Kulkis")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 14:21:40 -0400

"Joseph T. Adams" wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :> AMD
> :> Cyrix.
> :>
> :> Hope that helps.
> :>
>
> : They do. They have enough of the market in PC chips to qualify as a
> : monopoly. Intel just hasn't been caught using illegal methods to
> : maintain that monopoly. Having a monopoly isn't illegal. Using some
> : monopoly powers to maintain the monopoly is illegal.
>
> Intel has a concentration of power that would be unacceptable had it
> not been arrived at and maintained by mostly lawful and ethical means.
>
> However, it is possible to produce a clone of any Pentium-class CPU,
> and at least one company, AMD, does exactly that.  This is not true of

In fact, Intel even ASSISTS in this process by licensing their patents.

> Windows, since its API is not sufficiently documented.*  Therefore,
> Intel does not, and cannot, as long as this is the case, have the same
> kind of monopoly power enjoyed by Mafia$oft.
>
> Joe
>
>    * Wintrolls: yes, I'm aware that *some* of the API is documented
>      in the MSDN Library.  But much of the documentation is incorrect,
>      and some of it isn't there, and, therefore, it isn't and never
>      has been possible to make another OS compatible with 'Bloze. **
>
>   ** Wine advocates: yes, I know that the Wine folks have done a
>      commendable job of trying.  But it is largely their work which
>      proves that the Win32 API is horribly mis-documented, and that M$
>      software and third-party software built using M$ tools simply
>      wouldn't work if the API were implemented as published - it has
>      many bugs which all this software relies on for proper operation.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles
Subject: Re: there's always a bigger fool
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 14:22:23 -0400

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 09:40:22 GMT, Kelsey Bjarnason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
> >[snips]
> >
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"

> >> M$ requires a reboot any time anything is changed because they STILL
> >> have the CP/M mentality of "well, we can always shut down the machine at
> >> any time"
> >
> >How long is it going to take you to clue in that it is _not_ MS requiring
> >the reboot, but the application vendor?  99 times out of 100, that reboot
> >is completely uneccessary, but you're told to do it anyways, because the
> >twit who wrote the install wasn't smart enough to figure out whether you
> >actually _need_ to do one or not.
> >
> >If one added a little message to one's RPM distributions such that every
> >time the packages were  installed, they would say "Please reboot your machine now",
> >is that a *Linux* problem, or a problem of the git who created the
> >packages?
> >
> >Yes, there _are_ cases where it is necessary to reboot.  They're not
> >nearly as frequent as people seem to think, and let's face it: in an
> >average day, how many new programs do you really install?

> >Unless, of course, it's actually in use by something else.
>
> Well, we've got one Microsoft proponent telling us right here in COLA that
> the reason this guy had his entire Windows installation was because he
> didn't heed the installation app dialog box warning.  You're telling us,
> hey, most of the time it's not really necessary.  Which is it?  In
> reality, of course, these arguments are all symptons of a really bad
> design where users can potentially replace OS DLLs and, you're right,
> the installation app writers have not way of knowing whether a reboot is
> needed or not.
>
> Linux, of course, does not have this issue at all.

I just wanted to see that again

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 14:24:22 -0400

USENET-Forger wrote:

> "Hi!  I am Aaron, I am a WinLose 98 user."  Hiiiiiii... Aaron!

Note the header

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (webgiant )
Subject: Re: Things Linux can't do!
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:29:24 GMT

On Tue, 03 Apr 2001 03:47:34 +0100, Toby A Inkster Esq
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In our last episode, Andy Walker wrote:
>
>:Linux can't crash at random every five minutes.
>
>It can is you write your own "crash daemon" and run it under root.
>
>;-)

Therein lies the dilemma of the engineering mind.

They can fix problems, but sometimes they have fun by working out how
to make a decent computer system behave like a trashy computer system.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Article:  Windows XP won't support USB 2.0
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 14:32:21 -0400

Electric Ninja wrote:

> > USB was stupid from the get-go.
>
> Back it up with fact or at least a decent argument bro.

To begin with: bandwidth.

In an era when 100Mbit/second serial communications, at distances up
to a couple hundred METERS (Ethernet), there's NO excuse for putting
out a serial protocoal as slow as USB(*) that has even shorter runs
(which should allow us to move data at speeds substantially FASTER
than 100Mbit/second).

(*)  hovering in the neighborhood of 1Mbit/sec

Notice how IEEE1394 ("Firewire") is 400 Mbit/second.

Says it all, really.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (webgiant )
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:33:58 GMT

On 14 Apr 2001 00:17:28 GMT, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>"Hi!  I am Aaron, I am a WinLose 98 user."  Hiiiiiii... Aaron!

Forgery?

Or am I still allowed to use such archaic terms as  "Guess someone
left his terminal logged in when he went to the restroom!"

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Big Brother Billy does it again!
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 14:33:44 -0400

Mig wrote:

> Charles Lyttle wrote:
>
> > This is a standard process for MS. Put in a feature to deliberately
> > malfunction with competitors products. Hope users get the impression
> > that it is the competing product that is bad. Then the competition dies
> > and only the MS propritary software is left. I hope they have played
> > this game once too often. Your post makes me think they haven't.
>
> They couldnt possible do something like that with MP3. It would certainly
> be illegal.

Since when has being illegal ever stopped Mafia$oft before?

> Yes they play that game, but they will not sabotage some competitor that
> openly.

