00:08:11 +0500

> If I were running a server I would agree.
>>You however, cannot make an intelligent assessment of what the pros and
>>cons of each are because you know nothing of Unix/Linux.
>
> I know plenty about Linux. Having used Corel, Caldera, RedHat, Mandrake
> TurboLinux and Slackware, All current versions I feel I am qualified to
> comment.
<snip>

Hmm... What about Debian, or Storm?

------------------------------

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Sucks
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 05:02:21 GMT

> On Wed, 11 Oct 2000 19:19:21 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Grega
> Bremec) wrote:
>
> >...and [EMAIL PROTECTED] used the keyboard:
> >>No...wasting my time responding to your twisted rhetoric gives me a
> >>headache.
> >
> >However twisted Jedi might seem occasionally, there usually is a very
> >good reason to introduce that twistedness. A common response to that
> >kind of content would be thinking about it in a rather depth. <hint>
>
> I prefer a direct rebuttal to a statement. For example "Linux needs
> applications that average Joe uses, and at a quality a feature set at
> least as good as Windows, in order for Linux to cut into MS desktop
> business. (This was my post)

No, Linux does NOT need applications as good as MS. It only need
applications that meet peoples needs at a significant reduction in cost.
I have the new KDE desktop running and I must say, the KDE office meets
my needs for FREE! why would I want to pay for MS Office to get
functionality that I do not need or would not use.

From: Loren Petrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 05:12:03 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Static66
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  I think that by your logic (misguided belief that anything in LIFE is
> "fair") you should be surrendering your possessions to the state. You
> would hate to "rich" while there are so many "suffering".

   Cry me a river.

> You think the government should be penalizing those who succeed. What
> have you done for the "poor". I'm just dying to know.

   Made software available for free, including its source code.

--
Loren Petrich
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 16 Oct 2000 05:12:12 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> If you knew anything about Linsux, you would know that offline news
> reading is about as scarce as a do-do bird.

Actually theres tons, and if you indeed did have a brain, youd be
able to find them as easily as the rest of us.

> Of course you can use nightmares like Leafnode and Slrnpull to do the
> job, but PAN traps on me daily.

Then youre doing it wrong.  Pan hasnt done anything weird on me since
the version before the current one.

> Agent is probobly the number one newsreader on the net.

And windows is the number one operating system.  You've agreed in
other threads that this does not make it the BEST operating system.

> Linux has nothing like it, although maybe in 2 years or so Pan may
> come close.

You dont know what youre talking about, as usual.

=====.

------------------------------

From: Loren Petrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 05:16:42 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jim Richardson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am a little confused as to what your response has to do wrt Mr "Earth in
> the Balance, but zinc mining profits in my checkbook balance" Gore.

   Typical yellow-dog Republicanism. Compared to Gore's zinc mine,
Bush's Texas air is far worse.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Moore)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 16 Oct 2000 01:18:41 -0400

jazz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Well, the problem is that everyone I work with uses word, so I have to
>give them documents in word. Even professional journals in my field prefer
>to receive articles in word attachments, though some still accept Latex.
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Jim

I have written articles with other people--them using Word and me using
StarOffice.  It worked pretty well.  Certainly having StarOffice
was a tremendous help for me, even with the few glitches.

The equations did not survive the transfer back and forth very well.
Thankfully, we only had a handful, so I waited till I prepared the
final version using Word and put them in then.

--

Brian G. Moore, School of Science, Penn State Erie--The Behrend College
[EMAIL PROTECTED] , (814)-898-6334

------------------------------

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 05:19:23 GMT

Weevil wrote:

> Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Darin Johnson wrote:

