  Re: Netscape review. ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Whistler review.
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:22:54 -0500

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Tom Wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Pro,
> > > 650MB,
> tar,
> > > gzip,

> looked.
> > > 650Mg
> problem.

> > > That'd change if CS students were forced, for at least one semester, to
> > > write assembly code for a small 65xx based system with 8K. Learning how
> > > do things compactly and efficiently would be the result.
> >
> > True.
>
> Picture Aaron, if you would, an eighteen year old college freshman. He's a
> whiz with VB.
>
> The Assignment: A simple, text prompted, artillery game. (You know the type)
> using the above mentioned hardware and an assembler.
>
> Interesting visual, huh?

And totally worthless.

> --
> Tom Wilson
>     Go home Al....
>     Game over, man!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:23:20 -0500

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Tom Wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Pro,
> > > 650MB,
> tar,
> > > gzip,

> looked.
> > > 650Mg
> problem.

> > > That'd change if CS students were forced, for at least one semester, to
> > > write assembly code for a small 65xx based system with 8K. Learning how
> > > do things compactly and efficiently would be the result.
> >
> > 68xx would be better.
> >
> > The 65xx line is only appropriate for industrial microcontrollers
> > and toys.
> >

> And therefore an excellent tool to teach floating point theory!
> I'm a sadist, Aaron, not a realist.<g>

Yes, you are.

> --
> Tom Wilson
>     Go home Al....
>     Game over, man!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:24:25 -0500

kiwiunixman wrote:

> So, when word97.exe is 20MB is size, it indicates to the customer,
> "oooooooooooooo look at all the features", when in hindsight, if they
> were educated, they would actually say, "oooooooooooooo look at that
> bloated application".  I have used Lotus Smart Suite on Windows, a full

precisely.

> install only takes up 200-250MB, compared to Office 2000 which uses
> 400MB for the first CD-ROM, and god knows how much for the second.  The
> best part about Smart Suite and Wordperfect is that they do not force
> you to install a browser, unlike Microsot which forces you to install
> IE, yet we still have idiots buying Office? I just donot understand how
> their brain works in these people.

Most people are idiots.

> kiwiunixman
>
> Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>
> > kiwiunixman wrote:
> >
> >> I wonder who the developers are who develop the apps at Microsoft, does
> >> the big Microsoft think tank say to the developers to write a program
> >> with a whole heap of features (that no body except the 0.01% who find
> >> them useful) and not to worry about efficiency.  For once I would like
> >> Microsoft to set a base system that all their Office and Operating
> >> System (Client)  software should work at a reasonable level on, say a
> >> Pentium 100 with 850 Mb HDD and 32MB Ram, if it doesn't perform, back to
> >> development until is does, then finally Microsoft will realise that
> >> every computer user does not have a bottom-less pit of money in their
> >> back yard so that they can upgrade their hard disk, memory, and
> >> processor so that they (the consumer) can use the new version of Office
> >> and Windows, why not stick with the version they already have? well,
> >> their work has upgraded, hence the new suite file types are not
> >> compatible with the previous release...could all this bloatware be a big
> >> a conspiracy theory....Microsoft colluding with Hard disk, memory and
> >> processor manufacturers. :) so that they (hardware manufacturers) can
> >> sell more of their products.
> >

> > You don't understand...BLOAT is actually  a Microsoft sales tactic.
> >
> > First, you upgrade Word...which slows down your old system...
> > so, then, you try upgrading the OS...which ends up slowing down
> > the system even more...
> >
> > finally, you throw up your hands in disgust, and buy a whole
> > NEW computer....thus paying for ANOTHER copy of Word, and ANOTHER
> > copy of the OS.
> >

> >> kiwiunixman

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:26:01 -0500

Josiah Fizer wrote:

> Ayende Rahien wrote:
>
> > "mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > about
> > underwear

> > be

> > drivers

> > scanner,

> > long

> > just
> > >
> > > Ah, you know so little.  Look up debian and see what you can have,
> > > fully automatically installed.  A mere 1500 is nothing.  You really
> > > have swallowed the microsoft line here.
> > >

> > > You can have as many as you like with linux, no arbitrary limits.
> > > No 'no one *need* 1500', no '640M is enough for anyone'.
> >
> > Why would you need 1500 applications?
> > Give me a good reason why would you need 1500 application installed.
>
> The trick is that he's counting things like grep, ls and man as "applications".
> By that logic I have 1200 or so "applications" on my NT workstation, 1500
> wouldn't be much of a stretch.

Wrong.  ls, man, and grep are part of the base installation.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:27:17 -0500

"J.C." wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:12:49 +0000, mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >>No one *need* 1500 apps on a machine.
>
> If someone needs to do 1500 different things, then they'll have to install 1500
> different apps. This ain't MS Office/windows/other shitty MS products that try
> to do _everything_ (and screw everything up royally in the process...)
>
> >Ah, you know so little.  Look up debian and see what you can have,
> >fully automatically installed.  A mere 1500 is nothing.  You really
> >have swallowed the microsoft line here.
>
> Dude, you're forgetting SuSE and their half-dozen or so CDs... ;)

SuSE is really great.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone have to use (*GAG*) Windows on the job?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:18:32 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Charlie Ebert:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Neither Microsoft nor Microfocus seems to
> have an answer for this other than their
> use.

Interesting that Microsoft wouldn't send someone on site to work with
you to fix it.  We had a problem in NZ with a single Exchange server
with a major MS client, we had a Microsoft engineer on site for several
days working it out.

> Our servers will stop and start 5000 programs
> per day.  At ususally the 6500 pid level
> they will start failing, one by one.

Why so many?  (Curiousity factor here...)

> And the man is correct.
> Microsoft is a peice of shit for a server.
>
> The workstations we have aren't much better.
> You can edit and compile programs for 3-4
> days before the same thing happens with them.

Our developers don't seem to have the same problem.

> Now, I've told you the truth.  We have
> complaints filed with Microsoft.

As have I.

> And you've been given the straight stuff
> here.  And I already know your going to
> act like a baby and call me a liar,
> but he other people reading this won't
> think so.

Why would I call you a liar?  Don't hold me to your low standards.  All
I can say is that our experience with NT as a server is different from
yours.

> So you have it.  I answered your question.
> They don't handle heavy loads very well
> at all.

OK, so the next question is: Given that you are having so many problems
with the NT servers, and this must be causing interruption to the
business, why haven't you migrated to Unix?

Stu

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Netscape review.
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 04:30:22 -0500

spicerun wrote:

> Chad Myers wrote: