From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Could only...
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 22:14:13 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [...]
> paralyzed the guy, that's hardly a strange finding.
>
> But anyway, let's just concentrate on the fact that him shooting four
> teenagers because he *felt threatened* by them was not considered a
> criminal act. Apparently, Goetz' fear in the particular situation was
> based on incidents years before. He felt uncomfortable in certain
> situations, but was of the opinion that it was his damn right to go
> where he wanted to go and sit where he wanted to sit, even if it meant
> putting himself into (perceived) danger. He also apparently thought
> that it was his damn right to defend himself against such perceived
> danger, to the point where he shot 4 youths who he didn't know, didn't
> know anything about, and who hadn't done anything other than asking
> for (or demanding, depending on whose version you believe) $5 of him,
> and who between them didn't carry any weapon more potent than a screwdriver.
>
> Now, imagine you were a poor black youngster who likes rap music. You
> travel on the subway, with a few of your friends, you are having an
> agitated discussion about the latest CD by your favourite artist, using
> your clique-lingo mixed with a lot of rap-terms. Enter the middle-aged,
> anglo-saxon white collar worker, who sits down next to you and your
> friends, and keeps looking at you nervously, presumable because he
> doesn't understand the language you are using (but then, he might just
> pick out some of the words, which are all about social disequality,
> street violence and also sometimes violent phantasy worlds --- I mean,
> you *are* talking about rap, so those subjects are hardly surprising).
>
> Now, you *are* aware that said white collar worker, if he is frightened
> by his surroundings, might whip out a gun any second and start shooting
> you and your friends. You are also aware that the courts will say that
> he didn't break the law doing so. Furthermore, you are aware that this
> has actually happened on at least one occasion.
>
> Ask yourself a simple question --- would you be justified feeling threatened
> by the white collar worker? Would you, consequently, be justified in
> warding off a perceived threat to your life by shooting that white
> collar worker?
>
> If you answer "yes", then tell me --- do you *really* want to live in
> such a society?
> If you answer "no", please explain why one person feeling threatened by
> another is justified shooting, but another person feeling threatened isn't.
>
> Do you really think shooting 4 people, one of them to the point where he
> will live out the rest of his life in a wheel chair and with the mental
> capacity of an eight year old, is an appropriate response to being asked
> for money? Or even to being hassled for money?
>
> Or, to put it even more poignantly: How much did the 5 bullets cost that
> Bernie Goetz dumped into those youths? How does that price compare to
> the $5 that would have sent them on their way?

"Don't pay the Dane'sgeld, or you'll never be rid of the Dane".

> Bernie
>
> --
> If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research,
>     would it?
> Albert Einstein

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: The pros and cons of Linux vs Windows
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 03:22:55 GMT

In article <i6d76.168705$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Pete Goodwin wrote:
>Charlie Ebert wrote:
>
>> >KDE konqueror can't seem to see SMB drives on either a SAMBA server or a
>> >Windows PC.
>>
>> Yes it can.  Your not running Debian are you.
>
>No it can't. Why do you think I logged a bug on this one for KDE?

I've used it.  IT works.

>> >Konqueror as a web browser appears to have problems with some of the web
>> >sites I visit. Netscape works but has two weaknesses - dreadful fonts and
>> >poor file saving - it displays a MOTIF style save dialog that doesn't
>> >understand the concept of caching the last directory saved to.
>>
>> I'm aware of your previous comments.  I dont' think the font's are
>> that dreadful but there ARE some websites Konqueror still can't view.
>
>Yes. Thank's for agreeing with me.

They {Gnome and KDE} have a plan to gut Netscape and take the
components to build their integrated web browsers.

Gnome is even going to take chunks of Star Office and integrate
an entire office suite with it.

>> >KDE konqueror works fine with NFS mounted drivers, but I've yet to find a
>> >free NFS server for Windows.
>>
>> I don't know why you'd want a NFS server for Windows?
>
>At the moment I have a Linux server and a Linux/Windows workstation. If I
>switch the server to Windows 98 SE, then the Linux workstation has problems
>seeing the files on it. It seems smbclient works fine, but smbmount is a
>beta test proggie noone wants to maintain.
>
>> Why not just NMB.
>
>See above.

I can browse over a 98, W2k and NT 4.0 box right now from
this Debian station.  They can also browse the Debian server.

So, I have this working also.

>> >Konqueror has problems with file save dialogs but it at least remembers
>> >context.
>>
>> I've not see this yet.
>
>Then try it.

I would like more information on this before I just try it.
Tell me exactly what to do and I'll try it as you say.
What were you doing exactly.

