Linux-Advocacy Digest #847, Volume #29           Tue, 24 Oct 00 21:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: IBM to BUY MICROSOFT!!!! (Steve Mading)
  Re: Win 2k Rocks!!!!  Linux? It's days are numbered on my system.
  Re: Astroturfing ("Christopher Smith")
  Re: Astroturfing ("Christopher Smith")
  Re: Pros and Cons of MS Windows Dominated World? ("Weevil")
  Re: Win 2k Rocks!!!! Linux? It's days are numbered on my system.
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Win 2k Rocks!!!!  Linux? It's days are numbered on my system. (Steve Mading)
  Re: What I don't like about RedHat Linux. (Steve Mading)
  Re: Win 2k Rocks!!!!  Linux? It's days are numbered on my system. ("Bob B.")
  Re: Win 2k Rocks!!!!  Linux? It's days are numbered on my system. ("Bob B.")
  RE: Clearing things ("Idoia Sainz")
  Re: Ms employees begging for food (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: IBM to BUY MICROSOFT!!!! (Michael Marion)
  RE: Clearing things ("Idoia Sainz")
  Re: IBM to BUY MICROSOFT!!!! (Michael Marion)
  RE: Clearing things ("Idoia Sainz")
  Troll ("Idoia Sainz")
  Re: Run for the hills! (Michael Marion)
  Firewalling rules ("Idoia Sainz")
  Re: Linux growth rate explosion! (R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ))
  Re: What I don't like about RedHat Linux. (Michael Marion)
  RE: Microsoft Speaks German! ("Idoia Sainz")
  Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum (Charlie Ebert)

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM to BUY MICROSOFT!!!!
Date: 24 Oct 2000 23:02:21 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Chad Myers wrote:
:>
:> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
:> <SNIP: more ignorant childish Charlie Ebert ass-spewings>
:>
:> > I can't believe I'm jumping into this...must be feeling completely idiotic
:> > today, as I open myself up to attack.
:> >
:> > In all fairness to Chad, Linux does not detect RAM correctly on certain
:> > computers. For instance, the Thinkpad that I use...Linux will only detect
:> > the first 64MB.
:>
:> Certain? How about the majority.

Good luck backing up that sweeping generalization with facts.  Of the
11 machines I've put Linux on, 3 of them needed the mem=.... line to
see all the memory, and none of those occurrances were in the last 2
years - they were all older than that.  What can you do to convince me
that my experience here was abnormal?  I admit that it's possible, but
the burden of proof is yours.

:>
:> > Now, fixing that is not a bit deal...I add a line to lilo.conf that says:
:> >
:> > append = "mem=163264k"
:>
:> Note: If you get this wrong, KERNEL PANIC...

: If you don't know how much memory you have in a machine, then
: you're pretty fucked up, aren't you?

Especially when *all* the bios startup screens actually show you this
number as part of the hardware test sequence at boot time.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Win 2k Rocks!!!!  Linux? It's days are numbered on my system.
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 23:21:15 GMT

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000 15:11:15 -0700, Bob B. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I doubt Wine runs the current version of Quicken.
vmware will

>But here is a better word: Browser. There are no decent browsers for
>Linux. Unless you like tiny, pixelated fonts. Maybe when Gecko grows up
>the situation will change, but until there is a decent browser for
>Linux, it will remain out of the mainstream of computing.

If you weren't a moron, you'd be able to figure out how to install X fonts.

You and MS deserve each other, troll.

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Astroturfing
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 09:21:53 +1000

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:39f55081$1$yrgbherq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> >Well, you caught me.  I'm paid $10 billion dollars a day to be here.  Are
you
> >happy now?  Go away idiot.
>
> You're the idiot if you think that all of us are stupid enough to think
your
> constant cheerlead ing for M$ is done for some altruistic reason.  -- You
are
> either paid for it, or are suffering from some mental deficiency that
compels
> you to have vicarious relationship with bill gates and support him for
free.
> Which is it jackass?

You have a real weird idea of what "cheerleading" is.  Go and read some
Derek Currie posts - that's "cheerleading".