Strange...they did EXACTLY THAT to Word Perfect, and others.

>           What i dont understand is why some people here are so concerned
> with MS - i think we should ignore them as long as it does not affect us
> and do our own thing.

Don't be so naive, McFly.

> Stuff like this,  the new anti piracy scheme in XP/Office/etc and the terms
> of usage for Passport are simply wonderfull news for those that use
> competitive OS'es. Just let them dig theyr own grave.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (webgiant )
Subject: Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:36:43 GMT

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001 06:11:02 GMT, "Electric Ninja" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>"Andy Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> Jan Johanson wrote in message <3ab419a9$0$48766$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>> >http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/11929.html
>> >
>> >"Lockheed Martin is working on the design of the new US CVN 77 aircraft
>> >carrier, and Microsoft Federal Systems is to co-operate in the ship's
>> >information technology architecture. This will, we kid you not, be based
>on
>> >Windows 2000. Microsoft Consulting Services will meanwhile chip in with
>> tech
>> >support during the ship's software design, development and deployment."
>> >
>> >Cause the Navy knows what everyone else already knows, W2K is rock solid
>> >enough to trust lives to.
>
>For getting work done I love Win2000 like a charm but I'm scared to death to
>have something like that running one of our aircraft carriers.

Wasn't that USA-China gaffe over a NAVY spyplane?

Forboding of worse things to come?

"Falcon to Base!  Our screens just went blue and we were being buzzed
by a Chinese plane right before they went offline!  <CRASH!>  Oops..."

------------------------------

From: "Electric Ninja" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dave Cutlers Art
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:40:36 GMT

When you understand the message that each picture is saying, and you set
aside your biased Linux rhetoric for a few moments, you might actually grin
in amusement.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Why left-wing communist assholes hate Reagan.  (was Re: Communism,
Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.)
Date: 15 Apr 2001 18:40:52 GMT

Joseph T. Adams ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: According to left-wing communist assholes, anyone who tries to
: dismantle or reform any important part of the welfare state is not
: only eeeevil, bur racist, because left-wing communist assholes want us
: to believe they're the only ones who can "help" poor Black and
: Hispanic people, and that without this "help," they could not possibly
: survive.

Fun problem: Our monetary policy ensures that we can never have full
employment. Since we have a policy of intentional unemployment, it is morally
unacceptable to not have some kind of welfare system. We can quibble about how
a welfare system should be implimented, but one is needed in a regime of
intentional unemployment to cut inflation.

The GOP wants to have its cake and eat it too by having a monetary policy of
intentional unemployment and not having any kind of welfare system. The GOP
will get their wish, but they should be careful about what they wish for.
That's becuse of the upcoming global oil production peak aka Oil Max-Out. In a
regime of a permanent oil shortage that worsens over time, government will
lose power as it's ENERGY that makes government power. After all, you need
energy to fuel the cop cars.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hmm getting tired of this!
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 11:37:58 +0000

Chad Everett wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Apr 2001 15:22:47 +0000, Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Darin Johnson wrote:

> >> And anyone who claims it doesn't exist is also a fraud!  Both sides
> >> should have lots of fraudness in common.
> >
> >As far as I can tell, global warming is indeed a fact.
> >
> >As to what _causes_ it, a whole lot of BS-sing is going on. [*]
> >
> >--
> >Regards,
> >
> >Karel Jansens
>
> Really? How can you tell?  Cause it's warmer outside today than it
> was yesterday?

Of course!
What did you think, that I relied on some crackpot data of average
annual temperatures?
Scientists are loonies anyway. Only Greenpeace and News Of the World
tell the truth.

--
Regards,

Karel Jansens
"You're the weakest link. Goodb-No, wait! Stop! Noaaarrghh!!!"

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 14:56:00 -0400

Bloody Viking wrote:

> Joseph T. Adams ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : According to left-wing communist assholes, anyone who tries to
> : dismantle or reform any important part of the welfare state is not
> : only eeeevil, bur racist, because left-wing communist assholes want us
> : to believe they're the only ones who can "help" poor Black and
> : Hispanic people, and that without this "help," they could not possibly
> : survive.
>
> Fun problem: Our monetary policy ensures that we can never have full
> employment. Since we have a policy of intentional unemployment, it is morally
> unacceptable to not have some kind of welfare system. We can quibble about how
> a welfare system should be implimented, but one is needed in a regime of
> intentional unemployment to cut inflation.

Idiotic Keynesian policies are not only fully discredited, but but
have been ignored by both the Republican Congress AND Alan Greenspan.

That's why unemployment has been so low lately.  Hell, in Detroit,
they fast food places will pay a high school kid, with zero experience,
$9.00 + benefits JUST TO START

> The GOP wants to have its cake and eat it too by having a monetary policy of
> intentional unemployment and not having any kind of welfare system. The GOP

No..New England Republicans (most of whom are demoncrooks but
won't admit it) want the keynesian monetary policy AND the
fucking welfare state.

The rest of the GOP is getting rid of both.  Thanks to Alan
Greenspan, it might just be possible.

> will get their wish, but they should be careful about what they wish for.
> That's becuse of the upcoming global oil production peak aka Oil Max-Out. In a
> regime of a permanent oil shortage that worsens over time, government will
> lose power as it's ENERGY that makes government power. After all, you need
> energy to fuel the cop cars.

No...we'll merely shut down the oil-fired boilers for electric plants
and replace them with Nuclear....like we should have done 30 years ago.

> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.