From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 07:41:49 GMT

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:MCIQ5.8699$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > > My my but we are getting nasty today.
> > >
> > > You're starting to sound like jedi :(
> > >
> > > Pretty soon you might start adding the word "hardly" to every
> > > sentence.
> > >
> > > claire
> > >

> > But it really is very simple to install wine.   If you can't do it, then
you
> > have no brain:
> >
> > rpm -Uvh wine*.rpm
>
> This is brain dead? Why not rpm wine*.rpm?
>
> Why not have one wine file, why are their multiple?
>
> What's -v and -h for? Yes, I'm sure that it's all in the docs (if
> there are any), but seriously, simply extract an rpm file I must
> really have THREE command line arguments?

Nahh... If you want, you could have more!
Free OS / Free Country
Knock yourself out!

> How many are required to get a listing of the contents of the rpm?
> 8? 9?

Hmmm.... rpm -qilp wine*.rpm

                     four

> > man wine.conf
>
> Ah yes, two things here:
>
> - man the always unintuitive, vague, and rarely helpful Jargon-o
> Machine that seems to only really assist the people who actually
> developed the application you're attempting to get assistance for.
>
> And "man"? I want "help" or "assistance". The term "man" is
> completely back-asswards. Like everything, I guess, in Linux and
> Unix.

alias help='man'
alias assistance='man'

Good Grief.....

> - The ever confusing, never consistent, and rarely in order .conf
> files.
>
> > follow the instructions to adjust wine.conf for your local environment.
>
> You call those instructions?!

I take it you're the type of person who gets impatient with microwave
popcorn.

--
Tom Wilson
Registered Linux User #194021

They're operating systems...Not religions
GET A LIFE!

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 17:43:51 +1000

"Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8uvvmk$pdc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Bruce Schuck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : Limited function? Shortcuts are great!
>
> Their funcitionality is a subset of the functionality of symbolic
> links in Unix.

OTOH, links only have a subset of the functionality of shortcuts.

What's say we call it even ?

> Symbolic links in unix point *any* filename at
> *any* other file on the system, not just executable programs.

Shortcuts can point to any filename on any disk as well.

> I can make a link for a program *or* a data file, and that link
> is at a lower level than a shortcut in Windows, such that it works
> almost everywhere on the system, not just in the GUI.  (The only place
> where symbolic links don't work like normal files is in those places
> where the programs were written to *deliberately* detect their presence
> and treat them specially, such as when making archives with 'tar'.
> And even then, you can fool such programs by making an even lower-level
> link called a hard-link.  With hard-links both the original filename
> and the new filename have equal precedence - neither one is the main
> filename anymore after the link is made, they are peers.)

Shortcuts are somewhat limited because they operate at the shell level, but
that does offer them certain advantages links do not have.

For example:
Shortcuts can point to printers, computers, URLs etc.
You can make a shortcut to an object, move the shortcut to another drive and
it will still resolve.
You can make a shortcut to an object, move the shortcut to another computer
and it will still resolve to the original object on the original computer
and access it (assuming the other computer has appropriate permissions).
You can make a shortcut to an object on a remote computer, disconnect from
that machine and the shortcut will re-connect to it if necessary to resolve
the shortcut when you open it (assuming correct permissions etc).

Aliases on MacOS and Shadows on OS/2 have similar pros/cons vs links, for
the same reasons.

> Shortcuts are handy, no doubt, but they only cover a small subset of
> what can be done with unix symbolic links, which is why they look
> like they have limited functionality to someone used to unix.   If
> you don't try to compare them to symbolic links, then sure, they
> do a fine job.  Something doesn't lose functionality just because
> something else is better.

It's an invalid comparison because a) they operate at totally different
levels (filesystem vs shell) and b) have almost completely different
features and purposes.  About the only similarity they share is that both
can point to files.