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 09:22:53 +1000

"Weevil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:rKnJ5.7745$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Drestin Black <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:39f4c32c$0$1089$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > What's even MORE amazing is that you know there are hundreds of millions
> of
> > users of MS products who are obviously not paid to use those products,
> > continue to use those products, continue to upgrade and use those
products
> > and you actually are stupid enough to imagine that MS would need to pay
> > anyone in some lightly trafficed advocacy newsgroup? The mind boggles at
> > what this implies of the rest of your capacity for stupidity might be...
> >

> Hey Drestin.  You never answered my question about how to get WinAnything
> recognize and use my entire hard drive.  I have an 8 gig drive, dual boot
> with Win98 and Linux, but Windows doesn't seem to be able to recognize the
5
> gigs Linux uses.  As you know, Linux seamlessly recognizes and uses any
part
> of the drive I wish to access, but I can't get Windows to do anything but
> think it's on a 3 gig drive.
>
> Why is that?  You never answered, you know.

More details needed.  Are you bitching because you can't mount the ext2
partitions in Windows or because windows itself only sees the drive as 3GB ?
What's it look like in fdisk ?

------------------------------

From: "Weevil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pros and Cons of MS Windows Dominated World?
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 18:31:06 -0500

Andrew J. Brehm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Are you familiar with game theory? It says that self-interest will
> ultimately NOT result in the best, but in the worst result for every
> individual.

It's not quite that simple, actually.

> The prisoner's dillema is one such situation, monopilzation is another.

The particular game you cite, Prisoner's Dilemma, is not one in which acting
in your own self interest will give you the worst result possible.  In fact,
self-interest will guarantee that you do *not* get the worst result.  Not
only that, but it is the only choice you can make that will give you a
chance of getting the best result.

I wrote a simulation of the Prisoner's Dilemma several years ago.  I
designed it as a client/server system, with the server being the game
engine, scorekeeper, etc., and the clients being programs that played
according to their own rule systems.  Each of the clients played each of the
others hundreds of times, and each client kept a history of how each of the
other clients had played them.  IIRC, the strategy that had the highest
score was one that cooperated in every game in the first round, and then
simply mimicked what each opponent did in their most recent match.  It was
pretty fun, really.  The strategy I thought would win -- betray every time
with every opponent -- actually finished in the middle of the pack
somewhere, I think.

Anyway, this game hinges on the fact that neither player knows what the
other will do.  In the real world, this may or may not be the case, and it's
certainly not always the case with monopolies.  In any case, I'm not sure
game theory in general can be accurately applied to situations as complex as
economic markets.  Far too many variables.

jwb

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 23:31:31 GMT

In article <00102418430101.01805@pc03>,
  Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> El mar, 24 oct 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:
> >On Tue, 24 Oct 2000 20:46:17 GMT, "Marc Bonanova" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >wrote:
> >

> >>   As a home desktop environment, Windows 2000 is even worse than
> >>Linux compared to Windows 98, and I can prove it to you whenever
> >>you want.
> >

> >One word:
> >
> >"Quicken"
>
> One word: Wine.

One URL:  http://www.linuxnews.com/stories.php?story=526

Intuit either does a port, or they become irrelavant.

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 24 Oct 2000 23:33:12 GMT

Bob B. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I doubt Wine runs the current version of Quicken.

: But here is a better word: Browser. There are no decent browsers for
: Linux. Unless you like tiny, pixelated fonts. Maybe when Gecko grows up
: the situation will change, but until there is a decent browser for
: Linux, it will remain out of the mainstream of computing.

I'm not so sure this is a browser problem.  It's a system font problem.
With better fonts, the browser automatically looks better.  The fonts
aren't the browser's doing.  (I'm not denying that Linux's proportional
fonts are ugly - I'm just saying that the situation isn't the browser's
fault.  Assessing blame to the right component of the system is crucial
to getting it fixed.  Netscape can't do a damn thing about the fonts, so
blaming them doesn't accomplish anything.)

On the other hand, Windows is missing good fixed-width fonts (where
pixelated fonts actually work better) which are handy for programming.

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What I don't like about RedHat Linux.
Date: 24 Oct 2000 23:36:07 GMT

Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: uhhh ... what's to stop you from dropping to a shell during install (before
: package installation but after partitioning) to make whatever symlinks you
: want?  I don't know of a linux install that doesn't let you do this ...

In the latest Redhat install, you go through all the questions *first*,
and then it starts doing the work after it finishes the questions - so
I'd have to hurry and type fast to do that.

------------------------------

From: "Bob B." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:57:59 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2000 15:11:15 -0700, Bob B. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I doubt Wine runs the current version of Quicken.
> vmware will
>

> >But here is a better word: Browser. There are no decent browsers for
> >Linux. Unless you like tiny, pixelated fonts. Maybe when Gecko grows up
> >the situation will change, but until there is a decent browser for
> >Linux, it will remain out of the mainstream of computing.
> >

> If you weren't a moron, you'd be able to figure out how to install X fonts.

