Linux-Advocacy Digest #888, Volume #30           Thu, 14 Dec 00 21:13:06 EST

Contents:
  Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks. (glitch)
  Re: What if Linux wasn't free? (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks. (glitch)
  Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks. (glitch)
  Re: Voting (was: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks) (kiwiunixman)
  Re: Another UNIX sight is doun! (Jim Broughton)
  Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks. (glitch)
  Re: Whistler review. (Alan Baker)
  Re: Voting (was: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks) (glitch)
  Re: Tell us Why you use Windows over Linux. (Bill Boman)
  Re: Tell us Why you use Windows over Linux. (Ken Klavonic)
  Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks. (kiwiunixman)
  Re: Name one thing Microsoft INVENTED.... (Ken Klavonic)
  Re: Tell us Why you use Windows over Linux. (David M. Butler)
  Re: Voting (was: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks) (glitch)
  Corel to pull out of Linux (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks. (glitch)
  Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks. (glitch)
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! (Marty)
  Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks. (glitch)
  Re: Tell us Why you use Windows over Linux. ("Joel Barnett")

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:15:37 -0500
From: glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks.

Swangoremovemee wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 04:24:08 GMT, "Les Mikesell"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >Why are you blaming Linux for devices that don't work?
>
> The devices work fine under Windows and as far as the USB devices are
> concerned they work fine on my Apple Powerbook as well.
>
> My devices work fine.
>
> It is Linux that doesn't work.

well i got a DVD for christmas a year ago and it worked fine under Win95
and after installing win98 , about a year ago, I lost my dvd drive.  I
decided to contact Creative Labs about it last week and during the past
week we have swapped dozens of emails and the tech guy still does not
know why my dvd drive won't work under Win98. I've got it to work 2
times, and last night i actually got to watch a movie but after i
rebooted my dvd icon in My Computer went away.  I'm tired of fooling
wiht it. It worked fine in Win95 but I cant use win95 anymore b/c it
doesn't know how to handle my NIC and UMDA controller being on teh same
IRQ (infinite rebooots) so i'm stuck with win98 and a useless dvd
drive.........

UNTIL I get another hard drive for Xmas and then im installing linux so
that i actually can use my dvd drive.

How's that for how good Windows is with hardware?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: What if Linux wasn't free?
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 01:11:00 GMT

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000 01:00:05 GMT,
kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>LOL, my uncle is the best example of a person who has two degrees, yet
>he is socially impotent and lacking the logic to apply his skills to
>every day work. Degrees aren't everything.  If you don't have the skills
>to apply the knowledge, the degree is as useless as the piece of paper
>it is written on.
>
>kiwiunixman

And the same can be said of the Windows user.

Despite the bullshit, Windows is making a systems administrator
out of everyone these days.

Charlie

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:19:13 -0500
From: glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

You used my example :)
I used to think the same way he did until I watched Goldeneye again on
my laptop a few days ago and saw that section where they use the
ejection seats.

For kiwiunixman:   I don't know about all helis but on the one in that
movie as soon as the pilot pulled on the ejection cords the blades of
the chopper were detached thereby providing a clear path for the seats
to eject out of the chopper.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:19:34 -0500
From: glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

how about a screen door?

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:20:23 +1300

Last year when I voted (in New Zealand), you get two pieces of paper,
one to vote for the party vote, and one for the local MP.   In my case,
I voted for ACT as the party, and Paul Swain (Labour MP) for the local
MP. All you had to do was to tick the box corresponding to the name:

_______/__
|     /  |
|    /   |
|  \/    |           ACT
|        |
__________

How NZ is governed:

New Zealand is a democratic country in which the members of Parliament
are chosen in free and fair elections. All citizens and permanent
residents who are 18 years and over are eligible to vote in the
elections. Every New Zealand citizen who is enrolled as an elector is
eligible to be a candidate for election as a Member of Parliament.

New Zealand has a single chamber of Parliament known as the House of
Representatives. The principal functions of Parliament are to:

enact laws
supervise the Government's administration
allocate funding for government agencies and services
provide a government
redress grievances by way of petition.

