From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux security?  It's been a busy week.
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 15:34:05 GMT

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000 12:16:21 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Paul Colquhoun) wrote:

>If Microsoft included all the windows versions of the software that most
>Linux versions include, you'd see a lot of these adviories with Microsoft's
>name on them as well.

Maybe that's why they don't include them?

claire

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 02:34:31 +1000
From: Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win 2k Rocks!!!!  Linux? It's days are numbered on my system.

[snip]

> > No living without a scanner because it is a parallel port model.
>
> Huh? You can use parallel port scanners in Linux!

Can't really back this point up, my most sincere apologies if I got it
wrong.

Chris

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 11:34:50 -0400

"Nik Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:HYfI5.23906$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Said Nik Simpson in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> > >
> > >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >ARPANET after

> > >Here's a clue Max, look up the dates for the first ARPANET nodes and
then
> > >look up the dates for the first implementation of UUCP.
> >
> > Here's something more than a clue, Nik: Dates aren't relevant to the
> > statement.
>
> When you state that "USENET predates APRANET, as well, or is at least
> contemporaneous." dates certainly are relevant. Since one started in the
> late 60's and being generous the other started in the late 70s it's hard
> see how you can make that statement, perhaps you'd care to explain it in
> more detail for the historically challenged.

And wait until AFTER the lithium kicks in to explain it.

------------------------------

From: "Jan Schaumann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is there a MS Word (or substitute) for Linux?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 11:38:17 +0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Praedor Tempus
>>main problem with it is that its output (lyx and latex) is not  accepted
>>by any of the scientific journals to which I could  conceivably publish.
>>They all accept word, wordperfect, wordstar,  pdf.  SOME accept simple
>>ascii text, which lyx/latex can handle,  but not a single one will
>>accept latex or lyx format documents.
>
> would pdftext be able to handle lyx output?  if not, how difficult would
> it be to make it?

You can export your document from inside of LyX into a variety of
formats: HTML, ASCII, PS, LaTEX etc.
Once you have a ps you can turn it into a pdf with ps2pdf (or other
tools, such as pstill).

Cheers,
-Jan

--