From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Chad Meyers: Blatent liar
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 03:43:53 GMT

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000 09:37:51 -0800, Bruce Schuck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I've proven that the OpenBSD group thinks Linux is hopelessly riddled with
>exploits and that OpenBSD is at least 6 months ahead of Linux in security.

If you knew anything at all about OpenBSD you would know that they
think that pretty much _all_ software is riddled with exploits.

>I was arguing that so many exploits that allow root access are functionally
>trojans.

Yes, we heard you, and you are wrong.  A trojan is a specific thing,
not a generic term.

>> Prove that MS has less.
>
>They do.

Oh, really?  I guess that's why NT leads the web site defacement list
at attrition.org.

At <http://www.securityfocus.com/> on the "Microsoft" tab we get this
week's hot ones:

        Microsoft Windows 2000 ActiveX
        Control Buffer Overflow Vulnerability

        Microsoft Indexing Services for
        Windows 2000 .htw Cross-Site Scripting
        Vulnerability

        Microsoft Network Monitor Multiple
        Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities

        Microsoft Exchange Server Invalid
        MIME Header charset = "'"'""'"'" DoS
        Vulnerability

If we drill down to "NT Vulnerabilities" we get a much bigger list.
I count roughly 630 in the last three years as a matter of fact.  Many
of these are in third-party apps, but then you're counting everything
that's included in Red Hat so including the equivalent third-party
stuff for NT seems fair.  Note the ones with "buffer overflow".  Those
are the ones to use to install Back Orifice or get Administrator.

Note that this list only includes a few IIS and Exchange holes, as
there are separate lists for those, each of which also has hundreds of
entries.

But just for fun let's not count third parties and let's not count
claimed vulnerabilities reported by third parties, let's just count the
ones MS has admitted to and has issued patches for.  And let's only
count this year, since this post is already long enough. Looks like
there are 85 of those.  Here they are, for your enjoyment.  You can
look them up via the above URL or at <http://www.microsoft.com/security/>.
So, you see, even MS knows that they have security flaws just like
everybody else.

MS00-085
          Patch Available for "ActiveX Parameter Validation" Vulnerability
          Published: Nov 02, 2000 - Updated: Nov 02, 2000

 MS00-084
          Patch Available for "Indexing Services Cross Site Scripting"
          Vulnerability
          Published: Nov 02, 2000 - Updated: Nov 02, 2000

 MS00-083
          Patch Available for "Netmon Protocol Parsing" Vulnerability
          Published: Nov 01, 2000 - Updated: Nov 01, 2000

 MS00-082
          Patch Available for "Malformed MIME Header" Vulnerability
          Published: Oct 31, 2000 - Updated: Oct 31, 2000

 MS00-081
          Patch Available for New Variant of "VM File Reading" Vulnerability
          Published: Oct 25, 2000 - Updated: Oct 25, 2000

 MS00-080
          Patch Available for "Session ID Cookie Marking" Vulnerability
          Published: Oct 23, 2000 - Updated: Oct 23, 2000

 MS00-079
          Patch Available for "HyperTerminal Buffer Overflow" Vulnerability
          Published: Oct 18, 2000 - Updated: Oct 18, 2000

 MS00-078
          Patch Available for "Web Server Folder Traversal" Vulnerability
          Published: Oct 17, 2000 - Updated: Oct 17, 2000

 MS00-077
          Patch Available for "NetMeeting Desktop Sharing" Vulnerability
          Published: Oct 13, 2000 - Updated: Oct 13, 2000

 MS00-076
          Patch Available for "Cached Web Credentials" Vulnerability
          Published: Oct 12, 2000 - Updated: Oct 12, 2000

 MS00-075
          Patch Available for "Microsoft VM ActiveX Component" Vulnerability
          Published: Oct 12, 2000 - Updated: Oct 12, 2000

 MS00-074
          Patch Available for "WebTV for Windows Denial of Service"
          Published: Oct 11, 2000 - Updated: Oct 11, 2000

 MS00-073
          Patch Available for "Malformed IPX NMPI Packet" Vulnerability
          Published: Oct 11, 2000 - Updated: Oct 11, 2000

