From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.smb
Subject: Re: Win2000 SP2 breaks Samba 2.2 PDC?
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 16:08:05 +1200

"Chronos Tachyon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:FOkO6.885$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Recently, I upgraded all the workstations in the office to Win2K in an
> attempt to get some semblance of stability in place.  I've run Samba as a
> login server, and the release of Samba 2.2.0 coincided nicely with my
plan.
> For the last month, I've had Samba running as a PDC for my domain in a
(for
> Windows, at least) fairly smooth manner.
>
> However, earlier today I installed the recently released SP2 on one of the
> workstations.  The machine immediately had trouble with authenticating
> against the PDC, enumerating the domain users, etc.  I figured I would try
> to re-add the machine to the domain since maybe the upgrade threw some
> obscure authentication token out of whack.  I switched the machine to a
> workgroup member, did a "smbpasswd -m -x MACHINE; smbpasswd -m -a MACHINE"
> on the server, then tried to join the domain again.  After a pregnant
> pause, an error dialog popped up, saying something to the effect of
> "Operation failed: Remote procedure is out of range."  I tried a few more
> times, going so far as wiping out my existing domain completely and
> re-adding all my workstations, but the only machine that wouldn't re-join
> was the one with SP2.  I, stupidly, had elected not to save the
information
> required to undo the update.  I am currently reinstalling Win2K SP1 from
> scratch on the machine in question.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this kind of trouble?  Sounds like business as usual
> in Redmond.

When Samaba 2.2 was released, I thought to myself, "when is Microsoft going
to screw this effort of making Linux intergrate easily into a Windows
network", and what do you know, 2 months later, there you have it.  But of
course, MS will try to sugar coat the fact that they have just screwed
hundreds of customers by saying they "added features".

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux takes Hollywood by storm!
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 00:13:44 -0400

Peter Hayes wrote:

> On Fri, 18 May 2001 16:37:33 -0400, Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > The article I posted says that Maya has been converted to Linux which
> > means that even the modelling workstations the animators use are running
> > Linux, along with the render farm in the back office.   Houdini was also
> > ported to Linux as well a while back.

> Titanic is the classic example.

> > true but a lot of companies are now using Maya on Linux (instead of Maya
> > on NT) to model the movies and then use Linux again in the render farm.
> >
> > > Which is actually very common.  Lots of companies (including ILM) use
> > > NT workstations to run things like Lightwave and SoftImage.  But they also
> > > use macs, Linux, and IRIX, depending directly on circumstance and media.
>
> And I believe Softimage has been ported to Linux. It was demoed at New
> York's Linux World Expo running on a dual 1.2GHz AMD Athlon.
>
> And Microsoft once owned Softimage.
>
> There's also Houdini for Linux, plus Blender which is awesome considering
> it's free and runs on many platforms.
>

> > > -----.
> > >
> > > --
> > > "George Dubya Bush---the best presidency money can buy"
> >
> > maybe, but then again, George wasn't the one crying b/c he lost every
> > single recount. Even now after 2 additional recounts Bush still pulls
> > ahead......are u saying he is still paying liberal newspapers to put the
> > results in his favor? even after he already won? Bush won what counts,
> > the electoral votes. It has happened before that the President-elect
> > lost the popular vote but no one ever said *that* was illegitimate.
>
> Wasn't Kennedy elected under those circumstances?
>
> Anyway, if your brother was State Govenor, your campaign manager ran the
> count and your political allies had a majority on the Supreme Court
> wouldn't you expect to win?
>
> And let's not forget the fiddling of the voters roll in Democrat Counties.
>
> From this side of the Atlantic it looked pretty crooked, together with a
> daft voting system relying on people pushing buttons hard enough to punch
> holes in "chads".  It also seemed that the candidate the majority wanted
> was Bill Clinton, but constitutionally impossible.

Unfortunately, far TOO MANY people are allowed to vote in the United States.

Many are intellectually and psychologically incompetant, and due to the
ramifications to taxation, criminal law, and government spending, shouldn't
be allowed anywhere NEAR the election process.

Thomas Jefferson had the right idea...even those born IN the United States
should be forced to take the same tests which immigrants do before having
the privileges of citizenship.

> Peter

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Clustering OS of choice....
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 00:16:05 -0400

Charles Lyttle wrote:

> Charlie Ebert wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Linux Admin wrote:
> > >Cool info on size and speed of clusters.
> > >
> > >http://clusters.top500.org/db/Query.php3
> > >
> > >If you do a search showing OS, you'll find lots of examples of Linux!!!
> >
> > There is a specific reason you never see any large
> > Microsoft based super computer clusters.
> >
> > If you did, cluster would have a whole different meaning.
> >
> > --
> > Charlie
> > -------
> That sounds like a lead in to the one about the monkeys and the football

I think he was referring to cluster f***.

> --
> Russ Lyttle
> "World Domination through Penguin Power"
> The Universal Automotive Testset Project at
> <http://home.earthlink.net/~lyttlec>

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Things that annoy me in Mandrake Linux
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 00:17:44 -0400

Mig wrote:

> Its about time some real Linux issues are debated here. I'll start with a
> few lousy things my favorite Linux distro does wrong.
>
> 1) If you change the security settings to "high security" only root can
> play sound.
> Fix: chmod a+w /dev/dsp
>
> Now thats a stupid thing (or is it really??). Why is one not warned and has
> to waste long time on resolving this?
> We need a (G)UI  to configure all kinds of small things like this!
>
> 2) If you add "Cooker" packages in the rather excellent Software Manager,
> you will on some occasions risk upgrading some packages to "cooker version"
> even though the stable packages are located at the CD's. This off course
> even if the package you want to install is on the CD.
>
> Fix: Remove the cooker from the list
>
> Now thats silly. Thats sad for an excelent program that does a very fine
> job. They should improve on Sofware Manager as soon as possible and finish
> the week spots. Im sure there are many move
>
> Cheers
>
> Ohhh... another thing that annoys me. Why do not all Unix editors have RE
> support built-in. I would feel that that is a natural feature.

