Linux-Advocacy Digest #342, Volume #32           Tue, 20 Feb 01 04:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited (J.B Moreno)
  Re: Joke of the day - from Microsoft (mlw)
  Re: Microsoft is fired. (Tim Hanson)
  Humor from Alan (Tim Hanson)
  Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ] (lurker)
  Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ] (Klaus-Georg
Adams)
  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Joke of the day - from Microsoft ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Linux web pads? (Aaron Kulkis)
  XFS, was Re: ReiserFS (unicat)
  Re: Humor from Alan (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else (Aaron Kulkis)
  Wednesday 21 February 2001 NYLUG Meeting: Michael Sims, Timothy Lord, and Natalie
Portman examine freedom^Wlicense in a decently networked world ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: New Microsoft Ad :-) ("Francis Van Aeken")
  Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ] (Andy Newman)
  Re: Whistler/.NET will Help Linux (Ed Allen)
  Re: Whistler/.NET will Help Linux ("Erik Funkenbusch")

comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J.B Moreno)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 02:18:26 -0500

Andrew J. Brehm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ZnU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew J. Brehm) wrote:
-snip GPL has strings attached, limiting projects-
> > > No, it is the other licenses that limit the kinds of projects into
> > > which GPLed code can be incorporated. The GPL discriminates against
> > > nobody.
-snip-
> > Please. This is one of the most absurd statements I've ever seen. It's
> > blatantly false. You can use GPLed code in a project only if you wish to
> > release that entire project under the GPL. BSD and many other licenses
> > have no such restriction. GPL is viral. These other licenses are not.
>
> What is the problem with releasing the entire project under the GPL as
> opposed to releasing it under a BSD license?

Uhm, you seem to be combining the two "project"'s in the above.

Say Project One is a Text Editing Library (something like WASTE).

Say Project Two is a Text Editor.

If Project One is under GPL then the Project Two must also be under GPL.
OTOH, if Project One is under BSD then Project Two needn't be BSD or GPL
or anything else in particular.

BSD gives the people developing Project Two more choices, more choices
are good.

Not that you didn't know this already.

--
JBM
"Moebius strippers only show you their back side." -- Unknown

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Joke of the day - from Microsoft
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 02:38:37 -0500

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> mlw wrote:
> >
> > Aaron Kulkis wrote:

>and of
>if he was
>which

>with

>Angleles.

> > [snip]
> >
> > GW is still an idiot.
>
> So, you conced that Gore and Klinton are either both idiots
> as well, or traitors.

I concede nothing of the sort, the issue is that GW is a moron, which I believe
to be true. Everything else is just stuff you would rather debate, which we are
not debating at the time.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft is fired.
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 07:33:05 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Peter Köhlmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > >
> > > Just because you're not aware of it, doesn't mean it's not documented.
> > > Hell, .lnk is also hidden.
> > >
> > > Scrap files (.shs) is documented in knowledge base entry Q138275.  My
> > > January 2000 copy of MSDN shows a last review date of October 31st 1999.
> > > Although it doesn't mention that the extensions for SHS files are
> hidden,
> > > it does mention that they're special OLE shell objects, which if you
> know
> > > anything about the shell, you know that extensions for shell objects are
> > > hidden.
> > >
> > Well, Erik, there you got one which certainly tells all the world how
> right
> > you are.
> > knowledge base entry Q138275
> > Aha.
> > That is something which even the dumbest windows-luser MUST know about.
>
> Why do you people insist on changing the subject?  The subject was about
> Virus writers using undocumented features of Windows, presumeably gained
> through viewing stolen Windows source code.  This is not about average
> windows users knowledge, but whether something is documented or not.

You mean when Ballmer said all the APIs were public, he was lying??

--
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying
of nothing.

