From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: KDE2
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 23:04:01 +0100

It was the Sun, 26 Nov 2000 15:17:38 -0800...
...and Transport <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> haven't tried Gnome or any other windows mgr., but KDE works,

Neither GNOME nor KDE are window managers.

mawa
--
bald pit, n.:
    what remains of the finely machined slits in a screw's head after

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 17:12:33 -0500

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > According to a review from one of the more known computer reporters in
> here,
> > > it sucks.
> > > Of personal experiance (beta, though) it has the stability of a dove in
> > > hurrican.
> >
> > I gave a quick test (under linux) of beta's. Until PR3 they were just
> > for fun. PR3 appeared to be a reasonable beta (a little buggy, something
> > not implemented, but usable).
> > You may have different behavior under Windows, because the application
> > must handle a lot of issues which under Unix are handled by OS.
>
> Probably, but after the disappotment 4 was, I'm not sure if I'll try it
> until it's tested thourghfully.

Q) What was the main problem with Netscape 4.x??

A) It's not sold by a monopoly in Redmond, Washington owned by a megalomaniac.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 17:15:38 -0500

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Ayende Rahien wrote:
> > >
> > > "Chad Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:PvST5.5571$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> it
> > >
> > > I also tested it on a 133 with 32MB (server version, you only need 64
> for
> > > the install) I wouldn't use it as my desktop, but it serves quite well
> as a
> > > small server.
> >
> > You're using Windows 2000 Server on this machine.  I truly don't
> > believe it.  2000 Pro's performance for me was intolerable on a similar
> > machine.  Even Win98 on the same machine, with a 32MB memory injection
> > (total of 64 MB) sucks royally.
>
> Yes, why not? It's not a desktop machine, it's a server.
>
> > Maybe you guys need to try Linux to see what a really responsive
> > system is like.
>
> Add X, add Gnome & Enlightment, adn you add up with about the same
> requirements.
>
> Win98 will fly on 32MB (I used to work on 16 win 98)
> And I'm running a server on a 64MB which is also used as a desktop machine.

You are insane.

I have a Lose98 machine with 292 MB of memory, 500 MHz processor,
and 3 hard disks (minimizing the delays of head track-"seek" movement...),
the swap space on its own partition (to eliminate fragmentation problems)...

and it crawls like a worm...

> > Win2000 on 96 Mb performs pretty shitty, as far as I can tell.
> > Note that I'm talking about disk caching and the user interface.
> > The networking code on Win2000 works damn fast.
>
> My point exactly.
> 133 & 32MB have long passed their time as desktop machines.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 17:16:20 -0500

Giuliano Colla wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Giuliano Colla wrote:

> > > EULA binds customers, not journalists or net sites, hopefully!
> >
> > But most journalists are ALSO MS customers.
> >
> > Catch-22.
> >

> This explains the different "opinions" published on the same subject.

Exactly.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Uptime -- where is NT?
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 17:19:00 -0500

mark wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> >Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >>
> >> "mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> It works on all periods and does not ever roll over to 0.  The reason is
> >> that it works by reading the event log for a startup message then subtracts
> >> the time entry of that startup message from the current time of day.
> >
> >You would be surprised.
>
> So it would be zero immediately at startup?

With Microsoft...who knows.  They are probably quite busy making
sure that nobody barges in on the 'uptime.exe' market.

one's complement-reverse-ascii-coded-binary, or some such nonsense

> Mark

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 17:22:32 -0500

Jason Bowen wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Stuart Fox wrote:

> >> accurate

> >> Are you being deliberately stupid, or is a serious mental condition?
> >>
> >> Here's a clue:  Uptime reported via the network is not accurate, so the
> >> uptimes reported are wrong.  Incorrect uptime does not mean the machine
> >> does not stay up.
> >

> >Yes, but the experience of real-life NT admins DOES mean that
> >the machines don't stay up.
> >
> >Here's a clue:
> >
> >A fellow contractor told of helping with an inventory...
> >there was a Sun box which had been overlooked in the last
> >inventory, and had gone 13 months without any sort of
> >maintenance.....everyone had completely FORGOTTEN about
> >this machine's existance....because it was performing
> >ALL of its functions flawlessly.
> >
> >If this were, instead, a LoseNT machine, would such a situation
> >even be possible?
> >
> >for 5 weeks...maybe.  13 months?  Not on your life.
>
> Was this machine not connected to the outside world?  Given the number of

Don't know.

Any place large enough to completely forget about a running Solaris
server is big enough to have onre or more entire vertical racks full
of firewalls, proxies, and routers.

> patches that Sun/Microsoft/Linux put out in a year I would find it hard
> to believe that this machine wasn't patched for security reasons or

If it was mistakenly dropped from the inventory, then by what means
would it be taken down for a "security patch" ???

> rebooted from memory leaks.  Of course I have seen uptimes of 400+ days
> under Solaris so I'm not completely doubting it.  The best I've done under
> Linux is 120 days and that was only ended due to the machine being moved
> to a different room.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 23:20:29 +0100

It was the Sun, 26 Nov 2000 13:51:40 -0800...
...and matt newell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > It's X (not KDE) that provides the network transparency (for graphics at
> > any rate)
>
> I was referring to network transparent file access. Not network transparent
> graphics.