>> But I've been spending more time with Gnome these days on Debian.
>
>It won't make any difference wether you use Gnome or KDE or whatever -
>Netscape uses a MOTIF style dialog that takes ages on a large directory on
>an NFS mounted tree.

Nope.  It's very fast.

>> >Windows appears to give the best all around answer but crashes or hangs
>> >too much.
>> >

>> I can't honestly say Windows gave me more functionality
>> than KDE nor GNOME and yet Windows crashed all the time
>> in routine use.  The last time I had a GNOME crash was
>> a couple of years ago in the beta stages.
>
>I can say it gives me more functionality. I can also say I've seen KDE
>crash and freeze.

I still have yet to see X freeze on me.  I've heard
people say it does but I've never been able to
replicate it.  And I've had 300 windows open on Debian
before just to see if I could fuck it up.

>> Why don't you evaluate Potato from Debian and use GNOME.
>
>Nah. I think I'll stick with Linux Mandrake and KDE.
>
>--
>Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

I think the problem here is with the Distro.

I'm not spending hours installing things over here
nor setting them up to run efficiently.

Debian just naturally works and it's very fast.

I would still suggest you use Debian.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 03:24:21 GMT

In article <n%o76.29691$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Pete Goodwin wrote:
>Roberto Alsina wrote:
>
>> > KDE konqueror can't seem to see SMB drives on either a SAMBA server or a
>> > Windows PC.
>>
>> Actually, it works here, but if it doesn't, Caldera is paying someone to
>> implement it right.
>
>Seems like Mandrake couldn't get it right.

This is what I'm saying.  Try Debian.

>> If you really want it now, use Gnomba as a "neighborhood"), and configure
>> it to run "kfmclient openURL" when opening a share.
>
>Well, I decided it was easier to use NFS, Linux seems to work with that. Of
>course, I can't immediately find an NFS client for Windows, so I use SAMBA
>on the server. That works fine too. What I can't quite get to work is a
>Windows server. Then, KDE can't see Windows shares, even if smbclient can.
>
>> > Konqueror as a web browser appears to have problems with some of the web
>> > sites I visit.
>>
>> Konqueror on 2.1 works with even more sites than it used to.
>
>I'll have to wait for a CD to be available with a version Mandrake with KDE
>2.1 on it.
>
>--
>Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

I just don't have any trouble with this.
I just don't.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: The real truth about NT
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 03:29:21 GMT

In article <mwd76.285$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> [...]
>
>How exactly did you do this over the last three years when you just found
>out about it in the last 4 months?
>
>> 2. Disk Space - I don't think I have to say more...
>
>I guess you should, since you don't seem to have a point.
>
>> 3. DBX Files - Two key problems: a) SIZE and b) File Format. I used a
>> utility called oe2mbx.exe to convert a inbox.mbx file to an Linux mbx
>> file. The result was this: DBX = 808Kb MBX = 488Kb. Further more I
>> think the dbx is a realy dumb format. You can't do anything with it. If
>> you import it in an Excel spreadsheet or even Notepad you get like a
>> trillion of useless characters. M$ should have added a DBX import into
>> Excel at least.
>
>That's why they have a compact function.  Right click in OE on the newsgroup
>and choose compact.
>
>Mailbox files are automatically compacted.  Aditionally, Mbox format is
>simply the emails appended to each other, while the DBX format uses indexing
>to allow it to find messages faster and search easier.
>
>In any event, I fail to see this is a "general" problem for businesses to
>avoid NT.
>
>> 4. CD-RW - NT gave so far 6 duds vs 0 to Linux in my org. (Maybe
>> mentioning that the Linux box burns about 15 times more CD's then the
>> NT box is overdoing it...)
>
>Simply incorrect.  If you're making coasters, then you've got something
>seriously screwed up.
>
>> 5. Backup - ALL User data in Linux ends up in $HOME. In NT MOST end up
>> in ..\Profiles, *BUT*, two major problems: a) *.DBX does not end up
>> here, causing OE data not to be backed up on most sites, and b) when re-
>> installing NT, you loose your ..\Profiles from the word go. I found it
>> also a hassle to move Profiles to another location because you waist
>> time when re-installing NT to reconfigure everything again to the new
>> location.
>
>2000 doesn't use the profiles directory.  But, even so, Outlook Express
>*DOES* store it's files in Profiles in NT.  On my NT4 system it's in
>C:\WINNT\Profiles\FunkenbuschE\Application
>Data\Identities\{FF07A5B0-0B73-11D3-97D5-005004608B71}\Microsoft\Outlook
>Express.
>
>So you're wrong again.  And you don't lose your profiles if you reinstall
>NT, it just creates new ones.  You only copy the files from your old profile
>into the new one.
>
>> 6. Install time - As you might have guesed, I re-installed NT now a
>> couple of times. Average install time from scratch to a FULLY working
>> Work Station with all apps installed takes about 4 hours (on some older
>> systems up to 6 hours). I have not yet re-installed a Linux system, but
>> a new install, with linking up to my company $HOME directory and all
>> the other bells and whistles takes less then an hour.
>
>Fully installing Linux took me 3 days to get all the apps configured
>correctly.
>
>> Net result: The M$ TCO theory goes up in smoke!

