From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux + KDE2 = 8)
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 02:13:32 GMT

"Pete Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:R7FP5.14884$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>
> > I thought you said you turned off your DNS to cause this to break.
>
> If I close down dialup, smb: stops working. It seems that Linux is trying
> to use DNS from dialup which is no longer there. I'm not sure how to
> configure the system to ONLY use DNS when dialup is present.

The obvious way is to provide your own DNS, given that you have everything
you need and more than one machine.   Make it primary for your own
domain (which can be made-up) and number ranges, and either a generic
caching nameserver or a slave to your ISP.   If that seems too complicated
for 2 machines, put everything in /etc/hosts.

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Journaling FS Question (Was: Re: Of course, there is a down side...)
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 02:21:54 GMT

"Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:NQFP5.125933$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > The thing you are missing is that journaling does not mean you won't
> > lose anything, it means that the operations are ordered so you can
> > always recover to a consistent state. Journaling metadata means that
> > the directory structure and free space tables are always consistent
> > or at least recoverable even though any particular file's contents
> > may not be correct.   Journaling everything usually requires writing
> > changes to a log, performing the real update, then clearing the log
> > so that incomplete operations remain in the log and can be completed
> > during recovery.    Making this set of steps come close to the speed
> > of  non-journaled operations is non-trivial.
>
> Sounds like NTFS does it.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q101/6/70.ASP

There is really not enough information in that article to tell whether
the log is just metadata or not, and I doubt if the omissions were
accidental.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: True GTK+ will eliminate Qt in next few years?
Date: 13 Nov 2000 02:24:46 GMT

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 16:07:41 -0500, James Hutchins wrote:
>Remember how Motif became the darling and crowded out all of its
>competitors within very few years? Is that what will happen with GTK+ and
>Qt?

No.

>I was about to switch from Motif to Qt, but have gotten advice from
>several sources suggesting Qt failed to get adopted as the darling of the
>unix community and GTK+ has succeeded, so Qt will not be around, or will
>be a hanger-on.

Your advice is bad. KDE has way too much momentum to just go away, and
it survived just fine without the blessing of several notable people in
the free software community for some time.

I don't see any sign that Qt will not "win".

Among the C++ developers, Qt is winning by an enormous margin. The GTK
bindings for C++ (GTK--) are somewhat behind the C bindings. Here's some
examples:

(*)     The CORBA system, ORBit is C based. (C++ bindings for ORBit are in
        their infancy and require an unstable version of glib -- and who knows
        if they're supported by GNOME) Implementing a CORBA interface
        in C is enough to make one want to pull their hair out (especially
        if you're using C++ but have to implement the CORBA stuff in C)

(*)     The GNOME bindings for C++ are quite new AFAIK. Same for the Glade
        bindings.

(*)     Since C++ is *the* main language of Qt/KDE, it is as a C++ API
        better documented, better supported, and a better organised effort.

So at least among C++ developers, Qt is a clear winner at this stage. I'd
suggest going with Qt if you want to use C++ or python, and Gtk if you
want to use anything else.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OS stability
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 21:29:40 -0500

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8uibbf$4d6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Are you blind or just stupid? Hardware failure has nothing to do with
> > the
> > > OS.
> >
> > Well, then the great uptimes linux injoys must be due to the OS because
> > linux runs on the same hardware and is performing better than NT and
> > 2000. IF this is not the case and the MS users are <snicker> doing the
> > monthly hardware rotations you <more snikers> suggest <rolling on the
> > floor laughing> then there is something that the MS users do not trust.
> > Frankly, Franky, I think that MS has you so convinced that all of the
> > problems are hardware related that you're not seening the real problem
> > and that is the MS OS. Linux runs on the same hardware and does not have
> > the same problems as Windows, so it MUST be the MS OS that is demanding
> > that the sites be taken down.
>
> No, it's not the same hardware.  It may be the same type of hardware, but
> all that shows is that Linux admins do not perform regular maintenance.
> That's to be expected from non-professionals.

I'm a university-educated, systems engineer....and I don't perform
much "regular maintenance" on any of the Unix boxes I administrate.

Disk drives last 5 years...We do backups every night.
If a power supply fails, the vendor will replace it in less than 120 minutes.

> I've worked with computer hardware for 20 years.  It fails, and it fails
> often.  I guess you consider fleet services like GE Capital Fleet Services
> to be stupid for doing routine maintenance on their vehicles as well.
>
> Frankly, you're stupid if you put mission critical services on a computer
> with a greater than 10% chance of failure without doing preventitive
> maintenance.
>
> I suppose you don't change the oil in your car either.  The whole Oil
> Changing thing is a ruse designed to sell more oil and is completely
> unneccesary.  Right?

