From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is Bill Gates MAD?!?!?
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 11:47:16 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Steve Mading wrote:
> :>
> :> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :> : Steve Mading wrote:
> :> :> Specify, what is it that is illegal?
> :>
> :> : You're not allowed to pump your own gas in New Jersey.
> :>
> :> You've got to be kidding.  Me and my boss were just out there
> :> about 4 months ago visiting Rutgers, and I could swear we
> :> stopped for gas some time during our stay and filled up the
> :> rental car, in the standard self-serve style.  My memory could
> :> be faulty, though, since I wasn't the one doing the driving and
> :> so I wasn't really paying attention.
> :>
> :> Can't pump your own gas??!  That's just plain stupid - why?
> :>
>
> : New Jersey and Colorado (?) have laws prohibiting "self serve" gas sales.
>
> That just repeats what was already said.  My question was *why* this
> is the case.  I can't see it.

Gas pumpers' union?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A salutary lesson about open source
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 16:52:06 +0000

Jan Johanson wrote:

> The fact is, it was spued into the public and only now are there script
> kiddies pounding away at the databases...

Yes and I for one you prefer to have an undiscovered back door in my
companies
publicly accessible database rather than this scary opensource stuff.
Then only the author could break in. Your logic is perfect.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why does Win2k always fail in running time?
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 12:01:59 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <A4M76.1197$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > "Mig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:93o1ek$leb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Well.. it sure looks like lots of the old MS faces are leaving the ship.
> >> The shares are down from near 120 to under 50 in about one year... i think
> >> the dumping started long ago.
> >
> > The shares will go back up.  No matter what happens with the antitrust
> > trial, they will go up.  If they're split, existing shareholders will get
> > shares in both companies, thus doubling their holdings.  If they stay
> > together, then confidence will remain and shares will go back up.  Either
> > way, this is a short term situation.
>
> You really are deluded. Wasn't it Balmer who said they were betting the
> farm on W2K? It's been a marketing disaster. Now they are betting the
> farm on a games console. Microsoft have failed in any market they have
> tried to enter apart from their monopoly OS and office market. The SEC
> are investigating how they report their quarterly figures. They are
> including earnings from investments not related to their core business.
> This is not allowed. I think we can expect Microsoft to pre-announce
> bad figures before they are due to try and soften the blow. Their shares
> will tumble. Of course Microsoft have huge cash reserves and normally
> a company in that situation would just ride the storm. I expect a large
> exodus of Microsoft employees in the first half of this year and when
> their share options hit the market Microsoft's shares will go into
> freefall.

That's the price of becoming part of a criminal organization.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: you dumb. and lazy.
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 12:03:49 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <53M76.52803$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Alt.Linux.sux.
> >
> > What part of "sux" doesn't make sense to you?
> >
> > Some idiot cross-posted this thread (someone from COLA) and now the two
> > groups are intertwined in schools of thought.
>
> Whatever. You are still a pathetic troll. If Linux is so crap why
> do you spend so much time bothering about it? If it was crap it
> would just die. You are obviously scared of your future job prospects
> in a world not dominated by Microsoft.

Kyle doesn't work...he's still in junior high school

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 Major Advance
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 17:00:26 GMT

Contrary to your assertion, SWC is in the kernel, it's visible from
user-space as a Windows 2000 device. Proof is Microsoft's own submitted
source code:
http://www.spec.org/osg/web99/results/api-src/Dell-20001212-TWC.zip - unpack
it and open the twc.c C-sourcecode file. Search for 'SWC', it gives this
comment: "// Open Kernel SWC device": Q.E.D.  Moreover, try searching for
'IIS' or 'ISAPI' in the whole source-code package - you will find only one!
You will find many references to 'SWC' (Microsoft's in-kernel webserver) and
'TWC', the API to this in-kernel webserver. You will even find some interface
definitions in twc.h. If you ever programmed dynamic applications (ISAPIs)
under IIS, you'll immediately recognize that in this benchmark no IIS was
used for the dynamic requests. (maybe IIS was used for the 0.005% CGI's
SPECweb99 generates.) Calling the test-results 'IIS 5.0 + SWC 3.0' is most
likely a boldfaced lie, or at best an extreme exaggeration. In reality it was
a "99.99% SWC 3.0 + 0.005% IIS 5.0" test.  Thomas