Here's the scoop on installing and configuring a Debian server.

30 minutes to format the hard drive and install your components.

Then there's 10 minutes to load your datafiles.

Then another 20 minutes drinking your Miller whilst your
neighbor marvels over what you've just accomplished
all over your cablemodem.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 03:30:44 GMT

In article <ENm76.505$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

>> > I guess you should, since you don't seem to have a point.
>>
>> POINT: NT requires lots more disk space then Linux (machines doing
>> roughly the same work)
>
>Strange, My linux install was over 1GB.

My Debian server takes up a whole 300 MB of disk space.

That's because I was a total jerk and selected every fool
thing I could get my hands on with Dselect.

> [...]
>*WILL* lose your inbox eventually.  That's why Maildir format was created in
>qmail.
>
>> I have created search scripts for the Linux boxes, and the results so
>> far are very good. I have not perfected it yet, but in general I get
>> results faster then in OE. The results can also be used in any other
>> app, which is not the case with OE search results (unless you know of a
>> 3rd party app that I can get hold off)
>
>OE searching is quite fast.

>> the
>> >
>> > Simply incorrect.  If you're making coasters, then you've got
>> something
>> > seriously screwed up.
>>
>> Nope
>
>I've burn dozens of CD's a week and I have never burned a coaster on NT.
>Something is screwed up on your system if this is the case.

>> up
>> when re-
>> it
>> new
>> >
>> > 2000 doesn't use the profiles directory.  But, even so, Outlook
>> Express
>> > *DOES* store it's files in Profiles in NT.  On my NT4 system it's in
>> > C:\WINNT\Profiles\FunkenbuschE\Application
>> > Data\Identities\{FF07A5B0-0B73-11D3-97D5-005004608B71}
>> \Microsoft\Outlook
>> > Express.
>> >
>> > So you're wrong again.  And you don't lose your profiles if you
>> reinstall
>> > NT, it just creates new ones.  You only copy the files from your old
>> profile
>> > into the new one.
>> >

>> The problem is the "{FF.." part which differs. You see, in my setup I
>> need to convert some users dbx files to mbx files as they use dual boot
>> systems (users that are slowly seeing the light!).
>
>The FF part is within my personal profile, so it gets backed up, unlike your
>claims.
>
>> In any case, my existing Profiles WAS destroyed. NT even displays a
>> warning message during the early stages of the install (file server).
>> Of course if it's a workstation it's a bit easier, but the local
>> profiles still get destroyed.
>
>NT does *NOT* destroy profiles when you reinstall, it just creates a new
>one.  You need only copy the files over from the old profile.

>> working
>> older
>> but
>> >
>> > Fully installing Linux took me 3 days to get all the apps configured
>> > correctly.
>>
>> While you are learning Linux, yes - maybe. After a couple of years - no
>> way.
>
>Yes way.  Unless of course you're always installing the exact same programs
>with the exact same configurations, in which case you should just ghost your
>drive.

>> > As if there is one for Linux.
>>
>> No need - it's a fact.
>
>Facts have supporting evidence.  None exists for linux.

Fukenbush.  You truely live face down in a moon crater.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Who LOVES Linux again?
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 03:33:35 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>Mark Addinall wrote:
>>
>> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>> > Better check your memory chips.
>>
>> Dunno.  Looks like software.  I've had this happen to me once.
>> Although since using Linux since 1.1.13 I'm not complaining.
>>
>> What I do find is netscape chews into swap over an extended
>> period of time, and thrashes the disk.  Moreso when so
>> is loaded.  Fighting for resource?
>
>Add memory.  This will stop the thrashing.

256 megs of ram running Debian as a server will move
the earth.

The same for a workstation.

But you can configure a decent server with as little
as 64 megs of memory for home use and have no swapping.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Windows 2000
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 03:39:45 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>Charlie Ebert wrote:
>> And if you are in need of a good GUN always remember it's
>> all in the caliber baby!
>
>Damn straight.  Did you hear that the DoD contracted for more .45 cal
>pistols?  It seems that the spec-ops guys were sick of having the choice
>of pissy-9's or ad-hoc collections of .45 cal equipment.

