Linux-Advocacy Digest #605, Volume #30            Sat, 2 Dec 00 12:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Re: Whistler review. (kiwiunixman)
  Re: Whistler review. (kiwiunixman)
  Re: OS Sound OFF. (Byron A Jeff)
  Re: The Sixth Sense (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Whistler review. (kiwiunixman)
  Re: The Sixth Sense ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Whistler review. (kiwiunixman)
  Re: Whistler review. (kiwiunixman)
  Re: Whistler review. (kiwiunixman)
  Re: OS Sound OFF. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Whistler review. (kiwiunixman)
  Re: OS Sound OFF. ("Adam Ruth")
  Re: The Sixth Sense (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Red hat becoming illegal? ("Ayende Rahien")
  A little advocacy ("Adam Ruth")
  Re: OS Sound OFF. (David Dorward)
  Re: Whistler review. (kiwiunixman)
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! (Russ Lyttle)
  Re: Whistler review. (kiwiunixman)
  Re: Anyone have to use (*GAG*) Windows on the job? (Pim van Riezen)
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! (Russ Lyttle)
  Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever (Giuliano Colla)
  Re: OS Sound OFF. (Cihl)
  Re: OS Sound OFF. (spicerun)
  Re: Netscape review. ("Chad C. Mulligan")
  Re: OS Sound OFF. (Paul Wilson)
  Re: Whistler review. (spicerun)
  Re: C++ is very alive! (Russ Lyttle)
  Re: Whistler review. ("Chad C. Mulligan")

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler review.
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 04:12:30 +1300

<snip>

hmmm, 3 days and no reply, stumped for a rebuttle?

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 15:19:26 GMT

<snip>

Maybe I should talk about the colour scheme of my house and how it
compliments the surround environment....please....lets get back to the
technical merits of an operating system, rather than the randy, dandy,
cotton candy GUI of whistler.

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Byron A Jeff)
Subject: Re: OS Sound OFF.
Date: 2 Dec 2000 10:13:43 -0500

Slackware 7.0 and 7.1 on most of my machines. Ultility machines like firewalls
running older versions of Slackware.

BAJ

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 15:22:10 GMT

Giuliano Colla wrote:

> As far as RAD are concerned, I'd give a look at Borland's Delphi. It
> uses Object Pascal instead of C++, which, once you're familiar with it,
> has a number of advantages. All the object logic is the same, so you
> don't have to learn it twice, but there's quite a number of things which
> make it much more friendly and fast to use.

One of the things I absolutely HATE about C++ Builder is that the
component library, VCL, is written in Object Pascal.  This code is
well written (I used to use Pascal a lot, so I can read it) and has
some nifty features.  Unfortunately, the need to interface with such
code has caused Borland to incorporate the following boners into their
C++ compiler:

        x Proprietary keywords, such as __published and __closure.
        x A non-standard order of construction of class members.

That second boner drove me absolutely bugfuck until I realized what
was going on.  A C++ where you can put some members in an initializer
list, but not others, is completely crazy.  Sigh.  Had to get used to
it.

As an aside, even C++ Builder 5 is as buggy as hell, and they played
Microsoft by radically changing the format of their project files.
Builder 4 project files will be converted automatically, but incorrectly,
and you have to hand-edit the new project files to fix a few problems.

How the mighty have fallen.

By the way, the basic Borland C++ compiler can be obtained free and
used as is, without all that Delphic crap.

> I'd say that it addresses exactly the points you're stressing.
> Just to mention the most trivial aspects, type checking is very strict,
> and you don't need to maintain header files.

But you still have to maintain header sections.  But that is a feature
that would be nice, as long as it doesn't require the deep nesting
format of Java code.

> Together with the quality
> of the supplied libraries (all sources present, no need to figure out
> what an object method will do, just look at the code), this makes
> debugging and testing extremely faster and safer than with C++.

Not really.  Components do that, if they aren't buggy.  And, as I mentioned,
the components in Builder /are/ Object Pascal objects.

> Code
> efficiency is by no means lower than C++, even if Delphi isn't so
> fanatic about "early binding", meaning that an object member is always
> Formx.Buttony.OnClick and not sometimes Formx->Buttony->OnClick.