Parliament is elected under an MMP system.

The Government is accountable to Parliament for its actions and
policies. So Ministers are answerable in Parliament for their own
actions and policies and for the actions and policies of the departments
and state agencies under their jurisdiction.

Most Ministers are members of Cabinet, which is the main decision-making
body of the Government.

New Zealand is a constitutional monarchy. The Queen of New Zealand,
Queen Elizabeth II, is the Head of State. The Queen's representative in
this country is the Governor-General who has all the powers of the Queen
in relation to New Zealand.

Although an integral part of the process of government, the Queen and
the Governor-General remain politically neutral and do not get involved
in the political contest.

The NZ parliament is elected as follows:

At least once every three years, New Zealand holds a General Election to
choose its Parliament. The New Zealand Parliament is elected using the
Mixed Member Proportional Representation (MMP) electoral system.

Under MMP, you have two votes:

Your Party Vote is for the party you most want to be represented in
Parliament. Your Electorate Vote is for the MP you want to represent
your electorate.

The country is divided into voting areas called electorates, each
represented by a Member of Parliament (MP). The candidate in your
electorate who gets the most votes will become your electorate MP.

You also vote for a political party that has submitted a list of candidates.

Your residential address decides which electorate you will be in. The
New Zealand Parliament includes General and Maori electorates. Qualified
electors who are a New Zealand Maori, or a descendent of a New Zealand
Maori can choose whether they want to vote for a General electorate or a
Maori electorate.

Each electorate has a roll, or list of everyone who is enrolled to vote.
By law, if you are aged 18 years or older and eligible to enrol, you
must be on the electoral roll.

You can find out which Electorate is applicable to you, or, you can
check the list of General Electorates. This list is followed by a list
of Maori Electorates.

------------------------------

From: Jim Broughton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another UNIX sight is doun!
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 01:16:32 GMT

Tim Palmer wrote:

> The site www.brainbench.com runs Apache/1.3.12 (Unix) Resin/1.1.5 on Solaris 8, and
>its always DOUN becoz its' UNIX! If it was Windos it wood be alwayz UP like microsoft
>.COM!
>
> You fuckibg UNIX nurdz SUX BWAHAHAA!! Tipitty-tipe, it douz you no
>good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 UNIX STILL SUX!

 Tim your back and you brought your spell checker with you.
Welcome back you sniveling moron.

--
Jim Broughton
(The Amiga OS! Now there was an OS)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:23:16 -0500
From: glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

kiwiunixman wrote:

> Swangoremovemee wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 17:58:00 +1300, kiwiunixman
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >> I try to be optimistic, however, the dickhead swango who can't even
> >> config, his computer puts real doubts about humanities ability to RTFM!
> >

> > They can't even read an election ballot and you are expecting them to
> > run Linux?
> >
> True, in my local paper (Evening Post), they had a picture of the ballot
> paper (that caused the problems), the fucking arrows say it all, if ya
> can't follow that, then you must real problems.  As a serious question,
> down in that county, are they just a bunch of six toed inbreeds, because
> that is the only reason I can find for such as pack of dicks making such
> a stupid mistake.
>
> kiwiunixman

you should have seen the clips of the trial where the old people were
absolutely whining saying they were confused. I didn't know whether to
cry or laugh at the site of it all.
but the democrats will turn anything into a mistake not of the people
but by the people(the person who made the new ballot)

------------------------------

From: Alan Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Whistler review.
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 01:21:17 GMT

In article <G2d_5.21689$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chad C.
Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"Alan Baker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <PRVZ5.14004$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chad C.
>> Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>> >"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> ><trimmed>

>> >Actually Apple stole it from Xerox.
>>
>> Four things:
>>
>> Apple was already working on these ideas and visiting Xerox was merely
>> the spark that turned higher management on to the concept.
>>

>Bull.

Great comeback, but since you insist.

< http://www.best.com/~mxmora/JefRaskin.html>

For starters. You want more? It's not hard to find.

