From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 02:01:25 -0400

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ayende Rahien
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >  wrote
> > on Sun, 8 Apr 2001 16:56:46 +0200
> > <9apuo5$56u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > >
> > >"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> > >message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > >*Bad* idea. You will be cooked to death in a short while. No heat
> > >dissapation. Especially when being physically active.
> >
> > Heh...whoops, my bad; hadn't thought of that.  One might be able to
> > strive for the "invisible man with gloves and shoes" effect, but
> > I think the enemy will, ahem, see right through that ploy....
> >
> > Mind you, something will have to be done.  The only thing I can think
> > of that might take care of the heat dissipation problem is piping
> > to a heat exchanger (think liquid-cooled thermal underwear); this
> > has certain obvious problems that limit its use.  (Either the user
> > radiates very hot (bright) from his backpack, or he's attached to a
> > vehicle and/or structure with a limited radius of movement, and
> > that vehicle will radiate; target the vehicle, and the soldiers
> > might have to play "schuck the suit".)
>
> Instead of blocking the heat, it would be better if you could mask the human
> heat signature.
> Since currently the only use for IR vision is with humans watchers, you
> might want to use camoflouge there too.

precisely.  As soon as the person's IR signature is indistinguishable
from his environment, he "disappears" from IR sensors.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 02:29:31 -0400
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Basement Boy: Aka Aaron Koookis

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Ask the army why they camoflauge their tanks, and get back to me.

But if you disguise yourself as the enemy, you risk being hit by one of
the "good guys".

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 23:55:50 -0700

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Goldhammer wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 09 Apr 2001 13:33:15 -0400,
> > Rob Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > Right. Fascism is characterized by the *state-directed* control of
> > >the economy,
> >
> > Hmm. Sounds like communism.
>
> Precisely.
>
> Communism and Fascism are merely different sides of the same coin.

It seems you have a trailer behind you.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Goldhammer)
Crossposted-To:
24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 07:02:20 GMT

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 04:06:19 GMT,
Thore B. Karlsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 01:06:51 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Goldhammer) wrote:
>
>>>Didn't read all of your requiremnets, but EMACS is THE editor.  Like it
>>>or not, it what all other editors try to be.
>
>>Vi does not try to be Emacs.
>
>And thank heavens for that.

Consider how many elisp packages
there are providing emulation modes
for other editors, including one for vi.
Then you will see that it is not
"all the other editors" that are trying
to be Emacs, but that Emacs is trying
to be "all the other editors".

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thore B. Karlsen)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 07:16:20 GMT

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 07:02:20 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Goldhammer) wrote:

>>>Vi does not try to be Emacs.

>>And thank heavens for that.

>Consider how many elisp packages
>there are providing emulation modes
>for other editors, including one for vi.
>Then you will see that it is not
>"all the other editors" that are trying
>to be Emacs, but that Emacs is trying
>to be "all the other editors".

Once the shift-ctrl-meta double cokebottles take their toll it must be nice
to switch to vi/Viper. :) Emacs is a pain to use on my laptop because of the
insane key combinations. Vi wins hands down. And ever since I found out that
vim could be set up in about 3 lines to behave like I wanted it to behave,
while I never ever got Emacs to behave properly even with an .emacs the size
of a book I haven't used Emacs on my desktop either.

Sure, Emacs is configurable, but only with a lot of work. And even then it
might not be the right editor for you, so it's not the right answer for
everyone.

--
"By the time we've finished with him, he won't know whether
he's Number Six or the cube root of infinity!"

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: another example of why Linux is brain dead.
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 19:15:54 +1200

Well, I don't consider my self a genius, however, I was able to get my
CD-Writer working, and all it is a generic IDE ATAPI CD-Writer.   People
who give up too easily never get anywhere in life, and mat@cd is the prime
example.

Matthew Gardiner

--
Disclaimer:

I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)

If you do not like it go: [rm -rf /home/luser] and
have a nice day :)

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 19:20:34 +1200

Remeber the amiga? wanted to copy something, copy [file] from df0: to df1:  Plain
English.

Matthew Gardiner

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NT secure server space majority?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 19:24:00 +1200

Depends in what market place.  In terms of Webserver, sure, mind you,
basically and OS can be a webserver, however, in the real world, as servers
in organisations, you will find that there will always remain an
UNIX server churning away in the back ground, with out any problems, whilst
those who have chosen the Windows NT route suffer from the daily hell that
is admining Wintel servers.

Matthew Gardiner

From: John Hawkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 Apr 2001 03:26:21 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thore B. Karlsen) writes:

> Once the shift-ctrl-meta double cokebottles take their toll it must be nice
> to switch to vi/Viper. :) Emacs is a pain to use on my laptop because of the
> insane key combinations. Vi wins hands down. And ever since I found out that
> vim could be set up in about 3 lines to behave like I wanted it to behave,
> while I never ever got Emacs to behave properly even with an .emacs the size
> of a book I haven't used Emacs on my desktop either.
>
> Sure, Emacs is configurable, but only with a lot of work. And even then it
> might not be the right editor for you, so it's not the right answer for
> everyone.