That's what gnome-vfs does.

mawa
--
I think that doubling the dosages does not give me dilithium, but
let's have warp speed anyway.                          -- Andrew Hampe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 23:20:04 +0100

It was the Sun, 26 Nov 2000 13:06:24 -0800...
...and matt newell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > : > : > bonobo : : KDE has kparts for embedable components and
> > dcop for desktop : communication.
> >
> > Is kparts CORBA-based?  I've looked at the developer.kde.org info
> > on kparts.  It supports network transparency for *document
> > operations*.  How about some network transparency for the
> > objects???
>
> No, Corba proved to be to big and slow for embedable components,

You mean: KDE's CORBA implementation proved to be too big and too slow
for KDE's embeddable components.

> so the came up with kparts.  I don't know what you mean network
> transparency for objects?  When would you open a document using a
> part that is not on your own computer.  This seems like unusable
> overkill.

Yeah, sure. Because KDE doesn't support it it must be unusuable
overkill.

What about a server serving components and controls to an entire
office? At LinuxTag 1999, the KDE people told me that this was one of
the great features that would be made possible by the wonderful
network transparency of KOM/OpenParts.

And now?

> If I need a plugin to open some kind of document I will
> install it.

Sounds a lot like the Windows world. I've worked in a company where
they had an entire subdepartment devoted to having software
installations roll out to their fat clients. Incredible overhead.

> > : > : > oaf medusa : : I don't know what these are?
> >
> > oaf == Object activation framework.  It's the GNOME 2.0
> > replacement for gnorba.  Each server registers itself using an XML
> > format.  When an application requires a specific kind of service,
> > it performs an OAF query, and finds the object(s) it needs to
> > instantiate to service its request.
>
> This is the same as dcop. It uses xml and can communicate with any
> program using any language.

I'm not sure you actually understood what the previous poster wrote.

> > : > : > or GConf.  : : : : Kcontrol.
> >
> > Nothing of the kind.  GConf provides applications a simple,
> > consistent interface to store and retrieve configuration data.
> > Kcontrol is just a control panel, not unlike gnomecc.
>
> I see what you are talking about now.  KDE has something similar
> called KConfig.  It works very well.  Here is a small example, this
> code is pulled straight out of Kedit.
>
> void TopLevel::readProperties(KConfig* config){ QString filename =
> config->readEntry("filename",""); int modified =
> config->readNumEntry("modified",0); int line =
> config->readNumEntry("current_line", 0); int col =
> config->readNumEntry("current_column", 0);

Does it automatically notify all the listeners about key changes? Does
it support the model/view/controller paradigm? Does it support
multiple back ends?

> > : : A great Web Browser that supports many standards and is
> > getting better : every : day without accumulating bloat.
> >
> > I'd agree that Konqueror is a nice browser.  It's a shame I've got
> > to install almost the entire KDE distribution just to get that.
> > Fortunately, galeon is getting better all the time.
>
> Will galeon support embedable components, it is nice to be able to
> view images, pdf files, text files, Office documents, and anything
> else with a plugin.

Why should a Web browser be able to do that?

We've got Nautilus for that purpose.

mawa
--
PROUD TO PLONK Initiative
Life's too short to be trolled, spammed or get upset about lame

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 23:23:50 +0100

It was the Sun, 26 Nov 2000 01:38:39 -0800...
...and matt newell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Compilers only become mature when they are tested, and KDE is
> proving that C++ is great for gui programming and they are testing
> the compiler.

This is not what I would consider an argument in favour of KDE as a
development framework. "Well, by using it and/or developing for it,
you help test the C++ compiler." Yeah, sure.

> > BTW - KDE2 doesn't have anything as advanced as gnome-print,
> QT's print model is much easier and more flexible that that of gnome.  With
> gnome you are force to rewrite all of your drawing code to print, while with
> QT you just specify that the painter use a printer instead of a widget.  No
> drawing code changes are involved.

How does Qt's printing model manage fonts? Antialiasing?
Pixel-precision, zoomable, antialiased previewing? Which output
formats does it support?

> Some of the technical merits that KDE provides:
[schnibble]
> A truly wonderfull and well thought out API
[schnibble]

What a technical argument. I'm flabbergasted.

mawa
--
Süßfrühstücker!
Täglichrasierer!

------------------------------

From: p@spamfree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: C++ is very alive!
Date: 26 Nov 2000 13:53:15 -0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, mlw says...

>It wasn't really a quiz, so much as just a small enumeration of things
>that one should know.

I think you are confused by the same culture that equates spell checking
quizes with intellegence.

a good engineer or scientist, knows how research and find the details and
techniques needed to solve a problem.

If I have a sorting problem in front of me, I can very easily look up
the references on sorting and refresh myself with the advantages and
disadvantages of each, and choose the best one for the problem.

smart people know where to search for information, they do not memorize it.

------------------------------

From: p@spamfree <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 26 Nov 2000 14:04:10 -0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Salvador says...

>Last week she sent me an email with a link to a story that Notes is
>incorporating sendmail into their next product release to "resolve some
>of the upward scaling problems" they were having with Notes.
>
>I don't particularly care about world domination, but it's pretty clear
>that the proprietary source castles are crumbling.

Solaris now ships with Apache. Apache now is the default web server
on Solaris. Sun own web server is being scaled back, it will be
probably be retired some time in the future. Sun has found that
everyone is using apache on Solaris, so it was in their best interest
to ship apache with solaris, after making any needed improvments to make
it run best on solaris.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone have to use (*GAG*) Windows on the job?
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 23:04:40 +0000

mark wrote:

> Now, I wonder that lockup tight means?  We know that a KDE app
> _might_ cause a KDE problem.  We know that KDE _might_ cause an
> X problem.  We know that an X problem will not stop the machine.

I mean the whole machine hung, from KDE, to X, to Linux itself. I couldn't
even login remotely.

--
Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2