From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 Major Advance
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 13:55:43 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:93mc6k$2vt$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >Besides, there haven't been any security issues with the GDI in the
> >kernel
>
> Really? You mean when earlier versions of kernel-GDI didn't properly check
> the parameters passed in to some methods, and thus allowed ordinary users
> to crash the whole machine, that was not a security issue?

It's more of a DoS than a security issue. Was security compromised? Were
non-priveleged users able to obtain a privleged state in the system? No.
It just crashed and rebooted. Yes, annoying, and yes an issue, but not
like glaring security holes and root exploits ever-present in Linux.

> >and only very poorly written video drivers can do harm, and
> >even then the worse they can do is cause a BSOD. Not anything compared
> >to a kernel patch, root kit, or similar problem with an httpd running
> >in the kernel. I've yet to see an httpd that didn't have an exploit
> >in it (yes, even Apache and IIS). OTOH, I've yet to see an admin
> >exploit using video drivers and the GDI.
>
> I will wait for you to post a pointer to the first khttpd exploit you
> can find. I won't hold my breath, though ;)

Are you *really* trying to argue that there are no bugs AT ALL in that
httpd they used?

-Chad

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Hatred?
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:12:28 GMT

Said Erik Funkenbusch in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Thu, 11 Jan 2001
>"Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:93krth$rps$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> : "Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> : news:93iqoq$fea$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> :> Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> :>
>> :> : I don't fear Linux.  In fact, I run my web server under Linux.  I simply
>> :> : don't find Linux useful as a desktop system today, and get annoyed when
>> :> : Linux zealots insist that Linux can replace Windows today.  It can't.
>> :> : If it could, I'd be using it.
>> :>
>> :> Can you comprehend the difference between "X can do Y", and "I use X to
>> :> do Y"?  Just because YOU don't use it that way doesn't imply it can't
>> :> be used that way.  Pretending that your personal needs are identical
>> :> to everyone else's is a common error when extrapolating from anecdotal
>> :> evidence to the general case.
>>
>> : I didn't say it can't be used that way.  Why do you insist on pretending I
>> : said things I didn't say?
>>
>> You *did* say it can't be used to replace windows.  You even repeat it
>> in this reply.
>
>No, I said it can't replace Windows, not that it can't be USED to replace
>windows.

Oh, that makes perfect sense then.  Guffaw.

He's never going to stop wiggling, Steve; you know that, don't you?  ;-)

   [...]
>> And that's what's false.  Let me teach you some basic logic:
>> If someone says, "X *cannot* do Y", all it takes is a single
>> counter-example to prove it wrong.
>
>Sure, show me a single counter-example of Linux displacing every copy of
>Windows on every desktop of the world.

Guffaw.

>> That's why it's a pretty
>> stupid idea to make such a sweeping generalization in an
>> argument.  All it takes is a single example of someone replacing
>> Windows with Linux, and the statement "Linux cannot replace Windows"
>> becomes false.  Go read the press releases for the last few years.
>> While there aren't a *large* number of these examples, there are some,
>> and all it takes is one single example to make your claim false.
>
>No, I used the words Linux and Windows as a collective, not as an
>individual.  If I had said what you claim, I would have said "A linux
>install can't replace a windows install" or something similar.
   [...]
>It quite simply can't.  At least, not today.

I think what you really mean to say is "it hasn't", and you'd like,
desperately, to be able to rest your case entirely on that.

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:04:19 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:93mjk1$vn8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <o0j76.21053$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:93jbt6$iri$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Hi Chad,
> > >
> > > If this really necessary?

> the 2.2

> > > Here's some information about the 2.4 kernel:
> > >

> http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-01-05-007-04-NW-LF-KN
> > >
> > > A small quotation:
> > > "A number of changes in Linux 2.4 can be described as "enterprise
> level."
> > > That is, they may not be immediately useful to many desktop users
> but work
> > > to strengthen Linux as a whole. For the most part, the addition of
> these
> > > features does not degrade Linux in more "normal" environments.
> First, Linux
> > > 2.4 can handle many more simultaneous processes by being more
> scalable on
> > > multiprocessor systems and also by providing a configurable process
> limit.
> > > Second, the scheduler has been revised somewhat to be more efficient
> on
> > > systems with a larger number of concurrent processes. Third, the
> revised
> > > Linux kernel can now handle an amazing number of users and groups--
> about
> > > 4.2 billion. (And that's a lot of users!) In addition, support for
> more
> > > powerful hardware is provided in the new kernel, which now supports
> up to 64
> > > gigabytes of RAM on Intel hardware, up to 16 Ethernet cards, 10 IDE
> > > controllers, multiple IO-APICs, and other pointless abuses of good
> hardware.
> > > The 2-gigabyte file size restriction has also been lifted. With
> these
> > > changes and others, the Linux kernel development team is proving
> that Linux
> > > can be an option in many new environments."
> >
> > They claimed Linux 2.2 was "enterprise ready" which was a big pile of
> crap.
> >
> > 2.4 is better, I'll agree, but it's still nowhere near the level of
> Win2K
> > DC, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, etc.
>
> Have you even looked at the SpecWeb99 benchmarks? Linux 2.4 with its
> threaded webserver extensions blew every other OS out of the water,
> including the "enterprise" Unices on *much* more expensive hardware.
> Win2k with IIS5 has only just managed to /nearly/ catch up.

