From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 15:18:40 -0500

Tom Wilson wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 14:52:57 GMT, Tom Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> black
> > >beyond
> > >parrot
> > >happen
> > >geeks
> > >And

> are

> > >compared
> people
> seats.

> HUNDRED

> users.
> as

> course

> > >Perhaps so... I just call 'em as I see 'em. Time will tell of course and
> >
> > You don't see shit.
>
> I've seen a lot, kid... And I don't see Linux taking Windoze's place on the
> home desktop anytime soon. Inferior as it is, it isn't going to go away.

VMWARE will be the undoing of Windows.

Linux runs continously...LoseDOS crashes at its regular rate.

Eventually, people will stop doing stuff in the LoseDOS windows
and just do them in a native Linux window.

> --
> Tom Wilson
> Registered Linux User #194021
> http://counter.li.org

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 15:19:52 -0500

Tom Wilson wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 14:52:57 GMT, Tom Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> black
> > >beyond
> > >parrot
> > >happen
> > >geeks
> > >And

> are

> > >compared
> people
> seats.

> HUNDRED

> users.
> as

> course

> > >Perhaps so... I just call 'em as I see 'em. Time will tell of course and
> >
> > You don't see shit.
>
> I've seen a lot, kid... And I don't see Linux taking Windoze's place on the
> home desktop anytime soon. Inferior as it is, it isn't going to go away.

The ONLY reason Microsoft took over the home-user desktop is because
people wanted to buy a machine that ran whatever they were running
at work.

As soon as the corporate desktop changes to Linux...the home
desktop will follow within 4 years.

> --
> Tom Wilson
> Registered Linux User #194021
> http://counter.li.org

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 14:24:55 -0600

"Anonymous" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Said Erik Funkenbusch in alt.destroy.microsoft on Fri, 8 Dec 2000
> 01:15:43 -0600;
> >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>
> >> So I take it you are purposely ignoring the issue?  Yes, you can
disable
> >> TCP/IP without rebooting, and then enable it again without rebooting.
> >> Unfortunately, you cannot disable it and then reboot, and then enable
it
> >> without rebooting.  Get it?
> >
> >You're still wrong.
>
> No, I'm not.  Nor am I mistaken in any way.  I am using the term
> "disable TCP/IP" to mean disabling the protocol entirely, which requires
> removing the protocol driver, not merely disabling all TCP/IP bindings
> on the adapters.  And you are not mistaken when you say that the
> equivalent would require a reboot in Linux, as it requires recompiling
> the kernel.

Nobody else is using the term that way.  In fact, according to everyone else
but you, you can disable TCP/IP in Linux simply by removing the IP from all
cards (including loopback).

What you describe is removing TCP/IP, not disabling it.  Disabling something
is keeping it installed while not allowing it to function.

> So stop squirming, and just admit that you want to narrow the issue down
> until you are right, and I'm just pointing out how much you are
> belaboring the matter so that you can pretend that Windows isn't a piece
> of crap.

No, you keep changing the subject.  Disabling has already been defined by
others in this thread, who I was responding to.  You coming in and changing
the definition doesn't accomplish anything.

------------------------------

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks.
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 20:17:45 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:24:08 GMT, "Les Mikesell"
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >It is Linux that doesn't work.
>
> No. The people that you bought them from just chose not to
> make it easy for you to use their product with the OS of your
> choice.

No, it's LINUX, not the manufacturers.  Linux doesn't support hardware that
even the ISO/IEEE has landed on INTERNATIONAL standards for!  Now that
Firewire has been "setteled upon", Linux has YET to show any functional
integration of this technology (and don't you DARE say "well there IS alpha
support in the next kernel" because THAT'S not real support)

> >I could care less about politics, I want my devices that I paid money
> >for to work and the fact is they work under at least 2 non related
> >operating systems yet Linux pukes on them.
>
> That doesn't mean anything. Apple can be just as much out in the
> cold, as can be NT, if the vendor doesn't happen to think either
> of those markets are large enough to support.

Windows NT has been succeeded by Windows 2000, and administrators dumb
enough to stick with the prior platform deserve no hardware support.  Apple
is changing their computing standards to a UNIX based OS and throwing away
the hideous 20 year old computing mentality that's keeping Linux in a dark
corner as a geeks plaything, just like it was 8 years ago.  Only this time
around, the geeks have dot-com venture capital.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 15:23:35 -0500

Tom Wilson wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 15:34:08 GMT, Tom Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > >black
> masters
> than
> never
> distracted
> it
> heap.

> this
> > >are

> > >people
> > >seats.

> > >HUNDRED

> > >users.
> well
> > >as

> > >course

> and

> > >I've seen a lot, kid... And I don't see Linux taking Windoze's place on
> the
> >
> > You still don't see shit. All you are doing is spewing a lot of
> > hot air. Weak attempts at pretense won't really change that.
>
> What I'm spewing are the very things people have against it. You're not only
> going up against MS, you're going up against a lot of misconceptions and
> propoganda.
>

> > >home desktop anytime soon. Inferior as it is, it isn't going to go away.
> >
> > It doesn't have to. Linux can still significantly eat into it's
> > marketshare, and alternative applications can make headway against
> > the those applications that are currently entrenched.
>
> Possible, yes. The GPL still scares the hell out of a lot of developers. Up

Only to idiots.

