From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone have to use (*GAG*) Windows on the job?
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 00:14:50 -0500

Patrick Raymond Hancox wrote:

> > Just do what I do.
> >
> > In every interview, I say the magic words:
> >
> > "Be aware, I will not take responsibility for failure of anything running
> > on or produced on a machine running using any crud produced by Microsoft."
> >

> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > ICQ # 3056642
> >

> Candidate displays major attitude problem and expresses a desire to
> cherry-pick assignments.

This is MY way of weeding out projects that are DOOMED to fail.

> Recommendation: NEXT!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 00:15:48 -0500

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 02:15:22 -0800, Patrick Raymond Hancox wrote:
> >
> >> Just do what I do.
> >>
> >> In every interview, I say the magic words:
> >>
> >> "Be aware, I will not take responsibility for failure of anything running
> >> on or produced on a machine running using any crud produced by Microsoft."
>
> >Candidate displays major attitude problem and expresses a desire to
> >cherry-pick assignments.
>
> Not at all. He's protecting his own interests. If he believes that a certain
> system is unreliable, he would be stupid to put himself in a situation where
> he is responsible for that systems reliability.

Precisely.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 00:23:12 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Nov 2000 17:10:37 GMT, Mike wrote:
> >

> >Without going into the historical context, what customers demand is an
> >editable document.
>
> They may or they may not. It depends on the type of document.
>
> HTML is editable (and modern word processors can import it).
>
> RTF is also editable and can be created on any platform.
>
> --

I use the RTF format to save documents I make on my laptop. I use
AbiWord and I email the files to my Yahoo account. When I get to school
I download the files from my Yahoo account, open the files in Word, and
then print them out.

Simple and effective.  I get to use a product I like on the platform I
like and only have to use Word for printing.  What a wonderful way to do
homework :P

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 00:26:13 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

this must explain why microsofties are so uptight and crabby. THeir
programs are always crashing and they get behind on their work which
makes their stress level rise and they begin to sweat and get snappy
when the deadline rolls around :)  That would be called being in tune
with your OS. The OS makes you that way. Cause and effect I guess. Good
relationship, lol

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Corel To Dump Linux?
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 05:20:59 GMT

"mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

< snip >

> I have yet to see one product, ever, made by Corel that was any good.
> The fact that Corel is dropping Linux after an investment by Microsoft,
> is, however, interesting.

Considering the "quality" of their Linux port, we owe MS a bit of gratitude
for this.

--
Tom Wilson
A Computer Programmer who wishes he'd chosen another vocation.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 00:24:57 -0500

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Nov 2000 17:49:46 -0500, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>
> >1) Considering that vi only uses main-keyboard keys (regardless
> >       of QWERTY vs. Dvorak issues.....why, exactly?
>
> The movement keys are placed sensibly in vi (hjkl), this would
> no longer be the case on a different keyboard.

No problem.  just use keyboard mapping.

> But like I said, <map> is your friend. One could always remap the
> command mode bindings so that the key positions were the same as
> those on the 'qwerty'.

Some of the mnemonics might change.

However, my research on the QWERTY vs Dvorak debate has turned
NO test showing incresed productivity for Dvorak keyboards
other than the ones conducted BY Lieutenant Dvorak himself
in 1942-43.

"Network effects" do not hold water.  Look at how we transitioned
from leaded gasoline to unleaded gasoline....relatively painlessly.

If there were truly any increased productivity from Dvorak
typewriters, IBM would have produced a QWERTY/Dvorak
selector switch on the IBM selectric.

Since NOBODY was able to reproduce Dvorak's results, the issue
should be forgotten.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 00:26:59 -0500

Stephen Howe wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > The DOS command line sucks, because it is poorly implemented.
> >
> > In contrast, the Unix command line interfaces are works of pure genius.
>
> But you are talking about a shell, that is all.
>
> Why put up with COMMAND.COM crap from Microsoft? I have used 4DOS from
> JPSoft which has had filename completion via Tab, Shift-Tab for over 10
> years, command line history, directory history, directory stack, builtin
> move, zillions of dir options, colourisation of files in dir listings etc.
> In has tons of features that make working from the command line a joy. See
>
> http://www.jpsoft.com/h4dos.htm
> and click on 4DOS 3.00 (7-Mar-1990) to see this.
>
> They do command processors for DOS, OS/2, NT, other flavours of Windows.
>
> And as mentioned by The Ghost in the Machine, older Unix's did not have
> this. I would not surprise me to find out that some of the Unix shells have
> borrowed ideas from 4DOS and siblings.

probably bash and zsh... or vice versa.

csh, ksh, and tcsh all had this [exce file colorization] before 1988.

> Download a copy for OS/2 and see if you like it.
>
> Stephen Howe

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 00:31:16 -0500

"B. P. Uecker" wrote:

> Matt Gaia wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >You've obviously never heard of hardware probing, have you?  Any OS will
> >probe whatever hardware is on your system to see what is on there (like
> >your BIOS, etc.)  By your previous posts, I can probably assume that you
> >don't have any knowledge of it besides maybe seeing the word "probing"
> >on your screen during a Windows setup, if you can even do your own setup
> >that is.
>
> Yeah, it probed your battery and broke it.  Was this before or after
> you dropped acid?