 MS00-072
          Patch Available for "Share Level Password" Vulnerability
          Published: Oct 10, 2000 - Updated: Oct 10, 2000

 MS00-071
          Patch Available for "Word Mail Merge" Vulnerability
          Published: Oct 05, 2000 - Updated: Oct 05, 2000

 MS00-070
          Patch Available for Multiple LPC and LPC Ports Vulnerabilities
          Published: Oct 03, 2000 - Updated: Oct 03, 2000

 MS00-069
          Patch Available for "Simplified Chinese IME State Recognition"
          Vulnerability
          Published: Sep 29, 2000 - Updated: Sep 29, 2000

 MS00-068
          Patch Available for "OCX Attachment" Vulnerability
          Published: Sep 26, 2000 - Updated: Sep 26, 2000

 MS00-067
          Re-release: Patch Available for "Windows 2000 Telnet Client NTLM
          Authentication" Vulnerability
          Published: Sep 14, 2000 - Updated: Sep 21, 2000

 MS00-066
          Patch Available for "Malformed RPC Packet" Vulnerability
          Published: Sep 11, 2000 - Updated: Sep 11, 2000

 MS00-065
          Patch Available for "Still Image Service Privilege Escalation"
          Vulnerability
          Published: Sep 06, 2000 - Updated: Sep 07, 2000

 MS00-064
          Patch Available for "Unicast Service Race Condition" Vulnerability
          Published: Sep 06, 2000 - Updated: Sep 06, 2000

 MS00-063
          Patch Available for "Invalid URL" Vulnerability
          Published: Sep 05, 2000 - Updated: Sep 06, 2000

 MS00-062
          Patch Available for "Local Security Policy Corruption"
          Vulnerability
          Published: Aug 28, 2000 - Updated: Aug 28, 2000

 MS00-061
          Patch Available for "Money Password" Vulnerability
          Published: Aug 25, 2000 - Updated: Aug 25, 2000

 MS00-060
          Patch Available for "IIS Cross-Site Scripting" Vulnerabilities
          Published: Aug 25, 2000 - Updated: Nov 02, 2000

 MS00-059
          Patch Available for "Java VM Applet" Vulnerability
          Published: Aug 21, 2000 - Updated: Aug 22, 2000

 MS00-058
          Patch Available for "Specialized Header" Vulnerability
          Published: Aug 14, 2000 - Updated: Aug 14, 2000

 MS00-057
          Patch Available for "File Permission Canonicalization" Vulnerability
          Published: Aug 10, 2000 - Updated: Aug 10, 2000

 MS00-056
          Patch Available for "Microsoft Office HTML Object Tag" Vulnerability
          Published: Aug 09, 2000 - Updated: Aug 10, 2000

 MS00-055
          Patch Available for "Scriptlet Rendering" Vulnerability
          Published: Aug 09, 2000 - Updated: Aug 09, 2000

 MS00-054
          Patch Available for "Malformed IPX Ping Packet" Vulnerability
          Published: Aug 03, 2000 - Updated: Aug 03, 2000

 MS00-053
          Patch Available for "Service Control Manager Named Pipe
          Impersonation" Vulnerability
          Published: Aug 02, 2000 - Updated: Aug 02, 2000

 MS00-052
          Patch Available for "Relative Shell Path" Vulnerability
          Published: Jul 31, 2000 - Updated: Jul 31, 2000

 MS00-051
          Patch Available for "Excel REGISTER.ID Function" Vulnerability
          Published: Jul 26, 2000 - Updated: Jul 26, 2000

 MS00-050
          Telnet Server Flooding" Vulnerability
          Published: Jul 24, 2000 - Updated: Jul 24, 2000

 MS00-049
          Patch Available for "The Office HTML Script" Vulnerability and a
          Workaround for "The IE Script" Vulnerability
          Published: Jul 13, 2000 - Updated: Aug 09, 2000

 MS00-048
          Patch Available for "Stored Procedure Permissions" Vulnerability
          Published: Jul 07, 2000 - Updated: Jul 07, 2000

 MS00-047
          Patch Available for "NetBIOS Name Server Protocol Spoofing"
          Published: Jul 27, 2000 - Updated: Jul 27, 2000

