  Re: Windows 2000 sucks compared to linux ("The PhantomAss")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 17:08:43 -0500

Russ Lyttle wrote:

> Steve Mading wrote:
> >
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > : Not exactly uncommon.  When my VCR is "off", it's still on by
> > : enough to keep a clock running and monitor its programming to
> > : determine whether to turn "on" (or should I say "more on") and
> > : record a program.  Doesn't make the power switch any less
> > : intuitive.
> >
> > Actually, I would say that that sort of power switch is highly
> > unintuitive.  Intuitively, you'd expect that turning something
> > off would, you know, actually turn it off.
> California is having power problems right now because of this problem.
> It applies not only to VCRs but to TV sets, computers, and many other
> new pieces of electronic equipment. The HDTV I worked on pulled over 10
> amps when the power switch was in the "off" position.

10 AMPS!

At 120 volts RMS, Thats 1200 WATTS!

> --
> Russ Lyttle, PE
> <http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>
> Not Powered by ActiveX

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Pedro Coto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Uptimes strike back
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 22:10:50 GMT

> Translation:  I'm just a dumb Windows user that believes whatever Gates
> tells me is good for me.

   Translation: I am a dumb Linux user that believes that any strange or
different opinion is bad and turns the one that makes it into a stupid.

> You've lost your credibility for the Following reasons:

   You too ... but it would be difficult to explain ... and anyway you
would not read my explanation at all.

> 1.  OSes are not like pickles  or potato chips that lose their freshness.

   Great, thanks for unveiling me the truth.

> 2.  You apparently don't know understand why only Windows degrade with
time.

   I know perfectly since I am using it since 2.03 version, programming it
since 3.11
and administrating it at job since NT 3.51.

> 3.  You obviously know nothing about any OS outside of Windows,

   I work as a GNU/Linux and Solaris administrator too, and besides I have
several other titles which are not mindful now. Even more, you have not got
data at all to say that, so I guess it is not as obvious. May be time will
help
you being a more cautious person.

> otherwise, you'd know that fragmentation is not an issue with the free
> Unices.

   Fragmentation DOES exist always, even when very very small, wrong
programming leaves memory or zombie tasks as an example. There is no
perfect OS, and a system is always more responsive just booted that
a year after. Mind me nothing if you don't want to accept it, and mind
me nothing if fragmentation occurs 1 day before booting or 10 years.
My post was nothing but a simple opinion trying to say that uptimes are
not as important thing to be in newsgroups as much.

> 4.  You're a WinTroll.

   I guess I am not. What's more I do colaborate with free software
world, I get money from free software world (as well as from "closed"
one too), and I like it, as well as being a GNU/Linux convinced user.
Have a good day guy.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 12 bugs of the season!
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 17:11:28 -0500

Swangoremovemee wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 17:49:39 GMT, sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>

> >> The 12 Bugs Of Christmas
> >>
> >> A Software Developers' Version
> >>
> >> 1. For the first bug of Christmas, my manager said to me:
> >> See if they can do it again.
>
> They're sick and getting sicker :(
>
> It's a dam cult this LIE-SUX thing....Where do I get my tamborine?

I'm sure you can pull it out of your ass

> Swango
> "It Don't Mean a Thang if it Ain't Got That Swang"

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks.
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 17:18:57 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 14:41:48 GMT, Swangoremovemee
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:24:08 GMT, "Les Mikesell"
> > ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > >It is Linux that doesn't work.
> >
> > No. The people that you bought them from just chose not to
> > make it easy for you to use their product with the OS of your
> > choice.
>
> No, it's LINUX, not the manufacturers.  Linux doesn't support hardware that
> even the ISO/IEEE has landed on INTERNATIONAL standards for!  Now that
> Firewire has been "setteled upon", Linux has YET to show any functional
> integration of this technology (and don't you DARE say "well there IS alpha
> support in the next kernel" because THAT'S not real support)

1. Neither does Microsoft... the only Firewire (IEEE 1394) support is
        from the Firewire card vendors themselves

2. Name one Firewire device.  [Actually, it's too bad you that we can't
        find Firewire devices...the protocol beats the hell out
        of the Microshaft promoted USB].

