From: Jerry Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 23:47:57 GMT

In comp.os.linux.x Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Jerry Peters" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:ZfAX5.43$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.x Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > "Jerry Peters" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:ZRdX5.4296$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Office
>> > (or

>> > win95/98

> repartition
>> > figured
> my
>> > it.

>> > that
>> > installation.
> you

> thing.
> questions
> from

> want

>> > It asks you, it doesn't merge anything to the registry by default
> without
>> > asking you.
>> > Here is what the path of the default actions ("Merge", in the registry
>> > [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\regfile\Shell\Open\Command\]) is: regedit.exe "%1"
>> > In order for the registry to accept these without giving warning, you
> need
>> > to do this: regedit.exe /y "%1"
>> > So, no, the default is to *ask* you first.
>> > This behaviour is consistent with every windows that I've worked with
>> > starting with 95 and upward.
>>
>> NO IT DOESN'T I have done it. Don't tell me what I know happened
>> didn't.

> I explained to you how this is done by default, I also explained that you
> need to change the default settings in order to make the program accept the
> reg file without prompting you.

You can "explain" all you want. I did _not_ change the registry.

> You changed the defaults, your problem.

Read the above. Don't tell me what I "did" just because it doesn't fit
with your preconceived notions.

> The default is that the regedit will ask you whatever you are sure you want
> to do this.

But it didn't! How many times do I have to repeat myself. Have you
been using GUI's too long?

        Jerry

------------------------------

From: Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus! (OT) (humor)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 23:44:44 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> David Ogg writes:
>
> > Wow, you three should get a room!
>
> Counting problems?

See what I mean about his illogic?

------------------------------

From: tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Blurry Fonts: Is there a solution?
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 23:40:24 GMT

And now for another dumb question:  What's anti-aliasing?

I haven't gotten far in the Font Deuglification how-to, but I applied
its initial suggestions about changing some lines in one of the config
files and things look better already just from doing that, so there
might be hope after all.

Tom

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: 11 Dec 2000 23:46:11 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Aaron R. Kulkis writes:

:> Joe Malloy wrote:
:
:>> Tholen tholes:

:>>>> Silly me, I thought I was talking about text editors, not signs.

:>>> Something wrong with a simple analogy to help illustrate a point?

:>> Wattsamatta, Tholen, you don't like being called on the carpet for
:>> an inappropriate "analogy"?

:> No...what he objects to is the fact that ... Steve was right.

: Right about what, allegedly?  There were several issues discussed,
: mostly diversions from the original issue, namely your ridiculous
: claim that nothing about computers is intuitive.

Your stance, (which I am getting by simply inverting Aaron's
claim - correct me if I'm wrong here), is that "At least some
things about a computer are intuitive".  (This is the negation
of "nothing about a computer is intuitive.)  The problem with
this statement is that natural languages like English often
lead to anbiguous statements, especially when the qualifiers
"some" or "all" are left off - because both are often equally valid
ways to interpet the statement, depending on the situation.
There are two ways, both equally valid, of interpeting the
statement "Some things about a computer are intuitive":

A) Some things about a computer are intiutive to all people.
B) Some things about a computer are intiutive to some people.

If your statement is (B), I agree with you.  But I think Aaron
is assuming you are meaning (A), since that is often what it means
when someone leaves a qualifier off on a statement like that.

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 11 Dec 2000 23:48:23 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: The Ghost In The Machine writes:

:> So, to sum up:
:>
:> [1] Nothing is intuitive.

: You need to consult a manual for everything???

Do you consider a small folding card (of the type sometimes
found in O'Rielly books, or of the type published by SCC) to
be a "manual"?  That's all I used to learn VI.  It was about
10 inches by 11 inches, and I only used one side of it.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 22:09:03 GMT

Steve Mading writes:

>>> Hitting escape merely requires a small wrist and hand strectch,
>>> not a whole arm-swing.

>> Hitting the cursor keys merely requires a small wrist and hand stretch,
>> not a whole arm-swing.

> No, not on the standard 101 (or 104) key keyboard layout.

You're now qualifying your statement.  Note that "standard" 101-key
keyboards still have variations among them.

> Maybe you have a different type of keyboard.

I have several keyboards.

> The human wrist doesn't bend 90 degrees,

Irrelevant, given that I never said it does.

> and even if it did, that would put the fingers aimed sideways
> and not at all lined up with the cursor keys.  Maybe, just maybe
> you can get one pinkie there that way, but that is insufficient
> to operate the keys painlessly.

Maybe, just maybe you can get one pinkie up to the Esc key, but
that is insufficient to operate the key painlessly.

> The escape key is all by itself, one key, easy to 'whack' without
> needing much accuracy (if you get all 'butterfingers' and slap the
> key on the edge, that's good enough).

With other editors, I don't need to do that.

> The cursor keys require accuracy,

Incorrect; it's easy to undo an incorrect motion operation, and
I have fewer of those than with hjkl.

> and they require the hand to remain there for a while while
> you hit them several times,

Incorrect; my keyboard has autorepeat.  I just hold the key down.