------------------------------

From: "Frank Van Damme" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Silent Computer :(
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 08:49:02 +0100

In bericht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Peroreerde "mlw"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> [snippage]
>
> Finding a single issue and saying it is a system wide issue is a bit
> self serving for your purpose, isn't it?
>
> There are many installation issues with Windows which fall under the
> term difficult. Just upgrade to an ATI RAGE IIC in a functioning Windows
> 98 box and many things will stop working. Why? because they can't
> allocate a suitable frame buffer. Make sense? of course not, it isn't
> supposed to. It means that ATI only supports a newer version of
> direct-draw, different from what is currently installed, and you must
> download a new version and install that from Microsoft.

Two days ago, I tried installing windows 98 on someones computer.
Installed. reboot. hung. Tried it over. Hung. Tried the '95. reboot.
runs. installed drivers. reboot. Install more drivers. reboot. Turn of
the computer and go home. The morning aftrwards: hung. No error messages,
not a hint of what was going wrong. _Very_ user-friendly.

> For every installation issue in Linux, you can easily find worse ones
> from Windows.
>
> This is why I always say installation is not usability. People with
> knowledge of the systems must do an install. Chances are, with either
> system, your install will be fine, but it is not guaranteed.
>
> Once up and running, Linux is more problem free, more predictable, more
> stable, and way more easy and fun to use.

Perfectly making my point.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: OT: Could someone explain C++ phobia in Linux?
From: Ketil Z Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 07:58:57 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi) writes:

> Read "Design Patterns" (Gamma et al) or "C++ Programming Styles and
> Idioms" (Coplien) some time. C++ is a very flexible and powerful
> language. If you learn how to use it, that is.

Yes, and that's my main criticism.  It is a huge paradigm shift from
C, but it is packaged and marketed as just tacking on a feature or two
to your regular C programs.

I'm sure Qt is a good example of how it is possible to implement
clean, workable programs in C++.  However, I only need to turn on
<checks we're still in a linux advocacy group> my NT box to see
hundreds of bloated, error-prone applications, demonstrating how hard
it is to get it right.

When you're developing on the level of abstraction that you need
object orientation, you need to have a langauge that supports high
level concepts - and C++ does - while shielding the developer from the
details - which C++ doesn't.

-kzm

From: Michael Livshin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 16 Nov 2000 10:04:05 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi) writes:

> On 15 Nov 2000 23:39:16 +0200, Michael Livshin wrote:
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi) writes:
> >
> >> I'm not saying you should use C++ without polymorphism. I'm pointing
> >> out that you don't need to use much manual memory management in C++.
> >
> >any non-zero amount is enough for me, thankyouverymuch.
>
> You're trying to dismiss the issue with a hand wave, but that doesn't cut
> it.

it depends on what you consider the issue.  if your issue is "but C++
is better than C" then sure.  what I'm saying is that C++ doesn't
solve the memory management problem completely, and for me it means it
doesn't solve it at all.  this is because the effects of your typical
fandango on core or a stack smash are not localized.

> Could you be explicit about what information is "thrown away" ? What
> run time information is C lacking ? You can check if a base class pointer
> really points to a given derived class object. You can get the typeid.
>
> What precisely are you complaining about ?

lack of adequate reflection.  I don't think I should be more explicit
here -- if you don't see the need, so be it.

> And are there nontrivial examples where your complaints produce
> real problems ?

mostly not problems per se, but random inconvenience and irritation.
I don't like the fact that the compiler knows many interesting things
and chooses to tell me none of them.  if you think it's OK, you
deserve your politicians, whoever they are.

the lack of reflection facilities can be a real problem, too.

> >I don't mean exceptions.  I mean real errors.  ones that lead to
> >segfaults in C/C++ apps, since the stupid app just has no brains to
> >cope with "out-of-bound" situations.
>
> You could install signal handlers.

yeah, yeah.  in a signal handler, you can access a lot of information
in a portable way. ;)

and it sure helps a lot when your heap is messed up.

> However, judicious use of exceptions should be able to handle most of
> these "errors".

you should be programming for DOS with this attitude.  I mean, who
needs memory protection?

> >oh, by the way: can you continue from a C++ exception?  (answer: no).
>
> What do you mean by "continue from a C++ exception" ?

I mean before unwinding the stack, ask the user whether he would like
to ignore the condition or maybe tweak something, and then continue as
if nothing happened.

