From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OS stability
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 14:56:33 -0500

sfcybear wrote:

> The people at netcraft have started tracking uptime. Here is the top 50
> "up-times"
>
> http://uptime.netcraft.com/today/top.avg.html
>
> For a "free" OS, Linux and OpenBSD made a good showing for themselves.
> Here's a breakdown of the top 50:
>
> Solaris 22
> Linux   13
> Irix     9
> BSD/OS   5
> FreeBSD  1
>
> 13 in the to 50 for Linux! Not bad for a free OS.
>
> The longest uptime on the list comes from Universitaetsklinikum Rudolf
> Virchow with 825 days, OVER 2 years! Number 50 came was Octel
> Communications Corporation at just under a year, arespectable 347 days!
> Linux's best reported uptime? Over a year 406 days.
>
> But what about MS? None in the top 50? Well to be fair W2000 has only
> been out for what 9 months and the best uptime I found came from Dell
> with a W2K server up for 81 days less than 1/3 of the total time w2k has
> been out. The best w2k uptime reported by MS? 75 long days! Not even 3
> months. Then there is NT the OS that so many WinSuporters said was so
> stable, MS reports about 28 days! Not even a month! The poor MS admins
> if that is the BEST NT can do!

Obviously they need to hire people who can wave the dead chickens
more vigorously.

> These are not benchmarks or staged tests, this is the real world folks!
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Clifford W. Racz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Is Lame. Sorry but it is true
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 14:53:16 -0500

"A transfinite number of monkeys" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Just a point of fact - Windoze will *require* swap space, even with 512 MB
> of RAM.  It's so a crashdump can be written to disk before the system
> checks out, in the event of a crash (which BTW is far more likely under
> Windoze)...
>
> --
> Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.
> jcostom {at} jasons {dot} org  |  http://www.jasons.org/
>           Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

I have yet to, in 9 months of daily usage, have Windows 2000 lockup once.
But Linux never locked up either, once i got it running.

My Windows 2000 disk cost me $5.  Took me 2 hours to set up.  Since I get
paid (as a contractor so i work as little or as much as I choose) $20 an
hour; I figure Win2000 cost me a total of $45 to get running.  In contrast,
Linux has cost me an estimated $1000 and netted me very little in return.  I
don't care who Claire is...

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 15:07:01 -0500

Russ Lyttle wrote:

> "." wrote:
> >
> > > Why anyone would want anything other than Win2k pro on their desktop or
> > > laptop is beyond me ...
> >
> > Why anyone would want to contribute to Microsofts domination of the world
> > is beyond me.
> >
> Well. people eat at McDonald's

Is McDonald's the only restaurant?

A) yes
B) NO

Is McDonald's the only fast-food restaurant?

A) yes
B) NO

Is McDonald's the only fast-food hamburger restaurant?

A) yes
B) NO

>                                 and buy lotto tickets don't they?

And your point is?

> > It's also beyond me why anyone would so proactively advocate everyone
> > using Win2k...  Win2k is simply not suitable for a large number of
> > people.  You'd think that someone as familiar with it as you appear to be
> > would understand this, but I guess it's just another case of "I picked
> > the right thing for me, everyone choosing something else must be wrong.
> > I must convert the heathens."
> >
> > I don't try to advocate linux or *BSD as the sole solution to operating
> > systems, why should you with 2k?  (I do like to point out the advantages
> > though...  there are many people running blind who don't even realise
> > alternatives exist...)
>
> --
> Russ Lyttle, PE
> <http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>
> Not Powered by ActiveX

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 20:15:51 GMT

On Thu, 09 Nov 2000 19:40:05 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A transfinite
number of monkeys) wrote:

>Hi Steve/Claire/whatever your real name is..  Good to see you've changed
>names again!

Bad guess.
 But you can still phone a friend.

claire

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Into the abyss of the WinTroll mind
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 20:17:56 GMT

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:32:02 -0500, Mike Raeder
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Did you fail to read the above?  If not, go into a biker bar and call
>the biggest biker a homo, then ask him to help you with your
>oil-filtre.

I'm not the one using foul language and insulting our Gay friends.

claire

------------------------------

From: "Clifford W. Racz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The laptop with Linux lasted exactly one week.......
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 15:16:43 -0500

> Read: linux isnt for morons.
>
> > Just because everyone around here thinks they are a Linux expert,
>
> I'm certianly no expert, but im not irretrievably stupid either.

Just because we don't have all the free time in the world to figure out how
to make it go doesn't make us morons.  But, then again.  Windows may equal
lazy, time contrained or security hole,  but not necessarily idiotic or
moronic.

FYI:  I am wasting my time on this newsgroup because it makes me laugh.
Sometimes I need a break.

