From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Why Hatred?
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 04:37:47 GMT

In article <92tf08$hjc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) wrote:
> [...]
>Sybase, DB2, SAP, Peoplesoft, and some of the other big
>players in the UNIX market, you see a whole different level
>of service.  Ironically, most of these UNIX oriented companies
>approach Microsoft in terms of profitability, and far surpass
>Microsoft in terms of quality of service.
>
>In summary, the hustlers looking for a quick buck should cash in on
>each version of Windows as quickly as possible.  Get the money, and
>start programming on the next beta version of GatesOS so that you can
>get the certifications and Logo stamps to be the first on the block
>to sell software for the next version.
>
>If you are out to hustle the customer, you should avoid Linux at all
>costs.  You should avoid UNIX at all costs.  You should make your
>product exclusively for Windows, sing the praises of Microsoft, and
>hope that Bill decides to "Buy You Out" if you actually start making
>a profit.  Who knows, he might even pay enough to cover your legal fees.
>
>If you aren't in one of those catagories listed above, you should
>probably start learning Linux now.  Even if you stay with Windows,
>you'll be better equipped to support the integration of UNIX and
>Windows systems.  You might find that writing a perl script intead
>of VB Script will give you BOTH worlds.
>
>Some of you are about to lose your MCSE certification because you
>haven't been certified in Windows 2000 server yet.  You COULD go
>out and spend $1500 to LEGALLY purchase Windows 2K server, and
>you COULD spend $5000 or more to get an SMP server with RAID
>drives so that you will actually have hands on experience with
>that environment.  Or you could buy some $40 book, CRAM for an
>exam, get the right answers to questions you don't really even
>understand, and go back to rebooting Windows 2000 boxes all the time
>(because you never learned how to edit the registry, restart daemon
>processes, and fix problems so that problems don't recurr.
>
>Of course, for $20-$159, you could purchase a copy of Linux, configure
>workstations, servers, and even clusters, using boxes priced between
>$500 and $1000 each, and have source code to everything so that you
>can trace problems right down to subroutines in the kernel if necessary,
>and have the problem fixed within a day or two.
>
>It will take a few months to really get comfortable with Linux.
>You've been using Windows since Windows 3.0 (1990) and your
>Linux desktop looks a bit different, has a whole bunch of new
>programs, and has almost too much documentation and support (most
>distributions include a search engine to help you find what you
>need).
>
>> --
>> http://www.mohawksoft.com
>

>--
>Rex Ballard - VP I/T Architecture
>Linux Advocate, Internet Pioneer
>http://www.open4success.com
>Linux - 60 million satisfied users worldwide
>and growing at over 9%/month! (recalibrated 10/23/00)

And thus we see the true hero of the free software industry
again!  Friends I give you mother GPL!

For without the GPL you don't have SHIT!

Thanks

Charlie

------------------------------

From: Sgt Detritus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft tentacles squirm deeper into software hosting
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 04:35:01 GMT

In article <ZjO26.47666$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [snips]

I have seen a sig which sums up my opinion of mister Bjarnason's
commentary on the "register's" article.
"you could spend hours counting the petals on a flower
 you could spend years counting the veins in each petal
 you could spend lifetimes counting the cells...
  and you would have completely missed the point, you f***head"
The point of the whole article seems to be that M$ (a shortened and
derogatory reference to the unethically run REDMOND, WA based software
company Microsoft, for the twits in the bunch) wants to encourage the
use of an inexpensive "dummy" terminal.  the significance is that the
BEAST (see M$, above) would have control over and access to anything
that one would store in a PC on site, private, business crucial, or
not.  We may not "technically" own the software that runs on our PC's,
but at least it is as secure and private as we choose to make it.  NO-
ONE, NOT EVEN THE "OWNERS" of the software, has access should we so
choose (you can always sever a 'net connection).  the implications are
fairly obvious from this point on.  For further reference, perhaps one
should read 1984 by George Orwell.

--
Any man agitated enough to lift a 300lb. ape
without noticing is a man with way too much on

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To: alt.fan.bill-gates,alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.microsoft.sucks
Subject: Re: Big government and big business: why not fear both - www.ezboard.com
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 04:43:45 GMT

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001 20:55:11 -0500 (EST), pub10.ezboard.com web2news.pl
<Use-Author-Address-Header@[127.1]> wrote:

>May 3, 2000

A bit old, wouldn't you say?