 MS00-046
          Patch Available for "Cache Bypass" Vulnerability
          Published: Jul 20, 2000 - Updated: Jul 20, 2000

 MS00-045
          Patch Available for "Persistent Mail-Browser Link" Vulnerability
          Published: Jul 20, 2000 - Updated: Jul 20, 2000

 MS00-044
          Patch Available for "Absent Directory Browser Argument"
          Vulnerability
          Published: Jul 14, 2000 - Updated: Jul 14, 2000

 MS00-043
          Patch Available for "Malformed E-mail Header" Vulnerability
          Published: Jul 18, 2000 - Updated: Jul 20, 2000

 MS00-042
          Patch Available for Active Setup Download Vulnerability
          Published: Jun 29, 2000 - Updated: Jul 02, 2000

 MS00-041
          Patch Available for "DTS Password" Vulnerability
          Published: Jun 13, 2000 - Updated: Jul 11, 2000

 MS00-040
          Patch Available for "Remote Registry Access Authentication"
          Vulnerability
          Published: Jun 08, 2000 - Updated: Jun 08, 2000

 MS00-039
          Patch Available for "SSL Certificate Validation" Vulnerabilities
          Published: Jun 05, 2000 - Updated: Jun 06, 2000

 MS00-038
          Patch Available for "Malformed Windows Media Encoder Request"
          Vulnerability
          Published: May 30, 2000 - Updated: Jun 20, 2000

 MS00-037
          Patch Available for "HTML Help File Code Execution" Vulnerability
          Published: Jun 02, 2000 - Updated: Jun 02, 2000

 MS00-036
          Patch Available for "ResetBrowser Frame" and "HostAnnouncement
          Flooding" Vulnerabilities
          Published: May 25, 2000 - Updated: May 26, 2000

 MS00-035
          Patch Available for "SQL Server 7.0 Service Pack Password"
          Vulnerability
          Published: May 30, 2000 - Updated: Jun 15, 2000

 MS00-034
          Patch Available for "Office 2000 UA Control" Vulnerability
          Published: May 12, 2000 - Updated: May 12, 2000

 MS00-033
          Patch Available for "Frame Domain Verification", "Unauthorized
          Cookie Access", and
          "Malformed Component Attribute" Vulnerabilities
          Published: May 17, 2000 - Updated: May 17, 2000

 MS00-032
          Patch and Tool Available for "Protected Store Key Length"
          Vulnerability
          Published: Jun 01, 2000 - Updated: Jul 26, 2000

 MS00-031
          Patch Available for "Undelimited .HTR Request" and "File
          Fragment Reading via .HTR"
          Vulnerabilities
          Published: May 05, 2000 - Updated: May 05, 2000

 MS00-030
          Patch Available for "Malformed Extension Data in URL" Vulnerability
          Published: May 11, 2000 - Updated: May 12, 2000

 MS00-029
          Patch Available for "IP Fragment Reassembly" Vulnerability
          Published: May 19, 2000 - Updated: May 23, 2000

 MS00-028
          Procedure Available to Eliminate "Server-Side Image Map
          Components" Vulnerability
          Published: Apr 21, 2000 - Updated: Apr 21, 2000

 MS00-027
          Patch Available for "Malformed Environment Variable" Vulnerability
          Published: Apr 20, 2000 - Updated: Apr 24, 2000

 MS00-026
          Patch Available for "Mixed Object Access" Vulnerability
          Published: Apr 20, 2000 - Updated: Apr 24, 2000

 MS00-025
          Procedure Available to Eliminate "Link View Server-Side
          Component" Vulnerability
          Published: Apr 14, 2000 - Updated: Apr 17, 2000

 MS00-024
          Tool Available for "OffloadModExpo Registry Permissions"
          Vulnerability
          Published: Apr 12, 2000 - Updated: Apr 13, 2000

 MS00-023
          Patch Available for "Myriad Escaped Characters" Vulnerability
          Published: Apr 12, 2000 - Updated: Apr 12, 2000

 MS00-022
          Patch Available for "XLM Text Macro" Vulnerability
          Published: Apr 03, 2000 - Updated: Apr 04, 2000

