From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:10:38 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : If Germany had been in posession of proper landing craft in the spring
> : of 1941, Britain would have fallen, and the Normandy landings would
> : never have occurred.
>
> True, but the reason they *didn't* have proper landing craft was
> because of air-superiority.  The Germans didn't have any good
> spot to build a flotilla along the channel that wasn't under the
> threat of air attack.

The main reason they didn't have an invasion flotilla is because
Hitler never wanted war with Britain in the first place.  That's
why Hess flew to England.  Hitler was incensed that Churchill
wouldn't stand aside and keep the British Army out of continental
Europe.

Had Hitler *planned* to go to war against England, you can be sure
that a proper invasion fleet consisting of proper landing craft
would have been manufactured in the late 1930's.

> : The Home Guard was ill-armed because of the reactionary gun-control
> : laws pushed through by the British elite around 1920.
>
> The guns donated to the home guard came from army surplus storage.
> They were old rifles that had been packed in grease all those
> years.  I don't know where you are getting this story from of
> personal guns being given.

Americans also donated MILLIONS of personally-owned rifles,
shotguns and pistols.  In fact, the NRA (National Rifle
Association) not only sent out flyers to their members, they
also volounteered as manpower to get the weapons sorted,
packed, and shipped off to England.

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Seán Ó Donnchadha" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.security.ssh
Subject: Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ]
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:10:55 -0500

"Peter da Silva" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > It's just common sense. If a new library version isn't back-compatible,
then
> > call it a new library. And since the Unix scheme is just a convention
too,
> > it also relies on good behavior on the part of the library and
application
> > vendors. It's a convention; formal or not, nobody is forced to use it.
>
> You might as well call system calls "just a convention".
>
> The UNIX scheme is encoded in the installers, the library builders, the
> loaders, the documentation at every level. The Windows scheme is "just
> common sense".

The renaming is common sense. The checking of the VS_VERSION_INFO resource
is built into the OS and all the tools. Still, neither OS does anything to
force anyone to do the right thing.

> And it's not uses consistently by anyone, even by Microsoft.
> Sometimes libraries are named by version numbers, sometimes by whether
> they're 16 or 32 bit, and... mostly... not at all. In fact now that I'm
> looking at %systemroot%\system32, I can only see a few libraries for which
> major versions have different filenames. So you're not even that correct.

Nonsense. If a DLL doesn't have a major version number in its name, then it
simply hasn't needed a major update yet. Also, a large percentage of those
DLLs you're seeing are COM DLLs (COM makes it convenient to package multiple
known-incompatible implementations in a single DLL).

> > Those are bugs, and the Unix scheme is just as vulnerable to them. If
libfoo
> > 1.4 is incompatible with libfoo 1.3 (and it's author doesn't notice the
> > incompatibility in testing), or if some application relies on a bug in
> > libfoo 1.3 that's fixed in 1.4, then updating libfoo will break things,
and
> > there's nothing the Unix OS can do about it.
>
> Sure. You just install libfoo.1.3.so and libfoo.1.4.so. Worst case you
wrap
> the application in this script:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> exec env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/appname/lib appname ${1+"$@"}

You can do the same thing in Windows.

> > Yes, and Unix prevents this from happening [programmers writing
libraries
> > that don't follow the libfoo.x.y.so] how?
>
> It doesn't prevent it, but it makes it rare enough that I haven't heard
> of it causing a problem, over more years and systems than Microsoft.

You misunderstood my statement (the part you inserted in the square brackets
isn't what I was talking about). Here's the correct version: Unix prevents
this from happening [programmers accidentally issuing incompatible minor
library updates] how? Remember, following the naming convention is easy;
lab-testing for 100% back-compatibility is hard.

> > Look, the problem is not
> > that some library vendor may forget to append "10" or "-1.0" to the
> > filename. The problem is that the library vendor may someday issue an
update
> > mistakenly believing that it's 100% back-compatible when it really
isn't.

> That's simply not a problem, because when you install the new library it
> doesn't replace the existing library. It's always got a new name.

Yes, but the symbolic link is redirected to point at the new minor version,
so the next time you run an application that imports the library by major
version (i.e., one that loads the library through the symbolic link), you
may get screwed.

