From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So much for modules in Linux!
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:57:33 -0400

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
> > For something that "just works", why does it suck up so many man-hours
> > for re-installation of things that have already been installed?
> >
> > Hmmmmmmmmmmm?
>
> How should I know?

so, you admit that "it just works" is....a baldfaced lie.

thank you

> Besides, where in my post do I say that?

You didn't...but thank you for admitting what the truth is.

Hope that helps.

> --
> ---
> Pete Goodwin
> All your no fly zone are belong to us
> My opinions are my own

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Jerry Coffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 10:07:09 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

[ ... ]

> JUDGE JACKSON HIMSELF said that they were lying, you ignorant sack of shit.

Yes, and the appeals court has made it clear that if it was in their
power, they'd get Judge Jackson removed immediately.  They openly
stated that his comments were grossly inappropriate at best; they
made it clear that his judgement was poor (a serious accusation when
his entire job of a judge is to show, well, good judgement) and
probably bordered on being a crime in and of itself.

In short, Judge Jackson's comments prove a lot more about Judge
Jackson himself than they ever have or will about Microsoft.

--
    Later,
    Jerry.

The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Date: 12 Apr 2001 10:54:31 -0500

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:03:34 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Pete Goodwin wrote:
>>
>> I'm using SuSE 7.1 Personal after all my struggles with Mandrake 7.2.
>>
>> [-snip-]
>>
>> Why doesn't it work? I have two network cards. Both are supported, both are
>> modules. If I let the system boot they work fine. If I switch on DHCP, oh
>> dear, the system gets very confused and tries to assign the wrong driver to
>> the wrong network card.
>>

>From many of the subsequent posts in this thread it has become obvious
that you refuse to actually READ the boot.local and other files that
you are editing.  Stop, take a deep breath, and THINK for a moment.
boot.local is for post boot and pre run level 1 stuff.  You need to
customize your network startup/config in run level 3 scripts.

On a related note.  Also in subsequent posts you imply that Windows
"just works".  I would like a show of hands.  How many people have
TWO network cards in their Windows machine with each card using DHCP
for configuration?  OK, now, how many of you people with two network
cards in your Windows machine using DHCP for configuration had it
"just work" automatically with not manual configuration at all?
If you lie and raise your hand........

Read the posts in this thread and discover that Peter Goodwin is not
the sharpest pencil in the box.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:00:33 -0400

Phillip Lord wrote:

>   Gamma> And this is just for bare emacs; multiply all numbers by
>   Gamma> around 8 or so for xemacs with news, ftp, fried okra, mashed
>   Gamma> potatoes, etc...
>   >>  You want the additional functionality you have to pay something
>   >> for it. Given that the VI user probably also has a news reader,
>   >> an ftp client, a mail reader, uses CVS an so on as well, then I
>   >> am not sure that the memory usage is that significant.
>
>   Aaron> Maybe on academic machines.
>
>   Aaron> Most corporate Unix machines NEVER have a new reader on them.
>   Aaron> Many don't even have CVS, as they aren't used for
>   Aaron> development.
>
>         I thought that we were talking about memory usage here. If you
> don't use the news reader and so forth then obvious they do not add to
> emacs' memory footprint.

I'm talking about disk space.

And don't give me the "it's only 10 cents worth of disk space" routine.

Most applications are only a couple cents worth of disk space...but
that doesn't mean you clutter up your servers with every piece of
code you can find on the net.

>         And if you are not using emacs for development, then I agree
> there is little point in using it. I mean I did use to use it only
> for email, but I am a little weird.
>
>   Gamma> And 120 more bucks worth of install time if you're in a
>   Gamma> consultant position and your client doesn't have emacs
>   Gamma> installed, or has the wrong version.
>   >>  It takes me about 2 minutes to install a new emacs on my local
>   >> system. Thats because I have taken care to write my emacs
>   >> customisations (which are pretty extensive) well.
>   >>
>   >> If you move machines a lot then the advantage of VI clearly gets
>   >> greater. In the same way people who swap machines rarely
>   >> customise their desktop, or even their shell.
>
>   Aaron> Clue for the clueless: consulting is where the BIG money is.
>   Aaron> That means working on-site at up to half-a dozen different
>   Aaron> client's locations within a week.
>
>         My friend if money were my motivation I would not be working
> in the public sector now would I? I am fully aware of the of
> consultancy pay scales (not as good as they were now that IR35 means
> our consultants have to pay tax like everyone else!). Perhaps you feel
> I am clueless for not going after the big money? Perhaps I think you
> are clueless for going after the big money?