Install all the fonts you want on Linux. Then bring up Netscape. Now
bring up Nescape on a Mac. Now tell me which you would rather look at
all day.

Do you see any irony in someone who calls himself
"TheCentralScrutinizer" calling other people a moron?

> You and MS deserve each other, troll.

Could you please remind me again which line of my post mentioned MS ?

Bob B.

------------------------------

From: "Bob B." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:05:10 -0700

Steve Mading wrote:

> Bob B. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : I doubt Wine runs the current version of Quicken.
>
> : But here is a better word: Browser. There are no decent browsers for
> : Linux. Unless you like tiny, pixelated fonts. Maybe when Gecko grows up
> : the situation will change, but until there is a decent browser for
> : Linux, it will remain out of the mainstream of computing.
>
> I'm not so sure this is a browser problem.  It's a system font problem.
> With better fonts, the browser automatically looks better.  The fonts
> aren't the browser's doing.  (I'm not denying that Linux's proportional
> fonts are ugly - I'm just saying that the situation isn't the browser's
> fault.  Assessing blame to the right component of the system is crucial
> to getting it fixed.  Netscape can't do a damn thing about the fonts, so
> blaming them doesn't accomplish anything.)

Yes, you are right, it is a system font problem. Netscape does make it
worse by having weird defaults of very small fonts. The defaults can be
corrected by the user, but having to do that is part of what makes a bad
first impression on new users. This is all true on Solaris also, but
Solaris makes no pretense of being desktop replacement for Windows.

<snip>

Bob B.

------------------------------

From: "Idoia Sainz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Clearing things
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:07:01 GMT

> You are a troll. Not because you point out possible weaknesses /
> shortcomings of linux programs, but  because of the totally unwarrented
> conclusion you draw. You assume that the "average" user wants  every
> single feature that you mention and won't be satisfied with anything less.

   What I am is difficult to say, and conclusions are personals, so it can't
be unwarrented since it is mine. I assume it and you don't, why should
any of us be in the truth ? Not every-every, just a few ones and another
few another ones, catch it ?

> I do much more with my linux computer than any of the "average" users you
> think would turn up their noses at kmail. I know exactly 1 (one!) windows
> user who even knows what newsgroups are, and he doesn't even read them.
> Your "average" user doesn't need, doesn't use, and isn't aware of many of
> the "advanced" features that windows software comes with. So please
> explain how the  lack of your "features" makes an entire operating system
> unfit for desktop use?

   Well, don't know where you do live, but here news are a extended thing
and a lot of people does use them. I guess they have not surely listened
talking about web servers, PHP and all of that much wonder Linux does
include.

> I could just as easily dismiss windows as unfit for the desktop because it
> doesn't  have multiple desktops, which I use everyday and cannot do
> without.

   It has, and I have used them ... just the tool does not come with the OS
itself. And I did not say "unfit for the desktop", just said "worse than
Windows nowadays" ... catch it now ?

> So I ask you, what does the "average" user need with a "multiaccount POP /
>  IMAP / SMTP mail GUI client with filters"? Or a "... GUI browser with
> off-line per-user capabilities"? And asking for activex was a joke, right?

   Well, at least in my country people use to have 3 or more POP/SMTP
accounts (some of them may be IMAP or web ones too) and like receiving
all of them in on program to different folders (filters), and sending them
each one from its user ... is it such as strange ? Off-line per-user is
something
I would like, given that wwwoffled lets all users to make use of the cache,
breaking the Linux security and user isolation I like in it; again, is it as
odd ?

> The sad thing is that instead of concluding that linux is not fit for the
> desktop, you  could have been constructive, (by pointing out areas where
> the programs you mentioned  need work). But you don't really care about
> any of this, you are here  for the sole purpose of being a troll.

   I pointed all of them just to let whoever to know what improvements I do
think are needed to make Linux a suitable desktop for my point of view, is
it as difficult to see ?

> If further evidence were necessary (which it ain't), there is the fact
> that you have not  responded to several posts, in this thread and others,
> which specifically addressed some of the issues under  discussion - which
> is the number one rule of trolling: "never answer the hard questions,
> ignore them and fling some filth elsewhere instead."

   Have you ever thought that I do not live for the news and that a lot of
other affairs can avoid me even using them by some days; obviously now
I am back and can answer some of them, believe it or not, it is your
choice.