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 21:31:34 -0500

Stuart Fox wrote:

> In article <8um3k5$onk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > In article <ColP5.7666$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > >
> > > I suppose you don't change the oil in your car either.  The whole
> Oil
> > > Changing thing is a ruse designed to sell more oil and is completely
> > > unneccesary.  Right?
> >
> > I don't have oil in my computer! I don't have ANYTHING that REQUIRES
> > regular changing. Please povide documented evidance were a computer
> > manufacture recomends changing ANYTHING the way car manufactures
> > recomend changing OIL!
> >
> > Your loosing it franky!
> >

> Whoosh!
>
> What was that?
>
> Just another analogy shooting over Matt's head...

What part of a computer needs regular maitenance, exactly?

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Date: 13 Nov 2000 02:32:15 GMT

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 23:21:15 GMT, sfcybear wrote:
>In article <KKBP5.7785$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

>NOT ONE as bad as BN. Ther is a range of skill sets and management Ideas

I've had NFS servers on Linux where the kernel based NFS server would choke
every day or two, and you'd need to reboot it. This was on a stock
distribution. Of course, I had the brains to install a userland server
and have experienced better reliability as a result.

However, the point is that any system can be unreliable if you hand it to
an incompetent admin.

A single instance of NT/Win2k performing badly doesn't prove anything unless
you know how it's being administered.

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 21:34:28 -0500

Les Mikesell wrote:

> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:3RFP5.7811$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > > Don't your raid controllers let you see the error statistics and swap
> > drives
> > > without a shutdown?   I think this is really all a ruse to excuse the
> fact
> > > that the OS won't stay up without periodic reboots to fix memory
> > > leaks.
> >
> > Sure, but that's just one item.  Routine maintenance should be conducted
> on
> > all parts in the system.  Memory, Disk Controllers themselves, Power
> > Supplies, CPU's, motherboards, etc...
>
> Can you share some statistics on how often your diagnostics have
> caught any component 'about to go bad' other than a disk drive?
> In my experience, acutually running in production is a more
> intense test that any diagnostic test you can get.
>
> > Unless you're buying a $1 million redundant system, this is the way things
> > go.  And doing that completely voids the reason to use cheaper PC hardware
> > (compared to Mainframes) to begin with.
>
> Personally I am beginning to think that dual-power supplies are a
> good idea if you want to keep something running, not because they
> break that often, but because someone will insist on rewiring
> the facility before you want to shut down or the UPS will fail
> (which has happened to me more than power supplies breaking).
> With a dual PS you can walk the power to a new source without
> shutting down.

Yep

>         Les Mikesell
>            [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 21:37:35 -0500

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:nXEP5.19654$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Sure you do.  Hard disks have mean times between failure.  If you don't
> > > change them prior to the MTBF you're risks go up exponentially, just
> like
> > > not changing your oil.  Of course the MTBF on hard disks is quite high,
> > but
> > > that's taking into account that some drives fail after a week, some
> after
> > 10
> > > years.  Doing routine diagnostics will help you identify that.
> >
> > Don't your raid controllers let you see the error statistics and swap
> drives
> > without a shutdown?   I think this is really all a ruse to excuse the fact
> > that the OS won't stay up without periodic reboots to fix memory
> > leaks.
>
> Sure, but that's just one item.  Routine maintenance should be conducted on
> all parts in the system.  Memory, Disk Controllers themselves, Power

What do you plan on doing to the memory and disk controllers?

Resoldering the boards?

Or is that where you do your infamouse computer oil changes?

No wonder you like that goddamn windows crap...

        you're too fucking STUPID to know how computers work.

> Supplies, CPU's, motherboards, etc...
>
> Unless you're buying a $1 million redundant system, this is the way things
> go.  And doing that completely voids the reason to use cheaper PC hardware
> (compared to Mainframes) to begin with.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 02:25:09 GMT

In article <ZSFP5.7812$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8un38j$fjc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > But machines that have been up for years haven't been patched, and
can
> > be
> > > identified as such quite easily now.
> >
> > But you have not proven that the NEED the patch! you have NOT proven
> > that they have the configuration REQUITRED to exploit the
vunerability!
> > the link you provided only said there was code to fix a TCP problem.
Not
> > ALL the TCP code needs to be compiled in, so the servers may well be
> > secure.
>
> And what base TCP code would not be compiled into a machine that's on
the
> internet?  We're not talking about things like IP masquerading here.
We're
> talking about the core TCP code.

compile all the socket crap into modules...But the you ignor my
statemnet "you have NOT proven that they have the configuration
REQUITRED to exploit the vunerability!" There are other conditions that
must be met before this bug can be exploited! Can the exploit be
prevented another way? Stoping spoofing at a rounter? Defragmenting at
the fire wall? Filtering rulls? Does the exploit require a cetain socket
to be open to exploit?

> If you choose to bury your head in the sand and yell "I'm secure until
you
> prove i'm not" rather than be proactive, that's your choice.

