  Re: Red hat becoming illegal? ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 14:45:25 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >> On the contrary, there is the 150 wpm speed, which is 20 wpm less than
> >> the speed achieved with the DSK.  That is something to indicate that she
> >> could not achieve the same speed on a QWERTY keyboard.

> >> On the contrary, it represents a trial that did not fail to reproduce
> >> the superior speed.  You claimed that "All other trials have failed
> >> to reproduce the results."  At best, you can now only claim "all but
> >> one", until such time as additional results are provided about which
> >> you may be unaware.

> >> That represents only "a" trial.  You claimed that "all other trials"
> >> failed to reproduce the results.  It only takes an example of one
> >> to eliminate the validity of the "all" claim.

> >> Mrs. Barbara Blackburn apparently did.  Do you consider her a "nobody"?
>
> > 1 person does NOT constitute a test group + a control group,
>
> One person DOES constitute "a" trial.
>
> > you IGNORANT FUCKING SHIT-FOR-BRAINS.
>
> Still lacking a logical argument, you resort to invective yet again.
> No surprise there.

I PRESENTED THE GODDAMNED ARGUMENT TWO FUCKING TIMES ALREADY
YOU IGNORANT POOL OF DIARHEA!

> > 12+ years of posting to USENET, and Dave Tholen still has yet to
> > write an opinion based on rational thought processes.
>
> How ironic, considering your response.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how come Dell makes you buy Windows with all their PC's?
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 13:53:27 -0600

"jtnews" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Also, I want to buy a CD-RW drive.  With Dell, for an extra $99, I can
> get one. Also, note that Aslab's price point at the low end is still
> significantly higher than Dell.  Going with Dell, I can get a PC for $678.

Let's take a look at that $678 PC, shall we?

It includes Intel 3D AGP Graphics.

We're not talking about an i740 card here.  It's embedded into the chipset
(this is an i815E chipset).  It doesn't have it's own video memory, and
shares it with system memory (reducing your 64MB by 11MB).

>From what I understand, you cannot use this card with current 2.2.x kernels.
The agpgart patch currently exists only in 2.4.0-test11-pre6.  And since
Dell machines ship with 2.2.x kernels, that means as of today, Linux cannot
be supported on such a machine.

Now, why would Dell sell a system that doesn't work?

------------------------------

From: "the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: OS Sound OFF.
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 14:49:13 -0500

Win98 for design (CorelDraw) / games (counter strike baby!)/ work
(staroffice) / internet sharing

Mandrake 7.2 for tinkering / learning Linux (I haven't figured out how to
share my net connection or start up Samba yet) great server/programmer OS,
but weak fairly unstable (KDE 2.0) desktop. I think Gnome is more stable
right now. Incredibly complex configuration...At least for me...

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 14:52:48 -0500

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Sat, 02 Dec 2000 18:38:26 -0500, Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >well to be honest the legal system never thought we would have such a
> >crybaby loser like we have with Gore so b/c of him we are having a 30
> >day election instead of a 1 day election with some votes counted 5 times
> >and the other 95% counted once.
>
> Gore did win the popular vote nationally, so your man Bush was really
> the minority choice.

Lets say we are watching the world series, and in the first game,
the Los Angeles Dodgers beat the Chicago White Sox by 10 runs,
and then the next 4 games, the White Sox win each game by 1 run.

The Dodgers got 6 more runs than the White Sox....
Big fucking deal...the contest is who can win the most GAMES,
decided upon a comparison of runs scored in a game, ***NOT***
who can score the largest total number of runs as an aggregate whole.

> If the tables were turned, would you be telling
> Bush to concede or would you be insisting that he's only taking
> advantage of the options available and saying that the electoral
> college system needs to be thrown out?

No.  Republicans respect the law as it exists at the time, and work
to enact new laws BEFORE the contest.

Demoncrooks, on the other hand, were willing to go with the law as
long as the law suits their purposes...but challenge the law ONLY
when it isn't going their way  (see: Special Prosecutor laws.
The Democrats were all gung ho as long as it was being used against
Republicans...but as soon as it started being used against a
Demoncrook administration, suddenly, their opinion of the
Special Prosecutor concept changes.)

> --
>  -| Bob Hauck
>  -| To Whom You Are Speaking
>  -| http://www.haucks.org/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: Goodwin Acknowledges he's an idiot.
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 12:22:12 -0800

On Sun, 3 Dec 2000 18:58:09 +0000,
 Pete Goodwin, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>sandrews wrote:
>
>> yah right,  I have been running GNOME with all the goodies for 2 years
>> now and I have yet to have anything GNOME related core.  I haven't had
>> any Linux app core in over a year.   Now what dol the wintrolls have to
>> say now?
>
>Today whilst I was copy 1GByte of data from a locally mounted drive to an
>NFS mounted drive, KDE + X locked up totally. CTRL+ALT+F12 was dead, so I
>tried TELNET. Unfortunately, I don't have that service running, so I
>rebooted.
>
>--
>Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

what does C-A-F12 do?

