From: JM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Hatred?
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 23:12:07 +0200

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001 09:16:42 +0000, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>JM wrote:

>> Misinformation? As far as you know, they may have been using Windows
>> machines that crash all the time. I for one have come accross some
>> Windows programs that can crash the entire system.
>>
>> As far as we know, YOU may be the one emitting "misinformation".
>> No-one can prove a thing accross the Internet.

>My point was that they are saying Windows this all the time. Period. No
>qualification. No "on my system". That's misinformation.

And they never said on EVERY system.

>> >How about "shithead" or "liar" or "Wintroll". Those are the REAL insults!

>> Or "linsux" or "Penguinistas", or swangomoree's infamous 500 line
>> "Linux sux the big wazoo!".

>I never use insults in my posts - until I've been insulted first, then
>they're fair game.
>
>Besides, I don't believe Linux sucks.

I still can't get over that "Linux sux the big wazoo!".

That really took the piss.

------------------------------

From: JM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Strange passwd
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 23:12:08 +0200

On Tue, 02 Jan 2001 23:42:37 +0800, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>I installed 2 Turbolinux at 2 separate machine A and B. I want to make
>some users who do not need a password when they are login.

>In Machine A, I tried as following:
>
>>passwd -d user123
>>passed -S user123
>Changing password for user user123
>Empty password.
>
>(and I can login this user without a password.)

>In Machine B, I got something different as following:
>
>>passwd -d user123
>>passed -S user123
>Changing password for user user123
>No Password set.
>
>(and I CAN'T login with this user without a password.)

>Why this happened? The two machines are have same linux version and same
>config, and I tried to delete the problem user in machine B, and
>recreate again, but problem still exists.
>Thanks for any helps!
>
>Martin.

Try going into /etc/passwd and deleting everything from the user123's
password field.

------------------------------

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does Linux envy Microsoft?
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 23:10:33 GMT

What a bunch of horse pucky. From MS and from you.

In article <92tmm8$ojo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  hackerbabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> A quote from http://microsoft.aynrand.org/hate.html, referring to why
> Microsoft has been persecuted in the anti-trust trial:
>
> "There is only one fundamental reason why great businessmen [like Bill
> Gates] or great companies [like Microsoft] are hated, and it has
> nothing to do with so-called monopolies. [Microsoft is] hated . . .
> because [it is] good, that is, smarter, more visionary, more creative,
> more tenacious, more action-focused, more ambitious, and more
> successful than everyone else.
>
> Haters of the good [competing OSes and browsers] do not want the less
> able to be raised up to the level of the great producers (which is
> impossible); they want the great producers to be brought down. They
> want to use government coercion to cripple the greatest minds so that
> lesser minds will not feel inferior."
> --------
> Is there any truth to this accusation of envy, or are there other
> reasons people dislike Microsoft?
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Martin Eden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: EXCLUSIVE: Hacker Steals Redhat Linux Source Code
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy , alt.linux.sux
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 23:21:42 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> Martin Eden wrote:

> > > Translation:  Keldon Warlard realizes he's been outsmarted.
> > >

> > By someone who (by his own admission) can't get Windows to start up?
>
> IF Windows crashes on boot up, that's not MY fault,

Considering that I am one of about three million consumers who doesn't have
this problem, I'd say the facts are on my side...I'd offer to help you but
you seem to be posting with it now. Glad you are enjoying the wonderful
world of Microsoft.

>moron.

You seem upset 8*) That's good: it means I hit the nail on the head.

> > I'd say you two are in a league of your own 8*)
>
> Windows crappy behavior is universally recognized by all but a few
> LYING zealots like yourself.

Wow! A zealot! A liar! Care to back up your random accusations with facts;
or shall we file this in with all the similar posts from you? (ROFLMAO)

> Hope that helps, asshole.

A laugh a minute. Weren't you nominated for "kook of the month" last year?