Last weekend, I probed your girlfriend for a couple of hours.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Bug-time.... where is NT?
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 00:37:19 -0500

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> > >
> > > Really, it is pretty tricky to get software to not leak,
> > > and Microsoft has as much trouble as anyone else.
> >                     ^^^^^^^
> >
> > you misspelled "more"
> >
> > Can you say "spaghetti code" ????
>
> You really must make your signature more concise, it's
> longer than St. Paul's letter to the Corinthians (who
> probably thought that St. Paul was the new gold vendor
> down the street).
>
> Anyway, I've never had a good feeling about Microsoft
> code in general.  It's often ugly, and the APIs
> take wayyyyyyyyyyyy too many parameters, including
> parameters that are pointers to structures or are
> "handles".  Definite spaghetti no matter how careful
> the MS programmer is.
>
> It arises from the Microsoft development philosophy,
> as explicated by the former Visual C++ team leader,
> Jim McCarthy.  <paraphrase>  When you commit to
> develop using Microsoft tools, you commit to a way
> of life.  The one thing we will do is change, and
> change rapidly.  This forces everyone to work hard
> to keep up, and gives us an advantage. </paraphrase>

And this is why it is so fucked up.

the code-base should EXPAND while preserving backwards
compatability.  This can be done EVEN if you add more
arguments in later versions of a library call.

Instead, rather than growing the code base, keeping
distinct lineages for each call, Microsoft instead
chooses to STIR the code base...

The ONLY reason being to *cripple* competitors products,
because those writing Word XXX will always know about
library changes, and even be able to test their code,
LONG before anybody at WordPerfect.

Same goes for any other software.

> Of course, this attitude is merely a formalized
> version of how things work in the real world.
> The price we pay is buggy code.... spaghetti code.
>
> Hell, I've written spaghetti code many a time, because
> I knew I would not be given the time to "do it right".
> I've found that growing an API works quite well for
> awhile.  Ultimately, it grows beyond my easy grasp,
> and new projects take longer.  At some point it is
> time to throw it out and regrow from a stronger position.
>
> Microsoft does this very well.  Again, though, the
> transition is always marked by an efflorescence of
> bugs.
>
> Chris

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: I have had it up to *here* with Linux
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 00:41:48 -0500

jason wrote:

> Must you quote the whole damn post?

It is required.

> --
> jason
> http://mindcritic.cjb.net
>
> "Keldon Warlord" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> <huge snip>

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 05:43:45 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8vmmm6$53o3k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <8vm8rq$567km$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien
wrote:

> > >Yes.
> > >Because the language thing is only a small reason why I like Windows.
> > >Unlike most people, I've a good knowledge in english, and I can handle
> all
> > >english system.
> > >I've experiance with several OS, including half a dozen or so linux
dist
> > >(excluding versions), I choose windows because it's the one best suited
> > >my need.
> > >
> > So why are you complaining about language support then?
>
> I made a passing note, and it became a big arguement.

That seems to be a pattern here. <g>

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Time for a Lynn bait.... here goes!
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 00:44:23 -0500

Frank Van Damme wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Matthew Soltysiak wrote:
> >>
> >> No instead your GUI manager will segfault and throw you back to the
> >> command-line.
> >
> > Which doesn't do a damn thing to the running windows.
> >
> > New GUI can pick up the existing windows, and continue on as before.
>
> Oh? How do you do that? Just in case KDE might crash.

KDE is merely the window MANAGER.  It neither creates nor destroys
windows....the application does that itself.

> > In fact, RedHat 5.2 allowed you to CYCLE through various GUI's, killing
> > one, starting another....one after another...
>
> Actually, every linux box with X on it does.

RedHat 5.2 (maybe others) specifically allowed you to choose a new
GUI from within the currently running GUI.

They had some option on the task-bar menu.

> > Never affected a running app in the slightest.
> >

> --
> Never underestimate the power of Linux-Mandrake
> 7.2 on an AMD K7 800 / 128.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: neJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux growth rate explosion!
Date: 24 Nov 2000 23:45:05 -0600

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:05:49 GMT, Tim Tyler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In comp.lang.java.advocacy Artur Biesiadowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: Chad Myers wrote:
>
>:> But it has to break up the database into seperate files or
>:> do some other fancy tricks right?
>
>: Excuse me, but do you think that keeping entire database in single file
>: is good idea ? Does oracle (which seems to be clear winner in terms of
>: scalibility) keep entire database in single file ? No [...]

Ever hear of Structured Storage???  Besides, what is a file system but
a crappy database?

------------------------------

From: neJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 24 Nov 2000 23:47:08 -0600

On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 21:43:25 GMT, Tim Tyler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Microsoft don't care two hoots about security - so of course this means
>nothing to them.

And yet look at the number of security problems in *nix systems -
those infamous DOS attacks weren't lauched from Windoze platforms, now
were they??

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2000 00:53:06 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another  happy Linux user

> > Yea, yea, I know, it's the machine, it's the user, it's that
> > particular distribution, Linux is the kernel, it worked in 5 minutes
> > for me, he should have read xxxxx amd so forth.
> >
> > Why is it that such simple things like dialing up to the internet
> > become missions of mercy when trying to run Linsux?
> >
> > claire
> I never had a single problem.  I know the port, address, irq and hey
> presto it's easy.  Linux is not for the non technically aware at the
> moment that's all!
> --

a non-technical person isn't going to know the port, address, or irq for
a device anyway if they have to configure it manually under Windows(they
won't know what any of those mean anway), so the same problem exists.
When a resource conflict arises they are going to have to know how to
fix it. If they don't they take it to a shop.  If they don't know how to
do it in Linux I'm sure they have a friend who knows what to do. When u
start using nontechnical people as a an arugment for people not being
able to use Linux you end up with a losing battle as nontechnical people
can't use Windows either.