Of course, the Linux web server ran in the kernel, which isn't practical
at all.

If you look at the real data, Win2K blew away all the competition including
Apache on Linux.

Please show me one large company who is using a kernel-based HTTP daemon.

You can't, because they don't exist.

> Win2K datacenter? At what price per processor? At what price for
> support? Don't make me laugh.

Datacenter for a web server? Don't make me laugh. Do you even know
what the word "enterprise" means?

> > As far as the "4.2 billion users and groups", it doesn't matter
> because
> > the security implementation in Linux is elementary. There is no
> support
> > for ACLs (without "unstable" add-ons), there's only the
> less-than-secure
> > permission bits option. There's no real directory service. NIS+ is
> about
> > the closest thing, but it's still no NDS or ADS level.
> >

> As someone else said, what about LDAP? A widely used, scalable, and most
> importantly *open* standard.

For phone book and other basic directories. LDAP is read-only. LDAP 2 and
3 are read-write, but again, LDAP is just the directory access protocol,
not the directory itself (thus the name Light-weight Directory Access Protocol).

Are their any large-scale X.500 or later directories for multi-site,
multi-organizational, multi-master replication on the scale of ADS or
NDS? At present, only ADS and NDS compete in that space and there is
no equivalent for Linux. Especially written in Open Source.

I can write a phone book directory that uses LDAP for access, woohoo, big
whoop.

> Active Directory is an ugly, proprietary hack of an ancient Novell idea,

Not really. If you'd look at it, you'd see it's far superior to NDS in
a number of ways. But then, you've never been interested in facts, or
intelligence, you just want to blindly bash whatever you fear.
You probably don't even know what a large-scale Directory Service does.

> and of course it's designed to be incompatible with everything else.

Again, another BLATANTLY false statement. It was designed using all
available standards (X.500, LDAP, SMTP, etc). It can interact with
NDS, StreetTalk, Microsoft Exchange (which is another X.500 directory
service) and several other X.500 compatible directory services.

It can replicate to partners using X.500, SMTP, and other standard
protocols.

Clients can authenticate to it using standard Kerberos (yes, MS'
kerberos is 100% krbv5 compliant. They use the "vendor-specific"
field set by MIT for exactly the way MS is using it to communicate
with Windows clients to take advantage of Windows features. If you're
a unix machine authenticating to ADS, you wouldn't have use for these
Windows features anyhow, but you can still authenticate just like
anyone else).

Please, stop the lying.

-Chad

 More

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why does Win2k always fail in running time?
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:08:07 GMT

"Bagpuss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:f_A76.271$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Chad Myers wrote:

> It's
> > > Give me a break, do you really expect anyone to believe this bullshit?
> > > If you're going to lie, at least make it halfway believeable.
> >
> > By pointing out some flaws in windows you have kicked over
> > a hornets nest! These blue nosed, humorless windoze zealots
> > are not to be taken lightly!
> >
> > jjs

What I said was completely correct.

I subscribe to many mailing lists, read many support message boards,
talk with many colleagues who support hundreds of Win2K installations
on the desktop and I, myself, administer about a dozen or so Win2k
installations.

I can count the number of BSODs I've seen or heard of on one hand.
For this idiot to come in here and say it crashes several times a day
is absolutely rediculous. It's like saying that Linux crashes every
day. Even I, a professed Linux hater, will say that that's absurd.

This Matt guy has fallen off his rocker, or he's just blatantly
lying, which is more likely.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A salutary lesson about open source
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:28:14 GMT

In article <hWD76.28007$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:93m071$fip$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > http://www.interbase2000.org/
> >
> > InterBase was released as open source at the end of July 2000. A
complete
> > backdoor was discovered when examining the source. This backdoor has
existed
> > in the commercial versions of the code since 1994 and appears to
have been
> > known about for some time and used by at least one Borland/Inprise
engineer.

> > There's also a discussion on Slashdot :
> > http://slashdot.org/articles/01/01/11/1318207.shtml
>
> Ok, that's one example of one GOOD thing about Open Source. However,
> unfortunately, it's not the norm. Especially on large projects like
Linux.
> Bugs are still being discovered in the kernel (not at as fast a rate,
> granted, but they're there and still being discovered). Some are old
bugs,
> some are new bugs from new code.
>
> Some of these bugs had existed for quite some time. Why weren't they
discovered
> immediately?

Bugs are a part of life. Unless you are completely blinded by your lust
for Microsoft, you know that bugs are being found in MS software all the
time as well. Now, if we quit trying do divert the topic and paint Linux
as the only system that has bugs (since BOTH OS's have bugs, it's a
wash), the question remains: How do you know that there are no back
doors in your MS software?

> -Chad

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

From: "tony roth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Uptimes
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 07:05:52 -0800

right,  which is exactly the same shit that linuts users spout!  I can prove
mine,  can you?

"J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

 Your anecdotal tale is simply not beleivable to those of us
 who see windows in action on an everyday basis.