  Re: Of course, there is a down side... (Donovan Rebbechi)

From: Matthew Soltysiak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Whistler review.
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:56:18 GMT

> You're obviously going to a 3rd-rate college.

I was hoping you would be a little more original.  Actually, I go to very nice college
thanks.
Anyway, here's something that will blow your mind away (because i'm guessing you're
the type who
can't accept the truth, and has to advocate all kinds of shit to get somewhere).
People use
what they want to use.  The guy who like Whistler liked it.  Simple as that.  Is your
brain
suffering from crashed yet?  No?  good.

> H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
>     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
>     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
>     you are lazy, stupid people"
>
> I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
>    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
>    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
>    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
>
> J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
>    The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
>    also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
>
> A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.
>
> B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
>    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
>    direction that she doesn't like.
>
> C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
>
> D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
>    ...despite (C) above.
>
> E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
>    her behavior improves.
>
> F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
>    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
>
> G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

And you typed all that for this news group.  You must have a lot of time.

--
Matthew Soltysiak
Comp Sci/Soft Eng

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marc Richter)
Subject: Re: Another  happy Linux user
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 09:00:43 -0500

On Sat, 25 Nov 2000 00:53:06 -0500, Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > Yea, yea, I know, it's the machine, it's the user, it's that
>> > particular distribution, Linux is the kernel, it worked in 5 minutes
>> > for me, he should have read xxxxx amd so forth.
>> >
>> > Why is it that such simple things like dialing up to the internet
>> > become missions of mercy when trying to run Linsux?
>> >
>> > claire
>> I never had a single problem.  I know the port, address, irq and hey
>> presto it's easy.  Linux is not for the non technically aware at the
>> moment that's all!
>> --
>
>a non-technical person isn't going to know the port, address, or irq for
>a device anyway if they have to configure it manually under Windows(they
>won't know what any of those mean anway), so the same problem exists.
>When a resource conflict arises they are going to have to know how to
>fix it. If they don't they take it to a shop.  If they don't know how to
>do it in Linux I'm sure they have a friend who knows what to do. When u
>start using nontechnical people as a an arugment for people not being
>able to use Linux you end up with a losing battle as nontechnical people
>can't use Windows either.

And that, good sir, is what we all seem to forget.

It wasn't long ago that, when you bought a game, you often had to either:

1. Make a seperate boot floppy. (and many games would not do this for you) or
2. Tweak the crap out of CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT

Now call me crazy, but you just don't get any more "end-user" than game
software that anyone can pick up at a mall near you.

I did telephone based tech support during that era and me and the other
nerds often had a running contest to see who could squeeze the most
conventional memory out of a system.

Now people may claim that this is no longer relevant, but cruising the
newsgroups and web boards for games now finds the following common
resolutions to fix problems with these paragons of "easy to use" software:

1. Download and patch the game. Yeah, might not sound too hard, but
novices often have a hard time even finding where their browser put
an archive. And let us not forget, no version of Windows comes with
a utility to open a *.zip file. Yes, WinZip is an easy download, IF
said novice somehow finds out what *.zip means and IF said novice
knows how to find software on the Web. But how much of a novice is
that novice at this point? I could summon several friends and family
to the stand to prove my point here. :-) (Hi, Uncle Gary, poocher of
your own system!)

2. Download and patch the video driver. See point 1 for details,
along with figuring out what video card you have in your system.

3. Download and patch the sound drivers. Ditto.

4. Defrag and scandisk. Not too hard, but you still need to *learn* how.

5. Use the Task Manager to kill extra stuff running, including Tray items.
Does anyone think that this is intuitive or easy for a novice?

I could go on, but I think my point is clear. Regardless of the OS, there
is a learning curve that often extends beyond "Insert the CD and let
Setup autorun".

Especially when things stop working as expected.

--
Marc A. Richter  I&R Deployed Support

       my employer, Merck & Co., Inc.  All responsibility for the statements
       sender.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Soltysiak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:07:13 GMT

kiwiunixman wrote:

> I have nothing against Commercial Software, if fact I am an out right
> capitalist, however, Microsoft has a reputation for churning out shyte so
> that customers (like your self) think because it comes from Microsoft it
> must be good.

Nope, i don't buy their software, and i never will.. I really don't care about
Miscrosft.  But I happen to like many of the commercials apps for Windows like
Protel and Orcard, and some others like Mia and SoftImage.  Too bad Linux
doesn't have these, eh?

>  I am very soon moving from Linux to either a Sun Workstation
> (Solaris 8) or an SGI O2 Workstation (IRIX 6.5), both have extremely stable
> OS's, something Microsoft needs to learn about.  If you get ya rocks off
> running windows, and talking to your uneducated simpleton friends about it's
> so-called merits, then so be it, but don't expect the educated elite (aka
> UNIX users and people who question Microsoft and other so-called "market
> leaders") to listen your shyte.

