  Re: Linux is awful ("Tom Wilson")

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Windows review
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 13:35:50 GMT

"JM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 05 Dec 2000 13:51:51 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>

> >"Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> And what does one "learn" on Windows in the first place?
> >
> >Basic user stuff. How to copy files, how to run programs, how to discover
> >what storage facilities (drives) are available on your system, how to get
> >help, etc.
> >
> >In Windows, this is all plainly obvious, or 5 minutes of research would
> >reveal all this to you. It takes weeks in Linux for a newbie to fully
> >learn all the commands and become knowledgeable about the command line.
> >
> >There's a reason why we got away from the command line...
>
> But once you've learnt the commands, you have much more power and
> efficiency than you would have in a graphical interface. A graphical
> interface may be best when you're using multiple programs, or programs
> that require graphics, but you cannot underestime the power of the
> command line.

For you and I, yes. I'm a strong proponent of having both the cmd-line
and the GUI for administrative and power user tasks.

But, if you recall, this thread was about new users and the learning
curve.

Average users would be less productive in the command line due to the
huge learning curve and many other factors.

Like I said, there's a reason we got away from the command line. A
GUI has proven to be more productive (for average and new users, mind
you).

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: LINUX ROCKS AND WINDOWS SUCKS
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 08:48:45 -0500

> That doesn't take away the fact that he's still going to be E X T R E
> M E L Y rich afterwards, richer than most people could ever imagine.
> If he was REALLY trying to be nice, he's give away ALL his money and
> come back down to the level of the rest of us.

Uh...no, then  he'd be a moron. Would you risk you financial stability to be
just like the rest of them? I sure as shit wouldn't.

WHY GO BACK TO STRUGGLING WHEN YOU GOT IT MADE?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Christmas Virus Warning
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 08:52:04 -0500

David Dorward wrote:

> Nigel wrote:
>
> >  Our IT dept. have received a Virus warning this morning.The virus
> > appears as a file attachment called Navidad which is part of an
> > e-christmas card.
> > If you receive such an e-mail please do not open it!
>
> Why? Does it affect Linux users?! :)

Yeah.  It makes us laugh at LoseDOS lusers.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 13:40:48 GMT

"Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Chad Myers wrote:
>
> > "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > And what does one "learn" on Windows in the first place?
> >
> > Basic user stuff. How to copy files, how to run programs, how to discover
> > what storage facilities (drives) are available on your system, how to get
> > help, etc.
> >

> How to obey the One Great Software Company (Microsoft).
>
> Really, how about programming? Or tuning the kernel?

Oh yeah, new users do this quite frequently.
Weren't we talking about new users, aren't we?

> > In Windows, this is all plainly obvious, or 5 minutes of research would
> > reveal all this to you. It takes weeks in Linux for a newbie to fully
>
> What? You're wrong.

Not really. Anti-intuitive commands on the command line, absent documentation
or poor documentation, a buggy and sketchy GUI, even buggier and sketchier
GUI applications (also with no or little documentation) creates a hostile
environment for someone not already coming in with intimate Unix knowledge.
Hell, even the "newbie" sites are hostile and not well collected.

> > learn all the commands and become knowledgeable about the command line.
> >
> > There's a reason why we got away from the command line...
>
> No. The reason is is that you couldn't handle it.

Ok, Mr. Dreamland, you walk into any major corporation and go to, say the
HR department where there aren't too many exceptionally bright people.

Swap out their computer and give them a new one with Linux and no X.

What will happen when they come in in the morning?

"But you can train them!" Really? At LEAST a week of training, if not
several 2-day sessions spread out over months to get them up to BASIC
level of operation. Already your "free" Linux costs way more than the
Windows box.

Times this by several thousand users and you have just bankrupted the
company.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 13:42:34 GMT

"Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> JM wrote:
>

> > >of the time.
> > >

> > >True; RAM is dirt-cheap today (I personally recommend 128 MB as a "floor")
> >
> > Cheap? What planet are you living on? It's extremely expensive!
> >

> The cards I've seen at Office Depot are a little over a dollar a megabyte.

Watch out Colin, I feel for this trap a couple weeks ago.

Here's where we start with the "it's not cheap in Europe! You arrogant stupid
Americans assume the world revolves around you! It's all your fault our
economies suck and we can't get basic goods for reasonable prices!"