OH but with that 9MM you can have 12 rounds just incase you miss!

So the apartment complex you have your gun battle in will have
11 holes thru neighbors walls instead of 5.

They told the State Troopers YOU WILL CARRY A .41 MAG!
So they issued the .41's and the troopers put them
under their seats and in their trunks and strapped
on Ruger Redhawks .44 instead.

.41 sometimes bounces off a windshield.

A .44 mainly bounces the drivers head off the rear
windshield before the bullet falls out of the skull
in the back seat.

There is a difference.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: kernel problems(new)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 03:33:23 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> --------------0E4A870E1868093E98795D13
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Having some trouble with the new 2.4 kernel. I compiled it correctly,
> > installed it with lilo, but when I boot it, the screen goes black and
> > everything stops. So, I thought maybe it was something in the configuration,
> > so I recompiled it and did a 'make bzdisk'. I rebooted the floppy, and the
> > kernel loaded fine, but panicked because the it tryed to mount the first
> > partition as the root partition, which is a windoze partition. So, I know
> > that the kernel works, but I can't figure out why it won't boot from the hard
> > drive. Any solutions?
>
> What distribution and what version are you using?
Slackware 7.1
> What compiler did you use? (if gcc>= 2.95, you may need to add
> -fno-strict-aliasing)

Slackware uses egcs for everything, my gcc is a link to egcs 2.91.66. Note
that this make NO difference in compiling, I use the standard glibc package
2.1, egcs is capable of doing compiles in place of gcc with no problems

> What kind of hard disk do you have?
> What kind of hardware controller do you have?

Not sure what the brand is, I know I have it setup currently as a simple IDE
drive, and that works

> Do you have SMP?
??? Not sure
> We need much more info if you really want help.

The probelm is not how I compiled it, since it boots fine off the floppy.
Now, it could be that I forgot something when I configured it that made it
unable to use the hard drive. I enabled scsi emu so I could use my CD-Writer,
that MAY be a problem, but it shouldn't since it will detect it as IDE before
it detects it as "scsi". Any thoughts?

C Pungent

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: You and Microsoft...
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 03:41:41 GMT

In article <uGd76.288$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>"Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:93in2m$adklg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >The Windows setup files are all 8.3 conformant.  We were talking about
>> using
>> >a network card, not a modem.
>>
>> I thought we were talking about installing from the internet so both
>> netcards and modems are relevent here.
>
>As if installing Linux via modem is feasible.

Funny you should ask this.

Debian will install over a modem and I just did this 2 weeks
ago.  I put potato on a rural PC on a farm for a farmer.

The Debian install dials the phone, and the download takes
over night.  If the phone line disconnects it redials
and apt-get restarts where it left off.

It's totally hands free and it doesn't miss a single bit.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 03:42:56 GMT

In article <08f76.2258$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Tom Wilson wrote:

>"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:uGd76.288$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:93in2m$adklg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > using
>> >
>> > I thought we were talking about installing from the internet so both
>> > netcards and modems are relevent here.
>>
>> As if installing Linux via modem is feasible.
>
>I have great admiration for anyone with patience enough to install Linux
>from a dial-up connection. I know I couldn't do it. I got impatient
>downloading the Windows 98 Beta image from a T1 connection.
>
>--
>Tom Wilson
>Sunbelt Software Solutions

Well thanks but I mainly just had a beer and went to bed.

Then we ate breakfast and when we finished we answered
a few config questions which apt-get left us and I
showed the farmer his new os.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 03:47:04 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
>Bartek Kostrzewa wrote:
>>

>> > By your own scoring Bartek you have eliminated
>> > Windows.  Yet you still have favorable comments
>> > to make of this OS.
>> >
>> > Why?
>> >
>> > Charlie
>>
>> Because Linux has its flaws too. And I'm not a zaelot, I like Linux and
>> use it as my everyday OS, but I find some things about Windows appealing
>> still, and credit where credit is due.
>>
>> 1) ease of use (that's for newbies, once it's set up correctly, it will
>> not fail, and configuration is something you won't have to worry about
>> again)
>
>Actually, the Unix CDE GUI is MUCH better in this regard... KDE or Gnome
>are even better.  Why?  Because clueless newbies can fuck up the configuration
>of a Windows box without even trying...conversely, they have no such
>ability on a Unix or Linux box.

When I worked for HBOC I thought I was a major revenue producer
for the company doing Windows programming.

We went to a meeting with the president and saw the slide show.

The financial slide show showed that windows development accounted
for only about 10% of the companies revenues.  Where did the other
90% come from?

SUPPORT.

Charlie