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Mandrake 7.2 and the banana peel
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 12:08:50 -0500

>         "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> >> You set up XFree incorrectly, because youre a moron.
> >>
> >> Please use windows instead.
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance,
> >
> > It's a good thing Britain outlawed Handguns...
> >
> > otherwise, Pete the moron would be one of those who suffers from
> > a self-inflicted wound from trying to "clean" a loaded weapon.
>
> Yet another reason why owning guns is stupid.

Na... the only people who have cleaning accidents are people too stupid
to unload the weapon first....i.e. Class A "Darwin Award" Contestants.

> I'm sure the Microsoft
> trolls here reflect the upper eschelon of Windows users (they have
> after all managed to connect themselves to the Internet) so doesn't
> that show that gun ownership is not a good idea?

Doesn't make any difference to me.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The real truth about NT
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 13:52:21 +0100

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Peter Köhlmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > Just kick of a kernel compile.
> > >
> > Well, just to try out if my SCSI-only system would stand the strain, I
> > did exactly that -- I made a CD AND did a kernel recompile while at the
> > same time browsing the net.
>
> The key word here is SCSI.  Most people burn IDE CD-R's (and those are the
> ones they burn coasters on when heavy disk activity causes them to get a
> buffer underrun)

It's not. The same system once had  NT4 installed. Doing anything similar
on NT would ALWAYS result in a badly toasted CD. Just TRY to tell the truth
sometimes, it does not hurt

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: You and Microsoft...
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 13:59:49 +0100

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Peter Köhlmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >

> > > Right.  First, remote rural areas can't get 56K, thus you were
> connecting
> > > at
> > > speeds of under 33.6, probably under 28.8.  Let's just say 28.8.
> > > Since there are 10 bits in each byte over modem (8 bits, 1 start, 1
> > > stop bit)
> > > that's 2880 bytes a second.  To download 100 meg would take 9.6 hours.
> > > Even a basic Linux machine will be at least 300 Meg, so that's over 27
> > > hours, or
> > > more than a day.  Not "overnight".
> > >
> > Sure, Windows would do that MUCH faster.
> > And what if I live in a city and have DSL (which I have).
> > This is at least 40 times as fast as your scenario above.
> > But even then, windows will fail
>
> DSL is not a dialup modem.  The point was that it's really not feasible to
> install Linux over a dialup modem.

Are you really that dense?
DSL can be like a Modem in any way you like, including need to connect,
getting new IP every time, all that.
DSL is for a new system to be installed in EVERY respect like a modem, only
faster. The system does not know what kind of hardware is making the
connection and it should not. It should be just as transparent as it is.
Accept that windows just can't do this, linux can, and thats it.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 12:10:48 -0500

pip wrote:

> Conrad Rutherford wrote:
> >
> > So, the product was out for nearly 7 months as open source with a complete
> > and fairly obvious backdoor ... took the community that long to find it?
>
> Why does it take M$ so long to correct their bugs?
> Take a wild guess.
>
> > Seeing as how it remained hidden perfectly for 6 years as closed source this
> > is nice proof that security through obscurity works just fine thank you. In
> > fact, had the code NOT been released, this backdoor would continue to have
> > existed.
>
> ..and [M$] systems would have been cracked thanks...
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"Would have been" ????  How about 'have been'...

You don't put a back door in unless you plan on using it.