> > >I could care less about politics, I want my devices that I paid money
> > >for to work and the fact is they work under at least 2 non related
> > >operating systems yet Linux pukes on them.
> >
> > That doesn't mean anything. Apple can be just as much out in the
> > cold, as can be NT, if the vendor doesn't happen to think either
> > of those markets are large enough to support.
> >

> Windows NT has been succeeded by Windows 2000, and administrators dumb
> enough to stick with the prior platform deserve no hardware support.

As opposed to the administrators dumb enough to dump good money
after bad into yet another LoseDOS rathole....

>  Apple
> is changing their computing standards to a UNIX based OS and throwing away
> the hideous 20 year old computing mentality that's keeping Linux in a dark

Strange...I remember seing Unix GUI's back in the MS-DOS 3.x days...

> corner as a geeks plaything, just like it was 8 years ago.  Only this time
> around, the geeks have dot-com venture capital.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 17:19:52 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> BSME?

Bachelor's of Science in Mechanical Engineering, you snot-nosed baby.

> "Swangoremovemee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 06:39:49 GMT, "Kyle Jacobs"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > >Because your trying to pass off this pathetic collection of free time
> > >projects, half-finished school final's, and a lot of broken promises as a
> > >computing platform, THAT'S why.
> >
> > I did that back in 1979.
> >
> > BSME that is.
> >
> > Swango
> > "It Don't Mean a Thang if it Ain't Got That Swang"

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Pedro Coto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 22:21:46 GMT

   By the way, I have read too the Halloween
documents and the great Roberto di Cosmo
article too for the case you mind it ;-)

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Just in case anybody is wondering about reliability
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 17:23:35 -0500

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > SwifT - wrote:

> operating systems.  The URL is
> > > >
> http://uptime.netcraft.com/hosted?netname=DN-CIDR2,209.207.128.0,209.207.255
> .255

> ONE OF THEM is running Apache on
> > >
> > > It has been posted more than enough that Win2K is too "new" on the
> marked.
> > > System admins must get the feeling about it, before they can thrive it
> up
> > > to good performances. Also, most sysadmins wait till servicepack 4 comes
> > > out, since (in the line of NT) this sp will make 2K as solid as
> necessary.
> > >

> > So, in other words, Lose2K *MIGHT* be ready for primetime 3rd quarter,
> 2002.
>
> Around about the time SP20, is released no doubt. <g>

Well...in that case, Lose2K *MIGHT* be ready for primetime
sometime around 2010.

> --
> Tom Wilson
> Registered Linux User #194021
> http://counter.li.org

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 22:20:46 -0000

>Not to quibble, but if you know the problem is multipage tables, why
>bother sending anything anywhere?  Let the friggen' developers do their
>own troubleshooting.  You already paid for the software.

The software being discussed is openoffice - an opensource office suite so
helping the developers by giving them problem documents is the only payment
I can give the developers - the software itself is free. This helps things
improve
in future versions and reduces my need for the monopolyware I currently have
use (now if only openoffice can add msaccess compatibility - excel and
powerpoint
compatibility is almost perfect and wordprocessor is getting there so access
will
soon be the only thing left - once unix printing has also been added).
Improving
openoffice is not helping monopolise - code from this will be used in gnome
office
and can also be used to help koffice developers if needed due to the power
of
opensource.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What if Linux wasn't free?
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 17:30:21 -0500

Swangoremovemee wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 05:56:06 GMT, kiwiunixman
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> ><snip>
> >
> >The big question is whether it (swang) pays for his software, or does it
> >steal it?  I pay for all my software, and as a result, I reap the
>
> Bought every version of Windows except the comp ones I got for being
> in the various beta test programs I have participated in. Even have a
> vintage copy of Windows 2.0 here.

Translation: he's 100% brainwashed.

> What does that have to do with anything?
>
> And who cares if "you" buy all of your software, except Microsoft I
> suppose.

Translation: Swango is a software pirate.