> so hitting them with a twisted wrist, using your stretched
> pinkie, doesn't work.

Works just as well as for the Esc key.

------------------------------

From: Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 23:49:13 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>as

> >> It's where the irony is, Marty.
>
> > Classic incorrect pontification.
>
> Incorrect, given that I reproduced the ironic statement, Marty.

Where, allegedly?

> >> Don't you remember what you asked me?
>
> > Certainly, which is why I recognized the inappropriateness of the
> > quotation.
>
> Non sequitur, given that you asked me for the relevance of the quotation,
> Marty.

One can ask a question when one knows the answer to it already.  Haven't you
ever been the recipient of a math test in grade school?

> >> It's where the irony is, Marty.
>
> > Classic incorrect pontification.
>
> Incorrect, given that I reproduced the ironic statement, Marty.

Where, allegedly?

> >> Don't you remember what you asked me?
>
> > Certainly, which is why I recognized the inappropriateness of the quotation.
>
> Non sequitur, given that you asked me for the relevance of the quotation,
> Marty.

One can ask a question when one knows the answer to it already.  Haven't you
ever been the recipient of a math test in grade school?

> >> MA] Classic pontification.
>
> > Of what relevance is this quotation?
>
> It's where the irony is, Marty.

On what basis do you make this claim?

>period.

> >> Classic pontification.
>
> > How ironic.
>
> Where is the alleged irony, Marty?

DT] Classic pontification.

> >> MA] Classic pontification.
>
> > Of what relevance is this quotation?
>
> It's where the irony is, Marty.

On what basis do you make this claim?

> >> MA] Yet another example of your pontification.
>
> > Of what relevance is this quotation?
>
> It's where the irony is, Marty.

On what basis do you make this claim?

> >> MA] Still another example of your pontification.
>
> > Of what relevance is this quotation?
>
> It's where the irony is, Marty.

On what basis do you make this claim?

> >> On what basis do you claim that I would be misleading the readers, Marty?
>
> > Are you suggesting that you haven't suggested that I have done such a thing?
>
> I've demonstrated that you did such a thing, Marty.

On the contrary, you've demonstrated your prowess with regard to
pontification.

> >> By erroneously presupposing that something has already occurred, Marty.
>
> > Classic illogical circular reasoning.
>
> Balderdash, Marty.

Oh really?  What is allegedly logical about your circular reasoning?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 22:16:10 GMT

Steve Mading writes:

>>> Then it doesn't look anything like any keyboard I've ever seen.

>> That's not my problem.  You were the presumptumous one.

> Yes, I admit that I presumed you were referring to a keyboard that
> is actually out on the market somewhere,

I am.

> rather than some home-made thing,

Hardly.

> or some proprietary laptop one-of-a-kind layout.

Hardly one-of-a-kind.  I have no idea whether it's considered
proprietary or not.

> I also presumed you weren't lying.

I'm not.

> Admitedly, those presumptions could have been wrong.

As well as your presumption that the Esc key is closer than the
cursor keys.

>>> The Escape key is close and easily whackable without
>>> looking, and without looking you can get your fingers
>>> right back to the home row without even feeling for the
>>> keys, my kinestetic sense just knows where to go, because
>>> I don't have to move the hand more than about 1/2 an inch,
>>> and that's a stretch-forward motion rather than a swing-
>>> sideways motion.

>> The cursor keys are close and easily whackable without looking,
>> and without looking you can get your fingers right back to the
>> home row without even feeling for the keys, my kinestetic sense
>> just knows where to go, because I don't have to move the hand
>> more than about 1/2 an inch, and that's a stretch-backward motion
>> rather than a swing-sideways motion.

> You enjoy this game of repeating what I say, replacing words with
> a fill-in-the-blank replacement.

There is no enjoyment involved.  I'm simply showing that the same
situation applies to the cursor keys.

> But there is one key difference:
> What I said is actually universally true.

Balderdash.

> You are either lying or using some really unique keyboard layout
> and not telling anyone.

You just contradicted your "universally true" claim.  Nevertheless,
the layout is hardly "unique".

>>> (Which is why it's easy to find the home row - just relax the

>>> Yeah, the 'huh' was wondering how this relates to what I'm
>>> talking about.

>> You were talking about staying by the hjkl keys.

> Do you seriously expect anyone to believe that it is just as
> hard to find home row after stretching single fingers at a time,
> up and down one row (as in "yuiopnm") as it is after moving to
> the arrow keys?

"My kinestetic sense just knows where to go."

> You're daft.

And now you're getting insulting.  No surprise there, actually.
It's not uncommon for people to resort to such language when
they have nothing else.

>> Irrelevant, given that I never stated otherwise.

>>> hjkl is the second-most minimal movement pattern you can have (right
>>> after 'jkl;').

>> Except that three letters only provide three motions.  You need four
>> for a two-dimensional screen.

> Learn to count.

You're erroneously presupposing that I don't already know how to count.

> How many characters are there in "hjkl" and "jkl;" ?

jkl is only three letters.

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: trapping ctrl-alt-del
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 00:09:08 GMT