From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.linux.sucks
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:46:03 -0500

Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft;
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft;
>
>> You are supposedly providing evidence of a free market in Windows
>> software.  Until Microsoft's illegal activity is mitigated, I see no
>> real reason to believe that there is a free market in Windows software,
>> whether that is replacement, modification, or extension of
>> functionality, or "skins", as you naively put it.  The fact of the
>> matter is that trying to replace or extensively modify the Windows
>> desktop is a self-defeating proposition, in terms of the majority of
>> users.  It simply isn't worth the trouble, given the penchant that
>> Microsofties have for blaming all of Windows' problems on third parties,
>> as a convenience to the monopoly.
>
>You mean that they changed the settings and now can't get used to how this
>look like?

No.  I mean they change the settings, and then have to wonder just what
might have caused the three mysterious crashes that occurred weeks
later, and so they either back out the mods, and/or they later have to
reinstall everything, and stick with the default, to save themselves the
hassle.

>> If you are willing to say that any problems I might have using
>> WindowBlinds may be *Microsoft's* fault, then it might be conceivable to
>> suggest that WindowBlinds be used.
>
>I don't think I'd problems with window blinds, 1.x leaked memory like hell,
>(tested it on win98, I think) , this version seem much more stable.
>So, it seems to me that I don't have anybody to blame for windowblinds
>problems, because there aren't any.

I don't bother trying to troubleshoot closed code.  It works or it
doesn't, and usually it doesn't.  You've dodged the question.

>> But considering that monopolies
>> result in crap software, there is simply too much risk, and not anywhere
>> near enough benefit, in bothering with any such stuff.  Market reality
>> supports this position; you can hardly expect this small handful of
>> moderately functional desktop software which is putatively available to
>> compare to the large number of complete desktops, GUIs, and window
>> managers available on alternative systems.  Windows is used on many many
>> many more systems, yet the market demand for modified desktops seems
>> rather anemic, at best.
>
>Maybe because *gasp* people don't want to customize their computers?

Yea, right.  You must be new at this.

>Linux model is "change everything that you like."

No, "change anything that you like."

>A lot of people *don't want to do this*.

Everyone wants to.  Most people don't know how.  The few that do have
been trained by Microsoft to not bother.

>LiteStep is open sourced, free of course, quite good, I believe. Why people
>don't use it?

Because brain-dead GUIs are a silly idea fit only for children and
newbies.  Most people, despite claims to the contrary, prefer
functionality to visual appearance.

>Probably because most people don't want a different desktop, they want one
>that they already know and are familiar (to some extent, what other people
>call familiar with I would barely call passing knowledge) with.

Most people are willing to settle for what they can get, sure.  Thanks
for your persuasive defense of mediocrity.  Most people just want their
car to work, and prefer some familiarity in terms of where to put the
gas in and how to make it go.  Oddly enough, this doesn't make the
market for cars a natural monopoly.

>> Now, one could suppose that this is because actually trying to use a
>> modified desktop on Windows is not feasible.
>
>Or simply not fun for most users?

Its not fun for any users, on Windows.  That is, indeed, the point.
Only people "born and raised", so to speak, in the post-Microsoft world
are ignorant of the fact that modifying your desktop has always been the
most fun you can have with a computer.  Before Internet porn, at least.

>> Or, one could assume that
>> it must be because Windows is just so damn good that not very many
>> people are interested in using a modified desktop.
>
>This isn't my position, I know that there are probably better ways to do it.
>My arguement isn't about the quality of windows' interface, it's about the
>users' desire to change it.

You cannot use "user's desires" in a coherent argument in a monopoly
market.  You have no valid data with which to make any comparisons which
might illuminate, statistically or anecdotally, what "user's desires"
might be.

>I've been pointed to flaws in my car analogy, that while all cars has brakes
>& gas pedals in the same place, other things are different, I think you need
>to ponder about this.

Listen, kid.  I've been "pondering" the fricken' car analogy,
*professionally*, since 1987.  Computers are not cars.

>What is more easy to drive? You own car, or some car that is better than
>your car, but would take some learning to get used to?

The better car, of course.

>When you are provided with a new interface, even superior interface, you
>need to learn about it. (BTW, this is one of the reasons that I think that
>linux has a little way to go before it could be used by the average person.)
>Most people *don't want to*.

Imagine.  I wonder why they buy all those books, then.  I wonder why
microsoft.com is the busiest site on the net.