> I wish I could say that you are a fine example of the Microsoft mindset in
> action,  but part of me fears that it is not unique to Microsoft.

   I wish you could meet me to talk about things you know and to let you
change your opinion. Don't know exactly "troll" definition, but concluding
things about me in such a way makes you at least ... not thoughtful one.

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.arch,comp.os.netware.misc
Subject: Re: Ms employees begging for food
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:10:17 GMT

JS/PL wrote:

> "Jim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Well said, way too many people are looking the other way when it comes to
> > Microsofts anti-customer anti-competition antic. I actually had a
> > conversation with someone today who said "well we don't even know if
> Novell
> > will be around"  WE DON"T KNOW IF MICROSOFT WILL BE AROUND in its current
> > state. Novell didn't lose a huge case to the US Gov.
>
> We know Microsoft will be around. It is a certainty. Worst case scenario is
> that they get split which has about a 1 in 1000 chance of happening in
> itself. But even if it does happen by some miracle, they'll still be here
> for a LONG LONG time.

Could we have this printed on some big piece of granite please?

Charlie

------------------------------

From: Michael Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:11:04 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> Sounds like a cop-out. Windows does it perfectly every time broken
> BIOS or not.

So if my BIOS only sees some of a drive and I tell the BIOS "none" for drive
type.. will windows magically not only see the drive but see it's entire size?

Linux will.  Linux can ignore the BIOS settings and probe the drives directly,
which gets one around BIOS errors regarding drives.

--
Mike Marion - Unix SysAdmin/Engineer, Qualcomm Inc. - http://www.miguelito.org
My BBS is baroque now.  Please call Bach later with your Handel.

------------------------------

From: "Idoia Sainz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:10:03 GMT

> >What you like is not the issue here. You claimed that Debian (and other
> >distros) were doing things to lock people into their version of linux.

   Did not say exactly that, more near that GNOME was bashing KDE.

> >Now you are saying that you "don't like" their old stance on KDE - which,
> >btw, was that kde was proprietary and therefore they wouldn't use it.

   KDE was not propietary, just QT (I know you know it since you're a KDE
developer), and even when QT was GPLed, Stallman said some wrong things
at least in my opinion.

> > This
> >shows debian going out of their way to *avoid* locking people into
> >proprietary standards. But you are trying to claim it as the opposite.
> Not even close, really. Or rather, not that, and not the opposite either.

   The opposite of avoid locking people into propietary is avoid people
getting out of GPL, what from my point of view is as dictatorship as the
another one, that's 'cause I talked about BSD licenses, really and fully
open from my point of view.

------------------------------

From: Michael Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:13:50 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> Certain? How about the majority.

That's crap.  I've installed linux on 5 different models (and 3 different
brands) of laptops, as well as on systems totalling about 20 different
motherboard brands/models/BIOS brands etc with >64Meg of RAM... and I have
_never_ run into that "sees 64Meg only" problem.  We're talking boxes with
P5s, PIIs, K6s, Athlons, etc.

--
Mike Marion - Unix SysAdmin/Engineer, Qualcomm Inc. - http://www.miguelito.org
..I'm sure that if I were wandering naked across the Serengeti Plain and

------------------------------

From: "Idoia Sainz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:13:42 GMT

> That's one of the most well thought out posts I've ever read!

   I does not speak as well English, but hope you like me too.

------------------------------

From: "Idoia Sainz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Troll
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:31:07 GMT

   What the Hell is a Troll ? I just can remember now some
of the Tolkien and mitology creatures, something to be ?

------------------------------

From: Michael Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Run for the hills!
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:34:53 GMT

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> Are you SURE you want to ask that question?? :-)
>
> Just to annoy TP even further (wecome back): it is reputed that Tivo runs
> a Linux OS underneath.  (For the uninitiated: Tivo is basically
> a next-generation VCR that uses a hard drive instead of magnetic tape,
> and has some other nice options, but requires a phone line to get
> the show descriptions or something.
>
> http://www.tivo.com
>
> should have the juicy details. :-) )

No rumor... fact.

Checkout www.tivofaq.com (and especially the hacking faq) for more info.

I hacked mine myself to up my 30 hour to 108hours. :)
http://miguelito.org/tivo has some screenshots I took after hacking it.