------------------------------

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Humor from Alan
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 07:30:23 GMT

Here's a good one from Alan Cox.  It's on today's set of patches:

Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 19:14:40 +0000 (GMT) From: Alan Cox
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux 2.4.1ac19

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/alan/2.4/

"An innovation a day keeps the monopolist away"

------------------------------

From: lurker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Subject: Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ]
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 07:57:47 +0000

http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame63.html

>Perhaps you should start calling it Not so secure shell (NSSSH).

Nope, that's for NAI/NSA's PGP v7.x

------------------------------

From: Klaus-Georg Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Date: 20 Feb 2001 08:57:30 +0100

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

> It's still just telnet, but it's encrypted. You're still just telneting
> through a "secure" tunnel.

Should you really have grasped the concept of SSH? Of course it is
just telnet (to the user that is). Underneath it is completely
different, but it offers the functionality of telnet and then some
over a secure channel.

So what where you saying?

--
kga

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 08:49:46 +0100

In comp.os.linux.misc Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.misc [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> On 16 Feb 2001 23:36:41 GMT, Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>In comp.os.linux.advocacy Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>>: That's why Materialism is hopelessly flawed. We all know that JFK
>>>: was shot, but can't repeat the experiment. How do we go about
>>>: proving a historical event.
>>>
>>>WTF does that have to do with materialism?

>>      Whether or not JFK was shot or not is a question of history.
>>      The techniques of historians are not the subject of this discussion.

> I though we were disscussing how does a person "know" something?

> Many have claimed that a repeatable experiment is the only way.

> I've given an example of a fact that can not be repeated and can't
> be proven with the Scientific Method.

Well, we can test your hypothesis. If JFK was not shot, then he must
have been alive after the event, no? In that case the body buried
might not have been his. So  go and do a dna test. They just did
it for the russian royal family remains, it should be a doddle for
jfk.

But there are simpler tests. Just ask lots of people if they saw jfk
alive after the event. And ask the people who filmed him being
shot how shot he was. You can also ask his wife how she managed to get
legal permission to remarry! Whilst these are not conclusive tests,
they can take the probability of error down to negligable values.
I think he's dead, with a very high degree of certainty.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 07:57:39 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bruce Scott TOK wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, mlw
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> >So, his school is probably like his life, a sure bet for failure
>> >without the help of his father.
>>
>> The reason he was such a goof off is probably that he knew from
>> childhood that he would have his life handed to him on a platter.  Much
>> like his father.
>
> Did Ma Richards hand him the Texas Governorship on a platter?
>
> Did Gore/Loserman hand him the presidency on a platter?

Yes, they in fact did...

> {Well, ok, yeah...maybe they did....what with their fucked up,
> anti-worker philosophy of high-taxes and all}

Correct!
You are absolutely correct!

--
Tom Wilson
Sunbelt Software Solutions

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux web pads?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 03:04:13 -0500

Ian Pulsford wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>
> <crop>
>
> I posted too quickly and didn't crop properly, I was referring to the
> web-fridge; some people might want one with a recipe website as the
> homepage.

Surfing the web for a recipe  != composing e-mail

> IanP

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 03:09:40 -0500
From: unicat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: XFS, was Re: ReiserFS

Well, why not go get XFS now?

SGI has been good enough to port and open-source their
formerly proprietary journaled filesystem, along with other
goodies like OpenGL (talk about betting the farm on linux).

There's also beowulf clustering software (ACE), an Apache
accelerator, and soon failsafe reliability clustering...

http://www.sgi.com/linux

And if you'd like to show SGI that you appreciate them,
you could always buy a server from them, or maybe
get your employer to send you to one of their excellent
linux classes...

C'mon, there's got to be someone out there in the Linux
community that has two nickels to rub together....

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Humor from Alan
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 03:10:46 -0500

Tim Hanson wrote:

> Here's a good one from Alan Cox.  It's on today's set of patches:
>
> Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 19:14:40 +0000 (GMT) From: Alan Cox
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Linux 2.4.1ac19
>
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/alan/2.4/

Nothing particularly humorous there...are you sure that's
the right URL?