> Swango
> "It Don't Mean a Thang if it Ain't Got That Swang"

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 17:34:53 -0500

Pedro Coto wrote:

>    Well, I have been reading a lot about uptimes
> lately and I want to give my little point of view.
>
>    As a home user, I turn on and off my machine
> everyday, so a uptime of 1 day should be enough
> (as Gates would say) for me. This gives me (in my
> own experience) the options of Solaris for Intel
> (too slow for me), GNU/Linux or NT/2000 (this
> one may have less that 1 day of uptime in some
> cases indeed, but well, average it behaves well).
>    Sometimes just to play a couple of hours even
> Windows 98/Me has the uptime I need, even when
> I really prefer PS :-)
>
>    For server I would choose GNU/Linux or
> Solaris, but lately, each server I am building
> is a redundant balanced one, so the individual
> machine uptime is loosing interest. What's more,
> I think that even when an OS is able of being
> up for years, the more time it passes, the less
> fresh the system it, by this I mean that disk and
> memory fragmentation, as well as possible bugs

Most non-Microshaft systems, including ALL unixes,
perform frequent garbage collection.

MEMORY fragmentation is a non-issue.  Physical memory
location is a moot point when using paged virtual memory.

Disk fragmentation...hasn't been an issue in the unix
world for YEARS.... Diskspace is managed by the kernal
to prevent fragmentation from occuring in the first place.

> become greater as the time passes (no OS if
> free of this, no matter how good it is able to
> handle it), so when possible, I recommend
> not only to home users but to server too
> rebooting often, no matter the OS that is
> being used. That's all folks :-)

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 17:35:00 -0500

Pedro Coto wrote:

>    Well, I have been reading a lot about uptimes
> lately and I want to give my little point of view.
>
>    As a home user, I turn on and off my machine
> everyday, so a uptime of 1 day should be enough
> (as Gates would say) for me. This gives me (in my
> own experience) the options of Solaris for Intel
> (too slow for me), GNU/Linux or NT/2000 (this
> one may have less that 1 day of uptime in some
> cases indeed, but well, average it behaves well).
>    Sometimes just to play a couple of hours even
> Windows 98/Me has the uptime I need, even when
> I really prefer PS :-)
>
>    For server I would choose GNU/Linux or
> Solaris, but lately, each server I am building
> is a redundant balanced one, so the individual
> machine uptime is loosing interest. What's more,
> I think that even when an OS is able of being
> up for years, the more time it passes, the less
> fresh the system it, by this I mean that disk and
> memory fragmentation, as well as possible bugs

Most non-Microshaft systems, including ALL unixes,
perform frequent garbage collection.

MEMORY fragmentation is a non-issue.  Physical memory
location is a moot point when using paged virtual memory.

Disk fragmentation...hasn't been an issue in the unix
world for YEARS.... Diskspace is managed by the kernal
to prevent fragmentation from occuring in the first place.

> become greater as the time passes (no OS if
> free of this, no matter how good it is able to
> handle it), so when possible, I recommend
> not only to home users but to server too
> rebooting often, no matter the OS that is
> being used. That's all folks :-)

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "The PhantomAss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 sucks compared to linux
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 17:44:12 -0500

Yep, and it also includes that nifty little program called BSOD, which
reboots your computer whenever it feels like it. Windows is way too unstable
for any sort of serious graphics design, unless you don't mind saving your
work every 5 minutes. Linux is unsuitable for professional graphics work
either, because it doesn't have all the bells and whistles you mentioned.
That leaves you with either a Mac or an SGI.

Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:Ys5Y5.2729$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Walton Simons" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:90pjtj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > If you want to have a decent, professional display and control over it,
you
> > would get an SGI or a Mac. Windows provides no control over your display
> > whatsover, except for those pretty truetype fonts, which can be easily
> > installed under X in linux.
>
> Um, what about icc and other color correction technologies? Windows also
> has support, with decent display adapters, for advanced color technologies
> and display/output techniques. Support for sRGB, etc.
>
> Does Linux support icc profiles? No, didn't think so.
>
> -Chad
>

> > Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:LdrX5.17272$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > "Vann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:9feX5.4904$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
Myers"

> > Myers"

> > Linux's