From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant.
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 02:50:08 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>Charlie Ebert wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> >Call up 10 Fortune 100 companies and ask them what their standard
>> >desktop and mobile platform is and report back to us.
>> >

>> Let's read this statement again moron.
>>
>> "Linux is unfeasible at work"

>> >See above.
>>
>> Let's read this statement again moron.
>>
>> "Linux is unfeasible at work"

>> >No. He is a realist Charlie and backs up his statements with facts and
>> >not a blind zealot spouting off with no data to back up the claims.
>> >

>> What FACTS IDIOT!  The notion that Windows is a better option
>> for the office place than Linux is VAPORTHOUGHTS!
>>
>> IT's more expensive!  It's less stable!  It's a security threat
>> which even the U.S. Government has finally recognized!
>>
>> The ONLY reason Windows is still in Corporate America is
>> because middle aged FAT ASSES who drive Pontiacs are
>> currently in control!
>
>Ignorant management is it's own reward: bankruptcy.
>
>Coming soon to a MS-shop near you.

You need to see that they are ALL on the WIDE TRACK.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The real truth about NT
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 21:49:04 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 21:48:45 GMT, Tom Wilson
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >"Pete Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:b_m76.169449$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Ses you.
> >>
> >> There are other backup media than tapes. CD-R comes to mind.
> >
> >They do a pretty good job of archiving base OS installations and other small
> >amounts of data, true. They're far more portable than tape since most every
> >modern system has a multi-read CD-ROM that can read them.
> >
> >However, tape backups are superior in terms of speed, capacity, and
> >reliability. The last point assumes a good drive with quality media.
>
>         That's a VERY big IFF.
>
>         Infact, most tape media are crap. This is especially true

You're insane.  even as early as 1988, Exabyte drives were getting
over 500 passes out of off-the-shell 8mm video tape.

>         for consumer grade stuff. Any optical media is going to be
>         much more suitable if you actually want to get your data
>         back off again.

Never heard of Error Detecting and Correcting codes, have you.
Take a course in Discrete Mathematics, and get back to us.

Also, tape drives have vastly improved in the last few years.
Many now read a block as soon as it is written to verity the write.

> >When DVD writers become mainstream,  you'll see tape backups being
> >supplanted.
>
>         No, tapes will just get that much larger.

True.  Tapes are already hitting 60G capacity.

DVD isn't gonna come close to that without having to implement
autoloader.  Of course....Tapes already HAVE autoloader options,
so....

> --
>
>         Freedom != Anarchy.
>
>           Some must be "opressed" in order for their
>         actions not to oppress the rest of us.

>                                                                / | \

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 02:50:22 -0000

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 02:09:39 +0000, pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 21:13:12 +0000, pip
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[deletia]
>> >either under NT or Linux, so caching should not present a real problem).
>> >Linux and NT are not "designed" for this type of predictable data flow
>> >really (well, maybe RT Linux can be?).
>>
>>         Burning CD's should not be that timing critical.
>
>True. But if you are running a very loaded computer then this is the
>only
>real way to ensure that things don't go amiss.

        Very few people mastering CD's outside of the sort of enviroment
        where there would be a special machine dedicated to the purpose
        stress machines to the level where it should be an issue.

--

          The LGPL does infact tend to be used instead of the GPL in instances
          where merely reusing a component, while not actually altering that

          This dramatically alters the nature and usefulness of Free Software
          in practice, contrary to the 'all viral all the time' fantasy the
          anti-GPL cabal here would prefer one to believe.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: I am trying Linux out for the first time.
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 02:54:23 GMT

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 22:47:58 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:

>       What part of 'turn on computer' do you find so difficult?

Looking at it, but only if it is running Linsux.

Web pages look absolutely awful.

>[deletia]
>
>       As far as text files go: it is nice to have information
>       exposed to you rather than hidden from you. In this
>       respect, Linux hardware configuration is superior.

Sure it is. That is why you have to spend so much time doing it.

>       At least with Linux, you know whether or not Linux has
>       recognized a device completely and what it is.

As well as how badly it is going to function, if indeed it functions
at all.
Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Linux misseery cont.
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 02:55:51 GMT

>>Gnome is far from being point and clicky easy such as windows.  i don't
>>mean to affend you but I still think Gnome has a way to go.

I'm not going to give this man grief.  He was nice in his comment
and I think in general he should be left alone but I wanted to
say that as a PA for several years, I see no business functionality
given Windows which Gnome doesn't already provide.