 MS00-021
          Malformed TCP/IP Print Request Vulnerability
          Published: Mar 30, 2000 - Updated: Mar 30, 2000

 MS00-020
          Patch Available for "Desktop Separation" Vulnerability
          Published: Jun 15, 2000 - Updated: Jun 15, 2000

 MS00-019
          Patch Available for "Virtualized UNC Share" Vulnerability
          Published: Mar 30, 2000 - Updated: Mar 30, 2000

 MS00-018
          Patch Available for "Chunked Encoding Post" Vulnerability
          Published: Mar 20, 2000 - Updated: Mar 21, 2000

 MS00-017
          Patch Available for "DOS Device in Path Name" Vulnerability
          Published: Mar 16, 2000 - Updated: Mar 16, 2000

 MS00-016
          Patch Available for "Malformed Media License Request" Vulnerability
          Published: Mar 17, 2000 - Updated: Mar 20, 2000

 MS00-015
          Patch Available for "Clip Art Buffer Overrun" Vulnerability
          Published: Mar 06, 2000 - Updated: Mar 07, 2000

 MS00-014
          Patch Available for "SQL Query Abuse" Vulnerability
          Published: Mar 08, 2000 - Updated: Mar 08, 2000

 MS00-013
          Patch Available for "Misordered Windows Media Services Handshake"
          Vulnerability
          Published: Feb 23, 2000 - Updated: Feb 24, 2000

 MS00-012
          Patch Available for "Remote Agent Permissions" Vulnerability
          Published: Feb 22, 2000 - Updated: Feb 22, 2000

 MS00-011
          Patch Available for "VM File Reading" Vulnerability
          Published: Feb 18, 2000 - Updated: Feb 18, 2000

 MS00-010
          Patch Available for "Site Wizard Input Validation" Vulnerability
          Published: Feb 18, 2000 - Updated: Feb 18, 2000

 MS00-009
          Patch Available for "Image Source Redirect" Vulnerability
          Published: Feb 16, 2000 - Updated: Feb 16, 2000

 MS00-008
          Patch Available for "Registry Permissions" Vulnerability
          Published: Mar 09, 2000 - Updated: Mar 09, 2000

 MS00-007
          Patch Available for "Recycle Bin Creation" Vulnerability
          Published: Feb 01, 2000 - Updated: Feb 01, 2000

 MS00-006
          Patch Available for "Malformed Hit-Highlighting Argument"
          Vulnerability
          Published: Jan 26, 2000 - Updated: Mar 31, 2000

 MS00-005
          Patch Available for "Malformed RTF Control Word" Vulnerability
          Published: Jan 17, 2000 - Updated: Jan 17, 2000

 MS00-004
          Patch Available for "RDISK Registry Enumeration File" Vulnerability
          Published: Jan 21, 2000 - Updated: Feb 03, 2000

 MS00-003
          Patch Available for "Spoofed LPC Port Request" Vulnerability
          Published: Jan 13, 2000 - Updated: Jan 13, 2000

 MS00-002
          Patch Available for "Malformed Conversion Data" Vulnerability
          Published: Jan 21, 2000 - Updated: Jan 21, 2000

 MS00-001
          Patch Available for "Malformed IMAP Request" Vulnerability
          Published: Jan 04, 2000 - Updated: Jan 04, 2000

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 03:45:58 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8u4jta$emu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Actually, it does in most cases. A .doc file has a Word icon beside
it,
> an
> > > XLS file has an Excel icon beside the attachment etc.
> >
> > Neat - why don't they draw a picture of a bug when the attachment
> > has a virus?
>
> How could they know?
> Let me ask it again: How could Outlook know, for crying out loud?!

Weren't you suggesting that users were 'stupid' if they didn't know
when in fact anything that could tell them is intentionally hidden
by the mailer.   But now you think it is difficult for the computer
which actually has access to the configured programs to know...