> > I do not applaud the open source find - it was too long coming - instead I
> > decry Borland/Inprise's quality control - what the fuck! 6 years guys and no
> > one spotted this ???? Open source should not try to ride the backs of this
> > for their own self-glorification, that's sad.
>
> What is sad is that you can't even see the good points of opensource
> software. This leads to the conclusion that you don't write code and
> therefore probably are not worth talking to anyway!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Do any software engineering jobs pay $800,000/year?
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 17:17:01 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on 12 Jan 2001 18:41:16 GMT
<93nj4c$gid$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>jtnews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I developed my own securities analysis
>> software in java.
>
>Java?
>
>Oh yeah, because its platform independant or something.

Unless one uses "delegate" as a local variable name, perhaps. :-)

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- when is a non-keyword a keyword?
                    No electrons were harmed during this message.

------------------------------

From: "ono" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 18:24:04 +0100

> Did you know that windows2000 comes with iis5. It's not installed by
> default, but you
> have it running with 2 mouse-clicks (and NO REBOOT). You should try that
> sometime.
Ups.... sorry I didn't do my research propperly. It's more like 10
mouse-clicks (a wizard ;-)) and it does need a reboot.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 12:32:56 -0500

Conrad Rutherford wrote:

> So, the product was out for nearly 7 months as open source with a complete
> and fairly obvious backdoor ... took the community that long to find it?
>
> Seeing as how it remained hidden perfectly for 6 years as closed source this
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

False premise.  Whoever put it there knew it existed.  How often was
this exploited?

On a contrasting note:

Open source: problem detected and fixed in approx 7 months
Windows: problem not detected for over 72 months.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip,alt.os.linux,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Ed is the standard editor
Date: 13 Jan 2001 17:37:02 GMT

On TTK here.. wrote:

> just how much
> of my hardware and software was really "clones" of other hardware or
> software .. the Z80 was an 8080 clone, VDE was a WordStar clone, DOS
> was a CP/M clone, my AMD is an Intel clone, and Linux is a Unix clone.
>
>   -- TTK

Wasn't Linux originally a MINIX clone? Hence its compatibility with
Unix, while still retaining its unique qualities.

__

'The Earth may be flat, but History is circular.'
Vacuo 2000

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux IDE RAID Cards
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 17:41:44 GMT

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001 18:52:24 GMT, Chris Lopeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a good raid IDE controller for Linux.  Preferably
>ATA 100.  We have tried using the Promise controller with limited
>success.  We probably want to run 2 controllers in the server (for more
>speed) with a total of 6 drives.  4 of the drives running raid 1+0 and
>the other 2 forming a separate mirror.  The 2 in the mirror we also want
>to boot off of.

In another thread on this newsgroup:
On 13 Jan 2001 04:20:42 GMT, Eric Frey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>We recently installed IDE raid using a 3ware controller using 80 GB maxtor
>disks. We did put in 640 Gb of disk for about $3500 including moving our
>server to a bigger case. Before doing this I ran a lot of benchmarks using
>bonnie++ and in a striped/mirrored configuration we see speeds comparable
>or faster than a single Ultra160 75 GB 10krpm seagate drive. We saw even
>better speeds with 60 GB IBM IDE drives attached to the 3ware controller,
>but decided we wanted capacity over speed for our application. The 3ware
>controller is really nice. There is a separate channel for each drive (which
>means a lot of cables and we had to buy some longer teflon cables so we
>could reach all the drives). There is a web-based management program
>that seems nice and will automatically use spares to rebuild mirrored
>devices (I haven't tried this.) You can run in raid 0 (striped) raid 1
>(mirrored), or raid 1+0 (striped&mirrored). I only have 3 complaints:
>1. They don't have raid 5 yet so you have to sacrifice half your disk space
>to get redundancy.
>2. It takes a really long time (hours) to fsck a 320 Gb partition in the
> event of a crash (I really can't wait for some kind of journaling file system)
>3. When all those drives spin up it takes a _lot_ of power. Unlike scsi drives,
> the ide drives spin up at power on. Our 400W supply was maxed out. We added
> a 2nd power supply and moved half the drives to it.

Mark Post

Postmodern Consulting
Information Technology and Systems Management Consulting
To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.