I can drag, cut, paste even to a terminal window.
I can right click on anything and perform options.
Linux doesn't bluescreen like Windows does when you
push your OS in a HEAVY task.
My copy of Debian doesn't eat into my Daughters college
fund.

I'm not a slave to Microsoft and their licensing system
of certifications anymore.  Who needs that crap anyway.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: You and Microsoft...
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 21:55:37 -0500

Nigel Feltham wrote:

> >Clue for the clueless:  The only thing that matters is how well YOUR
> >PRINTER is supported....and whether you bothered to check out it's
> >performance BEFORE buying it.
> >

> Clue for you: look at www.cups.org and www.linuxprinting.org and if you can
> find any printer that doesn't have a suitable driver at either of these
> sites then you have a fairly rare device.

I was just making a point that it doesn't matter how many printers
are "supported" if the support is lousy...

Since Linux now supports the same amount (probably more, as legacy printer
support is MUCH better in the Unix/Linux domain), your figures merely
reinforce the argument that Linux is better :-)

> >Corollary mediocre support for even 5000 different printers
> >doesn't matter compared to first-rate support for 500 different printers.
> >

> Last count I saw was 2300 printers supported by sites mentioned above.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 21:56:12 -0500

Nigel Feltham wrote:

> > Who would WANT to use ISDN these days? It's kind of like
> > complaining about ISA pnp support in Linux.
> >
> > Something like Firewire would be much more relevant.
> >

> Don't you mean ADSL or Cable-modem - Firewire is for
> connecting fast devices (faster version of USB) and not

You've got it backwards.  USB is the poor man's rip-off of Firewire.

> for modems (cablemodems and ADSL usually connect
> to 10-base-T or 100-base-T netcards or networks).

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Linux vs Microsoft
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 02:57:21 GMT

In article <4jd76.168711$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Pete Goodwin wrote:
>mark wrote:
>
>> No it's not - problems do occur.  But they get fixed in linux.  Nobody
>> ever said that problems dont' occur in linux, that's a microsoft thing.
>
>Last time I looked nobody was terribly interested in fixing problems with
>smbmount.
>
>--
>Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

I do have a W2k machine, an NT machine and one 98 machine around here.
What problem are you having with smbmount?

I don't have ANY connectivity problems with any of these windows
boxes into Debian.  None at all.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 02:58:42 GMT

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 02:48:55 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie
Ebert) wrote:

>I have.
>
>#1.  Your a liar.  You did say "Linux is unfeasible at work".
>     And it's not difficult for anybody to read back and prove
>     that.

So go ahead and show me, not that it matters because it IS unfeasible
in the work place, especially the coporate workplace.

>#2.  I am going to draw my own conclusion.
>     Your full of crap.

The truth hurts Charlie.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is easier to install than windows
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 03:02:20 GMT

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 01:47:38 GMT, "Kyle Jacobs"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>XFree86's autoprobe system doesn't seem to find USB devices very well (LIKE
>MICE?!)

It can't even identify my PS/2 port Logitech Wheelmouse correctly
(Mandrake 7.2).

>I've only seen XFree86 4.*'s autoprobe on my 3dfx card, which IS one of the
>top 10% of hardware distributed in theUS, I'd love to see what it does on a
>system with an ATI Radeon chip, or an old nVidia Riva 128.  Does it
>"support" it through the generic svga "driver"?

It thinks my Matrox card has anywhere from 4 meg to 16 meg depending
on which version of Xfree I use. The card has 8 meg BTW.

>Can it even probe for those devices AND accomidate WITHOUT prompting the
>user?

A concept totally foreign to Linux users.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 03:02:50 GMT

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 02:47:15 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:

>       USB mice aren't horribly complicated beasts.
>
>       They aren't even distinctive really.