<sigh>

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 13:44:53 GMT

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:enrX5.17301$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Cheap? What planet are you living on? It's extremely expensive!
> > >

> > The cards I've seen at Office Depot are a little over a dollar a megabyte.
>
> Watch out Colin, I feel for this trap a couple weeks ago.

s/feel/fell/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 14:09:48 GMT

        I too am a linux-newbie and I had no problems whatsoever installing
Mandrake 7.2 on my system.  The installation was incredibly easy.  I
really enjoy using it, my only problem is its lack of support for
certain things such as:
my soundcard, cd-burner, and my dvd rom.
But these are just minor flaws that will eventully work themselves out.
Linux is a far superior operating system to Windows, and best of all I
haven't experienced any lock ups unlike windows where it is at least
once a day.
So instead of posting LINUX IS AWFUL maybe you should post COULD SOMEONE
PLEASE HELP ME there are really great people here with  a lot of linux
experience who will help you with any of your problems.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Skully1900) wrote:
> Comparing Linux to Windows 2000 is like comparing the Space Shuttle to
a bottle
> rocket and Linux isn't the Space Shuttle. I just installed Mandrake
7.2 and I,
> and the 3 other people using it are not impressed at all. This is our
first
> venture into the world of Linux, and will be our last at least until
Linux can
> match Windows 2000 in some very basic area's. First off we used
Mandrake 7.2
> complete from Mcmillan and you should be warned about the false
advertising on
> the box. First of all this is NOT a complete version of Linux if only
for no
> server version install offered. Also the tech support is for TWO
INCIDENTS via
> Email and for installation only. They don't tell you about the two
incident
> part on the box. We sent several questions, none of which were
answered. The
> install program is broken badly. If you type the command for expert
setup at
> the boot prompt which is supposed to turn off hardware checking etc,
it doesn't
> work. It still goes off on autopilot and tries to detect hardware
anyway. This
> was a major problem on a laptop we were trying to install on because
it kept
> detecting the wrong video chip and all we got on bootup was a white
screen with
> no way of killing it except power off. No killing the X-server and no
way into
> an alternet console. There was also no way around this because even on
boot up
> selecting i for interactive was interactive only up to starting X and
it did
> that no matter what we selected.
>
> On the other 2 systems things installed better but KDE 2.0 is very
unstable. It
> too locks up frequently, especially when exiting it but we can kill it
and it
> doesn't take things down. So now it was time to play with the systems.
We were
> able to set up the network ok and get Internet Connection Sharing up and
> running even easier than with Windows 2000 but why no dial on demand
that will
> work with kppp and the Gnome dialer? I know it can be done with
scripts but a
> newbie is going to use kppp which is set up as part of the install.
Security
> seemed preety good taking a trip over to Gibsons site. Most things
seemed to
> work, but there is a major problem and that is what is going to send
people
> back to Windows.
>
> Linux gui just looks terrible. No matter what screen fonts, resolution or
> refresh rate is picked it is simply hard on the eyes. Many of the
Gnome themes
> are dark and hard to see. Netscape is the worst in this reagard being
painful
> to look at even with imported Windows TT fonts using DrakConf. By contrast
> Microsoft Windows is smooth and crisp looking. Mind you were using an
Nvidia
> and a Matrox card, both of which look stunning on Windows. People are
going to
> take one look at this mess and they will return it because it looks so
boxy and
> awful.
>
> We have played with fonts, colors and themes and quite frankly have
had it.

> Between the crashing of the GUI, crappy look and yes the lack of quality
> (although there is no lack of quantity) applications, Linux is a non issue
> around here. It's off our systems and we have fired off a letter to
Mcmillin

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Goodwin Acknowledges he's an idiot.
Date: 06 Dec 2000 14:22:01 GMT

On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 03:52:56 GMT, kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Terry, we must be very sensitive to Claire Lynn as she suffers from
>Dissociative Identity Disorder.
Hahahah, thats only one of the disorders this Wintroll suffers from!

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: Simon Kristensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 06 Dec 2000 15:26:19 +0100

"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> the_blur wrote:
> >
> > > and micro$oft Winbugs is a big shit
> > > and Bill Gays is a son of the bitch !!!
> >
> > Bill Gates Gave 21 Million dollars (I think, this could be more I'm not
> > sure) of his personal money to charity this year. He's a good man, what us
> > linuxfolk think of him doesn't matter much. He wants to give away 21 BILLION
> > dollars to charity during his life.
> >
> > (If you're wondering, I just saw the report on CBS about him)
>
> So, Bill is planning on living for another 1,000 years?

Hey, no problem! Just remember to shut him down and reboot every so
often. Also, he should be reinstalled and upgraded quite often. If you
dont remember this, he might turn blue and lock completely:-)

Cheers

Simon - who just couldn't resist ;-)

--
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who
make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 09:25:44 -0500

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >
> > "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > Of course, for greater realism, you can write it as a service and install
> > > it as an administrator.  You can intercept the the Ctrl-Alt-Del sequence
> > > using the Win32 API.
> >
> > You can't intercetp C-A-D in a user mode program.  And again, installing it
> > as a service requires administrator privs.
>
> Well, I believed my answer was within the bounds of your
> original assertion.  Those bounds, as I can see by reading
> the thread, are contracting.
>
> In any case, you originally were talking about a password-capture
> program.  The default ctrl-alt-del calls up a task window with
> 6 choices.  Anyone with admin priviledges (which, by the way,
> can be obtained using a null session), can install trojan versions of
> the system executables that are used, I would ass|u|me.  Ever hear
> of root kits?