In Builder you /must/ /always/ use components on the heap.  Therefore the
pointer notation must always be used in VCL modules.

> It doesn't invent the right objects or protocols for you, but it gives
> you a very good hand in writing them fast and robust, and testing and
> debugging become fast and easy (well, almost).

Once you get over the perversion of C++ that is C++ Builder.

> Moreover, Delphi for Linux should be ready next month, so that
> portability is strongly increased.

C++ Builder should also be available, code name "Kylix".
If they can keep it no buggier than the Windozzzzzzzz version,
it would be a neat way to port our applications to Linux.  But,
we'll undoubtedly stay on the Windozzzzzzzzzz path, with 2000,
unless the powers that be ever get concerned about the tendency for
Windozzzzzzzz to be radically rewritten every few years.
(Then again, maybe the Linux code Microsoft is purportedly studying and
adapting will stabilize Windozzzzz more.)

Chris

--
Are you sure you want to read this message?
Click Okay to continue, and Cancel to okay

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 15:23:22 GMT

Bob Hauck wrote:

> Install a Postscript printer driver (e.g. Apple Laserwriter or certain
> HP drivers).  Set it to "print to file".  Go to any Windows app that
> can print, and print.  A box will pop up to ask for the file name.  You
> now have a PS file.  You may have to edit it a bit to remove stray
> control characters at the beginning (esp if you use the HP driver, as
> it wants to tell the printer to switch modes), but other than that
> it'll be a normal PS file.
>
> Yeah, it's sort of the long way around but it works and you only have
> to install the driver once.  After that it's just a matter of selecting
> a certain printer when you want a PS file.
>
> To display PS and to print it on any Windows printer, get ghostscript
> and ghostview.  They work about the same as they do on Unix and are
> freeware.  Oh, and ghostscript can make PDF files from PS and can also
> do some other useful things like converting PS to a Windows Metafile.

Thanks for the good tip.  Shoulda thought o' that meself!

Chris

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 15:24:27 GMT

<snip>

DirectX allows developers to directly access hardware via a software
layer, however, the security issue you bought up isn't DirectX, but,
ActiveX which was a try-hard attempt on Microsoft's part to "increase
the over all user experience", and it only works on IE for Windows.  As
a result, I know little websites that actually employ ActiveX technology
as most sites stick with multi-platforn things like java and Shockwave.

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 17:08:21 +0200

"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> > "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > I meant for Trojans and port 139 exploits to be treated as different.
> > >
> > > To lock down any system, Win or *nix, a hell of a lot of steps have
> > > to be taken.  Maybe a few more for Win, especially Server.  The
> > > end result is a machine no one can use very well.  And often the
> > > quickest cut to this Gordian knot is "social engineering".... calling
> > > some poor dumb peon and eliciting information from him or her.
> >
> > Not that many steps, actually.
> > It goes like this:
> > Shut down the machine.
> > Uplug power cables.
> > Open the case.
> > Remove all network or modem cards.
> > Close the case.
> > Plug power cables.
> > Bott the machine.
> >
> > 7 steps method, and you're 100% safe from hacking attempts.
> > You've my word on it that no other method is that easy, or that
successful.
> > :)
>
> You forgot a few of steps!
>
>   Disconnect data and power cables from floppy.
>   Disconnect data and power cables from CD-ROM
>   Boot and install password on BIOS

Anyone with a screwdirver can remove this & restore floppy & CD-ROM
It's a bit harder to conjour a modem or a network card with only a
screwdriver :)

> Now the only way to install software is using DEBUG <grin>.
>
> By the way, I read that the NT/2000 Resource Kits are just loaded
> with hacking tools.

Hacking tools?

Anyway, now we have a 10 steps, we need two more in order to make it
official.

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 15:31:03 GMT

<snip>

What Conrad doesn't understand is that software in the future, will be
more about providing a service (intergration and maintainance) that
selling the actual products, hence, the reason why most of IBM's profits
are from services, rather than products.

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 15:34:59 GMT

<snip>

Have you always wondered why bill gates never sits on a seat properly?
its because conrade is up bill gates ass.

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 15:45:47 GMT

<snip>

At University I was told by my lecturer, "don't be a Microsoft, remember
to always double check your work and ensure that it is programmed in a
logical order".