> > > Maybe it's the boss that made the choice?  Ie, the home user may have
> > > decided what to buy, but the office user is told what to use.
> >
> > The office user is told what to use.  He's told to use a system with an
> > interface that he's probably already familiar with.  One that works well
> for
> > almost everyone that uses a personal computer.  It's probably the only GUI
> > OS he will ever use and that does not seem to bother most bosses or most
> > people.  In fact, Gallup has shown that most Americans are against the DoJ
> > position by an overwhelming majority.  Reference:
> >
> > http://www.gallup.com/poll/indicators/indMicrosoft.asp
>
> In April, more people sided with the judge than MS (41% - 39%).  The
> pollsters changed the wording of the question subtly and in June, many more
> people sided with MS (55% - 34%).  A clear majority, but not really
> overwhelming.
>
> However, an overwhelming majority of people do have a favorable impression
> of Bill Gates (69% favorable, 16% unfavorable) and Microsoft (65% - 18%).
> Also, a clear majority oppose the breakup of Microsoft into two companies
> (54% - 34%).
>
> So people side with Microsoft in the DOJ case, have an extremely favorable
> impression of Bill Gates and Microsoft, and are strongly against the breakup
> of Microsoft.  And yet...when asked if the breakup of Microsoft would help
> or hurt <fill in the blank>, a clear majority believe it would help the
> economy (48% - 32%) , consumers (46% - 37%), and the computer industry
> (45% - 37%).  All this is from your link.
>
> Interesting stuff, huh?  According to the poll you cite, people believe that
> breaking up Microsoft would help the economy, consumers, and the computer
> industry.  But they're against it.  Why is that, Mike?  What does this tell
> us about this poll?  Does it tell us anything about Microsoft's PR machine?
>
> jwb

It tells us what people think.  Not what you think about it.  Joe on the street
thinks Linux is for nerds and will never use it.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 01:35:56 -0400

Said Simon Cooke in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>Max - just grow up. It's not just Microsoft that abides by the rules I laid
>out -- it's all software development that isn't 'free' in the Stallman sense
>of the word.
>
>Though I'm sure you can offset development costs. Let's see... if it costs
>Corel $15,000 to implement a converter for Word Perfect that takes
>AppleWorks files and converts them into WP native format, and only 3 people
>will buy it, they won't do it.
>
>Or they'll charge all 3 of the people who want it $5,000 a piece.
>
>Grow up, Max. This IS how the world works.

Funny, I could have sworn its only how your imagination works.  I'm
presuming that you made up these numbers, and the example.  Your grasp
of the simplistic principle of supply and demand is to be commended, but
such grade-school ideology does not prevent Microsoft from being
anti-competitive and guilty of federal crimes.

======USENET VIRUS=======COPY THE URL BELOW TO YOUR SIG==============

Sign the petition and keep Deja's archive alive!

http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
Subject: Re: Astroturfing
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 05:25:19 GMT

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 03:03:55 GMT,
Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Perry Pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:8sd786$1ur$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > There are no issues of stability with W2K. None. W2k is every bit as
>> stable
>> > as any other OS.
>>

>> ROFLOL!! In your wet dreams.
>
>Typical Linvocate reply. No substantiation, no reply, no claims, no
>nothing, just pure, unadulterated BS.

There's nothing for me to substantiate. Dristan made the claim that
W2k is as stable as "any other OS". I've had a machine running W2K for
seven months now. I've had two BSOD's running the Office2k
installer. I've had numerous hangs burning CD's. I have all the W2K
updates and adaptec patches installed. The machine is just fine under
Linux. Even MS's own controlled tests show Win2K is unstable, crashing
about once every 2893 hours.

>This guy wouldn't know stability if it bit him in the ass.

I've been using Solaris and IRIX for years. Haven't seen either one of
them crash. I also code for fault tolerant spacecraft avionics...and
no, we don't use windows.

>"No really, X crashing 6 times a day for no reason is still better
>than M$!" or something similar.

Haven't had X crash on me in at least of couple of years.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 16 Oct 2000 05:31:16 GMT

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 00:52:55 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>If you knew anything about Linsux, you would know that offline news
>reading is about as scarce as a do-do bird.
Then do-do birds must inhabit Australia "Steve", cause off-line news reading
has always been a piece of cake for me under Linux, plus I have other people
able to read the same news off this server, and we all have decent score files
under our newsreader, which is why ive been able to kill you so ealily
all these years :)

>Of course you can use nightmares like Leafnode and Slrnpull to do the
>job, but PAN traps on me daily.
"Claire" the Wintroll of COLA speaks .... PAN is ALPHA... you purposely
neglected to mentiontion newsreaders that are well proven, like the one
I'm using under X windows right now ... SLRN, and yes im using a mouse to
navigate the headers etc.

A wheel barrow is a nitemare to a man with no arms.

>Agent is probobly the number one newsreader on the net.
Doubtfull, its payware, FreeAgent probably is tho ?

>Linux has nothing like it, although maybe in 2 years or so Pan may
>come close.
Your FULL of it as usual "Claire" Linux has numerous newsreaders,
that offer features you have no clue about.

--
Kind Regards
Terry