  Re: Whistler review. ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: "Bennetts family" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Whistler review.
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:59:45 +1100

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8vurj2$5ja56$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Bennetts family" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:zmBU5.22$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > Because I understand nerdboxen well enough to know that, unless I do
> > something stupid like leaving a bootable CD in the drive between
restarts,
> > doesn't do anything except pause for about 1/2 a second during the boot.
>
> The Whistler CD was in the CD-ROM, and it's a bootable one.
> That is why I thought it's strange.

I know the 98SE CD defaults to booting off the hard disk after a timeout.

> > No, install one driver, forced into a reboot, install the other 5
drivers
> > with associated reboots. Install apps (even f***ing Acrobat Reader needs
> > reboot), upgrade Internet Exploiter...
>
> No, why would you install one driver and then reboot?
> Install one driver, say no when it asks you to reboot, install another
> dirver, continue doing so until you run out of drivers.
> Then reboot.
>
> This work on win98.

I know you can do that, but it leaves unimplemented changes around, which
other drivers can step on and prematurely bring the installation down.

> > Sorry, it can't.
>
> No, you never bothered to find out how to make windows tell you how to do
> it.
> Windows will quite willingly gives you a list of what it does while
booting.

Either a) in the log, if you tell it to, or b) keep hitting Escape to get
rid of the damn clouds.

> > In this day and age where PCs are spending more and more time on the
> > Internet, and more cases where people share the same computer, security
is
> > necessity at all levels.
>
> I *agree*.
> And I've expressed my displeasure about it already.
> It's a Beta 1, so I think it will get fixed in the following releases.

It does show you where M$ priorities lie, when security, a core function
that should be tight from the git go, is left lax on even an early beta.

> > You don't have the faintest idea about even basic security. What about
> > keypad doorlocks? They don't give feedback like that. You don't need it.
>
> I know this, and I agrees that this is a very good security measure, but
> windows is supposed to cater to much larger (and largely more ignorant)
user
> base. (this is likely to change in the next five years, due to china's
> decision, I wonder when we will first hear "one billion chiense can't go
> wrong" sentense.)
> But you don't know the kind of users that windows has to deal with.
> If I take a 9x user and gives him this, he would think that the OS froze
and
> reboot.
> I've seen it happen! Twice!
> I would've prevented the second time but I was too busy laughing.

Blinking cursor? I think that Windows should ship with a tutorial guidebook
to try and increase the proficiency of new users, and get them to at least
partially understand how things work and why they are the way they are. A
section on nettiquette would be nice, too.

> > No, the only things M$ can do with Exploiter is make it standards
> compliant,
> > and fix the pig ugly default toolbar settings. And that print preview...
>
> What about the print preview?
> And how would you suggest to fix the "pig ungly default toolbar settings."
> (btw, have you seen MSN browsers? I've only seen screenshots, but it looks
> like the designers thought very hard about the term pretty and none at all
> about the term usable. {To counter the obvious retort, Whistler is very
> usable by what I've seen so far} )

Narrow them down, ditch the text beneath them (tooltips, people). I've seen
the MSN browsers, and I won't be touching them with a barge pole.

> About the standards, I fully agrees with you.
> That was the reason I mentioned IE 5 on Mac, it's the most standard
> complaint browser.
> (I've not checked netscape 6, though, I'm going to very soon, test it on
> whistler, see whatever it works. I also haven't checked the WaSP site, to
> see what they've to say about netscape 6, so this info might be slightly
> outdated)

NS6 isn't worth looking at, try it's OS cousin, Mozilla. Much more stable,
and better compliant with standards.

> > I thought getting things done was what computers are for. I am obviously
> > wrong...
>
> Yes, and allowing to computer illetirate people to get things done is
> largely what Whistler appears to be doing.
> I'm not computer illiterate (of course, now there would be several who
would
> jump up and say I'm. If there would be, I'm going to answer them with
> "Predictable"), so I can't really comment about this.
> I'm going to test Whistler on a computer illiterate very soon, though.

