From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 11:47:34 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > I see Windows users all around me.  They're stupid, and they don't even know it.
> >

> Windows users are often more ignorant than stupid!

Most are MILITANTLY ignorant....

And anybody who CHOOSES to remain ignorant MUST be classified as stupid.

> --
> http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 11:48:11 -0500

Toon Afish wrote:

> George Custer felt the same way about all those Indians. All he could see
> was savages. Now Gen. Custer and your brain have much in common. Both dead.

And yet, I make 3x as much as Microcrash admins.

Why is that?

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > I see Windows users all around me.  They're stupid, and they don't even
> know it.
> >
> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > ICQ # 3056642
> >
> > http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632
> >

> > H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
> >     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
> >     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
> >     you are lazy, stupid people"
> >
> > I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
> >    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
> >    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
> >    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
> >
> > J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
> >    The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
> >    also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
> >
> > A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.
> >
> > B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
> >    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
> >    direction that she doesn't like.
> >
> > C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
> >
> > D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
> >    ...despite (C) above.
> >
> > E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
> >    her behavior improves.
> >
> > F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
> >    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
> >
> > G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 11:49:08 -0500

Bruce Schuck wrote:

> "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8u46c1$uo7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> even
> > know it.
> > > >

> > > Windows users are often more ignorant than stupid!
> >
> > Unlike Aaron, who has the dubious honour of being ignorant _and_ stupid.
>
> And asleep.

Don't you wish YOU could get paid while you're sleeping?

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Tuff Competition for LINUX!
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 11:51:01 -0500

Chad Mulligan wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Bruce Schuck wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > source
> portions
> > > of

> > > You are the Crown Prince of "Absence of Information".
> >
> > I bow down before the, oh KING of "Absence of Information"
> >

> > > And death threats.
> >
> > Hey...at least *I* can carry them out.
> >
> > Care to duel at 500 yards?
> >

> What are you going to hit him with?  Your Sig perchance?

Don't be stupid.

You don't use pistols at that distance....moron.

> > > And sleeping on the job.
> >
> > My shit works....therefore, it's not an issue.
> >

> > > And fabricated Ford/GM/Chrysler Dealerships in Detroit.
> >

> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > ICQ # 3056642
> >
> > http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632
> >

> > H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
> >     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
> >     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
> >     you are lazy, stupid people"
> >
> > I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
> >    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
> >    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
> >    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
> >
> > J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
> >    The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
> >    also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
> >
> > A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.
> >
> > B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
> >    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
> >    direction that she doesn't like.
> >
> > C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
> >
> > D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
> >    ...despite (C) above.
> >
> > E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
> >    her behavior improves.
> >
> > F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
> >    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
> >
> > G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM to BUY MICROSOFT!!!!
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 11:58:19 -0500

Bruce Schuck wrote:

> "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:WfOM5.12957$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:vGMM5.121762$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > Anyone who reads the security advisories knows that Linux distros are
> > > unsecure and open by default. They are the favorite hacking ground of
> > script
> > > kiddies and hackers.
> > >

> > This hasn't been true for the last several releases.
>
> Sure it is.

Yooooo hoo,
Wake up Rip Van winkle.... the current year is 2000, *NOT* 1996.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 12:01:33 -0500

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Sun, 5 Nov 2000 23:36:58 +0200, Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > >What is unclear about this?
> >
> > >What do you want to do with the file?
> > >
> > >[] Open it.
> > >[*] (default) Save it to disk.
> > >
> > >[*] (default) always ask me about this file type?
> > >
> > >[okay] [cancel]"
> >
> > What does "open" mean?  Will it be opened with a viewer, or will it be
> > executed by an interpreter?  Why does Windows conflate the two to begin
> > with?  Howcome there's no "view in text editor" or "run a specified
> > program to view" option?
>
> It runs the application associated with that file type, plainly visible
> by its icon.

Amd when the Excel spreadsheet contains a macro that wipes out
your hard drive.....how do you identify this AHEAD OF TIME, exactly?

> This is basic stuff.

That Windows is still not ready for prime time.

> Have you guys ever used Windows, or are you content to wallow in your
> ignorance and bash it without any knowledge?
>
> -Chad

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Andres Soolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why don't I use Linux?
Date: 6 Nov 2000 17:09:41 GMT

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Your statement that Word is "fuck all use" is wrong.
Heh :)

Since I happen to be in a MSW computer lab, let's do a simple test.
I'll fire up MSWord.  It asks for my name and initials, claiming "This
information will be used in Office workgroup features."  What for?
I don't want any Office workgroup features.  Besides, the underlying
system knows the data from my logging in.

Then I try to explain Clippy what a regular expression is.  It tries
to calm me down by advertising bells and whistles; in short, it offers
"Set the default font", "Troubleshoot styles", "Change keyboard language
automatically", "About Web Folders" etc--none of which has anything
to do with what I want.  Is that easy to use?