------------------------------

From: "Clifford W. Racz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Aaron R. Kulkis - Who is this guy?
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 15:12:17 -0500

"Jake Taense" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I can't believe how many posts he's responsible for...
>
> If you're reading this, Aaron - please answer:
>
> You claim to be a UNIX Systems Engineer.
>
> Is that an Engineer in the same way as an MCSE is an Engineer (i.e. not an
> Engineer at all)?
>
> If it is vendor-based, what certification do you possess to qualify as an
> "Engineer"?

And why don't you loose the long signature file?  It is annoying.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows vs. everybody-else in the desktop/server markets. (Long!)
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 15:22:25 -0500

sfcybear wrote:

> In article <8ud6ep$ov6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > "sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8ud108$p0c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > believe
> party
> > > that can
> > >

> > > No, it is NOT safe to say that web counter is a fair sample of the
> web.
> > > It is a scewed sample because it uses *THECOUNTER CUSTOMERS* and not
> > > cross section of the web.
> >
> > TheCounter is one of the most popular, if not the most popular,
> counter.
> > Therefor, I believe that it's display a fair sampling of what surfers
> use in
> > order to surf the web.
> > Do you've another source of data about this?
>
> Nothing that is reliable. The lack of reliable sources does not make the
> counter reliable
>

> > > Since this is NOT a valid cross section of the
> > > web any points you make are these stats are NOT valid when applide
> > > the web as a whole!
> >
> > What do you mean, cross section of the web?
> >

> Ummm, do you understand statistics are all????
>
> > > Second, if those stats refect anything about the
> > > QUALITY of the software www.thecounter.com does NOT seem to be
> paying
> > > attention, becase there server is running, ready for this? LINUX!
> WOW! I
> > > guess the counter really thinks their numbers point to the better
> > > software - snicker.
> >
> > Who talked about quality? I was talking popularity.
>
> Yeah, but you have not shown were this is a stastisticaly viable source.
>
> And let's talk stability! Here is some real numbers about stability:
>
> http://uptime.netcraft.com/today/top.avg.html
>
> Nope, MS isn't even in the top 50! Infact MS W2K is about 245 days
> BEHIND number 50 on the list! And the best Uptime NT/windows98
> www.microsoft.com reports is a stunning 28 days! Yeah, you can pay

Geeeeeeeze, when when I was at Purdue, the Engineering Computer Network
continued 28 days to still be only a beta-quality release for BSD Unix.

> hundreds of dollars on the most popular, I'll take the the best for
> free! WOW, Sounds like you following the lemmings to bankrupcy!
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 15:39:22 -0500

Les Mikesell wrote:

> "Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:w%4O5.124639$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > Was NTFS tested before it was released?  At work I inherited an NT box
> > > that collected news stories from a wire service and made them available
> > > through a web server.  The thing would crash regularly (like most
> > > pre-sp3 NT boxes) and it kept taking longer and longer for scandisk
> > > to finish.
> >
> > Disk problem. Or an airflow or heat problem. I lost a Quantum drive on my
> > dual P6-200 due to a heat/airflow problem.
>
> Nice Try.  All parts of the box were recycled for other uses without
> problems - and it wasn't all that busy.   It was an OS/Filesystem problem.
> It might have gone away with a backup/format/restore.  Then again
> it might have come back.
>
> > > Has NTFS been tested with large numbers of small files?  The disk
> > > above was nowhere near full, but it had accumulated a lot of files.
> >
> > I've never had a problem with an NT fileserver.
>
> If you really trust it,  completely fill a large NTFS filesystem with
> tiny files.  See if it ever the same afterwards.  I suspect that may
> have happened some time or another.   Most (but not all) unix
> filesystems consume directory space and slow down access
> in directories that have once had a huge number of files, but
> this goes away when you delete the directory and create a
> new one.

I'm surprised nobody has ever fixed that yet.

directories should always be compacted by one block whenever possible.

>              I don't think NTFS works that way.
>
>   Les Mikesell
>        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 9 Nov 2000 14:33:20 -0600

Jake Taense <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You claim to be a UNIX Systems Engineer.

> Is that an Engineer in the same way as an MCSE is an Engineer (i.e. not an
> Engineer at all)?

MSCE's are engineers in the same sense that plumbers are ceramic engineers.
Also, I've heard of plumbers being referred to as "commode doctors", but they
don't actually possess an M.D.

So many misleading terms.....

- Donn

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux vs Microsoft Misconceptions:
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 20:47:39 GMT

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000 14:42:09 -0500, "Clifford W. Racz"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I bought RedHat because it came with "Support".  I called because it froze
>up when I tried to install it on my laptop; the first thing they tell me is
>"We don't support Laptops."  So, I did a desktop installation and I was
>having problems with installing SSH (because i was a newbie, not a moron).
>I call and they say, "We don't support that...".  So, I look on the web and
>find that you need many different packages and then you cannot just type
>"y", you need to type "yes".