Why not help people become literate, and then ditch the fluff. I could quite
easily see a "learning" shell to replace Explorer for users without
extensive experience, building them up to proficiency. Literate users could
then use a cleaned up, more functional shell.

> > Spent time on NT, and it isn't as bad as 98, but certainly not crash
hot,
> > either. I haven't used 2k, because it is just NT5, with a new paint job.
> And
> > that *matters*.
>

> No, it isn't.
> There are a lot of things that are different in 2K.
> Try installing a new video card in NT and then in 2000 and then understand
> what I'm talking about.
> NT can be a nightmare in this regard, 2000 is a breeze.

PnP, and DirectX (I think). Easily explainable. And good.

> That is just one point where 2k surpass NT on many levels, including speed
> on comparable hardware.
> The 2k interface is nice, but it's the least of the things that they
> changed.
> If you think that 2K is NT with a paint job, you really need to spend some
> time with 2000.

It is NT5, a full version number ahead of NT4. I'd expect some major changes
and improvements, and 2k has delivered. IE5, OTOH, doesn't deserve more than
0.2 over IE4.

> This is what I'm doing with Whistler right now. (As a note, doing exactly
> that on RH6 was very bad. It's my fault, of course, but I still think that
> it's impolite of the installer not to ask me before it deletes all my HD)
Huh? I never heard nor seen anything like that before.

--Chris
Leave the MBR alone, Windows.

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LINUX  USED BY THE NEW ZEALAND ARMY FOR ARMED FORCES SIMULATION:
Date: 28 Nov 2000 00:56:40 GMT

kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Read the story below:

: http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,497306a1896,FF.html
: Who said Linux wasn't ready for the big league?

I think we'll see more of this kind of thing (governments of
smaller population countries switching to Linux for various
tasks) before we see it happen as much in the U.S.  The problem
is that the U.S. has a lot of stuff in place, such that the
cost to switch is really high compared to a smaller country.
(That's the same reason that every other major democracy has modern
vote-counting techniques compared to the US's chaotic mix of
technology from the 1900's to the present still in use.)  The
NZ military is smaller than the US military, so it is more
easily able to handle such a complete switchover without as
much beurocratic hassle.

And to those idiots who keep deriding the NZ military, don't
forget how small a population NZ has.  For a country that size,
their military does more than its fair share of participation
in world affairs.

I think it is quite telling that the same idiots who deride
Linux out of ignorance also deride anything outside the US,
also out of ignorance.

Some day, when I get more money (and more importantly, more
free time), I'd like to visit NZ.  In photos it looks beautiful.
(I don't like wide open flatness, though, so I probably would
not be visiting Australia - nothing against the people there,
I just find open plains to be dull and depressing.)

------------------------------

From: "the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Is design really that overrated?
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 20:11:29 -0500

http://rifts.4mg.com for starters.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Things I have noticed................
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 20:40:45 -0500

Jacques Guy wrote:

> kiwiunixman wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> Dork.
>
> (Just the French gentleman, standing in for Claire, who seems
>  too busy to answer you. We Frogs are renowned for helping
>  the ladies, isn't that right, Sir Claire, Twatty Bird
>  darling?)

Jacque...you must understand.

French women are worthy of assistant.

American bitches like Claire are not.

Hope that helps..

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 20:41:19 -0500

Chad Myers wrote:

> "spicerun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> > > I've finally gotten whistler (pro, 2296, beta 1), and I'm *liking* it.
> >
> > I DON'T CARE!!!
> >
> > I will still continue to run my Linux System which has performed for me better
> > than anything MS has ever done.
> >
> > <EOM>
>
> Head > Sand.

Yes...yours.