From: Bill Henry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Global warming. (was Public v. Private Schools)
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 03:47:35 GMT

Bob Germer wrote:

> On 09/19/2000 at 03:00 AM,
>    Jason Bowen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> > > Jason lad, don't you wonder why not a single person has agreed with
> > > anything you post?
>
> > Egad you're stupid, I've had several people agree, your newserver must
> > be broke.  Are you the admin for it, that might explain it.
>
> There is nothing wrong with my newsfeed which I do not administer. I have
> read every message on this subject and not one agrees with you.
>
> --

Perhaps no one contributed because they thought that Jason was doing an
OK job. . .or perhaps they saw the subject and just skipped it because
it didn't look very comp.os oriented . . .implying that the only readers
of it were you, Jason and Aaron and perhaps a few really bored
individuals. . . Just a thought.

Well, I got bored and figured I'd read this thread. Since I did a little
investigation on the issue of trigger mechanisms and initiation
processes of ice ages a few years back, I might be able to present some
of Jason's points in laymen's terms.First of all, the big "IF". If the
current melt-off of the ice caps can halt or substantially slow ocean
circulation (a pretty good bet and Jason covered this well), then the
planet's biggest heat pump is effectively turned off. The tropics will
get warmer and the 'temperate' areas will become, well, polar.
Ferinstance, the Gulf Stream acts as a big heater, warming North America
and Northern Europe (Ever been to St. Petersburg? Spitting distance from
the arctic circle but pretty mild weather, all things considered).

Now, if melting the ice cap kicks a jam into the Gulf Stream,(and the
North Pacific Current) things will get really cold, really fast anywhere
north of 40. . .latitude, that is. So we get a really bad winter? Well,
if that's all that can happen, then the ice caps will reform and,
gradually, the great ocean currents will start picking up momentum
again, eventually to return to pumping heat up north.

The problem is more complex than this, though. Jason mentions that the
ocean is like a 'black body', absorbing almost all the solar energy that
hits it. This seems to diminish the significance of heat that the planet
picks up from sunlight that hits dirt, doesn't it? That energy is
actually quite important to the global energy accounting as well,
especially if the huge amounts of heat that the ocean is soaking up is
staying in the latitudes where it is absorbed.

What determines how much heat land can absorb? Silly question? This
amount is an inverse function of the Earth surface's 'albedo' or,
basically, how much light it reflects. Not surprisingly, snow has a very
high albedo, reflecting almost all of the energy that hits it. This is
significant.

Put the two togather - stopping the Earth's heat distribition system
(ocean currents) and reduced energy absorbtion due to a season of
extended snow coverage which is itself due to the lack of tropical
energy being pumped to the temperate zones - and you have a very strong
positive feedback system.

How serious this can be is of course predicated upon how quickly the
ocean currents can be stopped and started. It is assumed that they may
be easy to stop, like sticking a broomstick through the spokes of a
bicycle wheel(fresh water run off from melting ice caps). Starting them
up again, on the other hand, is thought to be something that occures on
a geologic time scale. . .if you're an optimist, then by all means count
on nature being able to spin up billions of tons of water at the snap of
a finger. . .

In any event, assuming that the ocean currents get stopped and don't
start right up again (current accepted model) and that this causes a
winter's snowfall to not melt off in the spring (also pretty reasonable)
then a cycle of snow accumulation could ensue. Realize that air
circulation won't stop. Hot, wet air from the now superheated tropics
will cruise to the colder temperate areas and dump huge amounts of snow
(the atmosphere can rearange its currents much faster than the oceans).
The glaciers will, of course, forget about melting in the glacier off
season and just get down to some serious advancing. That, by itself,
won't ice Canada in a decade. What will really put the freeze on the
Great White North is the continual snowfall. . .or the, as skiers call
it, 'base' that increases from week to week.

Clearly, existing glaciers will take a long time to threaten the Bronx,
even at their highest conceivable speed. What about a thousand meters of
snow piled up on Bear Mountain though? The point being that glaciers
will form where there haven't been glaciers since, well, the last ice
age. The ice cover can advance rapidly not by the simple extension of
existing glaciers but by piling up enough snow to form them where they
would be apropriate.