> > But that's not really the point.
> > Look at your statement above. Do you see where it says "any version with
> > that minor version number or later is considered to satisfy the
> > requitement"? The two words "or later" are the key that opens both the
door
> > to convenient library updates and the door to DLL Hell.
>
> Nope, because the old version is not deleted. The program that wants
foo.1.3
> still gets foo.1.3, and new programs get foo.1.4.

That's not how it works the vast majority of the time. Most programs specify
only the major version (in your lingo, they want foo.1), but were lab-tested
against a specific minor version (say, foo.1.3). If you install foo.1.4 and
redirect the foo.1 symbolic link, the program may no longer work.

> > > In which case the program can provide its own copy of the minor
version
> > > required, anywhere in the library search path, and it will load it
without
> > > conflicting with other versions that may be loaded, EVEN if the major
and
> > > minor version numbers are the same.
> >
> > There are several problems with this "solution". First of all, an
> > application vendor can't predict that someday the vendor of some library
> > he's using will accidentally issue an incompatible update.
>
> Since he won't be using the updated version unless the administrator
deleted
> the old one, that's not an issue.

On the contrary, he *WILL* be using the update because he loads the library
through the symbolic link that represents the major version.

> > Third, if you're talking about the end user fixing the
> > problem by installing the required minor library version someplace where
> > only the affected application will see it, then you're right, but (a)
you
> > can do that in Windows as well,
>
> If I have C:\Program Files\Appname\MSCRT40.DLL already loaded, and an app
> asks for MSCRT40.DLL, they'll get the loaded version even if they need the
> one in C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32, so no you can't.

That's simply not true of Win32 DLLs. If you wish, I'll prove it to you by
sending sample code.

> > and (b) what are the chances that Joe Q.
> > Public will figure out how to do it?
>
> Joe Q. Public calls tech support, tech support tells them to download the
> script (above).

Again, this would work under Windows as well.

> > Huh? That's how Windows works as well! Wait a minute, didn't you know
that?

> Microsoft has stated the opposite. I paid Microsoft good 900 number money
> for that information, when I was trying to solve exactly this problem.

I'm sorry you got the wrong information. Give me a call next time :-)

> > Untrue. Like I said, I run IE under an account with practically no
> > filesystem privileges, no address book, and no LAN identity.
>
> While that makes it an interesting question as to how you get any work
done,
> an applet doesn't need any of that to load and run any of those things.

Who is the applet going to spam if it doesn't have an address book to scrub?
How is it going to damage LAN resources if it has no LAN identity? What
programs will it load and run if it's blocked by the OS at the filesystem
level? I'm not an expert in such attacks; I really want to know.

> > > An ActiveX aplet can do anything the locally logged in user can.
>
> > Unless it's running in a process belonging to someone other than the
locally
> > logged in user.
>
> How do you manage that with Internet Explorer, given IE's level of desktop
> integration, when Microsoft can't even manage to give Outlook and Windows
> Explorer different security settings?

I launch IE from a shortcut whose target is "runas /user:[hostname]\guest
iexplore".

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:13:28 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : If Germany had been in posession of proper landing craft in the spring
> : of 1941, Britain would have fallen, and the Normandy landings would
> : never have occurred.
>
> True, but the reason they *didn't* have proper landing craft was
> because of air-superiority.  The Germans didn't have any good
> spot to build a flotilla along the channel that wasn't under the
> threat of air attack.
>
> : The Home Guard was ill-armed because of the reactionary gun-control
> : laws pushed through by the British elite around 1920.
>
> The guns donated to the home guard came from army surplus storage.
> They were old rifles that had been packed in grease all those
> years.  I don't know where you are getting this story from of
> personal guns being given.

I first became aware of it when I saw circa 1940 posters pleading
for American citizens to donate their firearms to the defence of the
beleaguared British Isles.

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Allchin backtracks, now likes open source
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:15:53 -0500

Peter Hayes wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:00:09 GMT, Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> > > The General in charge will get reamed up the ass some day.
> > > The military is VERY harsh on high-ranking officers who fuck things
> > > up.  Maybe not immediately...but as soon as the failure happens, and
> > > the post-mortem analysis is done (and the military ALWAYS does
> > > post-mortem analysis of system failures)....the fingers will be
> > > pointing at the men who chose to use Windows....and the General
> > > who approved it.
> >
> > One complaint I've heard is that the software decisions "are so
> > political."  Sorry I don't have a link, but this was given as a reason
> > for Windows adoption in government, including the military.  The gist of
> > the article was that the generals and admirals weren't making the
> > decisions, that Congress critters were micromanaging Windows into the
> > military over some objections.  Naturally, those civilians responsible
> > will be nowhere nearby when the systems fail.
>
> I find it incredible that anyone with a grain of intellegence would even
> consider for one moment recommending any M$ product for military use. But
> "Military Intellegence" is an oxymoron.