> -Chad

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 20:43:39 -0500

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Glitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > Tom Elam wrote:

> > > That would make it a pretty impressive piece of software.
> > >

> > yep, only 2 crashes per day instead of 5, and only 5 employees angry for
> > their work being lost instead of 10 employees.
>
> You idiots are all the same. You used Windows back in the Win3.0 days,
> realized it was shit, and then never used another Windows again, but
> held every version to that standard.

Circa 1980 BSD 2.x Unix on  PDP-11 with up to 2 dozen simultaneous users was good
for over a week.

Circa 1999 Windows 98 stays up for what...2 days...IF YOU'RE LUCKY

What the fuck is up with that????

> NT is far superior, Win2K even more, and Whistler just that much more.

Yeah, right.  Show me even ONE NT box that has stayed up for 3 months,
let alone 14 months.

> -Chad

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 01:43:56 GMT

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:34:41 GMT, Chad Myers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You idiots are all the same. You used Windows back in the Win3.0 days,
>realized it was shit, and then never used another Windows again, but
>held every version to that standard.

In contrast to your method of using Win3.0 and declaring it tutti-
frutti ice cream to everyone within earshot.  Until Win3.1 came out, at
which time 3.0 was shit and 3.1 was the *real* ice cream.  Until NT3
came out, at which time it was the *true* ice cream and Win3 was shit.
Until NT4 came out, which was the *really* *real* ice cream and NT3 was
shit.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

What I don't get is why you keep buying from this vendor who keeps
making shit.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 01:44:02 GMT

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 06:05:25 GMT, Matthew Soltysiak
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>kiwiunixman wrote:

[whistler will]

>> require a 1Ghz processor and 512MB RAM just so that it can run a decent
>> level of responsiveness due to all the hairy-fairy addons a gizmo's
>> Microsoft has added to the OS (which most people don't really need).

>I have a p3 500...128 meg ram...runs fine...

So...I guess you think that's a small machine?  What was the man saying
about bloatware?

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: C++ is very alive!
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 20:49:14 -0500

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Nov 2000 16:22:20 -0500, mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Bob Hauck wrote:
>
> >Yes and no. Sometimes a software engineering job is to make impossible
> >software on impossible software deadlines.
>
> That isn't engineering, it is miracle-working.  My experience is that
> sort of process leads to dysfunctional software, at best.  Which isn't
> to say that lots of shops don't work that way.  That seems to explain a
> lot of what's out there, actually.

I agree, but someone's got to do it, and who you gonna call? I've been
paid pretty well to be the last inning closer from time to time.

> >A lot of the time, performance is a big part of the problem which
> >needs to be solved.
>
> I think that this is less often the case than is commonly assumed.
> Didn't I have that discussion with you or "Daniel C. Johnson" a while
> back?

I can't think of too many applications where performance is not some of
the an issue.

> Miracle-working does tend to prevent you from having time to actually
> understand what you're doing of course, so you instead try to "just
> optimize it all" in an effort to save time by doing more.  Or something
> like that.  Desperation does not make for logical decision-making.

I have seen lots of guys go through the white knuckle stage in software.
The only way to optimize is close inspection, good algorithms, and of
course a source profiler.

> >FYI, last I looked, C++ is a standard. Java is still a proprietary API
> >owned by Sun, as such, something like Perl or TCL would be a better
> >choice when an interpreted language fits the requirements.
>
> There are non-Sun Java implementations, but I understand your point
> about Sun controlling what "Java" is.  That's one thing I don't like
> about Java, but it isn't fatal.  At least there is more than one
> implementation, unlike some truly proprietary languages.

I have a problem with Java. It really is a Sun owned system. I had some
initial contact with the 2D graphics guys at Sun while it was being
designed. We didn't have the case to be involved with the development
process. It made it clear what Java was intended to be, and why it
should be the disaster it is.

> >I would not mind seeing Java-like features come to C++ in a
> >standardized form.
>
> The last thing C++ needs is more features.  It would be nice to have
> the equivalent of Swing and the other libraries for C++ though.