> "An innovation a day keeps the monopolist away"

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,soc.singles
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 03:13:53 -0500

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>      Whether or not JFK was shot or not is a question of history.
> >>      The techniques of historians are not the subject of this discussion.
>
> > I though we were disscussing how does a person "know" something?
>
> > Many have claimed that a repeatable experiment is the only way.
>
> > I've given an example of a fact that can not be repeated and can't
> > be proven with the Scientific Method.
>
> Well, we can test your hypothesis. If JFK was not shot, then he must
> have been alive after the event, no? In that case the body buried
> might not have been his. So  go and do a dna test. They just did
> it for the russian royal family remains, it should be a doddle for
> jfk.
>
> But there are simpler tests. Just ask lots of people if they saw jfk
> alive after the event. And ask the people who filmed him being
> shot how shot he was. You can also ask his wife how she managed to get
> legal permission to remarry! Whilst these are not conclusive tests,
> they can take the probability of error down to negligable values.
> I think he's dead, with a very high degree of certainty.

Unless the body is at the Heisenberg Institute...

in which case, he might spontaneously re-animate for VERY VERY
brief instances

:-)

> Peter

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Wednesday 21 February 2001 NYLUG Meeting: Michael Sims, Timothy Lord, and
Natalie Portman examine freedom^Wlicense in a decently networked world
Date: 20 Feb 2001 03:22:54 -0500

One of the strengths of the Free Software Movement is the extraordinary
speed with which large forces of irregulars may be assembled and shipped to
any contested node of the Net.  It is said that we have won some ground by
sheer terror, the Enemy deserting the field the moment the deep joyous
ground shaking roar of our horde is heard.

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-02-19-007-06-OP-CY-HW

But what exactly is the logistical infrastructure that supports such
remarkable tactical efficiency?  Surprisingly often the whole drilled down
below the brainstem manoeuvre begins with a simple troll on Slashdot.  And
among aficionados of the troll, the Sims-Lord-Portman troll is known as a
classic.

Official NYLUG notice below.

Jay Sulzberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org

  edit-level="light">

      *** New York Linux Users Group February 2001 Meeting ***
                        - NYLUG.org -

            A Day in the Life of a Slashdot Poster
                          - with -
             Michael Sims and Timothy Lord of /.

 2/21/2001
 Wednesday
 6:30pm-8:00pm
 IBM Headquarters Building
 590 Madison Avenue at 57th Street
 Check in at lobby for badge and room number

 Please join us for a glimpse into "A Day in the life of a Slashdot
 Poster". Our presenters will be michael (Michael Sims) and timothy
 (Timothy Lord) of /. fame. Timothy and Michael will discuss Slashdot's
 history, what it's like working on one of the busiest sites on the Web,
 and other issues of importance to the Linux and Open Source community.
 http://www.slashdot.org

 As a special treat, attendees will be given an inside look into the new
 "Bender" release of Slashcode, the Perl programming that produces the
 Slashdot site.  Also, thanks to Peter Norton, who will be providing us
 with wireless mobile Internet access so that we can peer into the dark
 corners of Slashdot at the meeting.
 http://www.slashcode.com

 About Slashdot...

 Slashdot, the "News for Nerds, Stuff that Matters" weblog site, serves
 about 30 million page views per month. Slashdot is also a committed Linux
 shop, running the site on VA Linux servers under Debian Linux.

 Slashdot is also helping fund development efforts with the mySQL team to
 add database replication and rollback capabilities to mySQL, one of the
 most widely used SQL engines under Linux.

 Prepare to be Slashdotted!
 http://slashdot.org/faq/slashmeta.shtml#sm600

 Stammtisch:
 And then after the meeting... Join us around 8:15pm or so at the Typhoon
 Brewery & Restaurant located at 22 East 54th Street between Madison and
 5th Aves.