Hanson is right..this is a decision made by POLITICIANS, not military men.

> The recent exploits of the Russian "hackers" breaking into M$ should serve
> as a wake-up call. Or are memories so short?

The legislation mandating the use of Windows in the project probably
went through YEARS ago.

> Open source code, where a full security audit is possible, is the only
> cost-effective solution, the alternative being custom code which is too
> dependent on a core team that could be broken up through any number of
> foreseeable and unforeseeable causes.
> --
>
> Peter
>
> 55°25"N  4°44'W

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 23:17:23 GMT

"Nick Condon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Edward Rosten) wrote in <972j0q$jm6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> >> No...that was the TAX COLLECTOR.
> >>
> >> Robin Hood merely returned to the people what was wrongfully stolen
from
> >> them by Little John's tax collectors.
> >
> >Robin Hood was a common thief turned in to a legend.
> >
> >Little John was one of the Merry Men according to that legend. Are you
> >refering to she Sherrif of Nittingham?
>
> I think he's referring to Prince John, a little snake in the Disney
> version.

The Snake's name is Hiss,  Prince John was the thumb sucking loin in
Disney's version.  Robin Hood is one of my favorite legends.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Open Source better be careful - The Microsoft Un-American
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:22:27 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >> Diesel cycle engines do not run most efficiently at full loads, unlike
> >> Otto cycle engines.
> >
> > Regardless...you have the problem of GETTING THE TRAIN MOVING.
> >
> > The coefficient of static friction (dead stop) is always greater than
> > that sliding friction (axles turning).  Once the train has been hooked
> > up, the guy running the train has no control over how much a load there
> > is to get the train moving from a dead stop.  The primary reason for
> > going from steam to diesel was that a single diesel-electric could
> > successfully pull out of a switching yard with so much weight that even
> > with seeral hooked together, steam engines could do no more than
> > literally spin their wheels without going anywhere.
>
> If the wheels are spinning then traction is not the problem, not torque, in
> which case switching to a different drive mechanism will not help.

It has to do with the nature of a piston-driven drive train as
opposed to an electric-motor driven drive train.

The electric motor can be constructed to give nearly constant torque
(like a small sine-wave superimposed on a large DC signal), as
opposed to the steam-driven piston design which has a very large
rectified-sinusoid behavior.

With the diesel electric, the "DC" component of the torque vs. time
curve can be pushed up gradually, whereas with a steam engine,
the engine can provide the proper torque momentarily, but the
wheels will then slip as torque exceeds traction...bringing the
entire train back to a dead halt, and the cycle repeats.

> -Ed
>
> --
>                                                      | u98ejr
>                                                      | @
>              Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox
>                                                      | .ac.uk

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 18:23:12 -0500

Sam Morris wrote:

> observer that

> newsreader.
> > >
> > > Indeed.  There was an interesting 'USENET the RPG' (I think
> it was Steffan
> > > O'Sullivan, or Carl Cravens) post made a long time ago, where
> it asserted
> > > that you can't really make someone else look like a fool on
> USENET, you can
> > > only make yourself look like a fool, or try to lure someone
> else into
> > > making themselves look like a fool.  The latter can only
> happen if you're
> > > responding to their lure ... so if you killfile someone, they
> can't "harm"
> > > you.
> > >

> > Have you stopped raping your daughter?
>
> Having trouble following the thread, Aaron? You will obviously
> never be able to justify the truely innane length of your sig.
> Rather than continuing to argue with the fool, I give up.
> *Plonk*.

I'll take that as a "no"

> > > Kulkis is doing a great job of making himself look like a
> fool.
>
> Here here. Even better than when Edwin went insane because
> someone posted a link to a picture that 404'd. :)
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Sam
>
> "All your base are belong to us" - Cats

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.