> In C++, there are a lot of idioms that one can use instead of using casts.
> If you're trying to use C++ as though it's Smalltalk or Java, I can see why
> you find it painful. It requires a different approach.

actually, the first non-C language I seriously used was C++.  so I
know it requires a different approach.  and I don't like the approach,
since I find myself working with the language instead of formulating
my problem.  you *can* do better, believe me.

> >I'm afraid you are wrong here.  C++ is criticized because it sucks.
>
> Well, that's the kind of attitude I'm talking about. Most C++ users don't
> feel the need to run around saying that other languages "suck".

gee, the contentless generalizations again.  bye.

*plonk*

--
(only legal replies to this address are accepted)

I'm sorry, the teleportation booth you have reached is not in service at
this time. Please hand-reassemble your molecules or call an operator to
help you....

------------------------------

From: Michael Livshin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 16 Nov 2000 10:08:20 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi) writes:

> Read "Design Patterns" (Gamma et al) or "C++ Programming Styles and Idioms"
> (Coplien) some time.

what makes you think I didn't read all this trendy shit?

now I try to use languages that don't need extra-linguistic "patterns"
and other such band-aid.  I try to use languages that have flexible
syntax and allow meta-programming, so any "pattern" can be implemented
in the language if need be.

and the life is much better.

> C++ is a very flexible and powerful language. If you learn how to
> use it, that is.

you should try learning something else too, it's good for you.

--
(only legal replies to this address are accepted)

Roses are red,
  Violets are blue,
I'm schizophrenic...
  And I am too.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux + KDE2 = 8)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 08:20:56 GMT

In article <_qoQ5.20554$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > In both cases, the hosts file is identical.
>
> I don't really understand this part.  My first guess is that you have
> misspelled either an entry in your host file or a host name in
> a connection request or something along those lines.  If you
> have all the relevant names in your hosts file, DNS should
> never be called.  If you are curious, you can run tcpdump
> (or pick up ethereal if you want something pretty) and monitor
> port 53/udp to see the requests.

No, both hosts files are identical and I can ping either machine without
any problems on either machine.

> > In the Linux case I tried to do the same. I setup the network card
as
> > the local network, and the ISP in Kppp.
> >
> > Now I find the ISP DNS is being left in /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> That is definately a bug, but avoidable by running your own
> name server and using it all the time instead of twiddling
> resolv.conf when you dial.

I don't plan to run DNS on the Linux box.

Since every except smb: in konqueror works, I think I'll leave it well
alone. smbclient works fine, and I've seen others reporting similar
problems in KDE2 as mine.

> > Please tell me why Windows is doing the wrong thing? It looks to me
like
> > its doing the _right_ thing in this case.
>
> It is OK for a single machine, and since windows doesn't use DNS much
> itself, you can get by with a few others on the net.  Add a few more
> and run some internet apps on them and you'll want full-time DNS
> locally - but it doesn't hurt to have it even on a single machine.

Even with a small network, I still think you can get away with just a
host file on each machine. Unless you want the machines all to have
internet access, then I'd agree there needs to be a DNS server
somewhere.

--
---
Pete

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 08:23:18 GMT

In article <8v007h$pdc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Again, I can't toot it's horn enough on this, but wvdial
> works excelently as a dialup.  Sure it's CLI, but it's
> highly configurable, and quite verbose about what it's doing,
> which makes debugging problems easier.  One thing it does is
> that it catches all the death signals (except 9 of course) and
> shuts down the connection cleanly.
>
> You have to 'kill -9' it in order to make it shut down in an
> ugly, sloppy way.  Everything else makes it shut down nicely.

It's my choice to use Kppp. Since everything is working (except smb: in
konqueror) I'll carry on as I am.

Besides, you're recommending a CLI application and I prefer GUI apps
over CLI ones.

--
---
Pete

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 03:26:36 -0500

Christopher Smith wrote:

> "Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8uvvmk$pdc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy Bruce Schuck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > : Limited function? Shortcuts are great!
> >
> > Their funcitionality is a subset of the functionality of symbolic
> > links in Unix.
>
> OTOH, links only have a subset of the functionality of shortcuts.
>
> What's say we call it even ?