You simply, and naively, vastly underestimate the amount of value there
is in microcomputers.  New users, those who have more to learn than you,
you think, *want*, _desperately_, to learn.  Then MS knocks the shit out
of them for a couple years, and they give up.  So now the market is full
of nicely trained ruminants, people who "don't want to" have a better
car because it means they'll have to learn how to use it.

What people want is a system worth learning.  Those who weren't weaned
on monopoly crapware know damn well what learning is all about; they're
the ones who hate microsoft and recognize its products as crapware.
They are more than willing to learn, given any benefit to doing so.

>>  I do respect your
>> opinion, Ayende, but it seems that the latter is more probably your
>> position.  The situation reminds me somewhat of a common joke in the
>> electronics shops I used to work in in the Navy, where we would amuse
>> ourselves by saying that light-bulbs work by sucking the darkness out of
>> the air.  Once the bulb was filled to capacity, it had to be replaced.
>> A scenario that might not seem entirely counter-intuitive, but is
>> nonetheless entirely incorrect.
>
>Funny joke.

Logic alone is not sufficient to disprove the theory.  One needs the
abstraction of particle physics, in fact, to be able to grasp why
lightbulbs are not "dark suckers" that get full sooner or later.
Similarly, one has to grasp the abstraction of competitive versus
anti-competitive behavior in order to see why Windows is not an OS
"standard" which benefits the marketplace by providing a singular
platform for developers and consumers alike.

Sign the petition and keep Deja's archive alive!
http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.linux.sucks
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:46:09 -0500

Said Curtis in alt.destroy.microsoft;
>Ayende Rahien wrote...
>> > Or, one could assume that
>> > it must be because Windows is just so damn good that not very many
>> > people are interested in using a modified desktop.
>>
>> This isn't my position, I know that there are probably better ways to do it.
>> My arguement isn't about the quality of windows' interface, it's about the
>> users' desire to change it.
>> I've been pointed to flaws in my car analogy, that while all cars has brakes
>> & gas pedals in the same place, other things are different, I think you need
>> to ponder about this.
>> What is more easy to drive? You own car, or some car that is better than
>> your car, but would take some learning to get used to?
>> When you are provided with a new interface, even superior interface, you
>> need to learn about it. (BTW, this is one of the reasons that I think that
>> linux has a little way to go before it could be used by the average person.)
>> Most people *don't want to*.
>
>A very important point. Another is that average users like to know that
>their friend around the corner is using the same OS so that they can help
>each other. When I bought my Mom her computer, she expressly refused a
>Mac for this reason, even after telling her that many find it easier to
>use than Windows.
>
>My sister, a lawyer, gets upset when I make basic changes to her system.
>She would certainly flip her lid to the prospect of a different user
>interface. Her usual comment would be, "It took me some time to get used
>to the present setup. Why are you interfering with it?"
>
>You see, part of the problem with a lot of us comp
>(experts|hobbyists|professionals) trying to understand the average user
>who does most other things than tinker and show above average interest in
>their computers and how they can get them to work better, is that we fail
>to be able to really understand how they think.

Well, as I mentioned in my previous post, this very particular issue has
been my bread-and-butter for the last twelve years.  I am not a tinkerer
by nature, though I like to rig things to be efficient for repetitive
tasks.  I study how average end users (including home users) think, and
I must say without false modesty that I understand how they think.
Allow me to explain it to you.

Yes, it is a problem with comp experts/advocates/professionals that they
don't understand how casual/amateur/end users think.  But the reason
this is a problem is not so much that you expect they wouldn't question
"why are you changing it?" or wanting the same thing everyone else has,
but that you don't know how to answer.

Of course, if you did know how to tell your sister why you are
interfering, or calm you're mom's fears that a Windows PC gets better
"round the corner" support than a Mac, you'd know the reason they are
using Windows has nothing to do with technical decisions, professional
or amateur, but with legal issues of restraint of trade and
monopolization.

>One problem I had with my
>mother when she taught me how to drive was that she always assumed that
>my abilities could not exceed hers. IOW's if she cannot do a particular
>manoeuvre, then I couldn't. If she took a long time to master an ability
>then I shouldn't be able to learn it in a snap. It's the same thing I'm
>seeing here. If I see the problems with Windows, and furthermore make the
>necessary effort to learn an alternative and install it, then the average
>user will or should show a similar interest.

Perhaps you've confused the average user with someone who wants to spend
a lot of time making up for someone else's deficiencies in designing a
computer OS.  I think maybe you just have your own private concerns
about what amount of effort is "necessary".  People aren't stupid; they
know that adding things to a Windows computer is a good way to get the
third degree from the local Micro-brained weenie next time you ask them
why it crashes on occasion.