You don't even need to do that.
just run the program from your own account, and as soon as you
capture the password, display a "bad password" message, and
when the user responds log yourself out.

To keep the user from ctrl-alt-del'ing, do something that does
a keep-alive on the display so that it doesn't go to screen-saver
or screen-blank.

> Chris
>
> --
>
> C:\> REFORMAT YOUR MIND

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 sucks compared to linux
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 09:31:14 -0500

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Vann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9feX5.4904$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <mt6X5.2408$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chad Myers"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > "Vann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:eXVW5.4689$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > You weren't helping me. It appeared that someone was cracking on Linux's
> > > poor display system and you, perhaps naievly, begain detailing the
> > > laborious process of attempting to get Linux to be a modern
> > > display-oriented OS.
> > >
> > > If you were sincerely trying to help him, then I apologize. However, if
> > > you were really trying to help him get a better display, you would've
> > > told him to get a Mac or a Windows PC because Linux is years from having
> > > a serious system for professional display and color correction.
> > >
> > > -Chad
> > Please don't put thought into my head.  I am not one to question why he
> > was using linux.  Maybe he likes being able to hack around with the
> > kernel.  But, it is neither my position, nor yours, to claim he is making
> > a mistake.  The choice of what OS to use is an intimate one - one you will
> > have to deal with every second the computer is used.  If I demanded you
> > always buy a chevrolet instead of a ford because a chevrolet is
> > "technically superior", you'd probably chose to ignore me.
> > Personal computers are called such for a reason, you know.
>
> You can BS and wax philosophical all you want, but what it really comes down
> to is, if you want to have a decent, professional display and control over it,
> Linux would be the last choice.

You mean compared to the high-school spaghetti code produced
in Redmond????????

Bwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha.

> If you wanted to help him, you would've told him the truth.
>
> -Chad

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 09:33:58 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>         I too am a linux-newbie and I had no problems whatsoever installing
> Mandrake 7.2 on my system.  The installation was incredibly easy.  I
> really enjoy using it, my only problem is its lack of support for
> certain things such as:
> my soundcard, cd-burner, and my dvd rom.
> But these are just minor flaws that will eventully work themselves out.
> Linux is a far superior operating system to Windows, and best of all I
> haven't experienced any lock ups unlike windows where it is at least
> once a day.
> So instead of posting LINUX IS AWFUL maybe you should post COULD SOMEONE
> PLEASE HELP ME there are really great people here with  a lot of linux
> experience who will help you with any of your problems.

No prob.  What do you need to know?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 09:36:15 -0500

Simon Kristensen wrote:

> > > Bill Gates Gave 21 Million dollars (I think, this could be more I'm not
> > > sure) of his personal money to charity this year. He's a good man, what us
> > > linuxfolk think of him doesn't matter much. He wants to give away 21 BILLION
> > > dollars to charity during his life.
> > >
> > > (If you're wondering, I just saw the report on CBS about him)
> >
> > So, Bill is planning on living for another 1,000 years?
>
> Hey, no problem! Just remember to shut him down and reboot every so
> often. Also, he should be reinstalled and upgraded quite often. If you
> dont remember this, he might turn blue and lock completely:-)

According to his wife, Bill turns blue and crashes every time she
tries to get him to start continous I/O procedures.

[And you wondered why he named the company Micro-Soft ]

> Cheers
>
> Simon - who just couldn't resist ;-)
>
> --
> The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who
> make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the
> mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the
> spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.  -- St. Augustin

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 14:41:28 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:90jrrq$1ft1r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:2i9X5.674$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:90itsd$1badi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > As usual, you are very wrong.
> > > Not only it's an option, but windows will detect the safe refresh
rates
> > for
> > > your resultion and recommend to you that you would only use those.
> >
> > And this depends on the video and monitor driver combination....
Sometimes
> > you are only given two options, optimal and adaptor default. This can be
> > pain in the ass if you, in my case, like to back the refresh down a few
> > notches to eek out better 3D hardware rendering performance in a game.
> > (Backing your refresh down from, say 120Hz to 60 Hz can give a noticable
> > improvement by easing the display adaptor's workload).
>
> Control Panel > Display > Settings > Advance > Monitor > Refresh Frequency
>
> Uncheck "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" in order to get
access
> to all the refresh rates supported by your monitor.
> As you mentioned, it's important not to use general drivers here, because
> they go to the defaults, which is safest, which is also the worst display
> possible. (as this is support by every monitor/display adapter)

Wrong Windows version. I'm refering to Win98. No such option there.Only
Control Panel > Display > Settings >Advanced > Adaptor > Refresh Rates with
the results described previously. I'm only going to upgrade to yet another
version of Windows if it's a commercial neccesity.

--
Tom Wilson
Registered Linux User #194021