And they complain about Microsoft support.
FWIW Linux supports laptops, but getting one up and running is no easy
trick. Keeping it running is an even bigger trick.

>Finally, I find a tech support person who is compassionate and they say
>(unofficially) that I can kickstart my laptop and configure a framebuffer
>using the framebuffer how-to (snicker) except that if I use the wrong
>settings, I can fry my screen.  Good luck.  So, I spend many hours screwing
>around and then release 7 comes out and everything goes fine except I cannot
>get the screen to work and tech support won't do anything.

Sarcasm on:
Why do you even need a "screen" at all for? (you can substitute
scanner, printer, camera,soundcard, mouse,DVD and so forth for the
word screen).
I've been running Linux without a screen for months and it runs just
fine
Sarcasm off:

>So, I try Mandrake 7.2 recently, which goes very well!  Find a configuration
>on the Linux Laptop page that came out about the same time as Mandrake 7.2
>and now my laptop runs.

But for how long?

>On my desktop, I cannot get the kernel to compile - I get an Error 2 message
>no matter what.  So sound won't be compiled in and I can't get anything to
>work (like Gnome recording stuff).  What a waste of time.

Welcome to the silent Linux users group. Who needs sound anyway, I
mean Napster is going away so we really don't need those nasty mp3's.

>What did I pay for then?  I never had problems with Windows on either
>system.  I don't have the time to mess around.  Linux seems to be like
>windows in this way - "All talk."  I think it is excellent for a web server,
>for I have not had any problems (except the linux configuration under RedHat
>6.2 that was a known bug) but definately not as a desktop OS for people who
>want a computer that works for them, not a best friend.

You mean "the kernel" is not your best friend? There are people around
here that are in love with it. Check some of the other threads.

>I am an american, so i want ease of use.  I have children that are growing
>up and my son always asks me, when I am ttrying to get the computer running,
>"Dada, did you broked it again? The computer?  I wanna play with yooooo..."

You can teach him all about computer history starting with Asteroids.
See Linux, DOES have some use.

>After many, MANY hours of playing with Linux , after I bought RedHat box-set
>with "Support", spent many hours combing the web for info, read much of my
>Osbourne "The Complete Reference: Red Hat Linux" (which is a great book for
>new guys), and got everything running and usable, I have concluded this:

Would you like to split a case of Visine? I think I still have a
couple of bottles left. Funny thing is the only time I use the net for
Windows is when I search for updated drivers, which I generally don't
need anyway, but I like to be current.
I've NEVER had to search the net to figure out how to do something
basic like make a soundcard work.

>After all was said and done, it wasn't worth it.  If you are a new guy or
>just want a computer to use for simple stuff (like word processing, web
>browsing, playing a few games, that sort of thing) Don't mess with Linux.
>It just isn't ready yet.

And by the time it is, if that ever happens, the market will be so
pissed off at previous attempts at using Linux that it will be ignored
even more than it is now.
>Additionally, Don't mess with Linux on a laptop unless you have a LOT of
>free time to waste.  It just isn't ready yet.

I would have more respect for Linux if it had a big red sticker on the
box that said :

"No User Serviceable Parts Inside" Experienced Geeks only.

claire

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 20:50:37 GMT

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000 15:16:43 -0500, "Clifford W. Racz"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>FYI:  I am wasting my time on this newsgroup because it makes me laugh.
>Sometimes I need a break.

It's the most hysterical group on the net.

claire

------------------------------

From: Mike Raeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 06:00:33 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:32:02 -0500, Mike Raeder
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Did you fail to read the above?  If not, go into a biker bar and call
> >the biggest biker a homo, then ask him to help you with your
> >oil-filtre.
>
> I'm not the one using foul language and insulting our Gay friends.

You're thicker than I thought.

(okay, dig up your dictionary for this one) That was a metaphoric
description of your behavior, which is trying to tell you (in so many
words): Expect rude comments, foul language, etc. when you come into
an environment that doesn't appreciate your obnoxious behavior.  When
you act like the person going into the bar and insulting the biker,
you have the free speech to say what you wish, and the biker (those
who think your posts are inappropriate for this group) has the free
speech to tell you to piss off (or, in that case, most likely pound
your head in).

What do you expect?

Realistically, if you don't like Linux, why don't you just go play in
some MS group?

--
My Australian Shepherd is smarter than your honor student

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 21:01:42 GMT

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 06:00:33 -0500, Mike Raeder
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Realistically, if you don't like Linux, why don't you just go play in
>some MS group?

Because I like to watch people like you squirm when Linux is exposed
as the junk that it is.
If it weren't for people like me, the public might be mislead by the
lies and half truths about linsux that substitute for fact around
here.

claire

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (JoeX1029)
Date: 09 Nov 2000 21:01:52 GMT