There's LOTS of commercial NON-GPL software for Linux.

> until now, proprietary has been the name of the game. Hell, I can remember
> when most software products were leased rather than purchased. A company I
> worked for paid $10,000 a year for a VMS cost accounting and estimating
> package. (The PC revolution changed that, thank god.) Still, a lot of
> attitudes are going to have to change. Total control is a hard thing to give
> up.
>
> Another thing to consider is the strong-arm tactics MS uses with vendors.
> The "Designed for Windows" logo carries a hell of a lot of weight. You think
> MS is going to sit idilly by while vendors pump out "Linux Approved"
> products? Right now, some ARE jumping on the bandwagon and I hope more do.
> But, when Microsoft senses an exodus, they're going to get rough with them.
> Especially if they manage not to get broken up after their appeal.

It will when the corporate desktop changes.

The ONLY reason people originally went with the IBM PC was to run
the programs they were using at work.

The management users who get converted to Linux will be DEMANDING
that their home PC be "Linux Approved".

> Linux has nothing but uphill to go.

Actually, the steep part is already been climbed.
The (resistance) slope is starting to become a little less steep,
and yet, the deployment velocity is accelerating...

> > Your claims are faulty regardless of what conclusions you choose to
> > draw from them. One does not need to "run everything". Once the
> > public at large realizes this, MS marketshare is in deep trouble.
>
> That's the point! The public has been duped to believe that very thing. One
> major thing Linux lacks is that kind of effective marketing and PR. It's
> going up against a company that turned an inferior CP/M ripoff into a
> commercial juggernaut. Circumstances had a lot to do with it, of course -
> Nothing beats being in the right place at the right time. I can only imagine
> how much better things would have turned out had Digital not declined to do
> the IBM-PC OS. At any rate, through that position and brilliant marketing,
> they built a dependance that's going to be well nigh impossible to break.
>
> You seem to think I'm either a WinAdvocate or dim....I'm neither. I'm being
> realistic. Linux does have a chance - A small one. Linux's reputation has
> been established as a difficult to use, hacker OS. Unless that changes, it
> isn't going anywhere outside of servers and embedded apps.
>
> --
> Tom Wilson
> Registered Linux User #194021
> http://counter.li.org

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 20:19:31 GMT

Linux ABSOULUTELY supports USB, it just doesn't support anything plugged
into it except the latest Microsoft Mice (Gee, and I thought we were
banishing Billy here?) and a few Logitech USB devices (might as well be
Microsoft)

It's the little things, like the DEVICES we use, not the PLUG we use.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 20:19:51 GMT

BSME?

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just in case anybody is wondering about reliability
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 14:27:29 -0600

"Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:x35Y5.2420$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "SwifT -" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, mlw wrote:
> >
> > > I don't know about anyone else, I heard that about the initial release
> > > of Win2K, and we have heard the same about every release and SP of
> > > NT/2K. This game of "The next service pack will be solid" got really
old
> > > back in NT 4.0 SP1. Does anyone seriously believe that MS has any
> > > credibility when it comes to reliability?
> >
> > Since SP4, NT4 is stable enough. I bet it will be the same for 2K. It's
> > just that 2K isn't ready yet for the big test (unless you pump several
> > million $'s in it - like Microsoft does).
>
> Time will tell, but if history is any indication, 2K will be service
packed
> to death the same as its' predecessor. After seeing it for so many years,
> I'll have a hard time buying any statements to the contrary.

Hmm.. I guess because the Linux kernel 2.2 has 17 service packs (not to
mention the thousands of patches to programs and utilities) that Linux fits
this as well.

------------------------------

From: "Pedro Coto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Uptimes strike back
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 20:30:03 GMT

   Well, I have been reading a lot about uptimes
lately and I want to give my little point of view.

   As a home user, I turn on and off my machine
everyday, so a uptime of 1 day should be enough
(as Gates would say) for me. This gives me (in my
own experience) the options of Solaris for Intel
(too slow for me), GNU/Linux or NT/2000 (this
one may have less that 1 day of uptime in some
cases indeed, but well, average it behaves well).
   Sometimes just to play a couple of hours even
Windows 98/Me has the uptime I need, even when
I really prefer PS :-)

   For server I would choose GNU/Linux or
Solaris, but lately, each server I am building
is a redundant balanced one, so the individual
machine uptime is loosing interest. What's more,
I think that even when an OS is able of being
up for years, the more time it passes, the less
fresh the system it, by this I mean that disk and
memory fragmentation, as well as possible bugs
become greater as the time passes (no OS if
free of this, no matter how good it is able to
handle it), so when possible, I recommend
not only to home users but to server too
rebooting often, no matter the OS that is
being used. That's all folks :-)