>> You can't really steal something when you pay for it.
>>
>When did they pay?

<http://www.applemuseum.seastar.net/sections/gui.html>

This one's also good for the first response as well...

>> Xerox didn't get paid much because they didn't realize what they had.
>>
>> When Apple started with the idea they had no way of knowing it was a
>> success. Microsoft just plagiarized someone else's success.
>>

>Bull

How very eloquent. Care to provide something a little more cogent.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:28:08 -0500
From: glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> They discovered their error and then tried to foist their claim that
> the ballot was "confusing", when in reality, the voters were given bad
> instructions by party leaders.  Similar problems happened elsewhere in
> the state when voters were told to "vote on every page", which caused
> double-voting for president.
>
> Should those votes "be counted"?  I dunno, I can see both sides of the
> argument.  On the one hand, you must interpret votes that don't really
> exist -- and on the other, you have many disenfanchised voters.

not counting every ballot is nothing new
Millions of ballots are not counted every election b/c someone didn't
punch their stylus through all the way or whatever. Why isn't anyoen
complaining about those ones?  We have accepted that case in the other
49 states so why should FL be any diffferent?  If we don't accept it in
FL then we have to recount all those other 3 million ballots that
weren't counted throughout the country.  THe point is we have accepted
the fact that some ballots are thrown out and by defintion that means we
don't say someone was disenfranchised b/c of it. If you cant read a
ballot and follow directions that is YOUR fault, not everyone else's.
Take some responsiblity for once, geez.

there is a very good possiblity that my ballot had the same problem but
do u see me complaining? no.  But i know next time i'm gonna pay
attention now that I understand better how the process works and where
it can faulter.

------------------------------

From: Bill Boman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tell us Why you use Windows over Linux.
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 01:23:36 +0000

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> Here's another interesting - unsolvable thread.
>
> Name the THING you can do with Windows you
> CAN NOT do with Linux.
>
> Charlie

pay money to Microsoft

BB

------------------------------

From: Ken Klavonic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:29:30 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> Here's another interesting - unsolvable thread.
>
> Name the THING you can do with Windows you
> CAN NOT do with Linux.
>
> Charlie

The only thing I use Windows at home for (work is, sadly, another story)
is to play games. I like Linux and all, but there are still lots of
games that simply aren't available on LX..

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 01:27:40 GMT

SwifT - wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, kiwiunixman wrote:
>

>> You use Redhat! you must be a complete moron.  Fuck, I wouldn't touch
>> Redhat with a 40M pole.
>

> Don't relate morons and RedHat. I use RedHat too (not solely, Debian for
> my laptop and at this moment JBLinux on my teststation) and I don't think
> I qualify for moron (well, I haven't actually ran a moron-test on myself,
> but hey :-)
I am not saying that people who use Redhat are morons, however, I call
people who stick with Redhat even though they consider it shit, they are
the ones I consider morons.

>> Why didn't you buy a copy of SuSE Linux 7? or
>> are you one of those people who only buy "American Made" software (aka
>> xenaphobic software buyer)?
>

> SuSE 6.4 was about 4 hours on my harddisk. Dunno about SuSE 7.0, have to
> try it one of these days ... if I find the time
I have SuSE Linux 7.0 Pro, and use the ReiserFS (for /, ext2fs for
/boot), which is a darn sight better than the creeking ext2fs that
chucks a hissy-fit if you don't shut down properly.

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: Ken Klavonic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Name one thing Microsoft INVENTED....
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:33:01 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> Seems like people are having trouble naming ONE THING
> Microsoft invented.
>
> So I'll try it again on it's OWN THREAD.
>
> Name one thing, just one thing Microsoft actually
> invented.
>
> You don't even have to give me a LINK to prove it.
>
> Charlie

I'm sure you mean "one *good* thing" that Microsoft invented" right?
Otherwise it's just too easy.

I've not been following the other thread, but the nubmer one thing that
comes to mind is the little scroll wheel on the mouse. I don't recall
seeing anyone else doing that until after MS started shipping with them.