I'm too devoted to all the mode-based functionality that emacs offers
to leave it behind, but I'm a devoted Viper user after just a couple
weeks of exposure.  The vi keybindings are fantastic.  Dual mode seems
unnatural at first, but if you just think of editing as a game, it's
pretty painless to pick up, and heavens! what good use you can put
that real estate to!

For anyone who wants to try viper, may I cordially invite you to check
out my Introduction to Viper for Emacs Natives at

http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~jshawkins/viper-sample

(This has met with the author's approval for inclusion, and I would
love to have people try it out and comment on it so I can polish it!)

Regards,

John

PS note this is for EMACS users who want to learn VI.  If you're going
the other direction, you needn't bother with my intro.  Going from vi
to emacs was the whole motive for viper in the first place, so I have
nothing to add.  :)

PPS emacs is rather a pain to configure in depth for new users, but I
would argue that its default behavior is no less reasonable than vim,
and also point to the EMacro project at sourceforge, which is
attempting to make it even smoother.  Check it out!

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Bill Gates Gets Hacked!!
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 00:26:46 -0700

Viagra Sale Cyberprank
  Angers Bill Gates
      by Andy Soltis
    http://www.nypost.com/
         4-9-1

A young British hacker obtained Bill Gates' credit card number and
used it to order Viagra sent to the software czar in an effort to show
how vulnerable the Internet is, it was reported.

Raphael Gray, 19, was arrested by FBI agents and British police in his
Welsh hometown of Clynderwen and will be sentenced for unlawful
hacking later this month, The Sun of London reported.

Gray said he sent Microsoft an e-mail, warning it that cybercrooks can
obtain the credit card details of people who shop online.

When Microsoft showed no interest, Gray, then 17, decided to "do
something that might grab their attention."

He said he broke into customer databases of dot-com firms and found
Gates' credit card number in one of them.

Gray ordered the male potency drug sent to Gates at Microsofts'
Redmond, Wash., headquarters.

"I wanted to prove a point," The Sun quoted him as saying.

"I sent Bill a lot of Viagra and I was disappointed not to get a thank
you note for demonstrating the insecurity of the site."

Gray also posted the credit card number of Gates and 23,000 other
people on his own Web site.

Gray was questioned for 14 hours and ultimately agreed to a plea
bargain.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Goldhammer)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 07:56:48 GMT

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 02:02:36 +0100,
pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Goldhammer wrote:
>
>> It's confusing because IDE/ATAPI is confusing. If the
>> desktop world all used SCSI as the gods decreed they should,
>> nobody would be confused. But man has fashioned for himself
>> graven images like IDE, and strayed from the path of
>> righteousness.
>
>I shall endeavour to switch from my IDE madness if thou can provide a
>gift of the overpriced controller cards and the overpriced devices to
>which it connects. The SCSI vendors pockets groan with the gold that
>hath been confiscated from thy performance freaks.

And the Prophet saw his people groaning
under the yoke of tyranny; across the land,
PHBs savagely flogging admins for the merest
moment of down-time. And the Prophet spake
unto the Pharaoh: "Let my people go!" But
Pharaoh's heart was hardened, and he said:
"Ye shall maintain the twice the uptime, ye
shall transfer twice the data, but now ye
shall do it without SCSI."

--
Don't think you are. Know you are.

Subject: Re: MS and ISP's
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Allen)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 08:01:08 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, JS PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Once again, Microsoft enjoys no "right" to be on any computer...and never
>has.
>Anyone wishing a different OS can simply buy a computer with a different OS
>on it, or commission one to be built, or build one themselves!
>OS choices begin here:
>http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Software/Operating_Systems/

Your description leads me to believe that the only way MS could have a
monopoly according to you is if Congress outlawed any non MS OS.  That
seems to be a different definition than anybody else uses.

Do you make a habit of making up your own definitions and ignoring the
legal ones ?

Buying a PC with anything but Windows preinstalled was impossible three
years ago and requires determination even today.  Buying a different
kind of computer to avoid Windows gives up the low cost and abundant
variety of peripherals available only on the PC architecture.

Having an OS without applications is of zero value.  Applications turn
a useless pile of parts into a useful tool.  CPM was very popular but
when the newer applications went to MSDOS it died within two years.

Building a large number of apps is not "simple."  That is why Judge
Jackson referred to "the applications barrier to entry".

The Linux community has been acquiring apps furiously for years and has
only recently acquired enough to begin being noticed by the mainstream
users.  The number available does not, yet, appear to be enough to make
abandonment of Windows compelling for most people.

More find Linux to be a reasonable replacement every day and every day
more apps are added to the list so the balance will shift but it has not
happened yet.

--
   Linux -- The Unix defragmentation tool.