From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 23:05:52 -0500

the_blur wrote:

> So why exactly do WE need to hear about this?
>
> If you're not willing to make things better, don't bitch. You didn't pay for
> the OS. And certainly no one made you buy it. If you're not contributing
> anything to Linux, it doesn't need you.
>
> I installed the same version of Mandrake you did. I couldn't figure out how
> to set up a network card (I'm a TOTAL newbie). I booted up windows, logged
> on to #linuxnewbies and someone there was nice enough to tell me what to do.
> I had an answer from a Linux user (who seemed very knowledgeable) in less
> than an hour.
>
> If you want help, it's there. You just have to look.

This is the first sensible thing I've seen you write.

Keep it up.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is design really that overrated?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 23:10:35 -0500

Frank Van Damme wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Let's see... the splash screen goes up for about 0.5 seconds during the
>
> 3 secs at least

Terrors!

> > reboot process...and is NEVER SEEN AGAIN FOR MONTHS AND MONTHS AND
> > MONTHS.
>
> Most regular users use their computer for just a few hours. some 15
> minutes, just for checking their mail. Having a linux box  doesn't mean
> you gotta keep it up for weeks.

Actually, Linux / Unix systems are DESIGNED to be up 24-hours/day.

Housekeeping operations are automatically done by the cron deamon
as specified in /usr/spool/cron/crontabs/root.

If the machine is not on at the specified time, then those
tasks don't get done.

By the way...power-cycling computer equipment is damaging to it
in the long run.  All the computers in my house stay powered up
24-hours/day, (except for the LoseDOS box, which occassionaly
gets its kernal so badly corrupted that the stupid thing won't
even respond to a reset...damned piece of shit).

> > Good god, what a pathetic thing to concentrate on.
>
> I get depressed by sucky splash screens

Get a life.

> If I show Linux to someone, I want to IMPRESS people. Grey isn't
> impressive, it's depressive.

Do you judge an automobile by what color filter paper is used
in the oil filter?

> Best wishes
> --
> Never underestimate the power of Linux-Mandrake
> 7.2 on an AMD K7 800 / 128.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler review.
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 23:12:19 -0500

kiwiunixman wrote:

> Or the New Zealand Version: Windows Haka

Alla versions ofa Windows is a Hacka...

> Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>
> > kiwiunixman wrote:
> >
> >> Is Microsoft going to release a Scottish version, Windows Bagpipes :)
> >

> > Bagpiper.
> >

> >> kiwiunixman

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:12:17 GMT

"PLZI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:3J6V5.132$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > "PLZI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > Now, very slowly, please explain to me, what is MS supposed to do with
NT
> > > group information? Provide a NT Group support for all *nix platforms?
> >
> > When did documenting your protocol without NDA restrictions become
> > 'support'?   The other platforms will take care of themselves, given
> > the opportunity.
>
> NT Groups are not a part of the protocol. They are part of a service,
which
> USES the protocol. The service is NOT required to actually use the
protocol.

Perhaps in your universe you use file sharing protocols without the
corresponding authentication and authorization being done but that
is not the way it works here.  Would you use an MS server if they
omitted handling of these steps in their servers too?   If not, then
don't claim it isn't necessary for a competing server to do likewise.

> > Yes, Microsoft made millions on upgrade licenses simply because they
> > arranged to have Office97 included or as a cheap extra with new PC's
> > and immediately everyone else in the office could no longer read the
> > boss's email until they got the upgrade themselves.   Getting client
> > software on every desktop that will not interoperate completely with
> > any other vendor's server, and charging client license fees for that
> > server even if you only authenticate against it is another stab at the
> > same thing.
>
> You are talking about some obscure issue of sending and receiving
documents
> as attachments. And this somehow violates the SMTP protocol standard?
Like,
> how? Please understand, these are two separate issues.