Oh brother.  So I have to be an "elite" unix user to be educated? Right. Naive
thinking.  But just to relieve your pains, yes, i do use Unix.  I have 2 bsd
boxes at home running my servers.  Anyway, right now, all i care about is
knowing the computer very well, which i do.  You don't probably, even though you
use Unix.  Just because i use WIndows for the applications I need to use,
doesn't mean i'm not smarter than you, and i probably am.  There are a lot smart
ppl that use both OS's.  Keep that in mind next time you talk without thinking.

--
Matthew Soltysiak
Comp Sci/Soft Eng

------------------------------

From: Mike Raeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 00:52:23 -0500

Matthew Soltysiak wrote:
> > I DON'T CARE!!!
> >
> > I will still continue to run my Linux System which has performed for me better
> > than anything MS has ever done.
> >

> Ok, so go away... why did you respond to this?  Stupid linvocates.. whistler will
> continue windows domination over the world.

Ok, Why did you bother posting a Whistler review on Linux &
Mac NGs?  You're stoned if you didn't expect some backlash.

Now go play with your windoze busy-box. :P

--
My Australian Shepherd is smarter than your honour student

------------------------------

From: Spicerun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:26:10 +0000

Chad Myers wrote:

> "spicerun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> > > I've finally gotten whistler (pro, 2296, beta 1), and I'm *liking* it.
> >
> > I DON'T CARE!!!
> >
> > I will still continue to run my Linux System which has performed for me better
> > than anything MS has ever done.
> >
> > <EOM>
>
> Head > Sand.

Installed-Windows > Burned!

> -Chad

Chad = Windows-colored-glasses.

------------------------------

From: Spicerun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:34:11 +0000

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> When did you last used MS OS?

Today at Work......Win2K.  Performs like garbage compared to the Sun system
in the next cubicle.  Performs like garbage compared to my Linux laptop.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A transfinite number of monkeys)
Subject: Re: Off Topic: Funny Light Bulb Joke:
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 16:37:43 GMT

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:05:49 GMT, kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: 1 to post that the bulb used was CRAP and challenging the INTELLIGENT of
: the other posters

How about 1 to suggest you use a dictionary to find the proper word?
*INTELLECT*

:-)

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.

From: "Conrad Rutherford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 27 Nov 2000 10:47:08 -0600

> Glitch wrote:
> >
> > Tom Elam wrote:
> > >
> > > On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 02:30:51 +0200, Tom Elam wrote this reply to

> > > That would make it a pretty impressive piece of software.
> > >

> > yep, only 2 crashes per day instead of 5, and only 5 employees angry for
> > their work being lost instead of 10 employees.
>
> This frog shit beats the hell out of whale shit.

And ALL the windows shit beats the living hell outta the dinosaur shit unix
drags itself though... go away troll.

------------------------------

From: "Conrad Rutherford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 27 Nov 2000 10:47:12 -0600

how would you know?

That's like saying you run Linux cause it kicks DOS 6.22's ass.

------------------------------

From: Spicerun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:54:32 +0000

Matthew Soltysiak wrote:

> Ok, so go away... why did you respond to this?  Stupid linvocates.. whistler will
> continue windows domination over the world.
>
> --
> Matthew Soltysiak
> Comp Sci/Soft Eng
> ICQ: 3063118

Stupid winvocate!

If you don't want intelligent people responding to this propaganda, keep it off the
linux and mac newsgroups.

------------------------------

From: "Conrad Rutherford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 27 Nov 2000 10:57:14 -0600

So, kiwiunixman, did you classify yourself as a "unixman" because you don't
know how to use a mouse and are afraid of getting sticky fingers in GUI? Go
away you pathetic worm troll

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Conrad Rutherford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 27 Nov 2000 10:57:16 -0600

> Matthew Soltysiak wrote:
> >

> > > I DON'T CARE!!!
> > >
> > > I will still continue to run my Linux System which has performed for
me better
> > > than anything MS has ever done.
> > >

> > Ok, so go away... why did you respond to this?  Stupid linvocates..
whistler will
> > continue windows domination over the world.
> >
> > --
> > Matthew Soltysiak
> > Comp Sci/Soft Eng
>
> Whatever school you're studying at....I'd transfer out of, if I were you.

whatever air you are breathing now, I'd switch to Carbon Monoxide if I were
you.