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 15:46:51 +0000

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> Everybody who reads this, sound off with your OS please.
> The one your using or like the most.
>
> Then the others you use follow.
>
> Using  Debian 2.3 Woody
>
> Others None.
>
> Thanks
>
> Charlie

SuSE 6.3 for virtually everything
Win 98 so I can test webpages on Internet Explorer and other windows
browsers
--
http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 15:49:42 GMT

<snip>

when at University, we used VB for around 8 weeks to understand the
basic way of programming, the input-processing-output method, however,
the emphasis was mainly put on C/C++ as it allowed student (like me) to
go into the big wide world knowing that you are not restricted to one
particular platform.

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: "Adam Ruth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 08:51:07 -0700

Server:  RedHat GNU/Linux 7
Client:  Windows 98 (just can't give up the games, and hate to dual-boot)
Testing Lab:  Whole buncha stuff.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 15:58:46 GMT

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> > You forgot a few of steps!
> >
> >   Disconnect data and power cables from floppy.
> >   Disconnect data and power cables from CD-ROM
> >   Boot and install password on BIOS
>
> Anyone with a screwdirver can remove this & restore floppy & CD-ROM
> It's a bit harder to conjour a modem or a network card with only a
> screwdriver :)
>
> > Now the only way to install software is using DEBUG <grin>.
> >
> > By the way, I read that the NT/2000 Resource Kits are just loaded
> > with hacking tools.
>
> Hacking tools?

I mean, "system administration" tools...  nltest, getmac, netdom,
reg, regdmp, passprop, dumpel, pulist, soon, remote, shutdown, sc,
kill, auditpol, ipsecpol, and whoami.

This doesn't count the additions in Win 2000, such as runas, secedit,
and dcpromo.

And don't forget about tracert, nslookup, and netstat, and net.

Microsoft is learning from UNIX, it seems.  Lots of tools.
In any case, I have a hell of a lot of reading to do to catch up.

You probably want to buy the second edition of "Hacking Exposed."

> Anyway, now we have a 10 steps, we need two more in order to make it
> official.

Here's two more:

  Kill and bury the IT people who set up the machines.
  Kill the people who buried these people.

Chris

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 17:58:02 +0200

My understanding of the US legal system is miniscule, but check this out:

http://www.upside.com/texis/mvm/ebiz/story?id=3a1c16e71a4

"An agreement called "one source." They have consolidated their entire sales
strategy around Red Hat Linux"

In essense, agreeing not to sell any other Linux dist aside from RedHat.

http://www.siteofthesentient.com/inframe/sherman.anti-trust.act.html
The Sherman Anti-Trust Act:

"Every contract, combination in the form of trust or otherwise, or
conspiracy, in restraint of trade or commerce among the several States, or
with foreign nations, is declared to be illegal."

Isn't this what MS was accussed of?

Granted, Dell is just one OEM, but still...

------------------------------

From: "Adam Ruth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: A little advocacy
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 08:58:40 -0700

8:51am  up 190 days, 14:14,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

Just a little advocacy.

These are my numbers from my Server running RedHat GNU/Linux 6.1.  It's has
been rebooted 4 times:

1) After initial install
2) To take it up to the co-loc facility
3) When a moron at the co-loc facility unplugged it
4) When I (also a moron) accidentally rebooted it thinking I was ssh'd to a
different machine.

We serve ~ 125,000 hit a month (not a really huge amount).  We run a 500 MB
PostgreSQL database for the hits.  We've upgraded Apache twice, PostgreSQL
twice, SSH once, and made a huge number of small changes, all within those
190 days.

And to think that was only my 3rd installation of GNU/Linux.  I'm previously
just an MSCE working on hundreds of Windows installations.  Color me
impressed.

Adam Ruth, past Windows advocate, current Linux advocate.

------------------------------

From: David Dorward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 16:04:19 +0000

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> Everybody who reads this, sound off with your OS please.
> The one your using or like the most.