------------------------------

From: David M. Butler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:32:38 -0500

Black Dragon wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Dec 2000 00:50:11 GMT in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> `Charlie Ebert' said:
>

> : Here's another interesting - unsolvable thread.
> :
> : Name the THING you can do with Windows you
> : CAN NOT do with Linux.
>

> Simple: B.S.O.D.

Yeah, if Linux would hurry up and implement this I could get rid of Windows
for good... and it has to REALLY work, not those teasing screen savers that
pretend to be BSODing.

D. Butler

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:37:30 -0500
From: glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Ian Davey wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
> >They discovered their error and then tried to foist their claim that
> >the ballot was "confusing", when in reality, the voters were given bad
> >instructions by party leaders.  Similar problems happened elsewhere in
> >the state when voters were told to "vote on every page", which caused
> >double-voting for president.
>
> Well they did a psychological study in Canada a few weeks ago, where a group
> of people were given two sets of forms, one identical to the ones used in
> Florida (except for the things they were voting on) and one with the
> candidates in one long list. They then asked which selection the people wanted
> to choose and which they actually did. With the Florida-style ballot there
> were lots of mistakes, with the straightforward list ballot there were none.

I heard of a test done in the States of a teacher telling his 6th grade
students to vote for Bush/Gore (I forgetwhich exactly) using the
butterfly type ballot and 90% of the SIXTH graders picked the person the
teacher said to vote for.

I guess its true that adults really do forget what they learned in
school. But then again why it's so hard to follow an arrow and notice
that the holes alternate between pages is beyond me.

> This is surprisingly easy to understand really. Voting booths are pretty high
> pressure environments, your pretty much pushed in, vote quick in unusual
> surroundings, and then get shown the door. If people were sitting down and
> voting using those ballots in their own front rooms, I expect the result
> would be very different (i.e. fewer if any mistakes).

if you cant take the heat don't even go into the kitchen.  I wasnt
pushed in. I took my time. I actually READ the directions. WOAH that's a
new concept. And I filled in my ballot accordingly.

> This argument has become so bogged down in bipartisan arguments that the
> simple facts are easy to miss. Voting forms should be as simple as possible,
> not because people are to dense to use them properly, but because in places
> where you vote there's often a lot of distraction so simple mistakes are easy
> to make. People often don't actually fully read what they see, just mark due
> to assumptions, in this case they read the name of the candidate and just mark
> next to it. They aren't looking for arrows to follow so they don't see them,
> if a voting form needs instructions other than ("mark x next to chosen
> candidate") then it is quite clearly flawed. Some people will see the
> instructions, some won't. When it's something like a voting form, simplicity
> is best.

Well, gee, we wouldn't want people to ever think now would we? Heaven
forbid they have to actually use a little brain matter. Having to read
instructions is not much to ask at all. You have to have them or we
would even have a bigger mess on our hands. No matter how clear they are
u will still have people mess it up b/c they can't read correctly, or at
all, or they interpret them wrong and then they get upset b/c they think
it's your fault for not making the isntructions on the level of a
chimpanzee (bad example in a way as chimps can be really smart).

You have to tell people not to vote for more than one candidate or
people will do it. You just HAVE to have instructions. We have them on
tests we do in school, why is a voting booth any different especially if
you are new to voting and you need some help?  Not everyone is going to
be a veteran of the process and know exactly what to do when they go to
vote. A little design change shouldn't be an attack on someone's
intelligence and yet people still view it as someone else's fault that
they couldn't figure it out instead of taking some responsibility.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Corel to pull out of Linux
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 01:38:52 GMT

I thought I would post this first as nobody else seemed
to be interested, not even the Wintrolls.

It's of no surprise to me that as soon as Microsoft
bought up all the Corel stock, Corel cancell's it's
plans to continue on with it's Debian based
Corel Office packages for Linux.

It hasn't even been 6 months since the purchase
of Corel by Microsoft and the largely sucessful
Linux venture is being cancelled.

Anybody who believes Microsoft isn't beginning to
feel the heat from the competion from Linux
should probably examine this situation in detail.