"Have you installed any shareware?  Any new drivers?  It must be a DLL
from an application vendor.  What version of IE do you have?  Which
service pack?  Have you replaced the hardware to see if that's the
problem?..."

>If they don't then they're
>just lemmings or a conspiracy theory is formulated as the cause of the
>Windows dominance.

The conspiracy theories are formulated as results of Windows dominance.
The cause isn't a conspiracy theory; just simple monopolization and
tying.

>MS became a monopoly because they know how people
>think. I do agree that since becoming a monopoly, they have exercised
>some strong arm tactics to further their monopoly. However, to me, just
>as how Stephen King will today write shit, and it still becomes a best
>seller, the Windows user base will continue to expand despite any great
>effort on MS's part.

You notice Stephen King isn't the only horror writer around, though he
may be the only one you've heard of.

MS became a monopoly by acting anti-competitively (the only way you can
do it in a free market).  It is illegal to attempt to monopolize, so
that's a crime right there.  So you pretend that Windows is wonderful
and we haven't suffered more than a decade of almost complete
suppression of innovation and development in the PC markets because of
Microsoft's criminal behavior, and its all just a great marketing job
and most people are sheep.  Just don't expect me to consider it a
reasonable opinion.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.linux.sucks
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:46:12 -0500

Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft;
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft;
>> >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>files...
>in

>> >You want to add Notepad option for all file types, right?
>>
>> No, I wanted to be able to open any file with Notepad, at my option.
>
>Okay, here is how you do it.
>Start>Run> "Regedit"

No, here is how you do it.  Put a shortcut for "notepad" in the SendTo
folder.

Thanks for your time.  Hope it helps.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:46:21 -0500

Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft;

>"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Ayende Rahien wrote:
>

>> > That should bring notepad as alternative for all files on the computer,
>> > (right click, and it would appear)
>> > If you don't want it this as a default action for unknown file types, go
>to:
>> > "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Unknown\shell" and change the default value there
>> > "(Default)" to "openas"
>> > This should do it.
>>
>> So when does it begin to get "INTUITIVE" ????
>
>Tools>folder options>file type

AAAGGHGHGHHGHHHHH!

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:46:28 -0500

Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft;
>"Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:8ukj1n$241f1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >I can't tell. Reason is, KDE (and linux, for that matter) has *really*
>> lousy
>> >support for the languages I need.
   [...]
>I don't care.
>I don't live in china.

So you're going to complain because something doesn't support your
language (something middle eastern, I recall), but when somebody uses
china as an example in a discussion of language support, your response
is "I don't care, I don't live in china?"

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.linux.sucks
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:46:48 -0500

Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft;
>"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >
>> > I'm sorry, Ayende, but if you come to alt.destroy.microsoft (even
>> > through cross-posting, I'm afraid) and start talking about how "W2K
>> > works for me," you *are* a Winvocate.  As I've said before, you seem to
>> > be a pretty reasonable person, and I don't want to insult you, but if it
>> > walks like a duck...
>>
>> At the very least, noone can deny Ayende is a Win2kvocate.  He has stated
>> many times his distaste for the 95 line... (is there anyone who actually
>> LIKES this OS?  Seriously?)
>
>I don't know.
>I don't really mind being a Win2K Advocate, it's being thought of as
>Aaron-like sort of advocate that bothers me.

There isn't an "Aaron-like sort of advocate."  Just "Aaron".  ;-)

No worries; just don't be an obnoxious pig-headed right wing extremist,
and you'll be fine.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.linux.sucks
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:47:08 -0500

Said . in alt.destroy.microsoft;
   [...]
>Is there anyone out there who understands the limited dos command line,
>who can explain why this doesn't actually echo to the file?  Does DOS
>consider the second >> to override the first >?

Actually, '>>' is "append" in DOS, just like in Unix.  I don't know why
Ayende seemed to be using it as a redirect of stderr.  AFAIK, DOS
doesn't have any such thing as stderr.  Perhaps all this changes in W2K.
I'm using NT now, and I'm familiar with DOS back to 2.x.

C:\>move sdf

C:\>move sdf >> null

C:\>copy con test
test
test
test
^Z
        1 file(s) copied.