>Aaron R. Kulkis
>Unix Systems Engineer

A "Unix Systems Engineer" who finds several hours a day to post to usenet
(running Windows 98, no less). Oh no, don't tell me, you are required to
use Win98 at your job as "Unix Systems Engineer", right?

LOL!!!

>DNRC Minister of all I survey

I rest my case.

------------------------------

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Re:Microsoft is 20-years BEHIND other OS vendors
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 23:20:12 GMT

And Linux isn't?

Linux is just now getting a handle on comprehensive and intuitive GUI
interfaces.  Apple pioneered this field, Microsoft copied it.  XFree86
attempted to give it to UNIX for free (and is just now getting a handle on
that) and a truely intuitive and FUNCTIONAL GUI is still not totaly
available.

Windows lacks things.  Linux lacks things.  And which lacks in more
(desktop) functionality?  LINUX.

------------------------------

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.microsoft.sucks,alt.linux.sucks,alt.linux.slakware
Subject: Re: Global Configuration tool (WAS: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it
does) )
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 23:22:20 GMT

I don't care if it's developed on a sheet of paper.

I just want it to work, look good, and be simple to operate.

Linux programs seem to be developed on UNIX, maintain their UNIX looks, and
never go past "it works, but it looks terrible" phase.

A failed concpet in open source: USER INTERFACE.

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.microsoft.sucks,alt.linux.sucks,alt.linux.slakware
Subject: Re: Global Configuration tool
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 23:27:14 GMT

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Chris Ahlstrom
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sun, 31 Dec 2000 14:58:05 GMT
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> I'm not the one who has to pound one's head against the wall in
> >> frustration begging manufacturers to support Linux.
> >
> >Maybe you should learn to write a driver for your favorite device(s).
> >Contribute instead of complaining.
>
> Assuming he's technically knowledgable and the specs are available.
> Obviously, this is not a given -- I'd have trouble writing a good
> driver, although at least on Linux I can poke around in the source
> code for many similar examples, and no doubt a few books have been
> written on how to do so.  (I have a book on how to write a Unix
> driver, but it's almost useless for Linux; the technology's
> too different.)
>
> And a few manufacturers used to require NDAs for board specs;
> I don't know if this is still an issue, or not.

You're right, of course.  I was just a wee peevish abut his
whinin'.

Chris

--
Patiently awaiting the denouement of the Howie Long and
Terry Hatcher saga.

------------------------------

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Who LOVES Linux again?
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 23:26:05 GMT

Fine, whatever.

It "can't".

Next time a Linux machine locks up.  I'll just remind it it can't lock up,
and we'll all see if that fixes it.

After all, your logic dictates that a 32bit enviroment controlling the
interupts FOR the BIOS can't lock itself out, and loose control of those
signals too.

So, it "should" not lock up, ever.

But then, Linux "should" be able to replace Windows on the desktop.  Oh
well, not all "shoulda, coulda, woulda" statements are true.

------------------------------

From: hackerbabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Profitability of Linux being a challenge
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 23:23:28 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "JSPL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I can hear the weeping and wailing of the Linux advocates
> now! Their supposed 3% (actually .03%) share of the desktop market
> will be7
> eliminated as though it was never there.
> http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2000/October/os.html

> > Where do you think most of the 8 million Linux users
> > came from?
>
> 8 million? Divide that by ten and you'll be getting warmer.

This seems like an argument that says, in short:
"What ever is most used by the masses must be the best.  You want what
is best.  Therefore, use Win98, since the most people use it on
thecounter.com."

The masses don't know best for this individual.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks.
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 23:27:20 GMT

Typing "help" under the console seems to bring up a list of commands.

Running text mode apps helps too.

news:Orf46.53155$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 18:35:43 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
Subject: Re: Operating Systems? Where would you go next?