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 14:00:38 -0600

"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> > Have you even tried comparing memory footprints?
> > Right now, OE is taking 15MB (peak at 30MB), IE 7MB (peak at 17MB).
> > Netscape reached 40MB (peak at 65MB at which point I terminated it
because
> > it seem to just want more and more) easily, by simply surfing with *one*
> > window open. And just openning it would take 22- 25MB.
> > Trying to do things with more than one window open increase memory usage
in
> > a totally unacceptable ways.
>
> On my linux box, Navigator and Messenger use 16.9 Mb.  Adding another
instance
> of Navigator adds about 0.5 Mb.

Something to consider is that Windows counts memory differently.  For
instance, memory mapped files are considered part of the memory footprint,
and Outlook Express opens it's message files as MMF's, thus if you have a
large message file it appears to be using a lot of memory even though it's
not.

Similarly, I've been lead to believe that programs like Elm read their
message files into virtual memory, thus taking actual memory which must be
swapped in and out.

> You have to take these numbers with a grain of salt.  There are different
> ways to grab memory in Win32.  The question may just be how much can you
> do before the "Out of Virtual Memory" box comes up (in NT 4).

That box doesn't mean what you think it does.  It means you've reached the
minimum limit, and that NT has to expand the swap file.

------------------------------

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OS tree - SOUND OFF!
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 12:44:01 -0700

nf wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> >
> > VIC 20.  A commordore based machine with 256K of ram I think.
> >
> Too funny!   Try 2k!!!  (Usable RAM!)

<snip>
My VIC 20 has almost 3K (31??, if a definitive answer is
required, I could reserect it). I got a 24k expansion card for
it at about double the price for the original computer. My VIC
20 provided my with my first real personal computer
experience. The TI99/4A was closed and proprietory. Its
development tools were way beyond my means. The VIC 20 had a
large following, several languages and some excellent books. I
used its Basic and bought figForth and 6502 assembler.  Later,
I acquired the mighty Commodore floppy disk drive.  What an
improvement over loading and saving programs on an audio
cassette tape.  The disk drive was used by my Commodore 64
too.

My computers
1. TI99/4a
2. VIC 20
3, Commodore 64
4. S-100 with 128k, 2 8" floppies running CPM/86 through a
serial terminal. (my first serious computer)
5. S-100 with PC computability card. (did not work very well)
6. A clone 8088 with 640k, 40 megabyte SCSI hard disk running
MS-DOS 2.11
7. 386 clone with 8 meg, 80 megabyte SCSI hard disk running
MS-DOS 3.1 to 5.0
8. 486 clone with 32 meg, 3.5 gigabyte SCSI hard disk running
MS-DOS 5.0/Windows 3.1, Windows NT 3.51 and finally Linux
2.036
9. Pentium I with 64 meg, 9 gigabyte IDE drive (junkyard
salvage) runs Windows 95 (my connection to the Windows world)
10. Pentium II with 256 meg, 10 gigabyte SCSI hard drive
running first Windows 95 and then finally Linux 2.2.10
11. Pentium III with 512 meg, 25 gig SCSI hard drive running
latest Linux kernel.

Computers 8,9, 10 and 11 make up my little LAN.  The Commodore
64 was the last time I bought any computer as a whole system.
I buy computers in pieces to insure quality and I can choose
the operating system.

Michael Vester
A credible Linux advocate

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 14:03:36 -0600

"Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:90e3pb$ospi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Are you really saying there's a version of windows on the market
> >> which can be installed from a CD and does not need to be rebooted?
> >
> >No, nor there is any system that you can do it with.
> >I was talking about removing & adding TCP/IP.
>
> Not had much linux experience then have you - SUSE install CD either boots
> into installer directly or starts installer from DOS with cd driver
loaded.
> Once
> installed linux starts without reboot and almost anything can be
> reconfigured
> without a reboot (add and remove tcp/ip, change ip number, probably
anything
> else except upgrading kernel). Mandrake and other linuxes are almost the
> same
> except needing 1 reboot between installing linux and using it. Windows
needs
> at least 3 reboots just to install it then one for each minor
configuration
> change.

Do you know how you remove TCP from Linux?  It requires a kernel recompile.
So Yes, it does require a reboot to remove it and another reboot to add it
back in.

------------------------------

From: Jim Broughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 20:01:51 GMT

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> The last thread I started concerning the current OS
> your using is very interesting reading and it's
> still getting attention.
>
> I thought it would be interesting reading and
> refreshing to see your PC history's revealed here.
>
> So from the time you first got any kind of PC forward,
> SOUND OFF.
>

> Charlie

 1982) Vic 20 (standard 2k) Mine had 18 (16k module) Still have it.

 1983) C64 Great game machine (loading anything was slow as molasis)
       Yes even with a 1541 5.25 floppy drive and a speedum up kit.
       64k of ram, 2 360k (I think) floppy drives. Still have it.
       though its on boxes just waiting for some deskspace to play
       those old games again. E.A.'s Archon, Beach-Head. Also ran
       a bbs off of a c64 with an older C= 5mb hard drive (what a
        monster that was. It also needed an ieee interface board.)