No, I just don't buy into the throw in every patch and assume your safe
attitude of yours. I need to know what and why the patch is going in.
What is the exploit am I really exposed. Information=power!

By the way here is a LONG list of TCP sockets (GET IT) that can be
turned on or off. The exploits you have listed could very well require
that a certain TCP port be open (you have NOT given enough infromation
to say ya or nay) Get it franky TCP! Even though this is TCP does the
exploit require a cetain process to be running or does it require that a
certian one of these ****TCP**** ports be open????

tcpmux          1/tcp                           # TCP port service
multiplexer
echo            7/tcp
discard         9/tcp           sink null
systat          11/tcp          users
daytime         13/tcp
netstat         15/tcp
qotd            17/tcp          quote
msp             18/tcp                          # message send protocol
chargen         19/tcp          ttytst source
ftp-data        20/tcp
ftp             21/tcp
ssh             22/tcp                          # SSH Remote Login
Protocol
telnet          23/tcp
smtp            25/tcp          mail
time            37/tcp          timserver
nameserver      42/tcp          name            # IEN 116
whois           43/tcp          nicname
re-mail-ck      50/tcp                          # Remote Mail Checking
Protocol domain          53/tcp          nameserver      # name-domain
server
mtp             57/tcp                          # deprecated
bootps          67/tcp                          # BOOTP server
bootpc          68/tcp                          # BOOTP client
gopher          70/tcp                          # Internet Gopher
rje             77/tcp          netrjs
finger          79/tcp
www             80/tcp          http            # WorldWideWeb HTTP
link            87/tcp          ttylink
kerberos        88/tcp          kerberos5 krb5  # Kerberos v5
supdup          95/tcp
hostnames       101/tcp         hostname        # usually from sri-nic
iso-tsap        102/tcp         tsap            # part of ISODE.
csnet-ns        105/tcp         cso-ns          # also used by CSO name
server
#3com-tsmux     106/tcp         poppassd
rtelnet         107/tcp                         # Remote Telnet
pop2            109/tcp         pop-2   postoffice      # POP version 2
pop3            110/tcp         pop-3           # POP version 3
sunrpc          111/tcp         portmapper      # RPC 4.0 portmapper TCP
auth            113/tcp         authentication tap ident
sftp            115/tcp
uucp-path       117/tcp
nntp            119/tcp         readnews untp   # USENET News Transfer
Protocol ntp             123/tcp
netbios-ns      137/tcp                         # NETBIOS Name Service
netbios-dgm     138/tcp                         # NETBIOS Datagram
Service
netbios-ssn     139/tcp                         # NETBIOS session
service
imap2           143/tcp         imap            # Interim Mail Access
Proto v2
cmip-man        163/tcp                         # ISO mgmt over IP
(CMOT)
cmip-agent      164/tcp
xdmcp           177/tcp                         # X Display Mgr. Control
Proto
nextstep        178/tcp         NeXTStep NextStep       # NeXTStep
window
bgp             179/tcp                         # Border Gateway Proto.
prospero        191/tcp                         # Cliff Neuman's
Prospero
irc             194/tcp                         # Internet Relay Chat
smux            199/tcp                         # SNMP Unix Multiplexer
at-rtmp         201/tcp                         # AppleTalk routing
at-nbp          202/tcp                         # AppleTalk name binding
at-echo         204/tcp                         # AppleTalk echo
at-zis          206/tcp                         # AppleTalk zone
information
qmtp            209/tcp                         # The Quick Mail
Transfer Protocol
z3950           210/tcp         wais            # NISO Z39.50 database
ipx             213/tcp                         # IPX
imap3           220/tcp                         # Interactive Mail
Access
rpc2portmap     369/tcp
codaauth2       370/tcp
ulistserv       372/tcp                         # UNIX Listserv
ldap        389/tcp                     # Lightweight Directory Access
Protocol https           443/tcp                         # MCom
snpp            444/tcp                         # Simple Network Paging
Protocolsaft            487/tcp                         # Simple
Asynchronous File Transfer
npmp-local      610/tcp         dqs313_qmaster  # npmp-local / DQS
npmp-gui        611/tcp         dqs313_execd    # npmp-gui / DQS
hmmp-ind        612/tcp         dqs313_intercell# HMMP Indication / DQS
exec            512/tcp
login           513/tcp
shell           514/tcp         cmd             # no passwords used
printer         515/tcp         spooler         # line printer spooler
talk            517/tcp
tempo           526/tcp         newdate
courier         530/tcp         rpc
conference      531/tcp         chat
netnews         532/tcp         readnews
uucp            540/tcp         uucpd           # uucp daemon
afpovertcp      548/tcp                         # AFP over TCP
remotefs        556/tcp         rfs_server rfs  # Brunhoff remote
filesystem
klogin          543/tcp                         # Kerberized `rlogin'
(v5)
kshell          544/tcp         krcmd           # Kerberized `rsh' (v5)
kerberos-adm    749/tcp                         # Kerberos `kadmin' (v5)