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> To tell you the truth, I've never even SEEN an xedit manual.

http://www.s390.ibm.com:80/bookmgr-cgi/bookmgr.cmd/BOOKS/HCSD9A00/CCONTENTS?SHELF=HCSH2A10

http://www.s390.ibm.com:80/bookmgr-cgi/bookmgr.cmd/BOOKS/HCSE0A01/CCONTENTS?SHELF=HCSH2A10

Gary

------------------------------

From: Martin Eden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
does) )
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.microsoft.sucks,alt.linux.sucks,alt.linux.slakware
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 23:39:07 GMT

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> I don't care if it's developed on a sheet of paper.
>
> I just want it to work, look good, and be simple to operate.
>
> Linux programs seem to be developed on UNIX, maintain their UNIX looks,
> and never go past "it works, but it looks terrible" phase.
>
> A failed concpet in open source: USER INTERFACE.

Have you used KDE2? I am loving it. I hardly ever run afterstep anymore,
which I liked better than KDE1.1.x

You are right that Unix has a long way to go to catch up with Microsoft,
but it is getting there.

In the beginning there was MacOS, which was pretty looking and quite
unstable under the surface. Then there was Windows 95, which had a much
less functional GUI, though even the first release of Win95 was far more
stable than MacOS. Eventually Microsoft caught up.

I think it will take a while, but the Open Sourcers are on the right track.
Eventually the GUI's will be as functional as Microsoft and Apple...it is
only a matter of time.

------------------------------

From: Martin Eden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 23:48:33 GMT

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> Fine, whatever.
>
> It "can't".
>
> Next time a Linux machine locks up.  I'll just remind it it can't lock up,
> and we'll all see if that fixes it.
>
> After all, your logic dictates that a 32bit enviroment controlling the
> interupts FOR the BIOS can't lock itself out, and loose control of those
> signals too.
>
> So, it "should" not lock up, ever.
>
> But then, Linux "should" be able to replace Windows on the desktop.  Oh
> well, not all "shoulda, coulda, woulda" statements are true.

I don't think people like our favorite pseudo "Unix Systems Engineer" are
even worth conversing with (unless you are looking for some cheap
entertainment).

It is really a case study in the classic masochistic personality. He shows
up in "alt.linux.sux" with an obsolete set of non-sequitur arguments
looking for attention.

The phenomenon is not unlike the unwashed people you see on the street
getting in people's faces begging for change. They appear with their own
version of a "kick-me" sign and beg for the abuse they miss from their
earliest and most formative years.

Interesting from a psychological perspective, and oftimes entertaining, the
masochists are not terribly enlightening.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Form@C)
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 23:54:35 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

<snip>

>>               Many of these people don't know what a CLI is remember,
>>               never
>> mind how to use one!
>
>That's their own fault.

Why is it that that was exactly the sort of idiotic remark that I have come
to expect from you? I was rather hoping that you had more sense.

Are you completely unwilling to accept that the majority of computer users
just don't care about operating systems? That, for them, the best operating
system of all is completely invisible? That the command line interface is
of absolutely no use whatever to them? Do you happen to have tweaked the
source code of the electronic engine controller in your car via its CLI? Do
you install regular security updates into your mobile phone?

Don't show youself up. The contributors to this group have one thing in
common. They all know, in approximate terms anyway, what an OS is and what
it is used for. We are *not* representative of the majority of desktop
computer users.

For the end user anything which gets in the way of the application which
he/she is using is *wrong*. In other words, if you need to control the OS
directly to start, use or end an application then that OS is a bad one.

Even installing and removing software is only acceptable as a function of
the OS if it is carried out by someone trained for the task - not the
application user. If desktop shortcuts to scripts on a GUI interface do
this then fine, the user can do it. But those routines have to be as bomb-
proof as possible!