Finally, I arrive to a help page about something called wildcards that
are almost like regexps but not quite.  The most annoying thing is they've
completely unnecessarily renamed . to ? and .* to * and + to @ .  Oh,
well, the standards.

The Note there states that

| You can use parentheses to group the wildcard characters and text and to
| indicate the order of evaluation. For example, type <(pre)*(ed)> to find
| "presorted" and "prevented".

What are the parentheses for?  They carry no useful meaning.

And there seems be no way for any escaping.  I can't match mail addresses,
for example, because @ happens to have a special meaning.

When I try to read the tree-shaped help browser, the listing gets all
jumpy while scrolling.

Wandering around, I discover that the command "SHIFT+F1, click" should
be equivalent for WordPerfect `Reveal Codes'.  Not having any MSWord
format files handy, I'll use the promising files under Favorites in
the Open dialog box.  Whose favorites should they be?  The first crash.

Well, that doesn't seem to work, so I just type some nonsense and do
markup.  And, guess what, S-F1 doesn't work like Reveal Codes at all.
It doesn't show you the markup tags.  It, at it's best, might you give
the current situation at certain points of text.

Well, then Clippy.  Ask anything you want, if there's "source" in there,
it wants you to be satisfied with the "HTML source code of a web page".

In the Help Index, there is the Euro sign.  When I click it, it offers me
"Displaying and entering the euro curren..." (the rest is behind the
box frame and therefore unseen) and "AltGr keys".  The first claims that with
an Estonian keyboard (which I happen to have), I should press AltGr-E.
Which doesn't work for some reason.  (Well, to be pedantically exact,
there actually is an Euro symbol on the E key on the keyboard.)

The second is even funnier:

| AltGr keys
| To display this topic, click the graphic:
|
| [a strange icon which apparently wants to be like a window]
|
| To display this topic by using the keyboard, press F6 to activate the topic
| pane, press the TAB key to select the graphic, and then press ENTER.

Huh?  What has that do with AltGr?

And then that in "Tips for recording a macro":

| Before you record or write a macro, plan the steps and commands you want
| the macro to perform. If you make a mistake when you record the macro,
| corrections you make will also be recorded. You can edit the macro later
| and remove unnecessary steps you recorded.
Huh?

Then there's something interesting.  "Security levels in Word".  It
commands me to click the "graphic" again, then shows a table with the
title "Security levels in Word", which tells about macro viruses and three
distinct `security levels'.  Firstly, do these guys really think macro
viruses is everything about security?  Second, "Valid signed macros from
trusted source" is claimed to be always enabled.  With no way of overriding
them.  Do these guys really think that's secure?  Third, there is a cryptic
gray "Additional resources" on bottom of the table which doesn't do a
thing when I click on it.  Funny, it looks much like a link.

Well, when I was in high school, they taught a MSOffice which allowed you
to drag buttons around the toolbars and toolbars around the screen.  They
told me it was intuitive.  Why can't I do it any more?  The new version is
supposed to be more intuitive than the old one, after all.

For some reasons, all of the words I type have funny squiggly red lines
under them.  What for?  They're perfectly good words and the Estonian
spell checker is supposed to be in place.

Furthermore, a perfectly valid word "kukkus" (to fall in past tense)
is `fixed' to "kukus" (which is nonsense) while typing.  When I use
combinations like "word'i" (the obvious name in genitive case), the
genitive suffix is `fixed' to uppercase.  Which looks funny at best
and is plain wrong at worst.  I start to understand why Timmay never
checks his spelling.

The menus have two v's stacked on top of each other at their bottoms.
Some new intuitive feature, I guess--lets us know that the menus roll
downwards and not from left to right, for example.  Then again, there is
a similar picture, but rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise on the
toolbar--and the toolbars don't roll at all.  Not from left to right,
not from right to left.

I don't have a good way to enter tags or "run macros" as MSW calls it.
All it has are the "hotkeys" or clicking the mouse.  But you run out
of the key combinations since there aren't Meta, Hyper, Super and
Dark Lord keys and clicking the mouse is slow.  It doesn't do automatic
C indentation.  It `fixes' my text wrongly.  I don't have even the simple
concept of `again' which vi so conveniently binds to the . key.

All that and you claim it isn't PITA to use?
(To be exact, it's PITH.  I now have headache.)

> Cryptic names are too common on Linux. Does a user know what 'cat' or 'ls'
> or 'grep' or 'pwd' mean? As opposed to 'type', 'dir', 'find'?
Yes, when given proper reference sheet.

--
Andres Soolo   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Space tells matter how to move and matter tells space how to curve.
                -- Wheeler