I have lots and lots of free time AND A comfortable lifestyle

>   >>  Or alternatively you get organised and take around what you need
>   >> on a cd-rom, or put it somewhere that you can get hold of it
>   >> easily.
>
>   Aaron> And fuck up your client's storage management.
>
>   Aaron> No thanks, I like being invited back for repeat business.
>
>         I don't understand. In what way does sticking a cdrom
> onto a machine impact on storage management?
>
>         Look this is getting into a bit of a daft holy war. VI is
> a great editor. I use it a lot, but I prefer emacs. They are very
> different editors, and of course they have advantages and
> disadvantages. Maybe your working life is different enough from mine
> that VI is the right choice. Fine. I do suspect though that if you
> wanted to use emacs you would find a way of getting round the
> problems, and they would be less of a problem than you think. If you
> are happy with VI you don't need to, then thats fine.
>
>         Phil

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New virus attacks Linux and MS OS
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:03:37 -0400

Mikkel Elmholdt wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i en meddelelse
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> <snip>
>
> > > Most Linux users that I know boot into root and stay there.  The easiest
> of
> >
> > You must hang with some pretty stupid people.
> >
> > by the way, how do you become non-root in the typical Winblows desktop
> machine
>
> That's easy if you are running WinNT/2000 in a Windows domain. An ordinary
> user is not automatically granted Administrator rights on their own machine,
> unless the IT guys enable it. That means that you cannot install drivers,
> services, and other stuff.

Considering that LoseNT is rarely installed on the desktop of clueless
newbies...it's irrelevant.

And Lose2000, is a whole whopping, what...0.5% of the desktops?

ooooooooooooooooooo.

> With Win9x it is a different matter, but if you're using that for serious
> stuff, you had it coming anyway.

Yeah, late 1990's, and MafiaSoft was still having trouble implementing
1960's ideas.

> <snipped ridiculous log sig>
>
> Mikkel Elmholdt

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:04:49 -0400

Phillip Lord wrote:

>   Aaron> Dragan Cvetkovic wrote:
>   >>  "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes: > > If I moved
>   >> around from machine to machine a lot (which > > I don't) then I
>   >> would stick emacs with all my configuration and extra > >
>   >> packages and anything else that I wanted onto a CD-ROM, and run
>   >> it off > > there.  > > In that case, you would have a lot of
>   >> clients pissed at you.
>   >>
>   >> Why? he is saying he is going to run it from CD-ROM. Nothing gets
>   >> onto client's hard disk.
>
>   Aaron> run emacs get software upgrade distribution CD swap CD's want
>   Aaron> to edit config files swap CD's want to do upgrade swap CD's
>   Aaron> want to clean up config files swap CD's.
>
>   Aaron> FUCK THAT!
>
>         I don't understand I am afraid. I upgrade the packages for
> emacs probably a couple of times a month, as new versions come
> out. But on my laptop I do so much more rarely, say once every 6
> months, and would happily last for much longer.
>
>         You could do it every year at Christmas.
>
>         Config files would go onto the CD-ROM as I've said, so
> the clean up consists of removing the CD-ROM when you leave. Not
> hard.
>
>         Phil

I'm talking about the config files of the SOFTWARE YOUR SERVICING
AT THE CLIENT SITE.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:05:03 -0400

Phillip Lord wrote:

>   Aaron> Phillip Lord wrote:
>   >>  >>>>> "Aaron" == Aaron R Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>   >>
>   Aaron> Phillip Lord wrote:
>   >> >> >>>>> "Aaron" == Aaron R Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes: >>
>   Aaron> Which means that as soon as your on a new machine, your stuck
>   Aaron> editing WITHOUT your config file....
>   >> >>
>   Aaron> UGH.
>   >> >> This is why God invented NFS mounted home spaces.  >> >> Phil
>   >>
>   Aaron> And if your behind a corporate firewall which doesn't permit
>   Aaron> NFS connections through it....
>   >>  Fortunately god also invented floppy disks.
>   >>

>   Aaron> emacs that fits on a floppy. you're kidding, right?
>
>         We were talking about config files. 1.4M is a hell of a
> lot of lisp.