This is actually a pretty good and solid model of the consequences of
global warming. . .Why Jason should get so worried about it I haven't a
clue though. To me, it sounds great! I love skiing and it won't be an
immediate threat to =>me<=. Living through a geologic event would be a
real kick, particularly when one considers that WE triggered it!  Not
being one who worries overly much about what my generation leaves the
next, it would just be a really cool (err. . .cold?) adventure! Bring on
the snow!!

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 03:52:45 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8u4s2a$i5s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> By your own words, *any* attachments are unsafe, to any OS.

That is not necessarily true.

> The fact is that Outlook lets you save them to the disk by default, NOT
run
> them.
> That you override the default settings in order to force outlook to run
them
> is not outlook's fault.

It is much more dangerous to put them in normal disk files, losing
track of the fact that the source is untrusted.   At that point any
accidental double-click is bound to launch them.  They are likely
to be forgotten, perhaps backed up and restored later, and what
do you expect the person who finds them to do first?

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Chad Myers: Blatent liar
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 03:49:21 GMT

In article <VmpN5.123598$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8u4s0p$1obt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > WRONG. Linux has more exploits on average than NT and WAY more
than
> 2000.
> >
> > Actually, and not surprisingly, you are quite incorrect.
> >
> > NT has more known exploits than SuSe.
> >
> > Windows2000 has been out for less than a year, while linux has been
out
> > for many years.  Thus, more exploits have been found.  Your thinking
is
> > completely wrong.
> >
> > Give it time.
>
> SUSE has more everyday. Here is one from September :
> http://www.suse.com/de/support/security/adv8_draht_pam_smb_txt.txt:
>
>     pam_smb is a package for a PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules)
module
>     that allows Linux/Unix user authentication using a Windows NT
server.
>     Versions 1.1.5 and before contain a buffer overflow that would
allow
>     a remote attacker to gain root access on the target host, provided
that
>     the target host has the module installed and configured.
>
>    SuSE distributions starting with SuSE-6.2 have the package pam_smb
>     installed if a network server installation configuration has been
>     selected or if the package has been selected manually.
>
> *** This package is automatically installed if it is a network server.
>
> *** Wow

Yeah, but you should here the writer of Samba talk about the security
problems with MS's SMB. What the rest of the world would consider a
serios bug, MS put in as a feature! At one point when MS wanted to start
sending encrypted passwords they put that in the protocol and when you
selected encrypted passwords (thingking you were safer) the encypted
password was indeed sent, but for backword compatability, so was the
plain text file! Yeah, it's a feature!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JoeX1029)
Subject: What I dont like about Linux
Date: 06 Nov 2000 04:03:35 GMT

This is a list of what I dislike about Linux, though easily solved and not too
big a deal.

1) Netscape
The Netscape windows is *always* too tall, fixed easily.

Well, there it is.  Thats what i dont like.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 20:22:44 -0800

On Sun, 05 Nov 2000 23:44:10 GMT,
 Loren Petrich, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Loren Petrich wrote:

>> >    In effect, contrary to government regulations.
>> And your point is?
>
>   That demonization of "government regulations" is silly.
>
>> Hint fucking hint: wanting government protection of rights (as defined
>> in the constitution) does NOT imply a desire for socialism, which
>> ends up ALWAYS being implemented by a kleptocracy (see: Russia, China,
>> Sweden, UK, Canada, and every other place where having everying provided
>> for you means first having everything stolen from you).
>
>   Ah yes. That dirty word, "socialism".
>
>   And taxation is specified by law, meaning that, by definition, it is
>not theft.

When the law specified slavery, was it not slavery?

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...)
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 20:24:25 -0800

On Sun, 05 Nov 2000 23:51:58 GMT,
 Loren Petrich, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Loren Petrich wrote:

>> >    Yet another sore loser of capitalism. Whenever some capitalist
>> > decides against him, he wails "No fair! No fair! No fair!".'
>> Exactly how is government confiscation of legitimate earnings, for
>> the purpose of buying votes from the congenitally lazy.... "fair"
>
>   It's not confiscation, it's the law.

being the law doesn't stop it being confiscation, remember, the Jews were sent
off to camps, *legally* according to the law of the time and place, as were the
Japanese Americans in 1942. The Gulags in the old USSR were legal, according to
their legal system.