Because that is insane.

symbolic links are a PROPER SUPERSET of shortcuts.

> > Symbolic links in unix point *any* filename at
> > *any* other file on the system, not just executable programs.
>
> Shortcuts can point to any filename on any disk as well.

Really.

Try saving data to a shortcut that points to the actual data file
and get back to us.

> > I can make a link for a program *or* a data file, and that link
> > is at a lower level than a shortcut in Windows, such that it works
> > almost everywhere on the system, not just in the GUI.  (The only place
> > where symbolic links don't work like normal files is in those places
> > where the programs were written to *deliberately* detect their presence
> > and treat them specially, such as when making archives with 'tar'.
> > And even then, you can fool such programs by making an even lower-level
> > link called a hard-link.  With hard-links both the original filename
> > and the new filename have equal precedence - neither one is the main
> > filename anymore after the link is made, they are peers.)
>
> Shortcuts are somewhat limited because they operate at the shell level, but
> that does offer them certain advantages links do not have.
>
> For example:
> Shortcuts can point to printers, computers, URLs etc.
> You can make a shortcut to an object, move the shortcut to another drive and
> it will still resolve.
> You can make a shortcut to an object, move the shortcut to another computer
> and it will still resolve to the original object on the original computer
> and access it (assuming the other computer has appropriate permissions).
> You can make a shortcut to an object on a remote computer, disconnect from
> that machine and the shortcut will re-connect to it if necessary to resolve
> the shortcut when you open it (assuming correct permissions etc).
>
> Aliases on MacOS and Shadows on OS/2 have similar pros/cons vs links, for
> the same reasons.
>
> > Shortcuts are handy, no doubt, but they only cover a small subset of
> > what can be done with unix symbolic links, which is why they look
> > like they have limited functionality to someone used to unix.   If
> > you don't try to compare them to symbolic links, then sure, they
> > do a fine job.  Something doesn't lose functionality just because
> > something else is better.
>
> It's an invalid comparison because a) they operate at totally different
> levels (filesystem vs shell) and b) have almost completely different
> features and purposes.  About the only similarity they share is that both
> can point to files.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 03:31:33 -0500

Bruce Schuck wrote:

> "Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Bruce Schuck wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> IE?

> any

> > > Aaron is a Sun "Engineer". He prefers machines that crash.
> >
> > Then he should select MS powered machines, which crash
> > without need of hardware problems.
>
> Not the one I works with. And Microsoft doesn't black mail Sun users with
> non discosure agreements that essentially say: "We'll try harder to fix this

Really?

Try publishing an "unhappy Microsoft experience" on company letter
head, and watch how quickly Microsoft has your company in court
for violating the EULA, which specifically states that the corporation
MAY NOT publish *anything* disparaging about Microsoft's products...
EVEN IF IT'S TRUE.

> problem if you keep quiet about it. Talk about it and we won't."
>
> What a bunch of scumbags.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 03:34:00 -0500

Sam Morris wrote:

> If you actually had done that you would have seen something similar to this:
>
> C:\>help
>
> For more information on a specific command, type HELP command-name.
> ASSOC    Displays or modifies file extension associations
> AT       Schedules commands and programs to run on a computer.
 [et cetera]

not on Lose95 nor Lose98

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 03:39:38 -0500

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > > My my but we are getting nasty today.
> > >
> > > You're starting to sound like jedi :(
> > >
> > > Pretty soon you might start adding the word "hardly" to every
> > > sentence.
> > >
> > > claire
> > >

> > But it really is very simple to install wine.   If you can't do it, then you
> > have no brain:
> >
> > rpm -Uvh wine*.rpm
>
> This is brain dead? Why not rpm wine*.rpm?
>
> Why not have one wine file, why are their multiple?
>
> What's -v and -h for? Yes, I'm sure that it's all in the docs (if
> there are any), but seriously, simply extract an rpm file I must
> really have THREE command line arguments?

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww poooooooooor baby.

Grow up, shit-head.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.