Microsoft won't even be in the operating system
business by 2005 if Linux keeps growing at it's
current rate.

And they know this and they are starting in on
their shitty worthless business tactics again.

Pretty bold if you ask me, seeing how they
aren't even thru their conviction appeal.

It won't be the government which stops Microsoft.
It will be the GPL folks working on Linux.

They are the ONLY people now who stand between
a free open market and a Microsoft dominated
closed market with only one choice in life.

You shure can't expect the FTC to do their
jobs anymore.

It's a free-for all.

Charlie

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:44:26 -0500
From: glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:14:12 +1300, kiwiunixman wrote:
> >Swangoremovemee wrote:
>
> >True, in my local paper (Evening Post), they had a picture of the ballot
> >paper (that caused the problems), the fucking arrows say it all, if ya
> >can't follow that, then you must real problems.  As a serious question,
>
> I have a couple of objections to this:
>
> (1)     As Mading pointed out, it might not be as simple as it looks on paper.
> (2)     What if you have lousy eyesight ? Surely, the ballot isn't easy to read.
> (3)     So what if the people who got it wrong are morons ? I mean, why not
>         force all would-be voters to take an IQ test to determine if they
>         are smart enough to vote.
> (4)     It's an inevitable fact -- there are going to be voter errors. It's
>         desirable in a country that aspires to be democratic to design ballots
>         in such a way to minimise such errors. Clearly, the "butterfly" was
>         not a very successful design.

(1)if you aren't smart enough to read and even follow pictures (arrows)
then u shouldn't be voting OR you should ask for someone to read the
ballot to you. and if you are too embarrassed to ask for help then
that's tough. The help is there and if u can't take advantage of it it's
your fault.

(2)if you had lousy eyesight ANY ballot would be hard to read, geez,
give me a break. Do you have selective lousy eyesight or something? You
only see what u realize u have no way of contesting?

(4)put it in any other state and you will see any normal competent
person can figure out which person to vote for even WITHOUT the arrows
pointing to the right hole for the candidate.  How much simpler does it
have to be so that people don't complain? Would neon signs make it
better?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:47:19 -0500
From: glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

People can't read.  I found it hard to laugh when I was in high school
and a couple teachers would make the students take turns reading the
textbook and some kids would pull words out of their ass when reading
the text b/c they couldn't pronounce the word that was actually there OR
they were thinking too fast and thought it said something else.

Either way people don't pay attention.
I know a lot of times working at an ISP i'd tell someone to RIGHT click
and they would left click. One time a guy even said to me "you didn't
say RIGHT click". If I didn't want my job at the time I would have said
" you wanna bet I didn't say that"?

people don't deserve to have a brain sometimes

------------------------------

From: Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 01:40:45 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Marty writes:
>
> > Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>
> >> When you finally realize how utterly worthless your life is...
> >> remember to slit lengthwise.
> >>
> >> Or maybe you can offer yourself to one of the local Hawaiian volcano gods.
>
> > No need to anger them.
>
> Superstitious, Marty?

Take that up with Aaron.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 20:53:00 -0500
From: glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Les Mikesell wrote:

> "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:BMkZ5.20294$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Well, does Linux support these devices?
>
> If you mean 'those ways of communicating with devices', yes.
>
>   Les Mikesell
>      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The hardware vendors cause a device to be support, not the OS.
Microsoft doesn't make every device's driver; the manufacturer makes it
and MS claims it for themselves.
I laughed and was actually mad when I reinstalled Win98 a couple days
ago and I read during the instalaltion that it SUPPORTS all the newest
hardware. Well unfortunately that is false advertising as MS doesn't
support any device. The manufacturers support the OS by writing drivers
that work for a particular OS, not vice versa.

From: "Joel Barnett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 17:53:02 -0800

I have a dual boot pc at home - W95/Linux(Mandrake). The only reason I have
W95 is for PCAnywhere dialup access to my W2k pc at work. If there's a Linux
app that can do the same thing, I can free up some hdd space on my home pc
;).

jbarntt