 March 2001 Meeting Preview:
 We are pleased to announce that Donald Becker, known to most as the
 source of NIC drivers that actually work, and to many as the Beowulf
 Guy, will be returning to NYLUG in March.  Donald is the Chief
 Technical Officer and acting president of Scyld Computing Corporation,
 which develops and supports high performance computing solutions based
 on Open Source systems such as Linux Beowulf clusters.
 http://www.scyld.com

 Please see our home page at http://www.nylug.org for the HTMLized
 version of this announcement, complete with graphics and additional
 hyperlinks to related information.

 February 2001 - The New York Linux User's Group, NYLUG.org

 Jim Gleason                VA Linux Systems
 email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.valinux.com
 phone: 212-858-7684        President, New York Linux Users Group
 fax:   212-858-7685        http://www.nylug.org

------------------------------

From: "Francis Van Aeken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 09:32:17 +0100

Mike Martinet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> The crux of any discussion concerning Windows performance as a server
> has to revolve around DOS.  And that's not a derogatory statement.  It's
> a decision THEY, Microsoft as a company, made for marketing reasons - to
> leverage their installed desktop base into server sales.

> If you were to go out and design server software, you would not base it
> on an intentionally crippled, home-use OS.

NT is based on DOS now?

It's comforting to see that Linux advocates continue to be as well informed
as they always were.

Francis.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Newman)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 08:56:40 GMT

Klaus-Georg Adams wrote:
>Should you really have grasped the concept of SSH? Of course it is
>just telnet (to the user that is). Underneath it is completely
>different, but it offers the functionality of telnet and then some
>over a secure channel.

Guys. SSH replaced rsh/rlogin, not TELNET.

Subject: Re: Whistler/.NET will Help Linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Allen)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 09:01:01 GMT

In article <Xqmk6.374$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I happen to agree that people in their garages can overthrow MS.  Most Linux
>people seem to think they can do just that.  Congress and the DOJ doesn't
>seem to think that is true.

    What you don't seem to understand is that Microsoft is lying about
    how likely it is that a few people in a garage will survive long
    enough to affect them.

    They have demonstrated, repeatedly, they are willing to do whatever
    it takes, short of physical violence, to eliminate a potential
    threat before it impacts their position.

    They will coerce partners, suppliers, banks, and the press into
    attacking whatever they think is dangerous.

    This will not be the last attempt to paint a false face on Linux.
    They will keep trying different lies until they get the reaction
    they want.

    As for the "kids in a garage", the lie there is that the fewer than
    twenty people could create an OS and Apps to run on it fast enough
    to catch up to Microsoft and their more than ten year head start.

    A garage, even a large one, cannot hold more than about twenty
    workers is hardly a credible threat to the 5000+ programmers at
    Microsoft.

    Linux is different because it has tens of thousands, perhaps even
    hundreds of thousands of developers, some full time but most cing
    time.

    They are donating their efforts at programming, debugging, and
    educating future developers.  Those donations add up to billions of
    dollars of capital up front which no garage operation could manage
    and no commercial firm, not even IBM, could risk stockholder suits
    as they poured money into years of development without a single
    return to duplicate.

    Open Source will eventually topple Microsoft whether the program is
    Linux or something else.  These are impassioned people who are
    willing to contribute what little they can because it gets returned
    many times over.

--
How much do we need to pay you to screw Netscape?
        - BILL GATES, to AOL in a 1996 meeting

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 03:16:22 -0600

"Ed Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <Xqmk6.374$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >I happen to agree that people in their garages can overthrow MS.  Most
Linux
> >people seem to think they can do just that.  Congress and the DOJ doesn't
> >seem to think that is true.
> >
>     What you don't seem to understand is that Microsoft is lying about
>     how likely it is that a few people in a garage will survive long
>     enough to affect them.

[ followed by...]

>     Open Source will eventually topple Microsoft whether the program is
>     Linux or something else.  These are impassioned people who are
>     willing to contribute what little they can because it gets returned
>     many times over.

Do you enjoy contradicting yourself?