Actually I'm talking about the way Microsoft products abuse their customers
and it is all the same issue when they make claims of interoperability
and observing standards but in fact make sure that competitive products
will not interoperate usefully.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 23:12:46 -0500

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8vthhu$5kru8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > [trimmed comp.sys.mac.advocacy]

> > OS
> destined
> > >
> > > OK, fair enough.  It sounds pretty nice, esp. the behavior you've
> > > described when ctrl+alt+delete is pressed.  IMO, UI only matters to end
> > > users, but I guess that's what Microsoft's aim is:  ease of use, etc.
> > > You forgot to mention how well it runs your existing Win 95/NT 4.0/Win
> > > 2000 apps.  Also, how well does it run Win 3.1 apps?  Can you format a
> > > floppy and do anything else while the floppy is formatting?  Just
> > > kidding.
> >
> > My Whistler is a workstation version, so it would be optimised to the
> user.
> >
> > I didn't mentioned it because I didn't have the time to test it.
> > My dialer, which is a known trouble maker, is working, I'm now going
> through
> > the phase of testing the applicaiton support.
> > I can format a floppy and work while it's formatting, (although I don't
> deal
> > with floppies this often)
>
> Does print spooling bog the system down as noticably as in NT?

Practically invisible.

> <snip>
>
> --
> Tom Wilson
> A Computer Programmer who wishes he'd chosen another vocation.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:15:32 GMT

How come there is always a small portion of any OS population that
always experiences problems when installing an OS? When I upgraded from
Windows 2000 Pro to SuSE Linux Professional, I completely wiped my HDD
using Seagate Ontrack (completely wipe's all information off the disk),
installed SuSE Linux Professional 7.0 without any problems, like the
majority of users.  Fortunately, most Linux converts realise that you,
skully1900, are in the minority, and most users get their Lintel box up
and running with out any hassle.  The computer I use has a Pentium III
550 Processor (on a Intel BX motherboard), SB Soundblaster Live, 10gig
HDD, Zip100 IDE ATAPI Drive, 1.44 FDD, 40x CD-ROM, TNT2 32MB Graphics
Card and an External SwannSmart 56K V.90 Modem.  Followed the standard
installation, no problems.

Just as a last note, I saw a computer being sold, and one of the
downgrades, along with no modem, was, no OS (Windows 98) installed....I
would actually consider it an upgrade!

kiwiunixman

<DELETED STORY AS IT REACHES TEN OUT OF TEN ON THE BULLSHITOMETER>

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:21:57 GMT

"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> So, MS wanted to be sure that this would be as unix unfriendly as
> >> possible then?  Looks like monopoly action to me.
> >
> >Now, very slowly, please explain to me, what is MS supposed to do with NT
> >group information? Provide a NT Group support for all *nix platforms?
>
> Well, they could have made getting the group information a separate
> request.  That way, an NT server could provide that, while an existing
> Unix server could still authenticate users.  This method would avoid
> the need to either replace existing Kerberos servers or have separate
> authentication for NT and Unix.  It would have taken a few milliseconds
> longer to log in though.

Of course it would also mean that you didn't have to pay client licenses
for all your existing kerberos clients like you will if you are forced to
consolidate everything under Win2k domain/active directory control
to make a few parts work right.

> I don't know that much about Kerberos, but my meager understanding is
> that supporting this kind of thing is the purpose of ticket-granting
> tickets.  User authenticates and gets a ticket, which he then uses to
> obtain other services.  Joining an NT domain and getting group rights
> can be viewed as one of those other services.
>
> Was that slow enough for you?

How does it make Microsoft rich at our expense that way?

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 17:26:04 +1300

What I don't understand is the big hype surrounding AOL? From what I
have seen, it is like an over-hyped Compuserve. I use Clearnet (New
Zealand (owned by British Telecom)), and I don't have to worry about all
the shit like "intergrated browsers, "special dialers" and so-called
enhance user experience.  From what I have read by users of AOL in
Aussie, it is really shit in all aspects.

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 17:37:03 +1300

1. Comparison: Windows is like a Concord, is has been riding high for a
long time then it will crash and burn in a big heap as it's viability is
reduced by better, more well designed aircrafts.

2. Comparison: I  see Microsoft like Boeing, it has been the major
producer of large, commercial airliners, Linux is like the Airbus,
although in the past, only a small number of airlines bought their
aircrafts, however, they have gained some very lucrative contracts with
airlines such as Qantus recently.

kiwiunixman