--
Mike Marion - Unix SysAdmin/Engineer, Qualcomm Inc. - http://www.miguelito.org
Of course, all mission critical synergistically enhanced corporate package

------------------------------

From: "Idoia Sainz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Firewalling rules
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:35:19 GMT

   /sbin/ipchains -A input -p GPL -j DENY -s 0.0.0.0/0 -d 0.0.0.0/0 -i
ANY -l
   /sbin/ipmasqadm portfw -a -P tcp -R GPL -D TRASH

   Just a little of humour, I do not doubt I will be greatly superated :-)

------------------------------

From: R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux growth rate explosion!
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:25:43 GMT

In article <8t31nh$902$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <39f4d388$0$1075$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Drestin Black" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > "R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8t2feb$qva$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > <snip>--
> > > Rex Ballard - I/T Architect, MIS Director
> > > Linux Advocate, Internet Pioneer
> > > http://www.open4success.com
> > > Linux - 60 million satisfied users worldwide
> > > and growing at over 9%/month! (recalibrated 10/23/00)
> >
> > Say - did you notice this from that site?
> >
> > http://counter.li.org/estimates.html
> >
> > This guy estimates 15 million linux users ... (and he doesn't
presume
> to be
> > psychic and determine if they are satisified or if they downloaded
it
> and
> > never finished installing it)
> >
> > Time to get recalibrated again...
>
> It also does not account for the users that have burned thier own CD's
> and installed Linux on MANY machines!

Correct.  It also doesn't include any licenses not shipped by the
original distributor.  This means that LinuxMall and CheapBytes
sample packs aren't counted.

Furthermore, it doesn't include any CD-ROMs included with books
(since these are not officially considered software units).

Essentially, if you put the CD in the back of a book and sell it at
walden's, it's a book, not a software license.  Conversely, if you
take the book, put it in a box, and put the CD in a separate envelope,
you now have licensed software.

Don't ask me how IDC makes up these rules, but they do.  Essentially,
they only call the major distributors and ask how many they know they
sold.  Everything else is just speculation.

It's important to point out that Bob Young's original estimate wasn't
entirely pulled "out of thin air".  Red Hat gave each user a cookie
and tracked how many cookies had been issued.  The number of cookies
was nearly 4 times the number of units sold by Red Hat.

Even today, Red Hat sells service contracts to users who call in or
email in for support.  Red Hat usually charges their credit card a
fee and sends them the latest version of their "official" software.

Of course, this means that our user can then pass the CD on to the
next recruit.

From: Michael Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:39:58 GMT

Steve Mading wrote:

> In the latest Redhat install, you go through all the questions *first*,
> and then it starts doing the work after it finishes the questions - so
> I'd have to hurry and type fast to do that.

Try Alt-Ctl-F2 (or F3, F4, etc) next time.

--
Mike Marion - Unix SysAdmin/Engineer, Qualcomm Inc. - http://www.miguelito.org
"The day that Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day that they

------------------------------

From: "Idoia Sainz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Microsoft Speaks German!
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:38:43 GMT

   Very funny and indeed true, until the Standar Linux Base
is ready, configuring a SuSE is different enough from doing
it with a Redhat to let the ad be true, even when not too good
for me.

------------------------------

From: Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:44:37 GMT

Gardiner Family wrote:

> The argument is that when the original time was set they were over ambicious,
> however, I say, its ready when it is ready, Linux developers want this version
> of the Linux Kernel to be as stable as possible, not like microsoft that shifts
> half baked products to the market place and then crys foul when a bug is found.
>
> Matt
>
> Drestin Black wrote:
>
> > http://www.wininformant.com/display.asp?ID=2944
> >
> > Making a modern operating system isn't that easy after all: Linux creator
> > Linus Torvalds announced the third major delay in the release of the next
> > Linux kernel last week, placing the release of Linux 2.4 in late 2000 or
> > early 2001 at the earliest. The Linux 2.4 kernel, which was original due to
> > ship in October 1999, has now been in the works for almost two years
> >
> > ...Linux is a different beast altogether, and proponents have argued that
> > the open source development model is superior to the closed, monolithic
> > models used by Apple and Microsoft. But the public failure of both Linux and
> > Netscape, with its Mozilla/Netscape 6 project, to deliver upgrades on
> > schedule is now casting doubts on the entire open source process.
> >
> > "...But today, Linux is not very useful beyond simple Web, mail, and DNS
> > services on small Intel-based servers, she says. Linux is "not for database
> > servers or online transaction processing. The independent software vendor
> > support [is not there]"
> >
> > <yawn>

Here we go again with another wininformant article.

What good is it to post articles from an agency which has
been proven to be 100% anti-Linux?

They've never had a good article on Linux because they
are the wininformant folks.

Charlie