 1984) C128 (not sure if 1984 is correct here anyone?) 128k of ram
        also used cp/m with this one. Sold it.

 1985 late) Portable C64 Great little machine but the 5 inch color
            screen was hard to deal with. Just gave it a new home
            a year ago. Now it gathers dust in someone elses basement. ;-)

 1986) C= Amiga 1000 the one with the keyboard garage. 1.5 meg of ram.
       The 1.5 meg of ram was via a soldered in hack discovered by one of
       the C= Amiga tech design guys and published on various online
       services. Still ran rock solid. I preformed this hack on about
       5 amiga 1000's.
       Great machince but the expandabilty was terrible hence the solder
       and wirewrap wire.

 1986  8088 homebuilt clone running ibmdos (msdos with ibm badge)
       Used for running a bbs. Had 2 30meg seagate HDs. sold it.

 1988 late) Amiga 2000 5mb ram and 200mb scsi hard drive.
            (still have both amigas and they both still work
            Unfortunatly the monitor doesn't.) I had a usenet connection
            when most people didn't even know what usenet or the internet
            was. This NG reminds me very much of AMIGA ADVOCACY from back then.
            Instead of windows invaders we had the MAC crowd to keep us company.
            The amiga OS is IMHO one of the best to come out of the 80's.
            I used this one until late 1995. When the monitor blew out I gave
            up computing until late 1998. (went cold turkey)

 1998-99 Decided once again that it was time to rekindle my comuputer addiction.
         I built my own. PII-350 with a soyo MB and 64MB ram and an 8gb HD.
         This one still functions as my linux dialup server and firewall.

 NOW     PIII-550 (overclocked to 733. no flames please) Abit BX6-R2 MB, 256mb Ram,
         28gig of HD space (12 for linux) The rest for w98 games (games just
         eat harddrive space) Geforce 2 vid card.
         I currently run Slackware Linux 7.1.

My experience with computers has been decidedly a love for the gameing experience
with Learning about NEW  (to me) os's and programming a very close second.

--
Jim Broughton
(The Amiga OS! Now there was an OS)

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 15:04:18 -0500

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Sat, 02 Dec 2000 18:38:26 -0500, Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > >well to be honest the legal system never thought we would have such a
> > >crybaby loser like we have with Gore so b/c of him we are having a 30
> > >day election instead of a 1 day election with some votes counted 5 times
> > >and the other 95% counted once.
> >
> > Gore did win the popular vote nationally, so your man Bush was really
> > the minority choice.  If the tables were turned, would you be telling
> > Bush to concede or would you be insisting that he's only taking
> > advantage of the options available and saying that the electoral
> > college system needs to be thrown out?
>
> <soapbox>
>
> Actually, Republicans wouldn't have allowed Bush to follow this course.
> They're not stupid. What Gore is doing now is damaging a party already
> banged-up by Clinton. How the hell else, in this strong economy, could the
> election have even been close?  What Gore's doing now is adding more nails
> to the Democratic coffin. I used to be a STAUNCH Democrat, until around
> 1993. The Democratic party, now, isn't the party I used to support. Their
> idiotic post-election behavior just re-enforces that decision. The longer it
> goes on, the less viable the party becomes. A smart Democratic party would
> have gracefully bowed out, allowed the Republicans to have a legitimately
> questionable four year turn at the helm, then come back and clean house in
> 2004. As it stands, they're putting 2002 senate races in jeopardy. Mark my
> words, the longer this goes on, the more seats they'll lose. Now, any
> efforts by them to tie up the senate to counter Bush proposals will appear
> as more sour grapes. In 2004, they're going to nominate Hillary Clinton.
> Just watch. It will be an unmitigated disaster!

The Democrats are at the point of Desperation

Here's what they (the Demoncroos) are facing:

1) No Gore-issued universal pardon for Bill Clinton.
2) Justice Department will FULLY investigate the relationship between
        Bill Clinton, Al Gore, and agents of the (communist) Chinese
        People's Army, including illegal campaign contributions,
        Clinton's executive order MANDATING nuclear weapons research
        facilities REDUCE their counter-espionage actions and precedures
3) Exposure of their fear-tactics to be nothing but lies.
        Democrats have been claiming for years that if the Republicans
        get power, that the result will be concentration camps for
        blacks, and elderly kicked out into the streets to starve to death.

4) Republican control of the education system, resulting in reforms
that start to re-introduce actual EDUCATION in inner city schools.

5) They know that Republicans want to get blacks INTO the work force.
More self-sufficient blacks means fewer parasites who vote straight
ticket Demoncrook.  Democrat strategy is based on maintaining a large
population of people who are kept impoverished so that they can lure
people to the voting booth with promises for more and more handouts.

> IDIOTS!
>
> </soapbox>

They're not idiots...they are ruthless manipulators who are in rational
FEAR OF BECOMING EXPOSED for liars, cheaters, and traitors that they are.

> --
> Tom Wilson
> A Computer Programmer who wishes he'd chosen another vocation.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.