That's nice, but you didn't answer his question jedi.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: KDE Hell
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 22:00:58 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > Clue for the clueless...there is absolutely NOTHING that is "intuitive"
> > about computers for the new user.
>
> Actually, there is.  But because you concider bash intuitive, this concept
> is totally lost upon you.
>
> > If Windows was so easy to use...
> > Then why is the ratio of Windows help-desk staff : Windows users
> > sooooooo much larger than with Unix.
>
> Windows is on more workstations, UNIX is on more servers.  If UNIX were on
> the same number of workstations as Windows is now, there would be more UNIX
> help desk staffers, wouldn't there?
>
> > Hint fucking Hint.  The ENTIRE Helpdesk staff for all of GM's Unix
> > users (over 15,000 UNIX desktops) is less than 20 people.  That includes
> > both 1st and 2nd level support.
>
> You must love GM a lot, because they seem to be your only model enterprise
> agency. GM needs engineering software, most other industries don't (with the
> exclusion of Aerospace).  GM also hires engineers to work on those
> workstations, with a few staffers who are either management, or assembeley
> staff using the occasional workstation.  Gee, does this model seem a little
> idealistic to you?  It does to me.
>
> > Conversely, about 2 miles down the road, the number of Windows helpdesk
> > people at Kmart Headquarters (about 1500 desktops) is around 50, and
> > the level of service is WORSE  (GM Unix helpdesk--have a Unix helpdesk
> > agent ON THE PHONE with the user within 60 seconds....Kmart Windows
> > helpdesk -- call-back within 3 hours).
>
> Bad idea using white-trash mart as an example in this matter.  KKK-mart's

Clue for the fucking clueless:

Just because a lot of Kmart customers are uneducated does NOT mean that
the people who work at Headquarters are the same.

Quite the opposite, in fact.

And what's the KKK shit about?

Are you making an accusation?  If so, then come out with it, ASSHOLE.

> internet (and most of their computer systems) strat is quite new, and was
> only instituted at the demand of their very pissed off stockholders.
> Although this example shows REAL computing in action, they're computer
> systems are quite recent.
>
> > If it's so much more "intuitive", then why so many Windows helpdesk
> > people for so few users at such a low standard of service (and,
> > by the way, Kmart pays IT people quite well).
>
> Because Windows allows people who truly have better things to do than get a
> major in CS to use a computer.  UNIX on the desktop (when instituted
> properly) would have the same problem if it were a noticeable majority of
> workstation machines (like Windows is).
>
> Simply put, it's a math problem.  The scale of UNIX systems is generally
> smaller, whereas Windows workstations are commonplace.
>
> If the reverse was true, your logic would also follow (as a generalization).
>
> Of course, if your experience would venture outside the realm of GM's
> computer needs, and what you hear from your IT friends at KKKmart, you would
> know this.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 22:03:45 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > Clue for the clueless...there is absolutely NOTHING that is "intuitive"
> > about computers for the new user.
>
> Actually, there is.  But because you concider bash intuitive, this concept
> is totally lost upon you.
>
> > If Windows was so easy to use...
> > Then why is the ratio of Windows help-desk staff : Windows users
> > sooooooo much larger than with Unix.
>
> Windows is on more workstations, UNIX is on more servers.  If UNIX were on
> the same number of workstations as Windows is now, there would be more UNIX
> help desk staffers, wouldn't there?
>
> > Hint fucking Hint.  The ENTIRE Helpdesk staff for all of GM's Unix
> > users (over 15,000 UNIX desktops) is less than 20 people.  That includes
> > both 1st and 2nd level support.
>
> You must love GM a lot, because they seem to be your only model enterprise
> agency. GM needs engineering software, most other industries don't (with the
> exclusion of Aerospace).  GM also hires engineers to work on those
> workstations, with a few staffers who are either management, or assembeley
> staff using the occasional workstation.  Gee, does this model seem a little
> idealistic to you?  It does to me.
>
> > Conversely, about 2 miles down the road, the number of Windows helpdesk
> > people at Kmart Headquarters (about 1500 desktops) is around 50, and
> > the level of service is WORSE  (GM Unix helpdesk--have a Unix helpdesk
> > agent ON THE PHONE with the user within 60 seconds....Kmart Windows
> > helpdesk -- call-back within 3 hours).
>
> Bad idea using white-trash mart as an example in this matter.  KKK-mart's
> internet (and most of their computer systems) strat is quite new, and was
> only instituted at the demand of their very pissed off stockholders.
> Although this example shows REAL computing in action, they're computer
> systems are quite recent.
>
> > If it's so much more "intuitive", then why so many Windows helpdesk
> > people for so few users at such a low standard of service (and,
> > by the way, Kmart pays IT people quite well).
>
> Because Windows allows people who truly have better things to do than get a
> major in CS to use a computer.  UNIX on the desktop (when instituted

You're saying that all of the CAD designers, detailers, checkers, etc.
who work at the automotive companies have CS degrees?

Clue for the fucking clueless:

People in mechanical design an related skills VERY VERY rarely have
anything approaching a CS degree...

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.