Smoothwall - firewall
Debian 2.2 - server
Mandrake 7.2 - workstation (also Win ME for watching DVDs)
PalmOS 3.3 - guess

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 16:06:53 GMT

Well, I obtained a Bachelor of Information Technology, I don't call my
self an engineer, rather a The Techno-Muso (aka the Technical and Music)
Guy, the parts I aced were in the area of Business, Operating System
(whilst everyone in the course freeked out at needing to learn the CLI,
I took to it like a fish to water) and Communication.  Later on, I would
like to go back to University and complete a degree in the area of
music, my real forte.

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: Russ Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 16:11:22 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis writes:

> >> Which is not intuitive.  First-time vi users, if they try to do
>
> > Big fucking deal.  NOTHING about computers is "intuitive"
>
> Incorrect; consider the power switch.

I had come to expect ower switches to turn off power. Now, I find, they
don't do that. Turn off the power switch and the PS is still hot, and
several voltages exist in the system. So the Power Switch moves out of
the "intuitive" category.

--
Russ Lyttle, PE
<http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 05:11:44 +1300

<snip>

> Correct, but one has to wonder, due to Aaron's constant nagging about
> Windows not getting features that Unix had ages ago (his words, or at least
> his meaning), why did Unix & Linux, so far, have been unable to produce a
> good GUI system.
> Apple had it for how long, 17 years?

Well, I'd say CDE 1.4 would be a better GUI than Microsoft's one, first
it is light weight (memory and processor wise), second is that is that
it is not screen dominating, thirdly easy to use.  Alot of people would
copy the Apple GUI, but fair the retaliation from Apple.

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: Pim van Riezen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone have to use (*GAG*) Windows on the job?
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 17:02:35 +0100

On Sat, 25 Nov 2000, Glitch wrote:

> I use the RTF format to save documents I make on my laptop. I use
> AbiWord and I email the files to my Yahoo account. When I get to school
> I download the files from my Yahoo account, open the files in Word, and
> then print them out.
>
> Simple and effective.  I get to use a product I like on the platform I
> like and only have to use Word for printing.  What a wonderful way to do
> homework :P

I use whatever I feel like at home and send it as a postscript file to the
printer at the office. No M-SWord involved.

Pi

--
A mouse is a device used to focus xterms.

------------------------------

From: Russ Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 16:22:16 GMT

Tore Lund wrote:

> Could someone please tell me: roughly how does words/minute translate to
> keystrokes/minute?  In the good old days when typing was a prized skill,
> 800 keystrokes/minute was considered a fairly good speed in my
> surroundings.  But I have no idea what that would mean in terms of
> words/minutes.
> --
>     Tore
In my classes we counted 5 keystrokes/word. But that doesn't match the
above posted numbers :
37,500 keystrokes/50minutes = 750 keystrokes/minute = 125 wpm.
OTOH, 800 keystrokes/minute = 160WPM. or 16.7 keystrokes/second. The
best I ever knew could get about 5 keystrokes/second (60wpm) sustained
on first-time text.

--
Russ Lyttle, PE
<http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 16:26:50 GMT

Ayende Rahien wrote:
[...]
> Now I've found it.
> Do you consider unix/linux to be a good OS?
> Do you consider Netscape 6 to be a good browser?
>
> Apperantly, it suffers from exactly the same problem.
> Netscape 6 require /usr/local/netscape to have read/write to *all* users.
> Since it stores *user spesifics* settings in there, instead of storing them
> in /home/<user>/netsacpe

Not exactly the same case. It's just a suggested default
path (unwise suggestion, I agree). I didn't like it, and I
installed to /home/<user>/netscape. Didn't need to get an
updated version, just entered the right path in place of the
default. However I'm not sure it was necessary, because user
specific data are kept in a .mozilla folder on my user home
directory.

------------------------------

From: Cihl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 16:29:49 GMT

Firewall&email: SuSE 6.2 - kernel 2.2.14

Client: SuSE 7.0 -kernel 2.4.0-test11

Other: Windows 98 SE (games)

------------------------------

From: spicerun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 10:30:44 -0600

At Home:

    Computer Firewall & Masquerading to ISP:  Redhat 6.2

    My SMP Computer:  Redhat 6.95 Upgraded to 2.4.0-test11
                                           (will be test12 soon)

    Our Child's computer:  WinME
                                                 (No more upgrades for
this machine
                                                    will be made)

At Work:

    My Work Machine:  Dual Boot - Redhat 6.95 (kernel-2.4.0-test 11)
                                           & WinNT4 (Used for Company
Lotus Notes)

    Server Machine:  Redhat 6.2 Upgraded to 2.2.17

    Co-Workers Machines:  Dual Boot - RH6.95 (kernel-2.4.0-test11)
                                                     & WinNT4

My preferred OS:  Linux

NOTE:  All Redhat Linux Machines (Home & Work) will be Upgraded to Suse
when distributions with a Released 2.4.0 kernel are available.