I guess that is a big difference. I would rather have features which I
do not use than want a feature that I do not have. Complexity doesn't
scare me, simplicity for simplicity's sake does.

http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 20:49:07 -0500

Matthew Soltysiak wrote:

> kiwiunixman wrote:
>
> > I have nothing against Commercial Software, if fact I am an out right
> > capitalist, however, Microsoft has a reputation for churning out shyte so
> > that customers (like your self) think because it comes from Microsoft it
> > must be good.
>
> Nope, i don't buy their software, and i never will.. I really don't care about
> Miscrosft.  But I happen to like many of the commercials apps for Windows like
> Protel and Orcard, and some others like Mia and SoftImage.  Too bad Linux
> doesn't have these, eh?

In that case, you would be best served if Microsoft faced significant
competition for the desktop.

> >  I am very soon moving from Linux to either a Sun Workstation
> > (Solaris 8) or an SGI O2 Workstation (IRIX 6.5), both have extremely stable
> > OS's, something Microsoft needs to learn about.  If you get ya rocks off
> > running windows, and talking to your uneducated simpleton friends about it's
> > so-called merits, then so be it, but don't expect the educated elite (aka
> > UNIX users and people who question Microsoft and other so-called "market
> > leaders") to listen your shyte.
>
> Oh brother.  So I have to be an "elite" unix user to be educated? Right. Naive

You have the premise and conclusion mixed up.

By the time you are well-educated in the field of computing, you will
be completely, and thoroughly disgusted with Microsoft platforms.

It has taken them until the year 2000 to implement features that have
been not merely common, but de_rigeur throughout the rest of the industry
since the mid 1970's and even earlier.

And they STILL can't get file-access right.  There is NO WAY to do a
complete backup of a windows machine, because there is no "open file
for READING" option.... Thus, any .exe or .dll file that is in use
CANNOT BE BACKED UP.

This is such a fundamental flaw that it would be humorous if it weren't
for the fact that businesses actually use this crap.

And I don't even want to get into the 5th-grade level fantasy-land
thinking that brought about the "registry".

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 01:48:09 GMT

I was writing a sentence the same way as I would say it. Haven't you
heard the terms shyte (aka shit) and ya (aka your).

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 20:53:00 -0500

Matthew Soltysiak wrote:

> > You're obviously going to a 3rd-rate college.
>
> I was hoping you would be a little more original.

I'm 100% serious.

>  Actually, I go to very nice college thanks.

Compared to what?

MIT
Carnegie-Mellon
U of Cal, Berkely
Purdue
U of Illinois

These are the top-rated schools in Computer Science and
Computer Systems Engineering.

Microsoft sells you shit...to use as servers with design flaws
that would cost a sophomore a 10% reduction in grade if used on
a typical homework project at any of these schools.

> Anyway, here's something that will blow your mind away (because i'm guessing you're
>the type who
> can't accept the truth, and has to advocate all kinds of shit to get somewhere).
>People use
> what they want to use.  The guy who like Whistler liked it.  Simple as that.  Is
>your brain
> suffering from crashed yet?  No?  good.

Microsoft produces absolute shit.  If you haven't figured that
out from your course-work, then your education is deficient.

> > H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
> >     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
> >     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
> >     you are lazy, stupid people"
> >
> > I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
> >    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
> >    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
> >    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
> >
> > J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
> >    The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
> >    also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
> >
> > A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.
> >
> > B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
> >    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
> >    direction that she doesn't like.
> >
> > C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
> >
> > D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
> >    ...despite (C) above.
> >
> > E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
> >    her behavior improves.
> >
> > F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
> >    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
> >
> > G:  Knackos...you're a retard.
>
> And you typed all that for this news group.  You must have a lot of time.
>
> --
> Matthew Soltysiak
> Comp Sci/Soft Eng
> ICQ: 3063118