> WASHINGTON, DC -- The Justice Department's plan to break up Microsoft
> is not just a bad legal decision -- it's a case of "bureaucratic grand
> larceny" that has already stolen more wealth from Americans than all
> the bank robbers in history, the Libertarian Party charged today.

> Specifically, the Justice Department's announcement last month that
> Microsoft broke antitrust law -- and its decision last week to try to
> divide the Redmond, Washington-based corporation into two separate
> companies -- caused a massive meltdown in technology stocks.

How does the Libertarian Party explain the even larger meltdown that has
happened since May?  Did Janet Reno threaten to break up everybody on
the NASDAQ?

They don't know that the MS ruling caused anything to melt down, this is
pure speculation.  It is logical that the ruling hurt MS, but then
everybody with a clue assumed they were going to lose so one would think
that the market had already accounted for that.  And there's nothing in
this press release that gives any reasoning for how the rest of the tech
industry got hurt by the ruling.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 23:45:57 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
Subject: Re: Operating Systems? Where would you go next?

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Clue for the BRAINLESS:  *I* didn't put the blank there.
>
> In light of that...why does the goddamn blank exist?????

Why don't you read the 3270 manual and then get back to us on xedit:

http://www.s390.ibm.com:80/bookmgr-cgi/bookmgr.cmd/BOOKS/CN7P4000/CCONTENTS?SHELF=EZ2HW120

Gary

------------------------------

From: "JSPL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Profitability of Linux being a challenge
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 23:51:12 -0500

"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> JSPL wrote:
> >
> > "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Because there's a market!  Contrary to what some WinZealots want us to
> > > think, people are using Linux.
> >
> > I just dis a search at Amazon.com for the keywords "microsoft windows"
and
> > it shows 3589 matches. I then did a search for "linux" and that keyword
> > recieved 510 matches. I also was in a Barnes & Noble not long ago and do
not
> > remember seeing nearly as many Linux related books compared to volume
after
> > volume, and sometimes multi volume SETS of books about Microsoft Windows
and
> > NT.
>
> 510/3589 = 14%, which is a hell of a lot more than 0.3% or even 3%. Not
> a bad ratio at all.

That depends on your point of view. One could argue thats it's a very bad
ratio. If it was more user friendly there would be a need for such a high
ratio, especially since the OS exists on only .3% of the worlds computers.
For example my own ratio of Linux books compared to Windows books is 2:0
And I don't even use Linux except for hosting websites and telneting into
the servers every now and then. I solely use Windows for most of my work yet
own NO Windows books. If I add in my two perl books that sends the ration up
to 4:0. I've never needed a book to show me how to operate Windows. Never
even called a Windows support number or support center, or whatever it is
that "they" do.

> In the OS section of the B&N store in Mt. Pleasant SC, the ratio is more
> like 40/60 if you add in the few UNIX and the single FreeBSD book.

Thats even WORSE!! :-)

------------------------------

From: "Hughie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Trouble logging in
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 21:10:22 -0800

I create a new user in SuSE and no matter whether I use the -p switch or not
to create a password, I cannot login using the new username I just added.

What am I doing wrong?  Or what am I not doing that I should be doing?

This is what my command looks like:

useradd -c dummy user -p password tjohnson

There is no -r switch in SuSE as there is in, say, RedHat.

------------------------------

From: "JSPL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 00:02:47 -0500

"Chad C. Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:C6u46.15025$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:CIk46.51464$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "Chad C. Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:fFj46.11915$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:u3R36.62473$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> 15:19:01
> 23:01:49
> rules.
> > > liar.

> it,

> of

> claim
> > > up.
> least,

> deeply,

> law.
> > > >

> > > Watergate
> >
> > In the Florida Election process.
> >
> > If you want to go into the past and point out times when Dems and Reps
> broke
> > the law, I could cite far more Democratic law-breakings.
> >
> > Anyhow, Nixon did that on his own, that wasn't sanctioned by the RNC,
> whereas
> > this Florida fixing was sactioned by the DNC.
> >

> As opposed to the Republican Sherrif's setting up roadblocks to intimidate
> African American voters on their way to the polls.

It didn't seem to intimidate the busloads who were lured lured to the polls
with promises of free cigarettes and wine by the democrats though.