------------------------------

From: "Chad C. Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Netscape review.
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 16:36:25 GMT

"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:Zl_V5.28179$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:907t3q$7heh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > You mean they made it broken on purpose?  Why?
> >
> > It isn't broken. You can surf to it with any browser that you would
like.
> > It's optimized to IE, of course, but netscape would do just as well.
>
> It works now, but in the recent past the page did not display at
> all under Netscape, either windows or linux.   I don't think anyone
> is going to admit whether this was intentional or they just used
> their own tools that encourage that to happen.

I've never had that problem. In fact 15 months ago I posted a code snippet
from the Microsoft home page showing where they scripted different displays
for different browsers.

> > If you had done some advance HTML-authoring (java-script, dhtml, css)
you
> > would realize that it is a nightmare to try to do it for netscape.
>
> You mean using the MS tool set that only works right when viewed
> with IE?

IE works better, period.

------------------------------

From: Paul Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 10:37:03 -0600

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> Everybody who reads this, sound off with your OS please.
> The one your using or like the most.
>
> Then the others you use follow.
>
> Using  Debian 2.3 Woody
>
> Others None.

Home use: RedHat Linux 7
Others: IRIX 6.5, Solaris 2.6, RedHat Linux 6.1, Slackware Linux 7
Tiny amounts: Win98 for DVD playing (until the commercial player for
Linux is available)

Paul

------------------------------

From: spicerun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 10:38:00 -0600

kiwiunixman wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Have you always wondered why bill gates never sits on a seat properly?
> its because conrade is up bill gates ass.
>
> kiwiunixman

Hmm.....gets mighty crowded with 2 heads up the same ass then.

------------------------------

From: Russ Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: C++ is very alive!
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 16:40:59 GMT

"Donal K. Fellows" wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Russ Lyttle  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > mlw wrote:
> >> When is qsort a bad choice?
> > Most of the time. But it is really bad if the partitioning routine
> > divides the data into sets of 1 element and n-1 elements.
>
> Its even worse when you need a stable sort, since quicksort simply
> isn't.  (Stable sort, where the ordering of A,B,C is guaranteed to be
> unchanged if the comparison function says they are equal.)  If you're
> sorting for presentation to a user, you're really strongly advised to
> use a stable sort, since changing the sorting criteria will have far
> less suprising results then...
>
> Donal.
> --
> Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> -- Name me one elf who wants to go to Blackpool after he dies.
>                                 -- Raymond E. Feist on [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Just to elaborate a bit. An oft overlooked problem is that "is equal to"
does not mean "are the same object". You can get some very strange
problems when someone decides to let an "is equal to" go ahead and do an
exchange.
As a poor example, the series 1,2,3,3,3,4,5,6,7. The threes are "equal".
Permitting an exchange on equal means that the sort could never
terminate as it would always do exchanges on each pass. Large data
systems pick up some second and third order effects.
--
Russ Lyttle, PE
<http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>

------------------------------

From: "Chad C. Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2000 16:42:33 GMT

"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:LgZV5.28093$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:907teu$7nph$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > > So? First, my job description ventures far further than administrating
> > just webservers, I'm
> > > just using webserving as one (1) example of where NT/2k can't keep up.
> In
> > any case, though, my
> > > point is, if NT/2k can't handle the stress of being a webserver, how
is
> it
> > going to handle an
> > > equal amount of _any_ activity, webserving-related or not?
> >
> > Win2k handle the biggest site in the world, and the second most popular.
>
> With help from load-balancing equipment that hides the dead ones,
> protects them from pings, and the like.

Firewalls aside, the loadbalancing is handled by the OS.  Check out theWLBS
http://www.microsoft.com/NTServer/ntserverenterprise/exec/overview/Clusterin
g/CompeteOverview.asp