C:\>copy test >> null

C:\>dir *.
 Volume in drive C is TMAXNT7KC
 Volume Serial Number is 3007-12D6

 Directory of C:\

07/01/99  11:30a        <DIR>          WINNT
07/01/99  11:35a        <DIR>          Program Files
07/01/99  12:03p        <DIR>          TEMP
11/26/99  02:16p        <DIR>          WITNWISE
07/01/99  01:24p        <DIR>          etc
12/13/99  10:47p        <DIR>          tmp
11/18/00  02:00a                    67 null
11/18/00  01:59a                    18 test
10/21/99  09:20p                   288 Copy of boot
07/01/99  02:40p        <DIR>          usr
07/01/99  05:01p        <DIR>          pub
              11 File(s)            373 bytes
                            338,591,744 bytes free

The >> seems to work the same as the >; the null file above was
"compiled" from several test commands not shown.  Attempting to execute
"type null" caused a "file cannot be copied onto itself" error (!), but
then it deleted just like a normal file.  Now lets hope my system
doesn't mysteriously start crashing every twenty minutes.  :->>-

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:47:36 -0500

Said Erik Funkenbusch in alt.destroy.microsoft;
>"Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> I agree with you that it's a very unlikely thing to happen. Maybe it's
>> related to other unlikely conditions. Perhaps you've noticed that in NT
>> if you alter your network setting it turns out that your shared
>> directories still appear to be shared (the icon is that of a shared
>> thing) but actually they aren't. You must remove the sharing and then
>> share again. At this point the folder or the drive is again visible
>> netwise (rather crappy, but it works like that).
>
>Actually, it's supposed to work that way.  The folders *ARE* still shared,
>they're just shared to a non-existing IP network binding.  The reason for
>this is that you might change or remove the network binding and then
>re-install it (say, you're installing a second network card, and you want to
>make sure it works before removing the other one, then changing the bindings
>back to the first for the new card).

I'm sure any other badly designed OS would do it the same way.

>If you did that, all your network shares would be deleted.  So it's a
>give-and-take situation.  Neither way of doing it would work for everybody.
>It just turns out that the way you want it to work is not the way they
>chose.

Turns out that no other OS needed to be this broken, either.  You seem
to be under the impression that we care what silly justifications MSCEs
use to explain why its crappy software, in relation to the fact that its
crappy software.  How about if it didn't "bind" any software services to
NIC cards, and just did it the right way, how's that?  And when it
doesn't, you just say "Well, it doesn't work like that because MS
couldn't figure out how to do it correctly."  OK?

>> I only mentioned it because Ayende appeared not to believe that a BSOD
>> may come out of a drag-and-drop operation (which actually I too have
>> experienced a few times). So I brought forward my experience of an even
>> simpler operation which *may* produce a BSOD.
>
>Are you talking about NT4 or 2000?

IT DOESN'T MATTER, Mr. MS-Apology.  We're not trying to engineer why its
a piece of crap (let alone explain it away, as you seem intent on
doing.) We're just swapping stories about how much of a piece of crap it
is.  You're fantasy troubleshooting exercises and retroactive
explanations for "why" is humorous, to the extent it is not annoying.
Perhaps you should prune the newsgroups line to include either coma or
adm, but not both. ;-)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: OT: Could someone explain C++ phobia in Linux?
Date: 21 Nov 2000 15:44:05 GMT

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 03:54:10 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>While I agree with you, that's actually a bit unfair.  cout.write() is
>equivelant to puts() rather than printf().

Just tried it using puts(), and write(). It's still slower than
cout.write() on my system.

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:49:06 -0500

Said PLZI in alt.destroy.microsoft;
   [...]
>Can you guess by now, why I like the WSH, ASP and all those little other
>three-letter acronymes that come with Windows platform?

Because they're the only way you understand how to do things, and are
not concerned with how crappy the OS is, otherwise?  Just a guess.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:49:58 -0500

Said Bruce Schuck in alt.destroy.microsoft;
   [...]
>Create a shortcut with any command line flags you want in windows.
>
>Easy. Intuitive.
>
>Set your own icon if you want to make it easier to remember.

How do I create a shortcut with a command line flag from the command
line?  If I copied the icon to another system, would it still work
correctly?  (I'm pretty sure it would, but over ten years of
experiencing all the millions of little "gotchas" you boys don't want to
address leads me to question this, even knowing how little good it will
do in avoiding crapware "features".)

   [...]
>Powerful stuff.
>
>Coming soon to the Windows 9x crowd as Whistler. Linux? Whats a Linux? Oh
>yeah. That OS for geeks that no one ever used on the desktop.

Given an illegal monopoly on OS preloads and decades of time, even
crapware can pretend to catch up to real computer systems.  Maybe around
W2004, Windows will be comparable to "that OS for geeks" which is
currently killing W2K in the market (where possible with the illegal
monopoly pre-load contracts still in place.)