Are you seriously saying that a business should train every one of its
computer users to use a CLI? That if those users can't use a CLI then they
are in the wrong job because "That's their own fault"? Just think beyond
your own, blinkered vision in your ivory tower. There are *millions* of
computer users out there! Microsoft has produced a nice, comfortable
interface to the OS for them. How do you expect to entice them away from it
and back to a command line? Do you really think that businesses care *how*
their word processors work as long as the *do*, as cheaply as possible and
with the absolute minimum of training?

CLIs are great for servers. Currently you *need* the control that they can
give - a GUI can help with the more mundane tasks though. Please don't take
us back to the time of DOS though, when everything was done through a CLI
and batch files. We have progressed a long way since then, lets *use* the
technology to its best advantage, by *improving* the user interface and
hiding the OS as much as possible.

--
Mick
Olde Nascom Computers - http://www.mixtel.co.uk

------------------------------

From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 12:58:56 +1200

Hi JM,

> >> Or "linsux" or "Penguinistas", or swangomoree's infamous 500 line
> >> "Linux sux the big wazoo!".
>
> >I never use insults in my posts - until I've been insulted first, then
> >they're fair game.
> >
> >Besides, I don't believe Linux sucks.
>
> I still can't get over that "Linux sux the big wazoo!".
>
> That really took the piss.

Is this the "legendary" post:

http://x54.deja.com/[ST_rn=ps]/getdoc.xp?AN=649111565&CONTEXT=978479619.1591
410708&hitnum=50

---

"LINUX SUX THE BIG WAZOO!"

I HAVE PLUGGED AND PLUGGED AND PLUGGED BUT LINUX JUST WILL NOT PLAY.......

 I NOW HAVE TWO SOUNDCARDS, TWO MODEMS, TWO MICE AND WIN98 WILL PLAY WITH
THE LOT
 WITHOUT ANY FUSS.

 LINUX ON THE OTHER HAND OFTEN STALLS ON THE "REAL MODEM" THE IMWHEEL PATCH
IS SHIT, IT
 DOESN'T WORK ON EVERYTHING AND JUST MIMICS THE PAGE UP/DOWN BUTTONS SO U
ARE
 SCROLLING BY PAGES AT A TIME - THE ONLY THING SCROLLING WORKS FOR IS
NETSCAPE, BUT WHO
 CARES BECAUSE NETSCAPE IS A SLOW ASS BROWSER. DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON
THE SOUND
 CARD - I BOUGHT A SB LIVE CARD BUT LINUX SHITS ITSELF IF I ASK IT TO
CONFIGURE THE DAMN THING.
 IT SAYS - YOU WANT ME TO DO WHAAAATTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!! THEN TO CONFIGURE MY
ZIP DRIVE I APPARENTLY
 NEED A DEGREE IN I.T. TO WRITE A SCRIPT IN 'C' FOR IT TO WORK. DIGITAL
CAMERAS --- FORGET ABOUT
 IT --- LMFAO.

 ANOTHER THING THAT REALLY PISSES ME OFF IS THE FACT THAT I CAN'T EASILY
COPY AND PASTE
 BETWEEN APPLICATIONS. NETSCAPE WONT PASTE IN ANYTHING FROM ANYWHERE!!!!!

 IN NETSCAPE A PAGE WITH AVERAGE GRAPHICS / AD'S ETC. TAKES ABOUT 2 MINUTES
TO LOAD
 WHEREAS IN I.E. UNDER WIN98 IT TAKES 5 SECONDS ---- SAME MODEM!!!!!!

 OVERALL I HAVE FOUND THE "CLONES" FOR APPLICATIONS THAT I NORMALLY USE IN
WINDOWS
 AMATURISH AND RIDDLED WITH BUGS.

 THE SECURITY IS GOOD BUT WHO THE FUCK NEEDS IT FOR A HOME PC.

 LINUX HAS A HELL OF A LONG WAY TO GO BEFORE IT BECOMES USEFUL TO THE
EVERYDAY HOME /
 SMALL BUSINESS USER.

---

Frankly it doesn't appear that spectacular.

Regards,
Adam