webster         765/tcp                         # Network dictionary
ingreslock      1524/tcp
prospero-np     1525/tcp                        # Prospero
non-privileged
datametrics     1645/tcp        old-radius      # datametrics / old
radius entrysa-msg-port     1646/tcp        old-radacct     #
sa-msg-port / old radacct entry
radius          1812/tcp                        # Radius
radacct         1813/tcp                        # Radius Accounting
cvspserver      2401/tcp                        # CVS client/server
operations
venus           2430/tcp                        # codacon port
venus-se        2431/tcp                        # tcp side effects
codasrv         2432/tcp                        # not used
codasrv-se      2433/tcp                        # tcp side effects
mysql           3306/tcp                        # MySQL
rfe             5002/tcp                        # Radio Free Ethernet
cfengine        5308/tcp                        # CFengine
bbs             7000/tcp                        # BBS service
kerberos4       750/tcp         kerberos-iv kdc # Kerberos (server) tcp
kerberos_master 751/tcp                         # Kerberos
authentication
krb_prop        754/tcp                         # Kerberos slave
propagation
krbupdate       760/tcp         kreg            # Kerberos registration
kpasswd         761/tcp         kpwd            # Kerberos "passwd"
kpop            1109/tcp                        # Pop with Kerberos
knetd           2053/tcp                        # Kerberos
de-multiplexor
eklogin         2105/tcp                        # Kerberos encrypted
rlogin
supfilesrv      871/tcp                         # SUP server
supfiledbg      1127/tcp                        # SUP debugging
poppassd        106/tcp                         # Eudora
mailq           174/tcp                         # Mailer transport queue
for Zmailer
ssmtp           465/tcp                         # SMTP over SSL
gdomap          538/tcp                         # GNUstep distributed
objects
snews           563/tcp                         # NNTP over SSL
ssl-ldap        636/tcp                         # LDAP over SSL
omirr           808/tcp         omirrd          # online mirror
rsync           873/tcp                         # rsync
swat            901/tcp                         # Add swat service used
via inetd
simap           993/tcp                         # IMAP over SSL
spop3           995/tcp                         # POP-3 over SSL
socks           1080/tcp                        # socks proxy server
rmtcfg          1236/tcp                        # Gracilis Packeten
remote config server
xtel            1313/tcp                        # french minitel
support         1529/tcp                        # GNATS
cfinger         2003/tcp                        # GNU Finger
ninstall        2150/tcp                        # ninstall service
afbackup        2988/tcp                        # Afbackup system
icp             3130/tcp                        # Internet Cache
Protocol (Squid)
postgres        5432/tcp                        # POSTGRES
fax             4557/tcp                        # FAX transmission
service
  (old)
hylafax         4559/tcp                        # HylaFAX client-server
protocol  (new)
noclog          5354/tcp                        # noclogd with TCP
(nocol)
hostmon         5355/tcp                        # hostmon uses TCP
(nocol)
ircd            6667/tcp                        # Internet Relay Chat
webcache        8080/tcp                        # WWW caching service
tproxy          8081/tcp                        # Transparent Proxy
kamanda         10081/tcp                       # amanda backup services
(Kerberos)
amandaidx       10082/tcp                       # amanda backup services
amidxtape       10083/tcp                       # amanda backup services
isdnlog         20011/tcp                       # isdn logging system
vboxd           20012/tcp                       # voice box system
jserver         22273/tcp
binkp           24554/tcp                       # Binkley
asp             27374/tcp                       # Address Search
Protocol
tfido           60177/tcp                       # Ifmail
fido            60179/tcp                       # Ifmail
linuxconf       98/tcp

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 02:41:21 GMT

"Donovan Rebbechi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 23:21:15 GMT, sfcybear wrote:
> >In article <KKBP5.7785$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>
> >NOT ONE as bad as BN. Ther is a range of skill sets and management Ideas
>
> I've had NFS servers on Linux where the kernel based NFS server would
choke
> every day or two, and you'd need to reboot it. This was on a stock
> distribution. Of course, I had the brains to install a userland server
> and have experienced better reliability as a result.

I've just always run the latest release from:
ftp://ftp.valinux.com/pub/software/VALinux on any machine
that needed to be an NFS server and used their
kernel version.

> However, the point is that any system can be unreliable if you hand it to
> an incompetent admin.

On the other hand, some systems don't have *any* source for a
reliable copy.

> A single instance of NT/Win2k performing badly doesn't prove anything
unless
> you know how it's being administered.

We know there are problems on any NT with less that sp6a applied,  but a
good admin should have done that long ago.