------------------------------

From: "Conrad Rutherford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 27 Nov 2000 11:03:08 -0600

"kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> What do you have to prove with that post? Look at Windows 2000 Pro, 650MB,
> base installation, compare that to, say, Redhat Linux, which maybe a
little
> bigger in size, but includes valuable third party tools such as tar, gzip,
> and StarOffice.
>
> I have nothing against Commercial Software, if fact I am an out right
> capitalist, however, Microsoft has a reputation for churning out shyte so
> that customers (like your self) think because it comes from Microsoft it
> must be good.  I am very soon moving from Linux to either a Sun
Workstation
> (Solaris 8) or an SGI O2 Workstation (IRIX 6.5), both have extremely
stable
> OS's, something Microsoft needs to learn about.  If you get ya rocks off
> running windows, and talking to your uneducated simpleton friends about
it's
> so-called merits, then so be it, but don't expect the educated elite (aka
> UNIX users and people who question Microsoft and other so-called "market
> leaders") to listen your shyte.
>
> kiwiunixman

Oh, you are the "elite" and the non-unix types are weak huh? Yes, mein
furher. Wow, you really do have your nose up in the air, must be from
treading water standing still so long. So, upgrading from Linux to Slowaris
or even IRIX eh? You've obviously discovered Linux' limitations - but to
pretend that Windows 2000 is crap only tells us that you have no clue what
you are talking about. Obviously you've never seen it let alone used it. And
if you use that crap then you know about spending money and lots lots more
of it than you would with a nice wintel box. Sad... i mean if running an OS
is what you use to get your rocks off, you are obviously too far gone to
even try to reason with. And your trainspotting imitation of an accent is
tired...

------------------------------

From: "Conrad Rutherford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 27 Nov 2000 11:13:21 -0600

<very large snip because Aaron doesn't understand the first thing about
replying to posts or how to use usenet or even how to change underwear more
than monthly 100+ lines to write unrelated stupidity at the bottom - a
typical @yahoo.com user, almost as bad as an aol.com user>

 > For now, I think that there is a good chance that Whistler will be as
good
> > from win2k as win2k was from NT.
>

> Wow....look at this car
>
> It's great
> It's fantastic.
>
> They painted it at the factory!!!!
>
> No, I don't know anything about whether the engine is any good,
> or how it handles in turns....or even going in a straight line
> down a highway at a mere 60 km/h (US 40 mph)...i only got to
> drive it 5 feet forwards and back..
>
> Yeah...I know there's no locks on the doors...and you can't
> roll up the windows...and...you know...it doesn't have any
> rear view mirrors...or seat belts...and that hand-crank in
> place of the usual steering wheel is gonna take some getting
> used to...and...yeah, it's kinda strange how they put the
> radio upside down mounted on the floor...it's got a really
> leaky fuel system...but...it's got a custom paint job...and
> when I crack up on the highway, and die in a ball of fire...
> well, it's gonna look really cool!
>
> And...looking cool THAT's what's REALLY important...
>

> Here's a hint, Ayende....GROW THE FUCK UP
> --

Hey Aaron, want YOUR hint?

Hey, look at this car.
Well, it's not really a car yet, it's just a bunch of parts made all over
the world by different people and one guy stored them all over the place and
you can get them from here and there and none of them are supported by the
other parts but you could assemble them together yourself or pay someone
else to put it together their way and then you can have the fun of making it
work and figuring it out and then maybe you'll have a cheap car.

One that looks like it came out of a bad 60s sci-fi movie. Sure it doesn't
have power steering, power brakes, power windows, cruise control but you any
have it in any color you'd like as long as it's black. Oh, and if you want
to you can take it apart and put it back together as often as you'd like.
And if it blows up it's all your fault and no one elses. If it doesn't even
start, it's your problem. The steering wheel can go on any side you want,
and so can the pedals. Fuck anyone else who wants to drive it - they will
have to get in and crash a few times until they figure it out.

And it's not even cool looking but it's l33t with the under 18 crowd and
costs what they can afford. Sure, no one races them. Sure, no companies will
stock their garage with them. Sure they look like ups trucks and run as long
and are as fast as a corvette (think: corvette speed, ups truck handling -
get the picture?).

Oh yes, this is what I want - a supertanker that goes as fast as a
powerboat... and turns on a small country sized piece of land IF you can
figure out the controls. Oh, and the controls are two sticks that you pull
one way one day and the other way another day and they are completely
different in every model you see.

You want the truth...you can't handle the truth. Linux is a university
drop-out hobby. It's been taken over by hippies who don't know the 60s free
love and free drugs are over. It's promoted by anyone who wants to ride the
Anti-MS wave thats popular with the underground. it'll be there until the
next thing comes along and replaces it as the Ultimate-Anti-MS-OS(tm).

You sound like some kind of robotic soldier boy. I would bet dimes to
dollars you are some deskpusher army brat.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: 27 Nov 2000 17:53:11 GMT

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 08:02:31 GMT, Ketil Z Malde wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi) writes:

>No, my point was that it's (or can be) easier than the poster I
>replied to, insinuated.  That with a modern Linux distribution,
>software installation, configuration and updating is completely
>trivial, and the hard part is knowing the name of the software you
>want.

I guess by that criterion, Redhat counts as "modern".

>Red Hat, but if I were to turn this into a distribution flamewar, I'd
>rather attack RH for pushing unreleased beta software on unsuspecting
>consumers.

I'm not terribly happy with 7.0 either, I'm considering a different
upgrade path because of that (probably Mandrake)

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com