Because regular-expression handling is NOT an OS-level job.

DUH!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 16:18:22 +1200

> > But never pushed.  DirectX was a "suck in the developers, then when they
> > want to move, they can't because there is no DirectX for anyother
> platform"
> > plan.
>
> OpenGL is nice, but while it can compete with Direct3D, it doesn't compete
> with DirectX.

Thats the trade off, cross platform compatiibility, or tie yourself to one
platform.  Personally, I would use OpenGL as it leaves more doors open when
that particular OS gones down the toilet, or if, at a later date you are
interested in porting from Windows to Linux, it will be made easier.

> > Anyone can adopt it, as long as it to the Java charter, if it isn't,
they
> > can't call it Java.
>
> Anyone can adopt Win32 API, that doesn't make it an open standard.

Is that without getting a law suite, or having the code changed half way
through writting a Win32 API layer for Linux?

> > > Netscape? Standard? That isn't even funny as a joke.
> >
> > Ok, its the industry standard in that it is on more OS's that IE.
>
> Netscape is not open source, perhaps you are thinking Mozilla?
> IE 5.5 is the most standard compliment browser in the world, period.
> It replace IE5 at that position. Netscape was *never* in that position,
btw.

OpenStandards != Opensource

Openstandards, are standards that have been set down, such as LSB or POSIX
in which people can become compliant to. For example, UNIX 98 spec means, as
long as you program to those specs, porting to any UNIX, that is UNIX 98
compliant should be a breeze.

If Microsoft wants to earn the same respect as the likes of NCR, UNISYS or
Xerox, then maybe they should start porting IE to more than just Mac,
Windows and a few obscure UNIX's.

> > Why would you give the end user the root password for their machine? you
> > don't.  Maybe you should go back to school and learn the first rule of a
> > role out.
>
> Because a PC is *not* a dumb terminal. I can get root on any machine that
> I've physical access to within one to two hours. People more experiance in
> linux could do it in far less time, I suspect.
> NFS and SMB purposes are *different*, NFS is simply not applicable in
those
> situations.

Why not adopt X-Dumb terminals?

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A New Zealand Linux success story
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 00:20:40 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> http://idg.net.nz/webhome.nsf/UNID/C9D6A483EA4888F2CC256A49000CCA1D!opendocument

line-break in middle of URL removed.

Please set your line-length properly when posting long URL's.

> Although very brief, I am sure most people will get the message.
>
> Matthew Gardiner
>
> --
> I am the blue screen of death,
> no body can hear your screams

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 04:22:57 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Charles Lyttle wrote:
> >
> > Charlie Ebert wrote:

> > > There is a specific reason you never see any large
> > > Microsoft based super computer clusters.
> > >
> > > If you did, cluster would have a whole different meaning.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Charlie
> > > -------
> > That sounds like a lead in to the one about the monkeys and the football
>
> I think he was referring to cluster f***.

Thats what the monkeys were trying to do to the football, all right.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Who to install a .gz.tar file?
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 00:23:21 -0400

James Knott wrote:

> Mladen Gogala wrote:
> >
> > Voila! Mkisofs is installed into /usr/local/bin.
> > Make sure that you do not burn copyrighted music to your CDs as it is
> > bad for your soul and for the recording industry profits.
>
> FWIW, Canadians can now legally copy copyrighted music, for their own
> use.  The copyright owners get reimbersed through a levy the government
> slapped on blank CDs, audio cassettes etc.

Personal use copies of what you ALREADY OWN is FREE in the United States.
[that is, if you buy a CD, and make a tape, you are free to do so, as
long as you're not playing the CD and the tape simultaneously.

Always has been, and always will be

> --
> Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly ignored.
> To reply, replace everything to the left of "@" with "james.knott".

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 00:24:27 -0400

James Knott wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:

> > > FWIW, Canadians can now legally copy copyrighted music, for their own
> > > use.
> > >  The copyright owners get reimbersed through a levy the government
> > >  slapped
> > > on blank CDs, audio cassettes etc.
> >
> > That's appauling. People should not have to pay a levy for backups and
> > people should not pay a levy on data CDs.
>
> I agree.  And since I'm not the type to copy copyright material, I get
> charged for someone else's copying.
>
> That's government for you, though I understand it's far worse over in
> Germany, with taxes on things like photo copiers, fax machines,
> computers that can do multimedia etc.
>
> I wonder how much of that money actually gets to the artists?  It
> reminds me of the "tire tax" placed on new tires sold in Ontario. This
> tax was supposed to pay for proper disposal of used tires.  It's been in
> place for over 10 years, but as far as I can tell, not a nickle of it
> has been spent on proper tire disposal.  Then there are the gas taxes
> and licence fees, that far exceed what the government spends on roads.
> Yet they claim we have to have toll roads, because the government
> doesn't have the money to pay for them.  This after telling us for years
> that we had higher gas taxes, because we didn't have road tolls.

That's what you get for going full-bore socialist.

> --
> Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly ignored.
> To reply, replace everything to the left of "@" with "james.knott".

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.