And the emacs executable????

>         Phil

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:05:35 -0400

Phillip Lord wrote:

>   Thore> I _don't_ want the additional functionality! It's nice to
>   Thore> have it, but as options, not as part of the standard
>   Thore> package. I don't want 47MB worth of crud that I'm never going
>   Thore> to use.
>
>   Thore> Emacs should stick to being a text editor, not an application
>   Thore> environment.
>
>   >> I like it as an application environment.
>   >>
>   >> The idea of shipping a minimal emacs has been suggested for a
>   >> while, on top of which you could add just the packages you use. I
>   >> think that this would be a good idea, but I don't think that the
>   >> woman power is there to do it at the moment. To be honest I doubt
>   >> that it ever will be. 47MB of disk space is just not a lot these
>   >> days.
>
>   Thore> Sigh..
>
>   Thore> So it's not a lot. It's still more than even Microsoft
>   Thore> Office. It's more than DJGPP.
>
>   Thore> That you in most cases have lots of space doesn't justify
>   Thore> wasting it. I just don't buy into that philosophy.
>
>         Neither do I.
>
>         As I said I agree with you that reducing the amount of space
> that emacs takes would be a nice idea. The core would probably fit
> into 10M or so I think.

Translation: SEVEN floppies, not one.

>         But at the moment emacs does not have an advanced package
> manager (XEmacs has something of the sort, but I don't know how good
> it is), which is what it would really need, as peoples favourite
> packages vary pretty widely.
>
>         Saving space is generally a good idea, but there is a cost
> benefit pay off here. Writing a package manager, producing a minimal
> emacs, and packing up many of the current standard packages as
> optional ones, would be a lot of effort. Reducing the disk space
> requirement is I am afraid not as much of a pressing priority as it
> once was. It is a good idea, and would be a good thing, but at the
> moment its not that likely.
>
>         Phil

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: More Microsoft security concerns: Wall Street Journal
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:14:05 GMT

On 12 Apr 2001 09:48:13 -0600, Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Nothing is better than ncftp.

Except maybe wget and a cron job...still on a 56K line at home.

> You know, life is better after you killfile Aaron -- then you don't
> have to listen to him pretend he knows what he's talking about, or
> read his way-too-long signature either.

And it sure cuts down the volume of posts in this group as well.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Basement Boy: Aka Aaron Koookis
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:06:43 -0400

Karel Jansens wrote:

> Chad Everett wrote:

> > >Yes, but that's Mozilla,  I'm talkin' Netscape 4.76, and there is no
> > >source code for that branch.  Mozilla is not Netscape;  it is a totally
> > >re-vamped open source version of Netscape.  Netscape 4.76 is
> > >closed-source.
> > >

> > OK...you're correct that it would be very hard to get the source code for
> > netscape 4.6 or 4.7x.
> >
> > but the POINT is that it is very easy to modify a different newsreader (slrn,
> > mozilla, etc) and make headers look EXACTLY like those generated by netscape 4.6
> > or 4.7x
>
> I can only follow part of this thread (Aaron Kulkis is in my killfile),
> but I have to ask anyway: What could _possibly_ be the point of
> maskerading a newsreader to make it pretend it is another newsreader??

Keeps me from being targeted by virus freaks.

> Wait, I just thought of one: NetScape 4.04 for OS/2 used to have the
> option to change its headers from the config menu - no recompile needed,
> chaps! - because there were at the time a number of sites that simply
> refused to load if your headers didn't say that you were running some
> kind of Windows operating system. So NetScape for OS/2 pretended to be
> NetScape for Windows, and the stupid sites would load. But this would
> only be of importance if you used NetScape as a browser _and_ as a
> newsreader as well. And from what I read, Kulkis does not use NetScape
> as a newsreader, so WTF????
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Karel Jansens
> "You're the weakest link. Goodb-No, wait! Stop! Noaaarrghh!!!"

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Brian Langenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hmm getting tired of this!
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 16:15:29 +0000 (UTC)

tony roth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: hate to be a killjoy but another one bites the dust!
: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/migration/hotmail/default.asp

I wonder how long it'll take before they finally migrate the
actual storage from UNIX, rather than just the CGIs and web servers.

(Check under "Operations Guide":
 "RDIST was the logical choice at Hotmail because the storage machines are
 still running UNIX and RDIST was already in use.")

Nice to see them making progress, though.